HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Oilers - Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
ManofSteel55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverWatch View Post
You might not believe it but many people don't care for RNH.

For being a 1st overall draft pick he's just not that attractive a player. Doesn't mean he's bad it just means if a team is giving up (1st overall value) in a trade it needs to be for the right type of player.

Personally i believe RNH is the second worst 1st overall since the '04 lockout.

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Cosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
Taylor Hall
Nugent-Hopkins

Edmonton fans take that as an insult but seriously look at that list and tell me who he's better then besides Johnson?

Regardless Toronto would not give up anything close to what Edmonton would want for RNH. Not because they can't, because the player doesn't fit the price.
Even if that does end up being true...only one player up there, if we aren't including Nuge in the discussion, has not lived up to his potential. 2nd worst of that list could end up being an 85 point player.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
so playing through injury is valid but being treated for cancer isnt? pick a side and stick with it, you cant have both.
When did I ever say that being treated for cancer isn't a valid excuse for a dip in performance?

Old
08-16-2013, 12:21 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
You might not believe it but many people don't care for RNH.

For being a 1st overall draft pick he's just not that attractive a player. Doesn't mean he's bad it just means if a team is giving up (1st overall value) in a trade it needs to be for the right type of player.

Personally i believe RNH is the second worst 1st overall since the '04 lockout.

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Cosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
Taylor Hall
Nugent-Hopkins

Edmonton fans take that as an insult but seriously look at that list and tell me who he's better then besides Johnson?

Regardless Toronto would not give up anything close to what Edmonton would want for RNH. Not because they can't, because the player doesn't fit the price.

Being the 2nd worst of that impressive list does not make you a bad player.

Not caring to get that second worst player surely makes you a not very good evaluator of talent.

I would love for my favorite team to get that 2nd worst player, whoever he may be.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
To say the price would be too much for the Leafs is fair to say you wouldn't want him on the team demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of the sport.
I'll remember this lesson next time Phaneuf is being offered to the oilers.

Anyway, RNH adds skill but makes us a whole lot softer and weaker. Especially when we're giving away pieces that are more physical. So like I said, pass.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'll remember this lesson next time Phaneuf is being offered to the oilers.

Anyway, RNH adds skill but makes us a whole lot softer and weaker. Especially when we're giving away pieces that are more physical. So like I said, pass.
If you think that RNH is soft then you don't know much about his game. What he is is skinny. What he is not is soft, nor is he weak.

Old
08-16-2013, 04:55 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
i think this trade makes the oilers worse long term imo. JML, Cody Franson and Kulemin probably wouldnt be in the good for the oilers in the future. All this really does is increase their cap. Kadri is the only piece really worth anything and at most its a lateral move for a top 6 forward well what the Oilers really need our top 4 dmen and big physical two way bottom sixers.
Kulie is a big physical bottom 6er...

Not that you should be looking to trade your #1 center for him.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:01 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
i think this trade makes the oilers worse long term imo. JML, Cody Franson and Kulemin probably wouldnt be in the good for the oilers in the future. All this really does is increase their cap. Kadri is the only piece really worth anything and at most its a lateral move for a top 6 forward well what the Oilers really need our top 4 dmen and big physical two way bottom sixers.

Umm...Franson is a top 4 Dman right now (solid #4) and Kulemin is a physical bottom six guy who can contribute in scoring (he would have been second on Edmonton for hits last year)

Old
08-16-2013, 05:03 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If you think that RNH is soft then you don't know much about his game. What he is is skinny. What he is not is soft, nor is he weak.
Saying player A is softer than player B does not mean player A is soft.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:32 PM
McBaevid
Lottery Dynasty

Nobody on Toronto interests me enough to get rid of RNH

Old
08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Being the 2nd worst of that impressive list does not make you a bad player.

Not caring to get that second worst player surely makes you a not very good evaluator of talent.

I would love for my favorite team to get that 2nd worst player, whoever he may be.
The point is RNH isn't remotely on the same level as any of them. He's just not a quality 1st overall pick in the grand scheme of things.

I see RNH as a top notch playmaking "2nd line center". Think in the form of a Saku Koivu with Montreal.

Old
08-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
The point is RNH isn't remotely on the same level as any of them. He's just not a quality 1st overall pick in the grand scheme of things.

I see RNH as a top notch playmaking "2nd line center". Think in the form of a Saku Koivu with Montreal.
Let's examine the facts:

1) RNH was the consensus first overall pick projected by professional scouts to be the best hockey player born in his draft year.

2) In his first 102 games, RNH has produced at almost exactly the same level as Taylor Hall and John Tavares did in their first 102 games. He has scored significantly more points than Steven Stamkos did in his first 102 games.

3) He is a career plus player on one of the worst teams in the NHL during that period.

Your opinion that RNH is significantly worse than every other first overall pick drafted since 2004 and a career second line center, appears to be based solely on the fact that he's young.

For the purposes of context, here's what happened when he played against players his own age this year:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/306/IHM306000_85B_14_0.pdf

Last edited by Worraps: 08-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old
08-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Saying player A is softer than player B does not mean player A is soft.
In the hockey world if you're called soft, softer, whatever... It means you're a punk who doesn't pay the price other guys do. There's no sugar coating it. It's not like saying someone is slower.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Let's examine the facts:

1) RNH was the consensus first overall pick projected by professional scouts to be the best hockey player born in his draft year.

2) In his first year 102 games, RNH has produced at almost exactly the same level as Taylor Hall and John Tavares did in their first 102 games. He has scored significantly more points than Steven Stamkos did in his first 102 games.

3) He is a career plus player on one of the worst teams in the NHL during that period.

Your opinion that RNH is significantly worse than every other first overall pick drafted since 2004 appears to be based solely on the fact that he's young.

For the purposes of context, here's what happened when he played against players his own age this year:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/306/IHM306000_85B_14_0.pdf
That's fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion of RNH. All i'm saying is that "for me" he doesn't bring enough on the ice to warrant the praise.

I will say this tho, If Hopkins can transform his body and put power down in all areas it will change everything. Right now he thinks the game beyond what his body is capable of doing.

If he puts on some real muscle and adds an "explosive" element too all areas of his game it would change my opinion ten fold. But right now i see him as a player who is only capable of playing a "finesse" game and falls short in terms of pure physical talent.

Old
08-16-2013, 08:41 PM
tempest2i
The Gloaming

Quote:

This is great. It reminds me of the time @BReynoldsMN at Hockey Wilderness called Taylor Hall "at best, a second line player".

source

Old
08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

Quote:
That's fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion of RNH. All i'm saying is that "for me" he doesn't bring enough on the ice to warrant the praise.

I will say this tho, If Hopkins can transform his body and put power down in all areas it will change everything. Right now he thinks the game beyond what his body is capable of doing.

If he puts on some real muscle and adds an "explosive" element too all areas of his game it would change my opinion ten fold. But right now i see him as a player who is only capable of playing a "finesse" game and falls short in terms of pure physical talent.
How does he not bring enough on the ice? He's a 20 year old two way center who can pass the puck with the best in the league. When other teams are backing off him while he's running the PP, because they're scared he's going to make him look ridiculous, I'd say he's a pretty damn talented player. But he doesn't fight, so obviously, he's terrible, right?

Old
08-16-2013, 10:25 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Let's examine the facts:

2) In his first 102 games, RNH has produced at almost exactly the same level as Taylor Hall and John Tavares did in their first 102 games. He has scored significantly more points than Steven Stamkos did in his first 102 games.

(...)
To be fair, you have to remember the Barry Melrose factor...

Old
08-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How does he not bring enough on the ice? He's a 20 year old two way center who can pass the puck with the best in the league. When other teams are backing off him while he's running the PP, because they're scared he's going to make him look ridiculous, I'd say he's a pretty damn talented player. But he doesn't fight, so obviously, he's terrible, right?
That's entirely to do with systems. Nice try tho.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:19 PM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

Quote:

You're right. There's no way a player can be a star by playing the type of game you described.

Except for the best player in the history of the game of course...

Old
08-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
You're right. There's no way a player can be a star by playing the type of game you described.

Except for the best player in the history of the game of course...
Now you are comparing RNH to Gretzky?

Edmonton fans

Old
08-16-2013, 11:30 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

OK then.

No Martin St. Louis for you, no Phil Kessel...

Old
08-16-2013, 11:31 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

Edmonton fans
You really understood his point...

Bravo.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

Quote:

Edmonton fans
As beauchamp mentioned, you completely missed my point.

Skill in the game of hockey isn't determined purely by physical strength / size. I brought up Gretzky to prove this point as he was neither big nor strong but is still unanimously considered the greatest hockey player of all time.

RNH, like Gretzky, won't be able to dominate physically. That doesn't mean he can't be great.

Old
08-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
OK then.

No Martin St. Louis for you, no Phil Kessel...
No you don't get it. Phil Kessel has "explosive" speed and an "explosive" shot. Those are the two exceptional things he brings to the game.

RNH brings nothing explosive to the game. He's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't have a hard shot etc etc etc.

He's just a weak kid that sees the ice well and can pass good. Sorry but he's just not that impressive.

Old
08-17-2013, 12:15 AM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

Quote:
No you don't get it. Phil Kessel has "explosive" speed and an "explosive" shot. Those are the two exceptional things he brings to the game.

RNH brings nothing explosive to the game. He's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't have a hard shot etc etc etc.

He's just a weak kid that sees the ice well and can pass good. Sorry but he's just not that impressive.
No response for me? That's too bad.

If explosiveness is a requirement to be a star player in hockey I want you to explain why Gretzky was the most dominant player to ever play the game. What was it that set him apart so drastically from the rest of the players?

Old
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Drennan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
No response for me? That's too bad.

If explosiveness is a requirement to be a star player in hockey I want you to explain why Gretzky was the most dominant player to ever play the game. What was it that set him apart so drastically from the rest of the players?
Completely different time. The game was slower and it awarded the players who thought the game well. Not to mention he played in an era of garbage goaltending and overall terrible competition. Considering only 3 players from Gretzky's era wen't to the HOF that should be a good indicator.

I'm not going to get in a Gretzky debate because i honestly don't care nor do i believe he was the greatest ever. That goes to Mario Lemieux.

Closed Thread