HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keenan/Lindros Make ESPN's Top 20 Most Overrated List

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2005, 08:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2565
Keenan/Lindros Make ESPN's Top 20 Most Overrated List

ESPN Classic aired two episodes of their "Who's Number 1?" show recently. One dealt with "Most Overrated" and the other "Game-Winners."

Most Overrated: Eric Lindros finished 4th and Mike Keenan 18th and were the lone hockey figures to make it. Anna Kournikova finished number 1. The list varied from Joe Namath to the Indy 500 to the NBA draft lottery.

Game-Winners: By game-winners it was literally the last play of the game, Bobby Orr's goal against the St. Louis Blues in Game 4 of the 1970 Finals was the lone hockey mention. Bobby Thomson's 1951 home run for the Giants over the Dodgers finished number 1.

What other hockey references could have/should have made the list? Again, it had to be the last play of the game. Keith Primeau's goal in 5-OT's came to mind especially considering the time of the day.

Old
06-27-2005, 08:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
ESPN Classic aired two episodes of their "Who's Number 1?" show recently. One dealt with "Most Overrated" and the other "Game-Winners."

Most Overrated: Eric Lindros finished 4th and Mike Keenan 18th and were the lone hockey figures to make it. Anna Kournikova finished number 1. The list varied from Joe Namath to the Indy 500 to the NBA draft lottery.

Game-Winners: By game-winners it was literally the last play of the game, Bobby Orr's goal against the St. Louis Blues in Game 4 of the 1970 Finals was the lone hockey mention. Bobby Thomson's 1951 home run for the Giants over the Dodgers finished number 1.

What other hockey references could have/should have made the list? Again, it had to be the last play of the game. Keith Primeau's goal in 5-OT's came to mind especially considering the time of the day.

Well the 5OT game was #3 on ESPN's top 10 games of 2000.

Other than that the only other one would be the Rangers/Canucks Game 7 in 1994

Old
06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Well the 5OT game was #3 on ESPN's top 10 games of 2000.

Other than that the only other one would be the Rangers/Canucks Game 7 in 1994

I think they were shooting for something dramatic that happened on the last play of the game to cause a win/loss. What surprised me is that Game 6 of the 1986 World Series didn't make the cut (at least, I don't recall seeing it).

Old
06-27-2005, 09:02 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
To tell you the truth, injuries aside, Lindros is one of the most underrated players right now.

Old
06-27-2005, 09:13 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
To tell you the truth, injuries aside, Lindros is one of the most underrated players right now.
I agree 100%

Old
06-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
That's because really nothing is expected of him. If he is able to be signed by any team, and produce 50-60 points and stay healthy, ok sorry I'm way ahead of myself. If he produces 30 points in one of his shortened seasons, I think people will be surprised.

Old
06-27-2005, 09:30 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
That's because really nothing is expected of him. If he is able to be signed by any team, and produce 50-60 points and stay healthy, ok sorry I'm way ahead of myself. If he produces 30 points in one of his shortened seasons, I think people will be surprised.
No, it's because few remember pre-injury Lindros. The beef with Bobby and everything afterwards is all people remember. Lindros' inclusion is just further proof of how out of touch ESPN is with hockey.

Old
06-27-2005, 11:17 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
I agree 100%
me too.

Old
06-28-2005, 01:40 AM
ProctorSilex

Quote:
You said it perfectly.

Old
06-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Is that a typo? The guy is nothing special unless he plays a physical game. For some reason when Lindros plays physical his game excells to a level very few can touch. The problem is once he gets physical he gets hurt. Underrated?!? Not at all.

Old
06-28-2005, 12:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Bill Barilko's goal is an obvious answer

Old
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Is that a typo? The guy is nothing special unless he plays a physical game. For some reason when Lindros plays physical his game excells to a level very few can touch. The problem is once he gets physical he gets hurt. Underrated?!? Not at all.
He was a ppg player just two seasons ago. How much more do you expect from him? He would easily crack the top 25 in terms of points if he was able to play at least 70 games the past two seasons.

Old
06-28-2005, 02:55 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:

the most overrated list was dead on...Joe Namath, Kournikova, ND football, Indy 500, the NBA slam dunk contest, all bulls' eyes...

I'm impressed for ESPN to consider hockey for one list TWICE...overrated in the NHL...Bure, Thornton, Fleury, others?

Old
06-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98
He was a ppg player just two seasons ago. How much more do you expect from him? He would easily crack the top 25 in terms of points if he was able to play at least 70 games the past two seasons.
Thats the problem. Once he plays well, he gets hurt. Two years ago her was playing great again. He was physical and all over the ice. He got hurt again and came back the scared little boy that we all remember.

Old
06-29-2005, 02:22 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Lindros was overhyped, not overrated. He was MVP of the League back in 1996 for christ's sake. Overrated is someone like Sergei Federov. Dominated 2ND line center, average first line center.

Old
06-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Lindros was overhyped, not overrated. He was MVP of the League back in 1996 for christ's sake. Overrated is someone like Sergei Federov. Dominated 2ND line center, average first line center.
That's pretty contradicting. Fedorov was MVP at one time as well. So what's it gonna be? Both suck or both are good, if that's your reasoning...

Old
06-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Oh, and I believe Lindros was MVP in '95...

Old
06-29-2005, 07:42 AM
JCD

Lindros has become under-rated, I completely agree.

People see this beaten down post-concussion Lindros and forget what a powerhouse he was before injury. In his prime, he was undeniably one of the best players in the game and one of the best players in the last 25 years.

Don't confuse having a career derailed by injuries with one that is over-rated. People seem to forget that Lindros had one of the top-5 points-per-game of all time (and one of the better post-season PPG as well), tied for an Art Ross and won a Hart, an ace on face-offs all while being one of the most physically dominating players in the league. He was indeed the total package.

I suspect people calling him over-rated didn't see him play much in the 90's.

As for Fedorov, the guy is about as elite as they come. When he won the Hart, he was the RedWings #1 center (Yzerman missed most of the season). He is a multiple Selke winner and a play-off super-stud. He is the complete package for a player who can line up anywhere on the ice. He has even played defensemen in a pinch. If you could put 5 Fedorovs on the ice, you would be the Cup favorite.

Old
06-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

I suspect people calling him over-rated didn't see him play much in the 90's.

I watched him play a lot. He was great back then, but remember that he was going to be the next great one. He was rated as the next great one. Even at his best he was no #99 or #66. Heck, Foresburg (sp?) was playing just as good if not better.

Old
06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I watched him play a lot. He was great back then, but remember that he was going to be the next great one. He was rated as the next great one. Even at his best he was no #99 or #66. Heck, Foresburg (sp?) was playing just as good if not better.
He was the next one. He wasn't a 99 or a 66, but he was the next best in line.

Lindros at his best trumps Forsberg at his best.

Lindros has never played on a team as stacked as the Avs. Forsberg played 2nd fiddle to Sakic for most of his career. Avs stacked up Forsberg's line with the best linemates available (Lemeiux, Kamensky, Drury, Hejduk) while Sakic was asked to carry lesser talents far more frequently (Young, Deadmarsh, Simon; not that they are bad players, just not as accomplished by comparison). At his best, with Sakic drawing checking attention of him and high-end linemates, Forsberg put up 1.41 pp/g. Lindros, without having nearly the same caliber of support, put up 1.57 pp/g at his best. For the first 5 seasons of his career, Lindros was a 1.5 (1.47 to be exact) pp/g player. that is equal to Jagr-esque offensive production. At no point in his career has Forsberg had a single season at that pace, let alone average that over 5.

Defensively, Forsberg has Lindros licked, but Lindros was more dominant offensively, physically (Forsberg is a stud here too, but not to the same degree) or at face-offs. Does the defensive advantage cancel that out? Both are great players, but Lindros did more with less.

In 1996, if you had to list the 5 best players in the NHL, Lindros made everyone's list. Might have hated him for his attitude, but there was no denying his dominance as a player. He was The Next One. That he wasn't of the caliber of Mario or Wayne didn't make him any less of the stud he was.

Old
06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
ProctorSilex

^^

Old
06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
was joe carter's home run against the phillies on that list?

Old
06-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Shadowtron

I'm surprised Matteau's Game 7 OT game winner in the '94 ECF against the Devs didn't make the list. That was pretty exciting moment...IMO.

Old
06-29-2005, 03:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo
was joe carter's home run against the phillies on that list?

Yes, that made it.

Old
06-29-2005, 03:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I'm surprised Matteau's Game 7 OT game winner in the '94 ECF against the Devs didn't make the list. That was pretty exciting moment...IMO.

Good call. Yeah, you are right. And as much as I hate to say it, Nystrom's 1980 goal was more worthy than some of what I saw in this countdown, IMHO.

Closed Thread