HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much damage has the Alfredsson fiasco done to the Sens reputation?

Old
08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
salomonster

vCash: 500
It's over, the 11 era. Get over it, he had max 2 years left in him.

Hockey is business, for both sides. End of story.

I will always love Alfie but the end of his career is here.

I prefer seeing his spot go. Good for him for the contract he got.

Sure it would have been nice to have him back and retire a Sen but it's not happening.

I prefer having Ryan playing with Spezz and having to fill 11's spot rather than try to audition one of our young guys with Spezz.

Alfie's role on the ice is replaceable. His stature and poise not. But he's only got max 2 years in the NHL.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
I am sorry that melnyk is cheap, but money does not grow on trees you know. Its unfortunate that we have to have an internal budget. We just have to live with it. Getting a new owner might not be the solution either.
Agreed.

Unless a new owner can magically transplant the city of Ottawa about 500 km further away from Montreal and Toronto, and brainwash the local Habs/Laffs fans into becoming hardcore Sens fans overnight, then a new owner won't accomplish anything beyond what Melynk has already done.

We're a small market team sandwiched between the two biggest markets in the league.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
BK201

i don't think it hurt the reputation TBH.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Well going through the responses, most people don't think it'll really affect the team's reputation. Sort of different from what people on twitter were saying, where the general consensus seemed to be that management and ownership messed up, and it reflects badly on the team. Good to see the other side of the coin too though.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Senators65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Well going through the responses, most people don't think it'll really affect the team's reputation. Sort of different from what people on twitter were saying, where the general consensus seemed to be that management and ownership messed up, and it reflects badly on the team. Good to see the other side of the coin too though.
It doesn't effect our reputation. Its not totally the sens organizations fault. Most of the blame should fall on j.p. barry imo

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Courty

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
It's over, the 11 era. Get over it, he had max 2 years left in him.

Hockey is business, for both sides. End of story.

I will always love Alfie but the end of his career is here.

I prefer seeing his spot go. Good for him for the contract he got.

Sure it would have been nice to have him back and retire a Sen but it's not happening.

I prefer having Ryan playing with Spezz and having to fill 11's spot rather than try to audition one of our young guys with Spezz.

Alfie's role on the ice is replaceable. His stature and poise not. But he's only got max 2 years in the NHL
You hit the nail on the head, one of the most rational and logical posts about this topic I have read today. All great points

Courty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

Typical reaction of someone in denial. Players like Alfie are generational franchise players. You telling me that the Sens could not come up with 2m+ to keep Alfie around? They clearly wanted to rid themselves of 5-6 million off the cap, and now are playing the PR battle to blame Alfie.
I don't think I'm in denial at all. I just think that too many put alfie on a pedestal, they think he deserved whatever he wants. But really at some point you gotta move on.

I would have been very happy paying alfie more than he deserves for his age and skill, but I wouldn't break the bank for it. At some point the sens need to move on, have another player step up leadership wise, and they need to do what's best for the team.

I wish Alfie the best. But I do think he should have happily gone his way and feel this press conference was not needed. Just seems whinny IMO.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 06:56 AM
The Fuhr*

It does not really matter... Alfredsson is 41

If this happened 10 years ago if be upset

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:10 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
ALfredson took less than market value a few times to help the team out. He was the good foot soldier a number of times. When Ottawa looked to once again under value hi he probably thought here we go again. His agent is talking in his ear saying you are worth more. Turns out he is. I am glad Ottawa does not have to pay him 10-12 million for the next two years but you can't argue that he was underpaid for parts of his career. Hockey players have pride to be making so little last year as the captain of the team was not right. I am sure management held to well a contracts a contract. Then it was his turn to say well a free agent is exactly that free.
There are lots of people that question his leadership. I think we as fans are going to see whether or not that was at all true.

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:19 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
It may be that its a result of and reveals already existing problems in the Senators organization, the internal cap, Melnyk's money problems.

And maybe that will have more influence on whether or not free agents want to come here and whether players will re sign.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:43 AM
DeVoice

look I may be old compared to most but the only thing that is changed from this sort of thing happening in the 70's,80's ect was NO INTERNET to pass every little detail around.
every time I hear this I want to crank "Panic on the streets of London" by the Smiths.
This is a good club that Can and Does make money and every season more fans not only from Ottawa loyals but all over show their colours. In Sarnia in the 90's I could count Sens fans on 1 hand. Now I see I girl in her mid 20's in a Ryan shirt in the mall just last Saturday! While all this money crap does worry me I still have faith that whatever the outcome of the money side of things the SENS will be a Good team and Brian has done a great job with obviously a boss who Acts more like that crazy relative from the family picnic then a business guru. Now the websites teem of stories and gossip like every other year as most are getting the itch to SEE games.
If the team is sold or he is forced to partner up so be it. To move from Ottawa would be a fools choice.

Go Sens Forever.
sorry about the rant....just can't wait for Hockey to start.

DeVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

If anything I've lost respect for Alfredsson. I've never had a huge amount for him before this whole ordeal, but to me it just looks like he is bitter and trying to get back at the Sens at this point. There was literally no reason to hold this press conference or talk about this stuff any further now that he is already gone to another team.

Honestly, just because he chose to play out a contract that he wasn't expected to play doesn't mean we should overpay for his services at 41 years old. Sorry Alfie -- you've been great for us, but we have to look at the now and the future.

Ultimately it doesn't matter anymore. I don't think that anyone on the team is going to be affected by this because we're not going to lowball players that are worth it on the ice -- on top of that we have a stronger team moving forward with MacArthur and Ryan than we would have had with Clarkson and Alfredsson. I'll take that.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

Another scapegoat. Barry was doing his job and when you are an UFA you are holding the cards. You don't negotiate against yourself when other teams are willing to accommodate your value.
Alfie had more leverage over the Sens then nearly any other negotiation in team history. Everyone knows that if push came to shove the Sens would end up paying whatever it took to keep Alfie....why would you ignore calls from a desperate GM?

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
ScottyGreene
The other guys

"You either die a hero... or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain."

-Alfie

ScottyGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:01 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

It's tarnished!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Mawlrat

The whole thing about cap circumvention is a bunch of fluff. Almost all longer contracts signed post 2004 lockout were designed that way. Only recently have they changed the legalities for such contracts in balancing out the amounts appropriately.

The only reputation, in my mind, that has been tarnished after all this fiasco is the already very low reputation of JP Barry. He was the middle man. If both sides don`t seem to be communicating well, the middle man is to blame. Barry said right out he was offended by Murray`s criticism in the middle of negotiations and stopped contact. Grow a pair, Barry.

I just wish Alfie gets to watch Ottawa hoist the cup this year. That will be the best possible thing; to see his reaction. He was wrong.

This team is now motivated to prove him wrong. Maybe, just maybe, Alfie is being a strong leadership role by being motivation to the rest of the group to prove him wrong. I know it won`t happen but I almost want the slogan of this year to be something along the lines of ``prove him/them wrong``.

Mawlrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Matte99

In Sweden, Senators aren't exactly described as an honorable organisation after this. The risk is obvious that Ottawa destroyed the good reputation they had as a friendly and good organisation for Swedish prospects.

The internal budget also means the Sens wont have much of a chance to win the cup and thats even more damaging. Somehow you get the feeling that 7 million or 12 million over two season would have been well worth paying to avoid this.

I feel for the fans, this is just so bad and it could have been so good with the new signings + Alfie.

Do you really believe EK will stay in Ottawa when his contract is up? I just cant see it after what the organisation did to Alfie.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:22 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Do you really believe EK will stay in Ottawa when his contract is up? I just cant see it after what the organisation did to Alfie.
As far as I can tell, Karlsson is not Alfie. Different people. What we did to Hossa was much worse.

But I agree that Ottawa should have paid up to Alfie.

Last edited by HavlatMach9: 08-16-2013 at 12:28 PM.
HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
He's locked up until 2019. I don't think this will have any baring on what EK will do 6 years from now. If he were a free agent this year or next, it may be different.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:35 PM
JohnnySpectacular

I sincerely think the only serious damage done by this whole thing has been to Sens fans' psyche.

Literally a month before this crap, everything was sunshine and roses - great prospect pool, strong team with a lot of room to grow firmly nestled in the 'dark horse contender' realm then...BOOM! Alfie leaves, we'll never sign a UFA or impending free agent again, all will fall to ash and ruin.

Simple reality, sans PR disaster. Sens lost out on an aging free agent who wanted a very large contract that just didn't fit the team's plans. Nobody minded when that same story played out for Filip Kuba or Sergei Gonchar. The sun will rise tomorrow, Alfie will still be a Red Wing and I, personally, will care a whole lot more about what guys wearing Sens logos are doing.

JohnnySpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Melnyk's at it again

Quote:
SENS' MELNYK BLAMES AGENT BARRY FOR ALFREDSSON'S EXIT

Daniel Alfredsson's explanation for leaving the Ottawa Senators and signing with the Detroit Red Wings sparked plenty of reaction from the principals involved, including his agent J.P. Barry, Senators general manager Bryan Murray and even NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

And it didn't take long for Eugene Melnyk to weigh in as well.

The Senators' team owner was quick to defend Murray and their side of the offseason's biggest story and took direct aim at Barry for Alfredsson's exit from the nation's capital.

"For anyone to even suggest the remote possibility that Bryan Murray is not fully honest in his clear recollection of events should be ashamed of themselves," Melnyk told TSN on Friday. "I point the finger squarely on JP Barry, the man who blessed us with the (Dany) Heatley mess."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429891

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:45 PM
ScottyGreene
The other guys

There goes another bridge.

ScottyGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Aussiesenator

Alfreddsson and the sens were like a married couple . When u split up it always ends badly.
I think he just wanted too much money. Come on 5.5 with the cap going Down.
He was going to retire this year or next so we were going to have to get used to him not being around soon anyway..
Ottawa signed two good players and think we are a stronger team now with more depth..
C Mac is going to have a good year on either of those top 2 lines.

Aussiesenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Senators65

Does anyone get the feel that it actually is j.p. barrys fault? He probably hates eugene melnyk and he wanted to screw him over. So he just told alfie to go sign somewhere else. We can all say goodbye to curtis lazar in the future being that j.p. barry is his agent as well.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
Does anyone get the feel that it actually is j.p. barrys fault. He probably hates eugene melnyk and he wanted to screw him over. So he just told alfie to sign somewhere else. We can all say goodbye curtis lazar in the future being that j.p. barry is his agent as well.
I get the feeling JP wasn't being quite as professional as he should've been. But, ultimately, it was Alfredsson's decision. I get the fact he made some team-friendly deals in the past - but it was his choice. It's not exactly a 'sacrifice for the team' if you expect to get the money back on a generous retirement contract, ya know?

Not worried about Lazar, or any other of JP's clients. In reality, the only guys who can really screw the team over are the stars (love what I hear so far from Lazar, but the chances of him being a first line 90-point star are slim). It would hurt to eventually lose him, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Besides, dirty dealings or hardball tactics for a young player won't exactly help his own reputation around the league, either.

But, either way, it's not fun watching our team go through this mudslinging. Murray worked so damned hard the last 6-10 years building this team and making us a classy organization that's known for treating players right and doing right by them (Bishop, Fisher come to mind). It's a shame to see that hard work get sullied like this.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote