HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What ever happened to grandfathering?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
The money from Europe isn't there, the NHL is the only league where the rookies will get close to a million dollars without having proven that they deserve it.
I guess Kovalchuk was paid in Monopoly money this year? Or did the people running Aks Bar Kazan have a gun held to their head?

Plus last year the owner of Hamilton's former proposed WHA franchise offered Crosby a multi-million contract that was gauranteed whether the league got off the ground or not.

But I suppose the only reason he offered Crosby that money was because his hands were tied by the WHA's collective bargaining agreement.

And why is that Swiss club negotiating with Crosby? Are they completely out of their minds?

Old
07-12-2005, 03:44 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I guess Kovalchuk was paid in Monopoly money this year? Or did the people running Aks Bar Kazan have a gun held to their head?

And why is that Swiss club negotiating with Crosby? Are they completely out of their minds?
You'd think there were professional hockey leagues outside of North America for all the foolish talk you hear.

Everyone knows there is no money outside the deflated US Greenback, and couldn't possibly be billions in Russia from their oil revenues. And the Swiss, where would they find money? Maybe a rich American uncle died?

j/k, and don't bug me right now I have to look at my Canadian Navel!

Old
07-12-2005, 04:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Plus last year the owner of Hamilton's former proposed WHA franchise offered Crosby a multi-million contract that was gauranteed whether the league got off the ground or not.

But I suppose the only reason he offered Crosby that money was because his hands were tied by the WHA's collective bargaining agreement.

Kovalchuk wasn't offered that kind of money as an 18 year old and for the same reason that Crosby won't be.

Lugano said that Crosby's agent approached them, not the other way around.

Old
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Kovalchuk wasn't offered that kind of money as an 18 year old and for the same reason that Crosby won't be.

Lugano said that Crosby's agent approached them, not the other way around.
I'd sure like to know which CBA forced Ak-Bars to give Nikolai Khabibulin all that money this year.

Old
07-12-2005, 08:15 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I'd sure like to know which CBA forced Ak-Bars to give Nikolai Khabibulin all that money this year.
I'll wait for the day that Ak-Bars starts giving out long term guaranteed contracts, then I will be worried.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Bruwinz37

UPDATE:

No Grandfathering.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
UPDATE:

No Grandfathering.
No problem .. All Leafs Grand Fathers are UFA now so we don't need that clause and never did for that matter.

Too bad No Trolling wasn't also a clause

Old
07-14-2005, 07:08 AM
SENSible1*

No grandfathering.

No restructuring of current contracts.

One time cap free buyout--with no option to re-acquire those players for one year.

2003 draftees rights retained.

Bad bay for Massager's fantasy scenarios.

It looks like the Leafs will be getting a very significant overhaul.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
No problem .. All Leafs Grand Fathers are UFA now so we don't need that clause and never did for that matter.

Too bad No Trolling wasn't also a clause
Too bad being a NHLPA schill and spin doctor wasnt a paying job for you.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
Too bad being a NHLPA schill and spin doctor wasnt a paying job for you.
Money matters.

By the way, are you a Bruins fan?

Old
07-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSuck
No grandfathering.

No restructuring of current contracts.

One time cap free buyout--with no option to re-acquire those players for one year.

2003 draftees rights retained.

Bad bay for Massager's fantasy scenarios.

It looks like the Leafs will be getting a very significant overhaul.
So

UFA at 27 or 7 years of experience in 3 years ..

Chara and Redden UFA next off season .. Hossa in 2 ..

Working on a new plan now that the rules are known, before those where based on specualtion ..

Lets call it " Addiition by Subtraction " .. I think you are going to love it . .

I think you are going to be disappointed when you see the lure of the city of Toronto under a new CBA and the magic of that becoming a new currancy in the NHL ..

PS .. 2003 are not really retained .. The teams have 10 exclusive days to sign them now or they re-enter and since you are very young and foolish still .. The thread and conversation was "COULD" and not "WOULD" they become UFA ..

Old
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Ronald Pagan

No one has yet to prove that the big city lights of Toronto will gather more UFAs. It's a well (very well) postulated theory by leaf fans but there's no pudding. It's not like the Leafs were attracting UFAs before and it's unlikely they'll attract more UFAs after.

I just wish you idiots would shut up with this nonsense.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
I just wish you idiots would shut up with this nonsense.
Pierre Lebrun, "would you want to play in Boston?"

Old
07-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Pierre Lebrun, "would you want to play in Boston?"
Player agent Rick Curren was on the Fan yesterday and said the new NHL currancy will be lifestyle and choice of city .. He went on to say that among his clients Toronto is easily in the top 5% of teams that players like and request to play for .. He says playing in your home Province for UFA will be a stronger draw then it ever was ..

They used the Nashville and Toronto example and said that with money being equal he knows clients would more then likely chose TO .. He said he wouldn't even be surprized is a group of players got together and said lets offer our services as bargain prices for a few years and try to win the Cup ..That would happen with a team line Toronto as well or big market spending to the max and going for the Cup each year. He said the climate in Florida or LA may also be a draw but some markets will have a tough time attracting top UFA players.

Leaf haters seem to get annoyed with this kind of talk, must really burn people .. it was reported on TSN the reporters that Lindros would accept min 450-500k and some performances to join the Leafs and both sides have had talks ..

Old
07-14-2005, 12:22 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Player agent Rick Curren was on the Fan yesterday and said the new NHL currancy will be lifestyle and choice of city .. He went on to say that among his clients Toronto is easily in the top 5% of teams that players like and request to play for .. He says playing in your home Province for UFA will be a stronger draw then it ever was ..
Seeing how there are 30 teams, would that make us one of the top 1.5 teams? What would be the other half team?

Old
07-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Seeing how there are 30 teams, would that make us one of the top 1.5 teams? What would be the other half team?
I think he said 5 -10% in fact or top 5 teams not sure I was watching and listening for hours yesterday ..

..but hey for Leaf fans it doesn't really matter as we all know TO is the #1 place for all players and sadly for them we can't make them all happy .

Closed Thread