HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Hiller or Fasth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  #26
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,836
vCash: 500
I want to see Fasth play more than 24 games at the NHL level before I call him a better goalie than Hiller. People are getting way ahead of themselves and forgetting about guys like Hedberg, Boucher, Carey, Elliott and a number of other flash in the pan goalies who ended up being career backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
We didn't do that to Etem to begin with. Stop trying to revise history.

Gibson has played all of 40 minutes of professional hockey. Etem had, what? 30 or so games in the AHL before he played in Anaheim? And he still didn't stick until he was sent back to the AHL to work on his all-around game. Unless Gibson blows everyone away at training camp, and maybe even then, he's almost certainly going to spend some time in the AHL. There is no need to rush him, and plenty of reasons not to.
Wasn't Ducksgo the poster who guaranteed Etem would get 30 goals in his first NHL season? Seems like he was wrong about Etem, not anyone else.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 06:01 PM
  #27
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I want to see Fasth play more than 24 games at the NHL level before I call him a better goalie than Hiller. People are getting way ahead of themselves and forgetting about guys like Hedberg, Boucher, Carey, Elliott and a number of other flash in the pan goalies who ended up being career backups.



Wasn't Ducksgo the poster who guaranteed Etem would get 30 goals in his first NHL season? Seems like he was wrong about Etem, not anyone else.
Can't do it with fourth line role. Its funny how some fans are split between top 6 mins in AHL and if Selanne retires he might have a top 6 role on the ducks. Kinda confusing if you ask me? or are we just on the confused list of things? If Etem gets a top 6 role this season I can see 30 goals incoming. I also see Gibson getting a chance as our top goaltender this season once he gets the callup from the AHL. As soon as Fasth or Hiller slips chooo chooo!!! Incoming its Gibson on the way to save the day!!!!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 06:40 PM
  #28
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Can't do it with fourth line role. Its funny how some fans are split between top 6 mins in AHL and if Selanne retires he might have a top 6 role on the ducks. Kinda confusing if you ask me? or are we just on the confused list of things? If Etem gets a top 6 role this season I can see 30 goals incoming. I also see Gibson getting a chance as our top goaltender this season once he gets the callup from the AHL. As soon as Fasth or Hiller slips chooo chooo!!! Incoming its Gibson on the way to save the day!!!!
Are we doing this again? Yeah, I guess we're doing this again.

Look at Etem's AHL numbers. A lack of opportunity was not what was holding him back. His offensive game just wasn't there yet(and he wasn't exactly playing with schlubs on the 4th line), which was exactly what many were saying about Etem. The only question was whether he would be able to be effective in a depth role. It certainly didn't look like it, at first, and in that he's probably lucky he got 30 games in the AHL before the NHL season started back up. To his credit, he worked hard and made those changes, and he became an effective depth player. But really, stop pretending that the team held him back, because it is plainly obvious to people who watched the Ducks(and the Admirals) regularly that Etem's offensive game just wasn't there yet. His playoff performance is another matter entirely(and, again, proof that it wasn't a lack of opportunity holding him back), and if he can keep playing like that I'd put money on him getting a top six role. If.

If Anaheim needs Gibson to save the day, we've got bigger problems than Hiller or Fasth slipping up. Unless both Hiller and Fasth get injured, the Ducks should never be in the position where they need a 20 year old goalie, with no NHL experience, to save the day.

__________________
"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice" -- Polonius
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:23 PM
  #29
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Are we doing this again? Yeah, I guess we're doing this again.

Look at Etem's AHL numbers. A lack of opportunity was not what was holding him back. His offensive game just wasn't there yet(and he wasn't exactly playing with schlubs on the 4th line), which was exactly what many were saying about Etem. The only question was whether he would be able to be effective in a depth role. It certainly didn't look like it, at first, and in that he's probably lucky he got 30 games in the AHL before the NHL season started back up. To his credit, he worked hard and made those changes, and he became an effective depth player. But really, stop pretending that the team held him back, because it is plainly obvious to people who watched the Ducks(and the Admirals) regularly that Etem's offensive game just wasn't there yet. His playoff performance is another matter entirely(and, again, proof that it wasn't a lack of opportunity holding him back), and if he can keep playing like that I'd put money on him getting a top six role. If.

If Anaheim needs Gibson to save the day, we've got bigger problems than Hiller or Fasth slipping up. Unless both Hiller and Fasth get injured, the Ducks should never be in the position where they need a 20 year old goalie, with no NHL experience, to save the day.
Not reading you're whole paragraph but we are messing **** up this season. Selanne retire now and Jimmy Howard we going to war this is my Cup!!! Gibby get some padds on we are getting this man. Etem top 6 lets go I've been watching you're YouTube over and over and we Are going to battle lets gooooooo!!! **** yah man lets go ducks!!!!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:27 PM
  #30
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Are we doing this again? Yeah, I guess we're doing this again.

Look at Etem's AHL numbers. A lack of opportunity was not what was holding him back. His offensive game just wasn't there yet(and he wasn't exactly playing with schlubs on the 4th line), which was exactly what many were saying about Etem. The only question was whether he would be able to be effective in a depth role. It certainly didn't look like it, at first, and in that he's probably lucky he got 30 games in the AHL before the NHL season started back up. To his credit, he worked hard and made those changes, and he became an effective depth player. But really, stop pretending that the team held him back, because it is plainly obvious to people who watched the Ducks(and the Admirals) regularly that Etem's offensive game just wasn't there yet. His playoff performance is another matter entirely(and, again, proof that it wasn't a lack of opportunity holding him back), and if he can keep playing like that I'd put money on him getting a top six role. If.

If Anaheim needs Gibson to save the day, we've got bigger problems than Hiller or Fasth slipping up. Unless both Hiller and Fasth get injured, the Ducks should never be in the position where they need a 20 year old goalie, with no NHL experience, to save the day.
It's okay Soj you're down for one if you're down for 2 it's also okay,

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:05 PM
  #31
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 8,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
Ducksgo on that good **** today.
Ok Lil Weezy!!!

Anyway, I wouldn't trust Fasth to be a starter until he has handled the riggors of the NHL of an entire season. Not necessarily as the starter, but at least like 40 games like Hiller did.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:33 PM
  #32
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Not reading you're whole paragraph but we are messing **** up this season. Selanne retire now and Jimmy Howard we going to war this is my Cup!!! Gibby get some padds on we are getting this man. Etem top 6 lets go I've been watching you're YouTube over and over and we Are going to battle lets gooooooo!!! **** yah man lets go ducks!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It's okay Soj you're down for one if you're down for 2 it's also okay,
Does anybody have a Ducksgo translator?

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:42 AM
  #33
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 133
I am confident that Fasth will take the reins this year. Hillers weak goals just KILL us. I know all goalies allow weak goals, but christ his have been the most frustrating out of any ducks goalie I can remember.

Not sure why, but I haven't had confidence in Hiller since the 2010 Olympics

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:33 PM
  #34
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
How would it be smart to play Hiller a lot in the first half of the season then trade him (assuming he plays well), you then have to put in Fasth who would of played a lot less and expecting him to at least match Hiller's level of play with far less match time during the season?

That seems rather counter productive to me.

If Hiller is still the #1 at the 41 game mark, I doubt he'll be the one traded.
Fasth is a NHL goalie. All it takes is 2-3 games to get into a groove and playing well. Look at Ray Emery, he was 17-1 last season. I think it is smart to play Hiller 28-31 games of the first half of the season. Fasth did not show any signs of not being an NHL goalie last year before his injury.
That isn't counter productive. It is making sure you get value for an asset. Something that we need to do. I don't care if we get a 2nd round pick for Hiller. We can't let him walk for nothing and we aren't resigning him. We have a chance to have a solid young and cheap goalie tandem. That is huge in a very low cap space league. Hiller will have value cause he is in a contract year and a Eastern team will take him as a backup for a 2nd rounder and a mid tier prospect. Or we use him and try and get a top Dman as part of some type of package. We bring up Andersen and we are good to go. Andersen plays 5-10 games down the stretch.

I really don't see the "counter productive" in that...

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:51 PM
  #35
PhoenyX
Registered User
 
PhoenyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
I am confident that Fasth will take the reins this year. Hillers weak goals just KILL us. I know all goalies allow weak goals, but christ his have been the most frustrating out of any ducks goalie I can remember.

Not sure why, but I haven't had confidence in Hiller since the 2010 Olympics
I agree. I know Hiller and Fasth had pretty similar stats lat year, but I just have a lot more confidence in Fasth to come up big when it matters. If he was healthy and started against the Wings, I firmly believe we would have won that series. Hiller just seems to let in the softest goals at the worst time and it deflates the team. Wasn't Fasth also in net for all 3 wins against Chicago last year?

Hopefully Jonas will kick his game up a notch or two with it being a contract year for him, but if the two goalies are once again pretty similar statistically heading into the [hopefully] post-season then I want Fasth to get a shot.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  #36
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 6,706
vCash: 633
You guys talking about soft goals do you remember fasth 5 hole?

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  #37
ducks8
Registered User
 
ducks8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Riverside CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
You guys talking about soft goals do you remember fasth 5 hole?
Remember Hiller's shortside?


Last edited by ducks8: 08-17-2013 at 01:36 PM.
ducks8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:33 PM
  #38
WrecKed
Registered User
 
WrecKed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Not reading you're whole paragraph but we are messing **** up this season. Selanne retire now and Jimmy Howard we going to war this is my Cup!!! Gibby get some padds on we are getting this man. Etem top 6 lets go I've been watching you're YouTube over and over and we Are going to battle lets gooooooo!!! **** yah man lets go ducks!!!!
Hahaha best response ever, I wanna party with Ducksgo!

WrecKed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  #39
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 6,706
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks8 View Post
Remember Hiller's shortside?
Yes but fasth 5 hole is worse.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  #40
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Fasth is a NHL goalie. All it takes is 2-3 games to get into a groove and playing well. Look at Ray Emery, he was 17-1 last season. I think it is smart to play Hiller 28-31 games of the first half of the season. Fasth did not show any signs of not being an NHL goalie last year before his injury.
That isn't counter productive. It is making sure you get value for an asset. Something that we need to do. I don't care if we get a 2nd round pick for Hiller. We can't let him walk for nothing and we aren't resigning him. We have a chance to have a solid young and cheap goalie tandem. That is huge in a very low cap space league. Hiller will have value cause he is in a contract year and a Eastern team will take him as a backup for a 2nd rounder and a mid tier prospect. Or we use him and try and get a top Dman as part of some type of package. We bring up Andersen and we are good to go. Andersen plays 5-10 games down the stretch.

I really don't see the "counter productive" in that...
Your example is Emery? The guy who had the best team in the NHL in front of him? Not to mention one of the best blue lines.

Goalies need to play and feel the puck. The situation you are trying to propose is just unrealistic, top to bottom. It would be a good example of how to have a brutal second half.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  #41
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 797
Hiller 1a, 2/3 of games 54 ish games
Fasth 1b, 27ish games

Emergency Starter: Anderson
Emergency Backup: Bobkov

Emergency Super flu knocks out all of above: Gibson.

Might see Gibson in a preseason game, but unless the above 4 go racing and all crash or something I doubt he will have any regular season time.

If someone was able to go through the season and see all the goals, I would say Fasth was pretty equal to Hiller on weak goals, or goals people think they should have had.

At this time the difference between the two is NHL experience, which Hiller has.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:12 PM
  #42
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Your example is Emery? The guy who had the best team in the NHL in front of him? Not to mention one of the best blue lines.

Goalies need to play and feel the puck. The situation you are trying to propose is just unrealistic, top to bottom. It would be a good example of how to have a brutal second half.
You mean the same Chicago that we handed it to every game we played them this season?
You act like Fasth is a terrible backup with no playing time. The guy played in a league that is above the AHL and his first year in the NHL won 15 of 22 starts and if he didn't get hurt would have more then likely played in the playoffs and who knows what could have happened.
Goalies do need to play and him playing in 15-18 games in the first half is good enough to "feel the puck". I think both goalies should be getting close to 50-50 time with Hiller playing in 5 more games during the first half.
I am sorry but that is not unreasonable at all.
I want to get value for Hiller and he needs to be traded at the deadline. If we can get a 2nd rounder as part of a package for him that means we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. Which we can either trade as part of a deal for a top pairing dman or move up in the draft and get a Seth Jones type of player.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
  #43
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Which we can either trade as part of a deal for a top pairing dman or move up in the draft and get a Seth Jones type of player.
Because those types of trades are that easy to make...

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  #44
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Because those types of trades are that easy to make...
No they aren't but I would prefer to at least have the needed assets to make a trade like that then not even have a chance.
If Ottawa ends up having a poor season we could be in really good condition to trade up. Say Ottawa gets the 10th pick overall and we have somewhere in the 20s. We could package the two picks and get up into the to 3-5 range and get another fowler etc.
Then use the 2 2nd rounders (if we got one for Hiller) and trade up into the first round and pick up another Etem or Perry.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 06:32 PM
  #45
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
You mean the same Chicago that we handed it to every game we played them this season?
You act like Fasth is a terrible backup with no playing time. The guy played in a league that is above the AHL and his first year in the NHL won 15 of 22 starts and if he didn't get hurt would have more then likely played in the playoffs and who knows what could have happened.
Goalies do need to play and him playing in 15-18 games in the first half is good enough to "feel the puck". I think both goalies should be getting close to 50-50 time with Hiller playing in 5 more games during the first half.
I am sorry but that is not unreasonable at all.
I want to get value for Hiller and he needs to be traded at the deadline. If we can get a 2nd rounder as part of a package for him that means we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. Which we can either trade as part of a deal for a top pairing dman or move up in the draft and get a Seth Jones type of player.
No, I mean the same Chicago that was the best team in the NHL during the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. Or, are we just going to ignore that, and play the fantasy game where we, apparently, "handed it" to Chicago, which isn't what I remember at all. The games I saw could have gone either way, and were very close. Don't revise history, and pretend those games are suddenly significant.

And no, I'm not acting like Fasth is some terrible back-up with no experience. I'm acting like he's a goaltender with about 25 games under his belt, who managed to get injured with that workload, and who we have never seen in a full season. If the Ducks -are- going to trade Hiller, they need to be damn sure what they have with Fasth. What you're proposing doesn't do that. If anything, it shelters Fasth more and makes it more likely we trade the wrong goalie.

Your proposal is ridiculous. Ottawa should be fighting for a playoff spot. Anaheim should be fighting for a playoff spot. What makes you think we would get a top 2-3 pick with that? When was the last time you saw a move like that happen? What you're proposing is fantasy.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  #46
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
No they aren't but I would prefer to at least have the needed assets to make a trade like that then not even have a chance.
If Ottawa ends up having a poor season we could be in really good condition to trade up. Say Ottawa gets the 10th pick overall and we have somewhere in the 20s. We could package the two picks and get up into the to 3-5 range and get another fowler etc.
Then use the 2 2nd rounders (if we got one for Hiller) and trade up into the first round and pick up another Etem or Perry.
#10 + #22-26 probably gets you to #6-7. It won't get you a franchise player pick in the top 3-5 range.

Would you trade those picks for a franchise player?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
  #47
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
No they aren't but I would prefer to at least have the needed assets to make a trade like that then not even have a chance.
If Ottawa ends up having a poor season we could be in really good condition to trade up. Say Ottawa gets the 10th pick overall and we have somewhere in the 20s. We could package the two picks and get up into the to 3-5 range and get another fowler etc.
Then use the 2 2nd rounders (if we got one for Hiller) and trade up into the first round and pick up another Etem or Perry.
While we're at it we may as well trade Palmieri, Holland and Sbisa for Toews and then Etem and Lindholm for Weber. That's how it's done on NHL 13 at least.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 08:45 PM
  #48
8inblack
Registered User
 
8inblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hesperia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
Yes but fasth 5 hole is worse.
Is it a couple million worse? Even if you still think Hiller is the better goal tender (I don't) I highly doubt the price makes him a better per dollar player than Fasth. I think a team with poor goaltending will be willing to pay a good prospect or pick at the deadline for cup run. I highly doubt they will keep him for the enitre year.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:10 PM
  #49
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
If Hiller gets traded at all it will be early in the season when another goaltender gets hurt and BM gets a good price for him. If Hiller plays well all the way to the deadline he will not be traded unless the Ducks are out of contention. Nobody trades their #1 goaltender at the deadline if they are still in it. Not happening. No sir.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 12:24 AM
  #50
OCSportsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Hiller is the better goalie, but they both could be starters in the NHL.

If you watched enough games live, you can see why people rank (I believe it was yahoo) Hiller in the top half of the goalies in the league. He may not be the same goalie as a few years ago, but he is a legit #1 goalie, and in my opinion a better overall goalie,

At the games, you can see that Fasth plays an outstanding positional game, and is GREAT on the first shot. Where he is much worse than Hiller, is the rebounds and the side to side on a missed shots or passes. His defense played great and prevented some goals in certain games where he left the other side open.

I would be happy with either one, and we may trade Hiller, but we have a better chance to win the cup with Hiller.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.