HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The contending teams of the near future are....?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2005, 11:05 AM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
The Flyers are not well positioned. They will be at $23.4MM even if they buy out LeClair and Amonte and that's before signing/qualifying Esch, Johnsson, Gagne, Seidenberg, Sharp and any rookies. Not sure how they can pull off Neidemeyer. One assumption lots of people are making is that teams will all spend at the ceiling. That may be true for the Flyers, Red Wings, Avs and Rangers but there will be more teams at the floor than at the maximum.
21.7 mil after buyout of LeClair, Amonte and Brashear. 7 mil to resign Johnsson, Esche and Gagne (something like 2.6, 2.3, 2.1). 2 mil to sign Seidenberg, Sharp and Radivojevic (all bubble players, should be easy). 2.4 mil to sign Carter and Richards to rookie maximums (could be as low as 1.7 dependin on the CBA). total 33.1 mil. If the cap is 39.5 mil including non salary benefitts that leaves us with 4 mil to improve an already solid team, most likely for a defenseman (making Timmander our 7th). How are the Flyers not a contender? how are we in deep doo doo? Because we have to rely on two rookies (one of whom was the playoff scoring leader in the AHL?)?

Gagne Carter Roenick
Knuble Primeau Kapanen
Sharp Handzus Stevenson
Fedoruk Richards Radivojevic
Umberger, Somik

Markov Johnsson
Pitkanen Desjardins
Seidenberg UFA
Timmander

Esche
Nittymakki

Old
06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I personally love these HF threads whereby the "haves" of the world are assuredly going down the drain ("...in big trouble!" ), while the "have nots" are just as assuredly headed toward success.

Contending teams of the near future? Well, the near future means the next three to five seasons, no?

For that time period, I'll put my money on the Avs, Devils, Flyers, Sens, Lightning and Wings (read: current, proven winners). You can take Florida, Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, etc. (Read: teams with younnnnng talent, cap room and, up to this point, no indication whatsoever that they possess the management acumen required to build a serious contender.)

Wanna guess which group will render more Cups, 2005-2010? Surely, there will be a changing of the guard, it's only natural. But it won't be nearly as swift and dramatic as suggested by some.

Under the next CBA, the best teams of the last decade will likely be losing a degree of payroll maneuverability. Far as I can tell, however, the next CBA will not stipulate that the best teams will be forced to lose their single strongest advantage over all others - the best management.

Translation: post CBA, Lou Lamariello will still be Lou Lamariello....and David Poile will still be David Poile. And so on.

Old
06-29-2005, 12:46 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Rangers have a solid farm system? You better recant that statement fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I just did a quick scan of the team salaries from last season with the free agent list and came up with this:

Most teams have question marks. Depends on when players are going to be eligible for UFA status (the age could be lowered) as well as the actual structure of the cap. That would change a lot of things.

Calgary: Iginla and Kipper have to be resigned, but dropping Turek from the payroll will help a lot. They're gonna be tough, and they might be able to pick up another scorer, which would be huge for them. The year off will do them good after working their butts off through all those playoff rounds.

Ottawa will lose Hasek and Bondra most likely and have to resign Hossa and Havlat, but they are still loaded and should be able to bring it all in under $38 mil. Scary. They still need a goalie, unless Hasek comes back ... again. Same old story.

Minnesota Wild are cheap and have a couple budding stars, a great defensive system and Roloson in nets. They also might have some money to sign a Modano or something. Imagine Modano and Gaborik together....yikes.

Montreal has had a very strong farm system and several players should be ready this year. They'll have three scoring lines essentially with Bonk anchoring a checking line with two skill guys. They also have Theodore coming into his prime. If they resign Kovalev and sign a solid UFA defenseman, they'll be in position for a Cup run in a weak Eastern Division.

Jersey has to chop $10 mil from last year's budget and also resign Stevens, Neidermayer, Rafalski, Elias, Friesen, Gomez, Langenbrunner, etc. Good luck.

Rangers have Jagr, Tjutin, Nylander and kids and will probably buy out Holik. They'll have money for free agents, but what else is new.

Boston has some money for free agents, but essentially have to build an entire team from scratch around Thornton, Samsonov and Raycroft (which could be a good thing).

The Sharkies will be tough. They have to resign all their young stars, but they are Group II and Jamison is cheap, so they'll be ok.

Tampa is in trouble. They have St-Louis, Lecavalier and Khabibulin as free agents....and they were already on the bubble at $34 mil.

Vancouver will have to cut down a bit, but they'll be roughly the same. Still with goalie problems tho.

Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville, Edmonton and the Rangers all have solid farm systems.

The Rangers and Caps also have extra dough, if there is a luxury tax.

That looks like the near future. And there undoubtedly will be holdouts.

Detroit will be decent too, but they are going to have to cut down on their role players in a big way and go with Legace in nets. They'll probably contend tho.

The rest of the big money teams are in deep doo-doo.

And then there's Crosby, the X-Factor.
Many of our resident experts on Rangerdom will disagree vehemently with you on that. don't you know all we have are boarderline 3rd & 4th liners!

Old
06-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
don't you know all we have are boarderline 3rd & 4th liners!
Yay...he's finally admitting it!!!! Welcome to the world of sane and realistic critical thought. We missed you!

Old
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
21.7 mil after buyout of LeClair, Amonte and Brashear. 7 mil to resign Johnsson, Esche and Gagne (something like 2.6, 2.3, 2.1). 2 mil to sign Seidenberg, Sharp and Radivojevic (all bubble players, should be easy). 2.4 mil to sign Carter and Richards to rookie maximums (could be as low as 1.7 dependin on the CBA). total 33.1 mil. If the cap is 39.5 mil including non salary benefitts that leaves us with 4 mil to improve an already solid team, most likely for a defenseman (making Timmander our 7th). How are the Flyers not a contender? how are we in deep doo doo? Because we have to rely on two rookies (one of whom was the playoff scoring leader in the AHL?)?

Gagne Carter Roenick
Knuble Primeau Kapanen
Sharp Handzus Stevenson
Fedoruk Richards Radivojevic
Umberger, Somik

Markov Johnsson
Pitkanen Desjardins
Seidenberg UFA
Timmander

Esche
Nittymakki
Desjardins looked like he was done last I saw of him. Not sure you're gonna get a lot of goals out of this lineup either. Johnsson and Markov are gonna turn the puck over....so is Pitkannen.

But, you're right, should be a relatively solid playoff team.

Old
06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I like Nashvilles core with Nash, Zherdev, a top pick in the next draft, Klesla and Denis in net.

I also like Atlanta a whole lot, they will be a serious force...Heatley, Kovalchuk, Kloucek, Savard, Stefan, and Lehtonen in net (Pasi Nurminen is no slouch himself)
Thats a bad job by me, but you guys know what team i meant.

Old
06-30-2005, 01:06 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Atlanta will be a GREAT GREAT team in the future, they are one of my top favorite teams, the stars they have in there lineup is amazing (Heatley, Koval., and soon to be Lehtonen) they will have INCREDIBLE offense with those to guys and incredible goaltentending...I could honestly see them going for a very very good cup run in the next 2-3 years.

Old
06-30-2005, 07:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Atlanta will be a GREAT GREAT team in the future, they are one of my top favorite teams, the stars they have in there lineup is amazing (Heatley, Koval., and soon to be Lehtonen) they will have INCREDIBLE offense with those to guys and incredible goaltentending...I could honestly see them going for a very very good cup run in the next 2-3 years.
They aren't close to making a cup run yet. Get some quality centerman and defenseman before thinking about advancing in the playoffs.

A team with a winger as their best player hasn't won the Cup in over 25 years.

Old
06-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Levitate

yeah, atlanta needs someone to tie it all together, plus a little more depth

and a better blueline...if coburn and valabik work out for them that'd help them a lot, but at the very least, opinions are split on the value of those two

Old
06-30-2005, 11:48 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
The Flyers are not well positioned. They will be at $23.4MM even if they buy out LeClair and Amonte and that's before signing/qualifying Esch, Johnsson, Gagne, Seidenberg, Sharp and any rookies. Not sure how they can pull off Neidemeyer. One assumption lots of people are making is that teams will all spend at the ceiling. That may be true for the Flyers, Red Wings, Avs and Rangers but there will be more teams at the floor than at the maximum.
Yes they are, they will exceed the cap and pay the dollars for the luxury tax. Their payroll was 60+mm last year, assume the cap is 35mm with a dollar for dollar tax(which it will not be completely) they spend 45mm, hit with a 10mm tax and their payroll is 55mm, less than last year and we know they are willing to spend. Just like in the NFL and NBA you will need crafty financial analysts to circumvent the cap and be creative within the rules of the cap, with comcast owning the Flyers that won't be a problem, besides their is young and old talent ont he team and the depth at forward is awesome, D will be a problem but f/a will solve that issue

Old
06-30-2005, 02:51 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
They have Lehtonen, Kovalchuk, and Heatley. Who elese to they have? Kozlov? Savard? Coburn? the rest of the team are minor leaguers. With a couple veteran signings they could have two very good lines, but without much help on the blue line, Lehtonen will have to stand on his head alla Luongo for them to even make the playoffs.

Old
06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Tampa's gonna have a lot of trouble getting under the cap. They probably won't be able to sign Khabibulin. St-Louis and Lecavalier are due for big pay hikes. And Khabi ain't cheap. They probably have to go with Grahame in nets.
Not to mention the chances of them having perfect health again are slim...

Old
06-30-2005, 05:17 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittel16
Not to mention the chances of them having perfect health again are slim...
You can say that about almost any team that's won the cup.

Old
06-30-2005, 08:13 PM
otto1219

how about team that were contenders two years ago that you wont think will be this year? i have to say new jersey for starters. and thats not because i hate them with all my heart..... but still i just saw such a decline once stevens got hurt, if they lose neidemeyer or elias isnt completely healthy they seem to be screwed.

Old
06-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
how about team that were contenders two years ago that you wont think will be this year? i have to say new jersey for starters. and thats not because i hate them with all my heart..... but still i just saw such a decline once stevens got hurt, if they lose neidemeyer or elias isnt completely healthy they seem to be screwed.
Toronto and NJ...

Detriot is on the fringe, but they've done a good job with bringing in young guys. as long as they find a goalie they'll always be ok.

Old
06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Toronto and NJ...

Detriot is on the fringe, but they've done a good job with bringing in young guys. as long as they find a goalie they'll always be ok.
Jersey, LA, Dallas ....bye

I think there will be somewhat of a drop-off for the megarich teams, but not as major as we all hope..... It sure would be a lot of fun to spank Toronto or Philly or Detroit......but I don't think it will happen.

Jersey looks done to me tho, unless they can sign all their D. Now we'll see how good Brodeur REALLY is.

With a couple buyouts, Toronto will be okay. They play a grit game anyway, so they don't really need all those skill guys grinding in the corners.

Old
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Jersey looks done to me tho, unless they can sign all their D. Now we'll see how good Brodeur REALLY is.
Yep, Brodeur's hall of fame career to date has been based simply on luck, smoke and mirrors and playing on a good team. Now, he'll be exposed for the fraud he really is!

And NJ..."bye"...While meanwhile Atlanta, what with that monster Marc Savard manning the middle and a D corp consisting of children and NHL retreads, will be winning a Cup in 2-3 years. Simple as that!

Yep, a few NHL newbies without a shred of playoff experience between them are a surer bet than a core of in-their-prime PROVEN NHLers who have won multiple Cups apiece! (Not to mention that NJD was "bye" when they lost Mogilny...and Arnott...and Lemieux...and Sykora...and Holik....)

Only on HF.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-30-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old
06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Charge_Seven

contending teams...

anyone...

Realistically speaking, I expect not too much of a change. None of the small market teams instantly grew money, it'll still be a season before they see profits from the next season (at the very least).

I think it'll be the same old boys, with the fringe teams swapping with the younger teams.

Old
06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
contending teams...

anyone...

Realistically speaking, I expect not too much of a change. None of the small market teams instantly grew money, it'll still be a season before they see profits from the next season (at the very least).

I think it'll be the same old boys, with the fringe teams swapping with the younger teams.
I agree....Ottawa (if they get a goalie), Calgary, Tampa (if they can sign Khabi or get a goalie), Van (if they get a goalie), maybe Detroit...

This could finally be the year Ottawa breaks thru (if Toronto declines)...

Old
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
MojoJojo

I say this every year, but this is the year the Rangers finally get their act together and play like they should. They have a chance anyway. With a ton of room after the buyout of Holik, they have a good supporting cast of young players and a large free agent market to draw from. Of course, Sather will probably screw it up, but your team does have the potential to contend if he makes some good free agent signings and hires a decent coaching staff.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Fletch

Tons of room..

after the Holik buyout to add more disparate parts that will not form a cohesive unit, and quite possibly, given Sather's record, top-load the team so there's no support in the middle. I'd sooner keep Holik and play him in the role he's supposed to play in. There's not an urgent need to get to the high-end of the cap number this season, as it will be a transition year, and hopefully by midseason we'll begin to see some progress, and perhaps be able to start contending in the near future.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Only on HF.
You got that right. It amazes me when I read some of this stuff. Just like the people that are clamoring to buy-out Holik, and "build" around Jagr. In the East, where size is everything, let's get rid of the one guy that can completely make the other teams top player be invisible.

Old
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You got that right. It amazes me when I read some of this stuff. Just like the people that are clamoring to buy-out Holik, and "build" around Jagr. In the East, where size is everything, let's get rid of the one guy that can completely make the other teams top player be invisible.
That's not entirely fair now... people want to buy out Holik because his contract is 9 million towards a cap where Jager's is only about 4-5 million.

Old
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Fletch

I think Holik is actually..

$6.8 million...if the Rangers go near the cap, either they've overpaid for people or put on too many UFAs (which could be a sign that the yoots recently acquired and/or drafted haven't worked out, and this team is going nowhere fast).

Closed Thread