HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hard times and hockey on the Nashville Highway

Old
03-01-2013, 09:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Hard times and hockey on the Nashville Highway

Great article about Tennessee hockey on ESPN.com (Grantland). I know some of you post about high school pucks (I think?) and the article speaks of a game at Centennial Sportsplex. I bet you all recognize a number of the locations and even bars and landmarks mentioned. It's somewhat long, but worth your time, especially for you local folks.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...conomic-change

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I just came here to post this! Everyone read this article. It is fantastic; I was a transplant from the Northeast (Flyers fan) to Tennessee in 2003 and the evolution of hockey in the Nashville area during the past 10 years has been unbelievable.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ditto Cashville, I used to live in Columbia and I was like, "HEY! I know that guy!"

Bittersweet for me.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Great article but I want to point out, there has been ice hockey leagues here all my life, I'm 40.

Ice Centennial was torn down in 1988, as the new Sportsplex was openning. I played at both and prior to Ice Centennial, Nashville had a league that played at Municipal Auditorium that started in the 60's. I think we even have a poster here that played in those early leagues.

Now Saturn really helped hockey take off, but hockey has had a presence in this area since the Dixie Flyers minor league team.

Fantastic article though.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Great article but I want to point out, there has been ice hockey leagues here all my life, I'm 40.

Ice Centennial was torn down in 1988, as the new Sportsplex was openning. I played at both and prior to Ice Centennial, Nashville had a league that played at Municipal Auditorium that started in the 60's. I think we even have a poster here that played in those early leagues.

Now Saturn really helped hockey take off, but hockey has had a presence in this area since the Dixie Flyers minor league team.

I played as a kid at CS, inline at Recreation World in cool springs, and by the time i was a junior in high school, the Predators were in town and Centennial\Franklin had a very rough co-op team.

With all of that said, it's come a very long way..but still has a way to go. The long-rumored new sheets in Hendersonville and Murfreesboro coming to fruition would go a long way. I look at what's happening in Texas, California, even Florida...kids are getting drafted into Canadian major junior, D-1 NCAA programs, even the NHL. That's not really happening here yet, but it could...if capital improvements continue.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:52 AM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I played as a kid at CS, inline at Recreation World in cool springs, and by the time i was a junior in high school, the Predators were in town and Centennial\Franklin had a very rough co-op team.

With all of that said, it's come a very long way..but still has a way to go. The long-rumored new sheets in Hendersonville and Murfreesboro coming to fruition would go a long way. I look at what's happening in Texas, California, even Florida...kids are getting drafted into Canadian major junior, D-1 NCAA programs, even the NHL. That's not really happening here yet, but it could...if capital improvements continue.
Nice, you're a roller dome kid....

I wonder if you ever played for me, my brother or Brady?

Regardless, I bet I've reffed a few of your games....

Also for the record I've played pond hockey at Nashboro Village, Burton Hills, Centennial Park pond and even skated on Priest lake back in the late 80's when we had a huge freeze

Old
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

"He looks about 30, has long red hair, a long beard pulled into a point, and round wire-rim glasses — think Trey Anastasio covered in grease"

hahaha

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

I didnt read the whole thing but read most of it, it makes me want to go back and play HS hockey again. Its a shame that Franklin is now a co-op team we rivaled Centennial and Ravenwood a few years back.

But I moved here in 1993 along with the rest of my neighborhood who were from new jersey, I was from CT, moving to work for GM. My parents weren't woking for GM or anything but all my neighbors parents did. Hell my culdesac was full of 2 families with there cousins living across the street. We had epic street hockey battles as a kid.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post

hahah I completely forgot about that place, I had my kindergarten bday party there we all played roller hockey in these neon helmets. classic photo

Old
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Yep, I play in GNASH. I'm in the lower division, and those are upper, but I played in the All-Star game with a few guys mentioned in the article.

Not surprised the crowd was small student-wise. Mt. Juliet hasn't won a game since the division split, and Centennial was never going to lose to them. A game between two of Ravenwood, Brentwood, Centennial, and Hendersonville will be absolutely nuts.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
triggrman

Man one of the best high school hockey games crowds I've seen was JPII and Ryan, the crowd was nuts.

We play after the GNASH games a lot, and many of those games are packed.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Man one of the best high school hockey games crowds I've seen was JPII and Ryan, the crowd was nuts.

We play after the GNASH games a lot, and many of those games are packed.
Makes sense, good rivalry. Similar skill level, and they're both Catholic schools.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
[QUOTE=OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc;60732017]I played as a kid at CS, inline at Recreation World in cool springs, and by the time i was a junior in high school, the Predators were in town and Centennial\Franklin had a very rough co-op team.

With all of that said, it's come a very long way..but still has a way to go. The long-rumored new sheets in Hendersonville and Murfreesboro coming to fruition would go a long way. I look at what's happening in Texas, California, even Florida...kids are getting drafted into Canadian major junior, D-1 NCAA programs, even the NHL. That's not really happening here yet, but it could...if capital improvements continue.[/QUOTE]

There's a guy from Marietta Georgia who was playing with the Gladiators but has been called up to the AHL by the Texas Stars.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:03 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
There's a guy from Marietta Georgia who was playing with the Gladiators but has been called up to the AHL by the Texas Stars.
Isn't Gwinnett a Phoenix affiliate?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Isn't Gwinnett a Phoenix affiliate?
They are but Doug Jones isn't a Phoenix prospect. Mike Lee and Louis Domingue are both Phoenix prospects and both are in AHL Portland at the moment.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:14 PM
triggrman

We've had 1 home grown prospect.....

Old
03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
We've had 1 home grown prospect.....
and traded him away

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
and traded him away
because he needed to develop more but there was a wall of players ahead of him.

Still wish the guy the best in his recovery.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Quote:

I played in the Nashville Youth Hockey League in the early 70's at Municipal Auditorium because it was the only sheet of ice in Nashville. We were lucky to have 3 teams of 10 players on each team, most players were kids of Northern transplants in the music business or of the Dixie Flyers that stayed in town after the team left.

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Almost forgot that Shawn Walsh, who coached the University of Maine hockey team to four National Championships, played in the Nashville Youth Hockey League before going off the Bowling Green State University in the early 70's.

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
and traded him away
because if not for his name and where he grew up, he'd be a completely faceless prospect.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Nitrous Mafia

i never played but remember skating at rec world. RIP.

watched my brother play a lot of pee wee/rec/franklin HS hockey on Southern Ice.

best HS game I ever went to was Franklin vs Brentwood, Franklin came back from like 3 down and we went berzerk. moss pit in front of the glass after we scored. we filled those stands every game back in 03-05.

edit: and they mention centennial as being a dynasty, this is so true, they had an a/b team. Franklin would get their ***** handed to them by the B team.

edit2: love the phish shoutout!

if you want to checkout some awesome civil war history then check out Hood's campaign. There is a lot of cool stuff.

Last edited by Nitrous Mafia: 03-02-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:36 AM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
I played in the Nashville Youth Hockey League in the early 70's at Municipal Auditorium because it was the only sheet of ice in Nashville. We were lucky to have 3 teams of 10 players on each team, most players were kids of Northern transplants in the music business or of the Dixie Flyers that stayed in town after the team left.
I was pretty sure you did. I know a few more that did too. Ice Centennial opened in '78 right?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Drake744
Smashville Subban

vCash: 325
Tough to see how much Mt Juliet sucks now after ransacking everyone for a few years about 8 to 10 years ago.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Happy to be a part of the Centennial Hockey program this season and was surprised by the article when I read it yesterday. A great group of kids to work with, it's been a lot of fun getting back into coaching this season.

The crowd was very sparse for the game vs. Mt. Juliet that night at Centennial Sportsplex. Of course, for games at A-Game we generally have a good sized crowd of students since the school is literally a mile down the road. And for games against other Williamson County schools the stands are packed.

Expecting a LARGE crowd for Wednesday night's game as Hendersonville and Brentwood faceoff at 6:40 PM and right after that Centennial and Ravenwood square off at 8:10 PM with the winners of the two games going to the Predators Cup Final next Monday night.

I missed the pancake breakfast the morning after that game, but know we have a lot of fundraisers coming up in the next couple weeks as we prepare to go to USA Hockey Nationals to represent Tennessee from March 20th-24th down in Coral Springs, FL at the Florida Panthers practice facility.

As a transplant to the area myself, moved from Connecticut in July 2004, it was interesting to learn more about the history of the growth of the sport and especially it's correlation to the success of the auto industry in the area. I knew about it, but didn't really know many of the details before reading the article and this thread.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote