HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500

Sarge will always have a place in my heart for this call.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Wonder if they'll go with a big name to match their big deal. Maybe try to pull Kruk away from ESPN... or use Schilling. He definitely needs the money.
I had Schilling in the back of my head as well. Kruk I could also see.

If there is a God, they'll hire Pat Burrell and have him tell stories of his sexual conquests on South Street.

01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
If there is a God, they'll hire Pat Burrell and have him tell stories of his sexual conquests on South Street.
Or that time him & Jason Michaels beat up a cop down there.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Doug Glanville could realistically be considered. He does a lot of stuff these days.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Today is Hall of Fame day. Who gets in?

I think Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine are 100% locks (not locks to get 100%, but 100% locks to be voted in). Frank Thomas is like a 90% chance to get in. Other than those three I think the only other guys with legit shots this year are Biggio and Morris. Morris I think will get in because there has just been so much talk about him. Biggio I think waits until next year.

In conclusion:

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, and Morris are in.
Well you were three for four there. Maddux, Glavine, & Thomas all made the cut. Biggio just missed out with 74.8% of the vote, pretty ridiculous IMO.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

How about this idiot?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3925--mlb.html

Quote:
Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Players votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:14 PM
BringBackStevens

McCarthy is the worst. He's the one that needed to go.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Baseball writers are a weird breed. He's not the only one who thinks that neither. They really need to start cutting off these guys that are past their expiration date.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Doug Glanville could realistically be considered. He does a lot of stuff these days.
He works for ESPN

Old
01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
He works for ESPN
True but he would probably be an easier pull for CSN seeing as he's not really a face of their baseball coverage like Kruk is.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I don't agree with that, but I it is something I understand. That is better than voting for some guys who either used or suspected of using and not others. All or nothing is fine with me, but as was pointed out on MLB Radio on XM this morning, that is going to be a tough position to stick to over the next decade and a half when guys like Rivera, Jeter, Ichiro, Ryan Howard, etc. come up for induction.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I honesty think Ricky Bo will be the guy or they get Mitch Williams back to full time.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I honesty think Ricky Bo will be the guy or they get Mitch Williams back to full time.
I just tweeted about ricky bo getting it. I think that's it.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I just tweeted about ricky bo getting it. I think that's it.
I honestly forgot about the guy at first, he's alright & I wouldn't complain but would much prefer Mitch over him if it was possible.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I honestly forgot about the guy at first, he's alright & I wouldn't complain but would much prefer Mitch over him if it was possible.
Yeah, I mean he's already there. I wouldn't mind either. I'm still praying for Pat Burrell.

Old
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Ricky Bo, Chris Coste, or Brad Lidge.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I don't agree with that, but I it is something I understand. That is better than voting for some guys who either used or suspected of using and not others. All or nothing is fine with me, but as was pointed out on MLB Radio on XM this morning, that is going to be a tough position to stick to over the next decade and a half when guys like Rivera, Jeter, Ichiro, Ryan Howard, etc. come up for induction.
Next year is probably going to be a tough vote, only The Big Unit, Pedro, & possibly Smoltz strike me as locks as far as the first time eligible players go. I would imagine Biggio finally gets in after being hosed these past two years but who knows. There's some yahoo in the media who openly admitted he won't vote for him because he believes he was a juicer despite having no leg to stand on with that claim so I wouldn't be shocked if there's some others who feel the same way.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-08-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Ricky Bo, Chris Coste, or Brad Lidge.
You forgot Pat Burrell

Old
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
FLYguy3911

There's Ben Davis too

Old
01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Next year is probably going to be a tough vote, only The Big Unit, Pedro, & possibly Smoltz strike me as locks as far as the first time eligible players go. I would imagine Biggio finally gets in after being hosed these past two years but who knows. There's some yahoo in the media who openly admitted he won't vote for him because he believes he was a juicer despite having no leg to stand on with that claim so I wouldn't be shocked if there's some others who feel the same way.
Yeah, Biggio is a guy I would vote for. For me, you'd get my vote unless you were ACTUALLY caught using or admitted to using. Speculation is not enough in my book. So Piazza, Biggio, and probably Bags get my vote. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Sosa nope.

But next year I'm thinking you are right about Biggio, Pedro and Johnson. Smoltz I think does make it in at some point, but not on the first ballot. He doesn't have any of those "magic" numbers that the first ballot guys typically get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
There's Ben Davis too
I think that is who will be the guy (and I'd be totally cool with that). Ricky Bo is good but IDK if I'd want him doing 9 innings (or even 6) every night. Ben Davis or Doug Glanville would be my choice (or both if they are going to replace Sarge and Wheels).

Old
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Yeah, Biggio is a guy I would vote for. For me, you'd get my vote unless you were ACTUALLY caught using or admitted to using. Speculation is not enough in my book. So Piazza, Biggio, and probably Bags get my vote. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Sosa nope.

But next year I'm thinking you are right about Biggio, Pedro and Johnson. Smoltz I think does make it in at some point, but not on the first ballot. He doesn't have any of those "magic" numbers that the first ballot guys typically get.

I think that is who will be the guy (and I'd be totally cool with that). Ricky Bo is good but IDK if I'd want him doing 9 innings (or even 6) every night. Ben Davis or Doug Glanville would be my choice (or both if they are going to replace Sarge and Wheels).
I don't see how you can justify keeping Bonds or Clemens out of the HOF, even with steroids. Maybe it's just me, but there's no doubt in my mind that they still would've been (in Bonds case, he already seemed to have been) on a HOF track without roids.

Old
01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
I don't see how you can justify keeping Bonds or Clemens out of the HOF, even with steroids. Maybe it's just me, but there's no doubt in my mind that they still would've been (in Bonds case, he already seemed to have been) on a HOF track without roids.
I get it, but they still cheated. Even if they didn't have to to get in, they still cheated. This is clearly an area where reasonable minds can differ, but if I am casting a vote, I wouldn't vote for anyone that got caught using PEDs. Corking a bat, spit balls, scuffing a ball...things of that nature you can overlook IMO. For the most part, doing those things aren't going to change a 5 HR guy into a HOFer or 100 win guy into a 300 win guy. But to me, you start doping and it just takes away from the game and cheapens it. Hank Aaron's record was the greatest record in all of sports. The only thing that came close was Roger Maris' record (and Joe Dimaggio's, but that one is less flashy). Now you have Barry Bonds' ridiculous records (and to a lesser extent, McGwire's and Sosa's) that just don't hold water. If you hit 762 HRs that should be the greatest achievement in sports history IMO. But it isn't. It is nothing and now we don't even have Aaron's record to fall back on.

/rant

Old
01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
DING DONG THE WIG IS DEAD!!! woohoo!

I think Glanville is too smart to do color for an entire game. He might put us all to sleep by the 3rd inning. I think someone a little more upbeat and personable is needed.

Old
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I don't think he took them honestly, he was never really a hulking guy at any point of his career. I think that speculation mostly comes from playing on a team with Bagwell & Caminiti (the former being an alleged juicer & the latter being a proven juicer).

As for Smoltz, I could see him missing the cut that's why I put possibly there but he did split time as a closer & starter & excelled at both them. It kind of deflated his numbers for each of those positions by doing so. If it's not the first year then I believe it will be the second year for him to get in anyway.

Old
01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
I had Schilling in the back of my head as well. Kruk I could also see.

If that happened, every commercial break would be filled with family law attorneys, lol.

"Did Pat Burrell bone your wife? You may be entitled to a monetary award. Call us today."

Closed Thread