HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

NSA Controversy Part II

Old
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I've got no problem with NSA bugging anything outside the country. That's what spies do.
Sure is. Though in the case of spying on the UN, it's illegal.

Not that that's ever stopped anyone before.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Cannot wait untill the day when someone sets down the foot for good with USA. One of the biggest threats to global peace. Maybe some state should send people to USA, kidnapp the involved ones, take them back and put them to prison for life. Just like USA do.

It would only be fair.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
I've got no problem with NSA bugging anything outside the country. That's what spies do.
So on the flip side you would have no problem with China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, etc bugging the US since that is after all outside of their countries and that is what spies do.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
So on the flip side you would have no problem with China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, etc bugging the US since that is after all outside of their countries and that is what spies do.
It should be limited to only good spies in the service of western democracies.

The US is a special case as the beacon of the free world.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Supersic
!!! WELTMEISTER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Cannot wait untill the day when someone sets down the foot for good with USA. One of the biggest threats to global peace. Maybe some state should send people to USA, kidnapp the involved ones, take them back and put them to prison for life. Just like USA do.

It would only be fair.

Supersic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 09:40 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:

It would only be fair.
Keep waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It should be limited to only good spies in the service of western democracies.

The US is a special case as the beacon of the free world.
Finally coming around. Good

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
I'm not sure I get your point. I am not some impartial observer, I want us to win. At everything. I don't WANT the other countries to be spying on us, but such is the reality of the world. And the reason counterintelligence departments exist. As long as we are better at it than they are, I'm content with the way things are.

What would you suggest?

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
All is fair in the spy world. I mean, they are going to spy on us regardless. If we catch them, we can complain about it. That's about it.

I don't really care all that much since spying has been going on for a looooooong time.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

It would only be fair.
Trollolol.

Old
08-26-2013, 12:58 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure I get your point. I am not some impartial observer, I want us to win. At everything. I don't WANT the other countries to be spying on us, but such is the reality of the world. And the reason counterintelligence departments exist. As long as we are better at it than they are, I'm content with the way things are.

What would you suggest?
That you don't need to 'win'. You had you're victory when the USSR collapsed, and thankfully for the rest of us that competition didn't end in full scale nuclear warfare.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:19 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
All is fair in the spy world. I mean, they are going to spy on us regardless. If we catch them, we can complain about it. That's about it.

I don't really care all that much since spying has been going on for a looooooong time.
That is an incredible wierd logic and way too approach a subject.

Dont you care about **** too since it is been going on for a "looooooooong time"?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Wetcoaster

Interesting thought... although the NSA has all this personal information it is not held very securely according to this NBC News report.
When Edward Snowden stole the crown jewels of the National Security Agency, he didn’t need to use any sophisticated devices or software or go around any computer firewall.

All he needed, said multiple intelligence community sources, was a few thumb drives and the willingness to exploit a gaping hole in an antiquated security system to rummage at will through the NSA’s servers and take 20,000 documents without leaving a trace.

“It’s 2013 and the NSA is stuck in 2003 technology,” said an intelligence official.

Jason Healey, a former cyber-security official in the Bush Administration, said the Defense Department and the NSA have “frittered away years” trying to catch up to the security technology and practices used in private industry. “The DoD and especially NSA are known for awesome cyber security, but this seems somewhat misplaced,” said Healey, now a cyber expert at the Atlantic Council. “They are great at some sophisticated tasks but oddly bad at many of the simplest.”
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...en-did-it?lite

Old
08-26-2013, 03:58 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
#1 overlooked reason why you may not want any agency, be it public or private, collecting digital information on people. A supporter may justify it saying it's all for the 'greater good', but once obtained how do we know the can keep the information secure?

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
#1 overlooked reason why you may not want any agency, be it public or private, collecting digital information on people. A supporter may justify it saying it's all for the 'greater good', but once obtained how do we know the can keep the information secure?
It is one of the reason why in Canada we impose a legal duty upon private companies and public organizations to safeguard personal information they may collect.
https://www.priv.gc.ca/information/02_05_d_08_e.asp
http://www.oipc.bc.ca/for-the-public...my-rights.aspx

Old
08-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
That is an incredible wierd logic and way too approach a subject.

Dont you care about **** too since it is been going on for a "looooooooong time"?
What does that have to do with other countries spying on us?

Old
08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

It has to do with your country spying on you. Mine spying on me.

Anyhow Jonathan has a point, spying has been going for such a long time, in any system. Whatever.

This can be covered via total transparancy.

... did you see what I did there

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I don't mind some spying. Some is needed to maintain some semblance of safety. There is certainly a line that can be crossed, though.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
That you don't need to 'win'. You had you're victory when the USSR collapsed, and thankfully for the rest of us that competition didn't end in full scale nuclear warfare.
So everyone in the world gets along and no one has competing interests, is that your angle? I want what is best for my country. I'm not sure whether you really believe that spying isn't in a country's best interests, or you're just playing devil's advocate.

Pro tip - Canada does the same thing, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/09/16/b...s-guy-to-jail/

The "Information Dominance Center"

“The futuristic, yet distinctly military, setting is further reinforced by the Commander’s console, which gives the illusion that one has boarded a star ship,” a brochure from the facility’s designers noted. Take a look …
Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/09/16/b...r7BKwSd6IdP.99

----

What a ****ing waste of taxpayers money to design a place after Star Trek just to trample all over our 4th amendment rights.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Doppler Drift

I like this one better.

Quote:
SARA control Room

FIU is a member of the Southeastern Association for Research in Astronomy (SARA) consortium which consists of ten universities that together operate research telescopes at Kitt Peak National Observatory (KPNO) in Arizona, and at Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory (CTIO) in Chile. Both of these telescopes are operated remotely during some nights using control computers at FIU. The SARA Control room will house computers equipped to control both instruments as well as the local telescope in the dome atop the Stocker AstroScence Center, the FIU telescope. Dr. Webb’s investigation into the most efficient layout for control rooms led to a particularly efficient arrangement that opened up a unique stylistic opportunity. The most efficient arrangement for the circular SARA control room would be a layout that features stations for control of each telescope facing a main large screen monitor. On the wall opposite the entrance, the large screen monitor will be able to display any of the images from the three telescopes (KPNO,CTIO, FIU). Weather monitors for all three observatories will be prominently displayed on smaller screens mounted on either side of the main screen so observers can constantly monitor the weather conditions at all three locations at a glance. Students who will be controlling the telescopes will occupy a semicircular desk facing the large monitor, each operator having two screens: one for telescope control and the other for camera control. Behind the telescope controllers will be a station for the principle Investigator (PI). From here the astronomer in charge of the night will sit and monitor the activities of all of the telescopes. The PI computer would have the ability to see any of the telescope screens, as well as project any of the monitors up on the large screen. Around the sides will be two computer stations where students can analyze and print the data.
Starship Control Room

Now for the unique opportunity made possible by this arrangement! It was noticed that this room, because of the circular shape and the arrangement of users and computers described above, strongly resembled the bridge of the USS Enterprise on the popular TV series Star Trek! The very nature of the observations made here imply traveling to the edges of the visible universe. It is a small step to further the analogy and intentionally design the room to resemble more closely a Star Trek Starship bridge. There would be no props or flashing light for effect, just an efficiently functioning astronomical control room modeled after one of our favorite science fiction places, the bridge of a star ship! I doubt if a cooler place exists on the planet Earth!

Below are some photographs of the scale model built by designer Frank Blanco of the Avenue B Group of the proposed Stocker Astroscience control room. This is not a finished item, jsut a proposed model. But a great one!

The central 80" monitor can display any of the computer screens in the room, and its output can be displayed in the lab room on the first floor. The 4 40" monitors on either side of the main screen shows the environmental screens for Kitt Peak (SARA North)(left) and Cerro Tololo (Sara South) (right).

The computer screens on the console are the actual screens telescope operators will be using to control the SARA North (left) and SARA South (right) telescopes.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

http://www.ibtimes.com/edward-snowde...ional?ft=61pb1

The latest leak from Edward Snowden, published Sunday by the German weekly news magazine Der Spiegel, revealed yet another secret NSA surveillance program called “Follow the Money” designed to monitor international payments, banking and credit transactions. Snowden also alleged that the NSA monitored transaction of major credit card companies.
Snowden Reveals NSA Program To Monitor Financial Transactions

According to the documents leaked by Snowden, the National Security Agency collected financial data in a database called “Tracfin.” He says the NSA had about 180 million records stored in Tracfin in 2011. The documents allege that 84 percent of the data was credit card transactions.

Last edited by Metro Misfits: 09-16-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
09-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Yoshimitsu

I think at this point it's pretty safe to assume that they know everything about everyone.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
I think at this point it's pretty safe to assume that they know everything about everyone.
I'd still argue that there will be one thing neither the Establishment nor people in general will ever know about someone.

It's what we think to ourselves.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
I'd still argue that there will be one thing neither the Establishment nor people in general will ever know about someone.

It's what we think to ourselves.
But based on the metadata alone you can pick out certain things in people lives that is going on.

Also, the NSA would like to thank Apple and iPhone users for helping create the largest Name - Fingerprint database with the new finger print unlock feature.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:

It would only be fair.

Do have an optimistic view regarding a mass awakaning of the american population? World peace is not possible without the American population finally understanding what it is all about.