HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

NSA Controversy Part II

Old
09-16-2013, 04:44 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Misfits View Post
But based on the metadata alone you can pick out certain things in people lives that is going on.[/B]
... again they will never know what exactly you think! There is some freedom. They can interpret a pattern, but certainty comes at striking time, when you reveal something. Like writing a post. Or beating somebody up.

Quote:
Also, the NSA would like to thank Apple and iPhone users for helping create the largest Name - Fingerprint database with the new finger print unlock feature.
I read it the other day, I laughed to myself. So glad I never wanted a phone like that.

Last edited by NYRFANMANI: 09-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.
NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I like this one better.

That has nothing on the original NSA prototype computer installation.

YES I KNOW THIS IS A HOAX

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
I haven't been following the NSA scandal that closely, but aren't there various governments involved? I know the German government has come under fire for its involvement.
Many countries (including Canada) are involved in the whole data-mining scandal.

Last edited by Kadri43: 09-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I've got no problem with NSA bugging anything outside the country. That's what spies do.
So you have no problem with the facilities being outside of the U.S jurisdiction and therefore spy on Americans?

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us...ens.html?_r=2&

The policy shift was intended to help the agency “discover and track” connections between intelligence targets overseas and people in the United States, according to an N.S.A. memorandum from January 2011. The agency was authorized to conduct “large-scale graph analysis on very large sets of communications metadata without having to check foreignness” of every e-mail address, phone number or other identifier, the document said. Because of concerns about infringing on the privacy of American citizens, the computer analysis of such data had previously been permitted only for foreigners.

The agency can augment the communications data with material from public, commercial and other sources, including bank codes, insurance information, Facebook profiles, passenger manifests, voter registration rolls and GPS location information, as well as property records and unspecified tax data, according to the documents. They do not indicate any restrictions on the use of such “enrichment” data, and several former senior Obama administration officials said the agency drew on it for both Americans and foreigners.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Not to say that I'm not somewhat unnerved by this whole mess, but it kind of just reinforced what I already believed to be happening. I guess that's why I'm not outraged.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

The Obama administration’s credibility on intelligence suffered another blow Wednesday as the chief of the National Security Agency admitted that officials put out numbers that vastly overstated the counterterrorism successes of the government’s warrantless bulk collection of all Americans’ phone records.
Pressed by the Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee at an oversight hearing, Gen. Keith B. Alexander admitted that the number of terrorist plots foiled by the NSA’s huge database of every phone call made in or to America was only one or perhaps two — far smaller than the 54 originally claimed by the administration.

Read more: http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...#ixzz2gfGWnTpm
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Old
10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Director of National IntelligenceJames R. Clapper denied that the number of plots foiled should be the sole metric by which the success of the program is measured. “I think there’s another metric here that’s very important. … I would call it the ‘peace of mind’ metric.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2gfVQB4Vy
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

The Clapper has spoken. Lol

Old
11-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9A703020131108

Quote:
Former U.S. National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden used login credentials and passwords provided unwittingly by colleagues at a spy base in Hawaii to access some of the classified material he leaked to the media, sources said.

A handful of agency employees who gave their login details to Snowden were identified, questioned and removed from their assignments, said a source close to several U.S. government investigations into the damage caused by the leaks.

Snowden may have persuaded between 20 and 25 fellow workers at the NSA regional operations center in Hawaii to give him their logins and passwords by telling them they were needed for him to do his job as a computer systems administrator, a second source said.

Two reactions - one, this was really pathetic security by the NSA and stupidity by some of their employees. And this highlights a difference between Snowden and Daniel Ellsburg. Ellsburg had access to these documents through his employment with the government, and became disillusioned with the Vietnam War through what he had read and listening to the speech of a draft resister who was proud to go to prison over fighting in Vietnam. Snowden went into his job looking to mine information, and abused his position by taking advantage of other federal employees and grabbing as much classified data as possible.

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/surveilla...e-nothing-hide

The “nothing to hide” argument mistakenly suggests that privacy is something only criminals desire. In fact, we choose to do many things in private—sing in the shower, make love, confide in family and friends—even though they are not wrong or illegal. Who would not be embarrassed if all of their most intimate details were exposed? Fences and curtains are ways to ensure a measure of privacy, not indicators of criminal behavior. Privacy is a fundamental part of a dignified life.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/surveilla...e-nothing-hide

The “nothing to hide” argument mistakenly suggests that privacy is something only criminals desire. In fact, we choose to do many things in private—sing in the shower, make love, confide in family and friends—even though they are not wrong or illegal. Who would not be embarrassed if all of their most intimate details were exposed? Fences and curtains are ways to ensure a measure of privacy, not indicators of criminal behavior. Privacy is a fundamental part of a dignified life.
Why do you still feel free to post all your anti-government rants on a public message forum?

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Why do you still feel free to post all your anti-government rants on a public message forum?

Why do you bother commenting on them?

The most surprising thing about this article is it was on msnbc.

Old
11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Sevanston

Senators Mark Udall (D-CO), Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Martin Heinrich (D-NM) filed an amicus brief in the anti-surveillance case against the NSA saying their examples of mass surveillance helping to catch terrorists is bunk.

Quote:
In the opinion of Amici, the claim that the bulk phone-records collection program has “contributed to” twelve different counterterrorism investigations would not withstand public scrutiny, unless it were accompanied by new evidence that has not been provided to Amici.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...nce-is-useful/

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

NSA Has 50,000 ‘Digital Sleeper Agents’ Via Computer Malware, Says Latest Snowden Leak

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/23/nsa...ntent=FaceBook

Old
12-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

This could never have happened without Snowden because without knowing it exists you can't bring it to the court and no one is allowed to testify that it exists etc... etc... etc...

Interesting dilema with this young man.

Federal judge rules against NSA spying

Quote:
"The court concludes that plaintiffs have standing to challenge the constitutionality of the government's bulk collection and querying of phone record metadata, that they have demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of their Fourth Amendment claim (of unlawful search and seizure), and that they will suffer irreparable harm absent…relief,'' Leon wrote.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...dment/4041995/

Old
12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...2/nsa-snooping

Quote:
The government’s blanket collection of “telephony metadata”—information about whom you call and when—looks to be on wobblier ground than before. Its lawyers have long relied on a 34-year-old precedent to argue that the Fourth-Amendment protection against unreasonable searches does not apply to metadata. In Smith v Maryland the Supreme Court upheld the warrantless collection of a criminal suspect’s phone records. But Mr Leon is unimpressed. “I cannot possibly navigate these uncharted Fourth Amendment waters using as my North Star a case that predates the rise of cell phones,” he writes.
Now extend this line of reasoning to the second amendment!

DO IT!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This could never have happened without Snowden because without knowing it exists you can't bring it to the court and no one is allowed to testify that it exists etc... etc... etc...

Interesting dilema with this young man.

Federal judge rules against NSA spying

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...dment/4041995/
Good

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...mong-geniuses/

Interesting read on Snowden.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
I'm a bit perplexed...can someone please explain how the Smith v. Maryland decision justifies the constitutionality of the NSA's program?

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
MM425

Quote:
So according to the article, he actually wore this hoodie when he was working with the NSA in Hawaii

Amazing in hindsight. Talk about brass balls man.

I don't go as far as to call Snowden a hero, but I do think what he's done is inspiring.

This one guy has managed to completely bypass the boundaries and filters of the American political machine to really take the US government to task on a big issue. It's the kind of thing that gives you hope for the future or at least that's what I feel.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
So according to the article, he actually wore this hoodie when he was working with the NSA in Hawaii

Amazing in hindsight. Talk about brass balls man.

I don't go as far as to call Snowden a hero, but I do think what he's done is inspiring.

This one guy has managed to completely bypass the boundaries and filters of the American political machine to really take the US government to task on a big issue. It's the kind of thing that gives you hope for the future or at least that's what I feel.
From what I understand, he has over 1.7 million documents yet to be released. And set it up to dump if he is to be caught or killed.

I put him as a hero for the liberty movement. I don't with Manning as much, his case is different.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Master Shake*

We should round up most of the NSA and people who were a part of the destruction of the Bill of Rights, give them trials and then hang the guilty until dead. I could care less what party or position. Hang em.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."- Patrick Henry

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Well you also thought that Obama should be impeached and tried for treason, so your opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Master Shake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Well you also thought that Obama should be impeached and tried for treason, so your opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt.
Well yeah but you are an idiot anyways. Keep sucking Obamas dick. Hitler had his supporters too.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Master Shake*

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”- Joseph Goebbels - Nazi Propaganda Minister

Old
12-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

The always-impressive Double-Godwin!