HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone else excited for Colin Greening this season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  #26
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
45 points would be amazing


45 points = half point per game +
half point per game +, for a 7th round pick is a major major steal,
Not that different than 37 pts, which he put up as a rookie. He's a steal any way you slice it.

I think he's going to get time off an on with Spezza and Plan B - if he gets it going I could see him hitting 50.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  #27
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 14,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
I really like the kid. He has many of the tools needed to be an NHL power forward, but seems to be missing the aggressiveness and confidence needed to make that a reality. Just too much of a nice guy it seems. His hands aren't great, but they aren't terrible either and he's definitely got an NHL shot. Besides, let's not forget that he's only played 150 or so NHL games and has averaged 0.45 ppg over that period, so further upside is definitely possible.

One thing that intrigues me about him is that he has played his best hockey when doing the grunt work on scoring lines. He's a monster on the cycle, he drives the net, and he backchecks hard and that makes him a pretty useful complimentary player. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little time with Spezza and Ryan or Turris and Michalek or even Zibanejad and Pageau. I just don't want to see him banished to a grinding line. I think the guy needs a playmaker to be at his most effective. Then again, with our luck, he'll finally break out this year and end up signing a big money deal somewhere else.
Good post, I also think he does a lot of things well but he just doesn't have the offensive skill of a Bobby Ryan or Michalek. We should not be expecting more than 40 pts & be happy with that kind of output from him. Personally, I would like to see him be a lot more physical & drop the gloves a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtron View Post
I think we've already seen what we're going to get from him. He's an excellent complimentary player.

He's got great speed and size. He shoots the puck well, isn't afraid to go to the net, has the ability to bang in pucks from in close, and takes care of his own end well. These attributes will keep in the league for a long time.

Unfortunately, for those waiting for him to break out, (disclaimer: IMO) I don't think that's going to happen. His weaknesses appear to be a lack of creativity and hockey sense - which goes to show that intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to hockey sense. It's often those two attributes that allow players to really stand out.

As mentioned, I still think he's an excellent complimentary player on this team (his size and speed are very important to our forward group), but to think he's going to break out and become much more than he already is, is probably a fantasy.
Agreed & as I said earlier it would be nice to see him play a little more physical game consistently. I think he will get between 30 & 40 pts, maybe a little more if he plays in the top 6, but it's the grunt work that he does that contribute to the team's success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He's a 40 point player - 13/18 Goals 20-25 assists. He can play top line minutes and match up with the other teams bigger forwards and play on the checking line and just be there to shut guys down physically and in neutral ice.

I love Greening, he can easily be a top 6 on this team. He gets better every year, I expect him to be amazing this season with 82 games.
Also agree & I believe he is entering his prime which could get him a new extension, if he can manage to be consistently more physical. While saying that about Greening it would be nice to see Smith become a little more consistent in his scoring. Would like to see him get between 30 & 40 pts as well especially notching a few short handed. In conclusion, Greening tougher & Smith more offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
Greening - Spezza - Ryan

That's what I want to see.
Me too, I also think he needs to play in the top 6 to be offensively more effective but he is just as good at shutting other team's better players down. If Stone & Robinson ever make this team than one of them could push Greening down to the 3rd line. While I'm thinking of it, a 3rd line of Greening - Zibanejad - Stone would be interesting, in a big way.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  #28
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,352
vCash: 500
I'll tell you one thing, after Pageau, there wasn't a guy who excited it more in the playoffs than Greening.

His second round performance against Pitts was amazing. He pulled out moves I haven't seen since his rookie year, he scored huge goals, he was laying the body like it was nothing, he was just everywhere.

However, I am trying to temper my expectations because in the first round he was invisible until that amazing hit on Subban which just solidified the series for us.

With his intangibles, if he gets 40+ points that would be a terrific season from him.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 03:25 PM
  #29
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,763
vCash: 500
He's playing for a contract... Bickell type money if he has a good year

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
  #30
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
I don't know where he fits in the current lineup. At this point I don't think he would be on one of the scoring lines, and maybe not on the 3rd line either, so that's going to limit what he can do.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
  #31
Sensinitis
Registered User
 
Sensinitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
I don't know where he fits in the current lineup. At this point I don't think he would be on one of the scoring lines, and maybe not on the 3rd line either, so that's going to limit what he can do.
Well, our LW depth is Ryan/Michalek-MacArthur-Greening-Conacher so there's your answer.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  #32
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,251
vCash: 500
Hope he's healthy. The coming 82 games will be indicative of how good a player he is. If he plays well, it'll be really hard to sign him since we have so many young player coming up.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
  #33
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
I don't know where he fits in the current lineup. At this point I don't think he would be on one of the scoring lines, and maybe not on the 3rd line either, so that's going to limit what he can do.
I think there is a good chance he starts the year with Spezza and Ryan

Gives us a second line if Mcarthur-Turris-Michalek

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 05:41 PM
  #34
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I think there is a good chance he starts the year with Spezza and Ryan

Gives us a second line if Mcarthur-Turris-Michalek
i don't know after how hot Conacher started last year I's try him off there first.

Conacher Spezza Ryan
MacArthur Turris 9MM

greening in the bottom 6 where he belongs no offense to him.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  #35
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,384
vCash: 500
I'm excited for him to be passed on the depth chart.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 05:57 PM
  #36
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I'm excited for him to be passed on the depth chart.
Greening is a work out machine and is playing for a big contract.

I don't see it happening getting passed on the depth chart... 40-45Pts with his intangibles gets him 4Yrs 16 million as a UFA

If he believed he'd be passes he would have signed the multi year extension around 2-3 he's been offered

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:04 PM
  #37
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Greening is a work out machine and is playing for a big contract.

I don't see it happening getting passed on the depth chart... 40-45Pts with his intangibles gets him 4Yrs 16 million as a UFA

If he believed he'd be passes he would have signed the multi year extension around 2-3 he's been offered
What intangibles are you speaking of?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:17 PM
  #38
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
What intangibles are you speaking of?
Leadership, defensive play, grit, PK, body-checks(Albeit not powerful or very useful) etc...

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:21 PM
  #39
senility
Registered User
 
senility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
i don't know after how hot Conacher started last year I's try him off there first.

Conacher Spezza Ryan
MacArthur Turris 9MM

greening in the bottom 6 where he belongs no offense to him.
Nothing at all against Conacher, but I prefer the idea of having someone with a little more defensive awareness on that line, at least when playing with a lead. Conacher does a lot of things well, but he has also shown a propensity for turning the puck over in bad situations (even in Tampa) and I can see that line getting trapped in their own zone more than we might like. At least with guys like Greening, Michalek, Zibanejad, or MacArthur you get more of a two way game and a little more size without losing anything in the speed department. Conacher will no doubt improve defensively with time and good coaching, but from what I've seen, he's not quite there yet.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:23 PM
  #40
Sensinitis
Registered User
 
Sensinitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Greening is good but one of those replaceable bottom sixers if he doesn't develop his offensive game to consistent 40 point seasons. One of those guys that you replace internally once they're old and good enough to receive a wealthy contract elsewhere. Very similar to the Ladds, Byfugliens, Froliks, etc. that Chicago gave up to keep their core.

If Greening wants over 3M you can be sure Murray won't think twice about showing him the door.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  #41
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Greening is a work out machine and is playing for a big contract.

I don't see it happening getting passed on the depth chart... 40-45Pts with his intangibles gets him 4Yrs 16 million as a UFA

If he believed he'd be passes he would have signed the multi year extension around 2-3 he's been offered
Whether it's likely he gets passed down the depth chart and whether Greening (or his agent, for that matter) thinks he will be passed down the depth chart are 2 very different things. We also don't know how close they were on the extension, and of course there are always a multitude of reasons to turn down such an extension anyways.

I also think people exaggerate the effects of "the contract year". There hasn't been a single issue with his work ethic or whathaveyou in the past few years so I don't see how much he can change in that respect.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
  #42
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Leadership, defensive play, grit, PK, body-checks(Albeit not powerful or very useful) etc...
Greening has played neglible time on the PK (averaged 45 seconds a game this year, 9 seconds a game last year, 54 seconds a game his rookie year), doesn't have an especially good defensive record and I don't know if there's an especially good reason to qualify him as a leader except that he went to a nice college. I guess he lists in his LinkedIn profile but I'm not sure that's enough.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  #43
The Waffler
Registered Offender
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,049
vCash: 500
I think what we're seeing is Greening in his prime, right now.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns into an elite powerforward in the league. But until he starts playing like one, he's a 35-40 point guy if I'm being optimistic.

The Waffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 06:45 PM
  #44
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Leadership, defensive play, grit, PK, body-checks(Albeit not powerful or very useful) etc...
Leadership? I've never heard this about Colin before, anything to support the claim? From what I've heard about him he's very quiet and will generally not partake in many team activities opting to read in the hotel lobbies or hit the gym.

Defensive play? He's pretty average from what I've witnessed.

Grit... Ugh maybe once in about a 10 game span we'll see him try to knock someone over. I liked him in the playoffs when he scored that OT winner with the fibre glass in his face. Pretty much every pundit after words talked how it was so out of character for him.

PK? Here's a list of Sens forwards who played more PK time per game than Greening: Daugavins, Condra, o'Brien, Spezza, Alfredsson, Grant, Regin, Turris, Michalek, Silfverberg and Pageau. Greening played a grand total of 35:41 of SH ice time in 2013.

Body checks? Did you mean back rubs?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:30 PM
  #45
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Leadership? I've never heard this about Colin before, anything to support the claim? From what I've heard about him he's very quiet and will generally not partake in many team activities opting to read in the hotel lobbies or hit the gym.

Defensive play? He's pretty average from what I've witnessed.

Grit... Ugh maybe once in about a 10 game span we'll see him try to knock someone over. I liked him in the playoffs when he scored that OT winner with the fibre glass in his face. Pretty much every pundit after words talked how it was so out of character for him.

PK? Here's a list of Sens forwards who played more PK time per game than Greening: Daugavins, Condra, o'Brien, Spezza, Alfredsson, Grant, Regin, Turris, Michalek, Silfverberg and Pageau. Greening played a grand total of 35:41 of SH ice time in 2013.

Body checks? Did you mean back rubs?
As far as leadership is concerned, I remembered he was captain at Cornell so I looked it up. Greening was "captain in his junior and senior year" and he was " the first sophomore to serve as alternate captain under coach Mike Schafer." Wikipedia is my source on that though, so take it with a grain of salt. He's also one of the Senators NHLPA representatives along with Chris Phillips. He hasn't had a letter in Ottawa but we've also been pretty "set" in that regard for many many years.

As far as intangibles go, he's actually a very well rounded player. He's tough, having never missed a game in College, the AHL, or the NHL game. He doesn't back down and has fought 5 times in the NHL and including bigger guys like Fraser and Aulie. He's also got a rare combination of speed and size and his hits per game have gone up every single year in the NHL and he was the 6th most frequest hitter in the league last season.

Although he doesn't lay monster hits, he doesn't get knocked over either. He's not a major PKer, but he CAN play the PK which is a bonus and he scores at a consistent rate and doesn't take up a bunch of PP time or hog the puck either.

Keep in mind, he was also an Academic All-American outside of hockey and had a 3.95 GPA at Cornell of all places. He's a solid player and an integral part of the team. He plays on the 1st line and the 3rd line and he's in the prime of his career over the next 4-5 years.

I don't think he's worth 4.5 million a season, but something in the range of 2.5-3.0 should be made available for him, imo.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:38 PM
  #46
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
As far as leadership is concerned, I remembered he was captain at Cornell so I looked it up. Greening was "captain in his junior and senior year" and he was " the first sophomore to serve as alternate captain under coach Mike Schafer." Wikipedia is my source on that though, so take it with a grain of salt. He's also one of the Senators NHLPA representatives along with Chris Phillips. He hasn't had a letter in Ottawa but we've also been pretty "set" in that regard for many many years.

As far as intangibles go, he's actually a very well rounded player. He's tough, having never missed a game in College, the AHL, or the NHL game. He doesn't back down and has fought 5 times in the NHL and including bigger guys like Fraser and Aulie. He's also got a rare combination of speed and size and his hits per game have gone up every single year in the NHL and he was the 6th most frequest hitter in the league last season.

Although he doesn't lay monster hits, he doesn't get knocked over either. He's not a major PKer, but he CAN play the PK which is a bonus and he scores at a consistent rate and doesn't take up a bunch of PP time or hog the puck either.

Keep in mind, he was also an Academic All-American outside of hockey and had a 3.95 GPA at Cornell of all places. He's a solid player and an integral part of the team. He plays on the 1st line and the 3rd line and he's in the prime of his career over the next 4-5 years.

I don't think he's worth 4.5 million a season, but something in the range of 2.5-3.0 should be made available for him, imo.
Basically he's a fairly good 3rd line winger. Not sure we'll be a team who pays those types of guys 3M per when we have such a stable of talent in Binghamtom. I'd wager a pretty large sum of money he's not with the Sens past this season.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:40 PM
  #47
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,596
vCash: 392
No....

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:18 PM
  #48
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
Personally, I'd like to see him on a David Moss kind of deal. Say...2 years 4.5 million. 2.25 AAV. or 3 years 7.05 million 2.35 AAV

I think it's fair contracts for both sides. Greening will be 30-31 or 31-32 when it ends and young enough for another good size contract. They're both long enough though to give the Senators some financial stability.

The major benefit for Greening is that he gets paid BEFORE next season. We are, after all, talking about a player who hasn't made a whole lot in his NHL career. If he did suffer a Karlsson type injury over the next season, no one would offer him that kind of stability and he doesn't have a whole lot of time to waste looking for a good opportunity to make big bucks.

The major benefit for Ottawa would be getting a player signed past the dreaded Spezza/Ryan/Anderson renegotiation period when we lose our financial certainty.

What do you guys think? I used Goc, Stahlberg, and Moss as comparisons.

Goc got 1.7 X3 under a lower cap and had worse production.
Stahlberg got 3 X4 for but had a little better production and a 4th year.
and Moss got 2.1X2 but was coming off a bit of an injury.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
  #49
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
What intangibles are you speaking of?
Speed, size and a physical dimension

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
  #50
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Speed, size and a physical dimension
Wouldn't all those qualities fall under 'tangible'?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.