HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Centerman: What's your style?

View Poll Results: Offensively, defensively minded or both?
Offensively 3 14.29%
Defensively 5 23.81%
Both 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2013, 02:59 PM
TheSkatingDead

vCash: 500
Centerman: What's your style?

I’ve been playing center in our beer league since I started and also in high school when I was younger… so I am very familiar with the position… however, as of late, I’m struggling with my offense and lacking the goals I’m known for. I think this is because I’ve transition from being offensively minded to the back-checking 3rd defenseman as our team is lacking defensively. I tend to stay low in the defensive zone covering the slot and then hanging high in the offensive zone.

So, I’m curious fellow centerman’s, what’s your style – offensively, defensively or minded or both?

And for anyone how has any suggestions how to equal them both out, please post them too… that would be very useful.

Here’s an excellent article I discovered by How To Hockey, The Role of a Centerman in Hockey.

Thanks!

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
windycity

I try and play both ways but hate getting scored on (more than I like scoring) so I invariably end up playing more defensively, my team is weak on D as well. So my offense tends to suffer because I'm usually trailing the play into the OZone trying to catch up.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Green Blob*

I play defense in my upper league, mainly stay at home since we have some decent offensive firepower, but i do join the rush when i see fit.

In my lower level (which is still not horrible), i play center and play strictly offense. My team relies on my for the offense(Top 3 scorer in the league the last 4 seasons) so I don't always bust my hump to get back and am not usually totally focused in the defensive zone which is really the complete opposite when im playing for my other team. Save my energy for the offensive zone, but im not one of those guys where my teammates are yelling at to play defense either.

So i voted offensive.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Both. I hate getting scored on and I like playing with more offensive minded wingers. I have pretty good speed and a long stride so even if I'm caught low I can get back. I also like working out and don't mind having to go up and down the ice a few times before changing.

I sometimes will shift to more defensive depending on the game situation and who's on the ice for both teams in beer league. There are a lot of good guys that are fun to shut down either because of the challenge, knowing them, or how they react to it.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:26 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Defensively. My line is usually super offensive with zero backcheck, so even though I can keep up with them on the offensive rush after fishing out the puck from our own zone, I stay back a bit because I know they'll semi-give up on the play if the puck comes back our way.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 07:43 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Defense first for me. I try to not get caught in the offensive zone too low because I don't want to get our defense in trouble. I always like to be in the zone before the third forward from the other team.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 08:28 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Biggest guy on the team by a lot. Stand in front of the net at both ends

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 11:46 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

All offense, but still I can't score ..lol

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
PuckStopper20

I voted both..

Find me behind the net, the face-off circles, or the left point. My defensemen like to crack jokes at me about being a defensive forward and how they know exactly where to find me on the blue line..

PuckStopper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not a good center but I tend to be one of the better offensive forwards on my teams, so I'm usually trying to score. BUT I need to remember to hang back and almost be a third defensemen and let my wingers be more aggressive, that's when they tend to get more chances, and I try and stay above the faceoff dots.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Thesensation19

Mark Messier would say stop thinking about scoring goals or getting points. Stick to the basics, work hard, hustle, and focus on position and you will get more opportunities, and thus more points.

As a center myself, I try to focus on the small thing when the goals dont come. Winning faceoffs and being in the right position. Defensively, I love being the 3rd d-man down low. The guy who watches over the slot and acts as a safety. Do our best to recover the puck and then bring it up.

I let my wingers attack first for the most part, meaning I stay behind and come up slowly. I let my wingers do the work on the outside and I will follow in later looking for open space and seeing the next moves.

So idk what you prefer to do, but when you have issues scoring just focus on the other important stuff.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote