HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Senator Scouts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
  #1
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy
 
Vesa Awesaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Pas
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 64
Ottawa Senator Scouts

Just curious because i couldn't find the exact information i wanted but who are or were our main scout for drafting out of Sweden and Czech Rebublic/Slovakia ?

When looking at our past rosters we seem to be one of the best teams at spotting talent from these areas and acquiring them through either the draft or trades.

The main reason i posted this thread is because we were one of the best teams at making NHL players out of Czech/Slovaks yet it seems we haven't drafted much there in awhile.
Who was responsible for seeing talent in Mezaroes, Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Michalek, Prospal ect

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:26 AM
  #2
Quo
Moderator
storms in my knees
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,560
vCash: 500
Vaclav Burda and Mikko Ruutu are the only two European scouts listed on the Sens website. But I'm sure the man holding down Sweden is Anders Forsberg. Coaches for Skelleftea, highly recommended by Detroit's Hakan Anderson (a big fish in Euro scouting).

This article talks about him (a bit on our Czech/Slovak predilection too).

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:39 AM
  #3
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy
 
Vesa Awesaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Pas
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 64
Great read, exactly what i was looking for thank you

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 07:48 AM
  #4
GreatStateofHockey
Registered User
 
GreatStateofHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 50
Anders Forsberg was absolutely one of our biggest assets until he began his coaching career.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 08:00 AM
  #5
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,299
vCash: 50
The reason we haven't been drafting Czech's and Slovak's is because both countries, whether people from there will admit it, will be the Germany's and Belarus in 10 years. Essentially what I'm saying is that they will be largely irrelevant.

I doubt that Chara and Hossa will be around for the 2018 Olympics, and if they are, they won't be the players that they are today. Their U18 and development teams are really bad. Czech Republic is less crappy, but they are still nothing like the Czech Republic that was the best in the world in 1998. They don't have any Hasek's or Jagr's in their system.

Switzerland will overtake both Czech Republic and Slovakia within the next decade.

Fun fact: In the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Great Britain and France had more players drafted than Slovakia. Let that sink in.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
  #6
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
The reason we haven't been drafting Czech's and Slovak's is because both countries, whether people from there will admit it, will be the Germany's and Belarus in 10 years. Essentially what I'm saying is that they will be largely irrelevant.

I doubt that Chara and Hossa will be around for the 2018 Olympics, and if they are, they won't be the players that they are today. Their U18 and development teams are really bad. Czech Republic is less crappy, but they are still nothing like the Czech Republic that was the best in the world in 1998. They don't have any Hasek's or Jagr's in their system.

Switzerland will overtake both Czech Republic and Slovakia within the next decade.

Fun fact: In the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Great Britain and France had more players drafted than Slovakia. Let that sink in.
The Czechs have steadily been going downhill as a program for over a decade now. Look at the best drafted players coming out of the Czech Republic since the new millennium:

2000 - R. Klesla (1st round pick), R. Cechmanek (6th)
2001 - A. Hemsky (1st), T. Plekanec (3rd), M. Zidlicky (6th)
2002 - J. Hudler (2nd), T. Fleischmann (2nd)
2003 - M. Michalek (1st), J. Hejda (4th)
2004 - R. Olesz (1st), L. Smid (1st), D. Krejci (2nd), R. Polak (6th)
2005 - M. Hanzal (1st), J.Kindl (1st), O. Pavelec (2nd), V. Sobotka (4th),
2006 - M. Frolik (1st), J. Tlusty (1st), M. Neuvirth (2nd)
2007 - J. Voracek (1st), M. Repik (2nd)
2008 - (no one of note)
2009 - (no one of note)
2010 - P. Mrazek (5th)
2011 - (no one of note)

And the bust rate on Czech players has been immense: in 2002, 4 Czechs were taken in the 1st round (Taticek, Klepis, Koreis and Vagner), and every one of them busted. As a whole, the bust rate for Czechs (not just 1st rounders) is way higher than it should be.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  #7
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,504
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey View Post
Anders Forsberg was absolutely one of our biggest assets until he began his coaching career.
Anders deserves incredible praise. The reason why we landed Karlsson, Silfverberg(), Lehner etc...

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  #8
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
From what I've read the Czechs just dont put their resources into hockey like they used to it, there's an even bigger focus on soccer development now.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:02 AM
  #9
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Ruutu and Burda covers all of Europe together. Mostly Ruutu up north, but obviously they both attend the big things.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  #10
DefenseMinister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
They nominally have a "European" scout in Vaclav Burda but based on the way the Sens have drafted since 2008 when Murray put his full staff together, he may as well just park himself in Sweden and not move all year. As mentioned, Forsberg had an amazing record in Sweden until he left the organization to coach there. He mentioned at the time that he would still provide player evaluations if the Sens wanted them since he was not affiliated with another NHL team but it's unclear whether the Sens have any contact with him anymore as it's been a couple years now. Ruutu (who is Jarko and Tuomo's brother FYI) is now working Sweden and the Sens are still drafting players from there so the pipeline appears to be open.

Just as a reminder, in the 6 drafts from 2008 up to the most recent draft, the Sens have taken exactly one player who wasn't from North America or Sweden and that was Jakub Culek in 2010. But that's kind of a cheat since Culek was already in North America with Rimouski when the Sens were scouting him prior to taking him in the draft.

I would assume that Burda helps to coordinate some of the Swedish scouting as part of his duties otherwise they are paying someone to do nothing.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
  #11
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
I heard one of the Gretzky brothers is now a Scout for some NHL team. Didn't catch the whole ticker on the bottom off the TV screen in time.

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
  #12
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
I heard one of the Gretzky brothers is now a Scout for some NHL team. Didn't catch the whole ticker on the bottom off the TV screen in time.
Keith Gretzky got promoted to Director for Amateur Scouting for Boston Bruins. He had a coffee in the NHL many years ago with Buffalo. Previously he worked with Phoenix, probably because his brother coached there.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
  #13
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
They nominally have a "European" scout in Vaclav Burda but based on the way the Sens have drafted since 2008 when Murray put his full staff together, he may as well just park himself in Sweden and not move all year. As mentioned, Forsberg had an amazing record in Sweden until he left the organization to coach there. He mentioned at the time that he would still provide player evaluations if the Sens wanted them since he was not affiliated with another NHL team but it's unclear whether the Sens have any contact with him anymore as it's been a couple years now. Ruutu (who is Jarko and Tuomo's brother FYI) is now working Sweden and the Sens are still drafting players from there so the pipeline appears to be open.

Just as a reminder, in the 6 drafts from 2008 up to the most recent draft, the Sens have taken exactly one player who wasn't from North America or Sweden and that was Jakub Culek in 2010. But that's kind of a cheat since Culek was already in North America with Rimouski when the Sens were scouting him prior to taking him in the draft.

I would assume that Burda helps to coordinate some of the Swedish scouting as part of his duties otherwise they are paying someone to do nothing.
They could be paying him to tell them not to draft certain players too.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
  #14
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 500
Speaking of Scouts this is an interesting look at NCAA nostalgia, also check out the notables at the bottom.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/


Last edited by aragorn: 08-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
  #15
Quo
Moderator
storms in my knees
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Speaking of Scouts this is an interesting look at NCAA nostalgia, also check out the notables at the bottom.
I'd like to read that.

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:19 PM
  #16
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
I'd like to read that.
OOPs, just realized I didn't attach the link, just did. Enjoy.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:38 PM
  #17
Ron Jeremy
Registered User
 
Ron Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Speaking of Scouts this is an interesting look at NCAA nostalgia, also check out the notables at the bottom.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/
Did the dude who wrote that even see Butler play? Power forward?!? Plays with an edge?!? LOL

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 08:55 PM
  #18
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
They could be paying him to tell them not to draft certain players too.
Tim Murray: "Hey Vaclav, here's a list of a dozen Czech guys we're considering in 2014. You've seen all these guys play, right? What do you think?"

Vaclav Burda: (puts a red line through all 12 player's names, then tears the page into pieces, tosses them into a barrel, and lights it on fire) "What do I think? I think you need to go talk to Mikko."

Tim Murray: "Thanks, V!" (skips away)

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
  #19
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
Did the dude who wrote that even see Butler play? Power forward?!? Plays with an edge?!? LOL
Seriously. Maybe he played with an edge in the NCAA, against the tiny players that come out of the US Collegiate system, but it certainly did not translate at all into pro hockey. Dude was possibly out biggest "perimeter player" when he was here.

Also, Cory Conacher only made it to the "Other Notables" blurb at the end of the list, LOL. At least they sort of got Gustafsson & Scrivens right.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 10:17 PM
  #20
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Keith Gretzky got promoted to Director for Amateur Scouting for Boston Bruins. He had a coffee in the NHL many years ago with Buffalo. Previously he worked with Phoenix, probably because his brother coached there.
txs dude.

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.