HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are your top 3 realistic trades for Comrie, and in what order?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 07:18 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Can someone please tell what Stefan has ever accomplished at the NHL level that would at all justify a straight up deal with Comrie?

How about we spend a little less time trying to get a large piece of crap on skates, and maybe someone who could possibly help the team in at least a small way.

I mean, why not just give Comrie away, at least you wouldn't have to pay the salary of Jason Bonsignore part 2.
no one is saying straight up, Stefan is nothing like Bonsignore, at all.

I can't help but wonder how much you've even seen the guy play to call the guy "a large piece of crap on skates"

Old
09-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Can someone please tell what Stefan has ever accomplished at the NHL level that would at all justify a straight up deal with Comrie?
The fact that he gets more points than most Oilers should be an indication he'll be nothing like Bonsignore. And like Speeds said, I've never actually seen a one-for-one proposal mentioned. He's just itching for a breakout season. My only concern would be injuries. He's never played a full season.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Stefan is just itching for a breakout season. My only concern would be injuries. He's never played a full season.
Stefan's injuries tend to be more of the freak-accident kind than the body-wearing-down kind. Someone high-sticked him real good and broke his jaw 2 years ago. Then last year he broke his foot blocking a shot. The only injuries of concern are concussions, but he hasn't had one in like two years so he's probably no worse than anyone else in that regard.

Comparing Stefan to Bonsignore is laughable. I can't think of a single way in which they are alike, aside from being taken high. He's a huge part of the Thrashers team, so much so that I can't imagine him being traded. Did you know he took a pay cut from his rookie salary in order to get a longer deal? It was his idea. He knew his numbers did warrant more money, he wanted to play and prove his worth.

There is so much misinformation about Stefan it's unbelievable.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Stefan's injuries tend to be more of the freak-accident kind than the body-wearing-down kind. Someone high-sticked him real good and broke his jaw 2 years ago. Then last year he broke his foot blocking a shot. The only injuries of concern are concussions, but he hasn't had one in like two years so he's probably no worse than anyone else in that regard.

Comparing Stefan to Bonsignore is laughable. I can't think of a single way in which they are alike, aside from being taken high. He's a huge part of the Thrashers team, so much so that I can't imagine him being traded. Did you know he took a pay cut from his rookie salary in order to get a longer deal? It was his idea. He knew his numbers did warrant more money, he wanted to play and prove his worth.

There is so much misinformation about Stefan it's unbelievable.
Let's put it this way... he has yet to accomplish anything worth noting in his 4 years in the NHL. It also doesn't look like he is on his way to doing anything either. The fact is Comrie is better offensively, as well as better defensively. In fact Comrie only got 1 minute more of ice-time per game, yet significantly out-performed Stefan.

You tip toeing around his injuries does not change the fact that he still hasn't played a full season. Just like Smyth, his value is reduced because he gets injured.

My comparison to Bonsignore was exaggerated, but Stefan is not a top 2 line centre in the NHL, and I don't think he ever will be.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:52 AM
TheBrew

Scott Hartnell is looking better and better can Hartnell play centre?if not Smyth would have to play it or Dvorak.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
At the same time, though, that's like saying that Hemsky doesn't have any 50 point seasons either. And right now, as far as most people are concerned, Chistov more or less equals Hemsky. Would you trade Hemsky for Comrie?

I would love to see Chistov come here, but the more I think about it, the more unrealistic I think it is.

Scatchard has been brought up, and although I'm not his biggest fan here, if the Oilers could get him and Robert Nilsson (who I've heard the Oilers love), I'd do it. It doesn't help much with the forward problem, though.

not a knock on Comrie,but Scatchard+Nilsson is overpaying on the nyi part.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:56 AM
speeds

Quote:
Let's put it this way... he has yet to accomplish anything worth noting in his 4 years in the NHL. It also doesn't look like he is on his way to doing anything either. The fact is Comrie is better offensively, as well as better defensively.
your "fact" is an opinion, and in my opinion I'd have to say Comrie is better offensively, but worse defensively. IMO it does look like Stefan is on his way to doing something.

Quote:
My comparison to Bonsignore was exaggerated, but Stefan is not a top 2 line centre in the NHL, and I don't think he ever will be.
It's not exagerrated, they aren't alike at all.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:14 AM
momentai

Quote:
The fact is Comrie is better offensively, as well as better defensively.
Majorly disagree. Stefan is a very good at the defensive side of things. How can you possibly say that Comrie is better in that regard?

Old
09-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Holly Gunning

Stefan's defense is one of the main reasons he always centers Kovalchuk. He's good enough defensively to make up for Ilya's mistakes. His spot on passing is a big part too.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Scatchard has been brought up, and although I'm not his biggest fan here, if the Oilers could get him and Robert Nilsson (who I've heard the Oilers love), I'd do it. It doesn't help much with the forward problem, though.
Does anyone remember seeing a quote along the lines of "don't be surprised to see Nilsson start his nhl career as an Oiler"?

I don't remember who said it, or if it was just "sources" in a newspaper article.

Without getting into a great debate about the exact details, this trade proposal has a lot of merit.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Lowetide

The reason I keep bring up Hartnell is that he could give the team a pretty interesing set of top 4 wingers: Smyth, Isbister, Hemsky, Hartnell. A unique blend of size and skill, with a kid who could be a killer.

The Islanders used to do that you know. Gillies-Bossy between Trottier, who was 5'11, and then Goring (5'10 and skinny) between Tonelli and Nystrom. Their third line center was Bob Bourne who was a big man. The difference of course is that Trottier and Goring were demons on the forecheck.

However, you could reasonably have York and another smaller guy centering if Smyth, Hartnell and Isbister and still get a good result.

This might be the last time we get to mention Hartnell in a trade conversation too. He'll break out and be a core player pdq.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Freakey Styley

i don't think stefan is ever gonna be more than an average player, i've always been told you can't trust guys that are invisible, and stefan is one invisible dude, you see him make one good play per game and then it's nothing, although in last year's playoff comrie was invisible, but before his injury you always noticed #89 and even after his injury he was that bad, i remember his first game back against mtl, i saw the game with my buddies and they were pissing in their pants as comrie was the best player on the ice, i've never heard of someone pissing on themselves because of stefan (atleast not because his play was good).

i'd say comrie straight up: hartnell, hainsey, hudler.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Freakey Styley

i meant after his injury he WASN'T that bad

Old
09-28-2003, 12:08 PM
dawgbone

Well let's put it this way... in almost every scouting report I have read, it has been stated that Stefan is poor in his own end (tsn.ca, and the hockey players almanac 2002). Comries knock was when the puck wasn't going in for him, he put too much effort into trying to score, and not enough into the defensive end.

That is a little different from Comries invisible in his own end for 10 games.

And speeds... what do you call a high draft pick that was supposed to be great offensively but doesn't show it, and won't become it? That is how Bonsignore and Stefan are similar. I never said exaclty alike, I never said perfect clone, but I forgot that occassionaly some people need their mittens tied to their coat.

He was supposed to be an offensive player, but has been an utter disappointment.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:14 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The reason I keep bring up Hartnell is that he could give the team a pretty interesing set of top 4 wingers: Smyth, Isbister, Hemsky, Hartnell. A unique blend of size and skill, with a kid who could be a killer .
What would we do with Dvorak?

Old
09-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Well let's put it this way... in almost every scouting report I have read, it has been stated that Stefan is poor in his own end (tsn.ca, and the hockey players almanac 2002)..
Well they are simply wrong then.

Stefan has had one of the best plus/minuses on the team for several years running, and is a mainstay on the PK. Many on the Atlanta board want to move him to the third line to take advantage of his defensive skills. I think that's a waste of his offensive talent personally.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:18 PM
speeds

Quote:
And speeds... what do you call a high draft pick that was supposed to be great offensively but doesn't show it, and won't become it?
you a psychic now?

Quote:
That is how Bonsignore and Stefan are similar.
I'm not gonna get into a semantic debate on what similar means, but suffice it to say my interpretation is different from yours

Quote:
I never said exaclty alike, I never said perfect clone, but I forgot that occassionaly some people need their mittens tied to their coat.
instead of taking cheap shots when it's obvious you haven't seen the guy play, and don't know anything about him, why not just admit that and move on?

Quote:
He was supposed to be an offensive player, but has been an utter disappointment.
He has been a disappointment compared to where he was drafted (so far), but he hasn't been an "utter" disappointment.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:24 PM
oildrop

Why is everyone so high on Lundmark? Sure he's a local boy and all that but that doesn't mean he's great or anything. He hasn't proved anything to equal what Comrie has showed this early in his career. The Oilers need to trade Comrie and Moreau or a prospect for someone who is PROVEN. We don't need another "potential to be good" type of player.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:35 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
you a psychic now?
Let's put it this way... most young nhlers have somewhat of an improvement curve, and Stefan hasn't shown it.

Quote:
I'm not gonna get into a semantic debate on what similar means, but suffice it to say my interpretation is different from yours
apparantly so

Quote:
instead of taking cheap shots when it's obvious you haven't seen the guy play, and don't know anything about him, why not just admit that and move on?
Yup, never once seen him play, you got me there. Just 5 games he has played against Edmonton and the 16 or so against Toronto in his career... And there is nothing that justifies us trading Comrie for him.

Quote:
He has been a disappointment compared to where he was drafted (so far), but he hasn't been an "utter" disappointment.
A 1st overall pick, who hasn't shown that he can be anything more than a 3rd line player is an utter disappointment.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:07 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

you would have to say realistic ... ...

Who I would like is

1. Jokinen
2. Martin St. Louis
3. John Madden

Old
09-28-2003, 01:58 PM
choppystride

I also have to wonder why everyone is so interested in Stefan and Lundmark. They both have not shown much improvement since entering the league. At least not the kind of improvement you would expect from top offensive prospects. Stefan, imho, will not see the light of day beyond 3rd line center on a half decent team. And I seriously doubt that he'll be anything more than that in his career. As for Lundmark, not only is he still a fringe player for NYR, he hasn't even shown that he can dominate the AHL when assigned there. Even back in junior, he wasn't a dominant player. I wonder if he's gonna be the 2nd coming of Maholtra.

The Oilers already have too many prospects that are projected to be 3rd line type of players. If we're trading Comrie, we really need to get a proven commodity or something close to a sure fire prospect. I wouldn't mind if we package Comrie along with one of our prospects and actually overpay for someone like that b/c we have no need for more plumbers and suspects.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:42 PM
OilBeDrillin'

just a few other names that have yet to be mentioned thus far:
  • Nikolai Antropov
  • Kyle Calder
  • Shane Doan
  • Brad Stuart

Old
09-28-2003, 03:05 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
it is doubtful the coyotes will trade a wing for another C, as they already have 6 that are NHL calibre.

I'd love Shane Doan on the Oilers though...

Old
09-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
it is doubtful the coyotes will trade a wing for another C, as they already have 6 that are NHL calibre.

I'd love Shane Doan on the Oilers though...
Didn't the 'yotes move Doan to center?

He's a great player but he's a bit old for the Oilers to trade Comrie for. He turns 27 next month, that would only give us 3 years worth of playing time b4 we have to start looking at trading him.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:01 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
he played both W/C last year for the yotes, mostly C i believe but this year he is slotted to play his natural RW position.

Closed Thread