HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Off-Season Thread Part VI - Are we there yet? (Grabovski to Caps, 1 yr)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hammer can play both sides. He has been a key member of not 1 but 2 Cup teams. Oduya-Hammer are an excellent pair. Hawks don't win without them. When Canada picked the players for the camp,people were surprised Girardi wasn't there. Subban. Doughty. Weber. Seabrook. Pietrangelo. Letang. Girardi is not a better player than those players. Girardi is a very good player.
While still better than Girardi, Seabrook is a very overrated player who has been carried by Keith.

If I'm Bowman I'd try to move him for some young cost-controlled talent to cash in on his perceived value and some cap relief. Like Brodin out of Minnesota. Or try to trick the Rangers into giving up Stepan+Strålman for Seabrook+Shaw or something.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Stepan-Kane
Bickell-Krüger-Morin
Hayes-Handzus-Bollig?

Keith-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Strålman/Rozsival
Leddy-Rozsival/Strålman

That might be the best defensive center corps ever assembled.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Green Blob*

I just realized there is only 12 days till the first preseason game!

GETTING PUMPED...

Old
09-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Neither has any kind of no trade or no movement clause. I doubt the Rangers would re-sign them now to a cap-friendly, long-term deal just so they can trade them before their current contracts are up. We aren't the flyers and Cally and Girardi aren't Carter and Richards. I can't see that being a concern for either player.
Not saying it's likely, but like you said Carter and Richards, things happen, GMs are fickle and if at next years UFA period if they have one in mind, what better way to open up lots of cap space and acquire some assets back then moving a player on a fair, if not better than, market deal.

I mean if the Rangers are saying it's just business, Stepan, Del Zotto, have to take a bridge deal, why couldn't they say the same thing about moving a player before his clause kicked in?

Old
09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Paulie Walnutz
Corsi? Fuhgedaboudit

Send a message via AIM to Paulie Walnutz
Pretty good article on NHL.com about Beukeboom mentoring McIlrath if anyone's interested

Old
09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
pld459666

If Girardi wants to remain a Rangers player, he will accept less than 5 per.

If Girardi wants to cash in, he WILL get north of 5 per on the open market next season when the cap is expected to rise even a modest 5%.

What Hammer signed for today and what Girardi could sign for in July are not comparable.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
#Blackhawks Hjalmarsson: "I might have been able to get more had I waited, but I make a lot of money." Now that's refreshing.
https://twitter.com/TimSassone/statu...92733805457408

Quote:
Hjalmarsson stressed how much he loves playing in Chicago. He said "it pretty much feels like home."
https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/375293103705317376

Old
09-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
While still better than Girardi, Seabrook is a very overrated player who has been carried by Keith.

If I'm Bowman I'd try to move him for some young cost-controlled talent to cash in on his perceived value and some cap relief. Like Brodin out of Minnesota. Or try to trick the Rangers into giving up Stepan+Strålman for Seabrook+Shaw or something.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Stepan-Kane
Bickell-Krüger-Morin
Hayes-Handzus-Bollig?

Keith-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Strålman/Rozsival
Leddy-Rozsival/Strålman

except Sather would hang up... We dont need more defense, especially at the cost of our #1c.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:35 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Girardi will be 30 when his current contract expires.

Hjalmarsson plays both sides. Left and right. He is 26. Has one year left on his contract. He will be 32 when his extension expires.

Hopefully Samuelsson can help Del Zotto make the transition to playing the right side. Moore played the right side in Columbus. Someone will need to play the right side.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:38 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Wanting a deal close to McDonagh's vs. a 2 year bridge deal is a severe gap. I mean, they're not even in the same area code.

Sather will convince Stepan's agent to take a 2 year deal or go out and get an offer sheet. Then they'll haggle over the $$$ amount on the bridge deal.

These things take time. Jackie Chiles isn't in that room.
It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

But yeah, good point. I feel like Step has to know that realistically he's not getting that McD deal. Oh well. I just hope he doesn't miss camp. After last season, if he misses camp and then starts slow, it's going to be a bad time.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Stepan-Kane
Bickell-Krüger-Morin
Hayes-Handzus-Bollig?

Keith-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Strålman/Rozsival
Leddy-Rozsival/Strålman

Seabrook was inconsistent in the playoffs. He struggled in the Wings series.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:50 AM
bernmeister

Quote:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Stepan-Kane
Bickell-Krüger-Morin
Hayes-Handzus-Bollig?

Keith-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Strålman/Rozsival
Leddy-Rozsival/Strålman

If we were gonna give up Step, given we already committed to Richards this year only but have options following year, I believe we can do something around Seth Jones for Step, feel free to do adds.

If Jones only needs 1/2 season before nhl ready to start at 3rd or 2nd pair, could go this way, then consider what value Girardi has on trade market vs. for playoff run.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
except Sather would hang up... We dont need more defense, especially at the cost of our #1c.
I would hope so, I said if I'm Bowman I'd try to trick Sather into taking that deal. I'd never do that deal from the Rangers' perspective.

I really like our roster as it is at the moment (including a signed Stepan of course) and don't want to tamper with it until we see what we have on the ice.

I'm actually terrified that Sather doesn't really know what he has and will be taken advantage of by other GM's like in the proposed deal above. Or Doug Wilson calls and suddenly we see:

Confirmed Trade with Link: [NYR/SJ] Carl Hagelin for Raffi Torres and 1st Round Pick 2014 (SJ)

Old
09-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

Quote:

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Stepan-Kane
Bickell-Krüger-Morin
Hayes-Handzus-Bollig?

Keith-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Strålman/Rozsival
Leddy-Rozsival/Strålman

Seabrook struggled at times this year but he is perfect compliment to Keith's game and is big leader in locker room and face of franchise

Seabrook is regarded as a part of Hawks core and Bowman has stated he has no intention of moving any core players off team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Seabrook was inconsistent in the playoffs. He struggled in the Wings series.
He broke out of his funk in game 7 of Wings series and was great for final 2 series (Probably was best Hawk defender vs Kings)

Hawks simply cant replace what Seabrook brings to team physically and leadership wise

Old
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Fletcher already got hoodwinked by Bowman on the Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson for Cam Barker deal. Fletcher sees Bowman calling him and lets go it to voice mail.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
NYR Viper

I was looking at the Devils roster, they are going to be a pretty large team. Clowe, Zubrus, Jagr, Bernier and Olezs are all pretty large on the wings. I didn't realize.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I was looking at the Devils roster, they are going to be a pretty large team. Clowe, Zubrus, Jagr, Bernier and Olezs are all pretty large on the wings. I didn't realize.
Also pretty slow and old. Just looks like a team that's going to run out of gas later in the season.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Also pretty slow and old. Just looks like a team that's going to run out of gas later in the season.
While that is true, it also looks like a team whose PP will be pretty deadly if they can mesh well. Jagr, Ryder, Zajac, Clowe, Elias, Zidlicky.

They are going to feast on the PP

Old
09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
While that is true, it also looks like a team whose PP will be pretty deadly if they can mesh well. Jagr, Ryder, Zajac, Clowe, Elias, Zidlicky.

They are going to feast on the PP
Yeah, that does worry me. Especially if the box opens and Jagr or Elias can hit Ryder on the off-wing for that one-timer. Wish we had a shot like that hanging around.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

I still think Sather should've signed Ryder for a 1 or 2 year deal. We need a shot like that on the PP.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, that does worry me. Especially if the box opens and Jagr or Elias can hit Ryder on the off-wing for that one-timer. Wish we had a shot like that hanging around.
Agreed. It would be nice. Or someone who can take charge on the PP like Jagr or Elias.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Paulie Walnutz
Corsi? Fuhgedaboudit

Send a message via AIM to Paulie Walnutz
Quote:
Agreed. It would be nice. Or someone who can take charge on the PP like Jagr or Elias.
Thank God we threw big bucks for an "elite" Richards

Old
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The Rangers really don't have anybody on their roster that can shoot the puck.

Ales Kotalik stunk, but his bomb from the point was a huge equalizer, and incidentally the last time the Rangers powerplay looked functional in any way.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Mr Atoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Rangers really don't have anybody on their roster that can shoot the puck.

Ales Kotalik stunk, but his bomb from the point was a huge equalizer, and incidentally the last time the Rangers powerplay looked functional in any way.
Do you mean the three games in a row he fell at the blue line and gave up breakaways? Yes, three games in a row. I hated that *****.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:23 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

http://www.fairmont.com/banff-spring...-flood-relief/

Details of the Rangers golf outing to raise money for the Alberta flood victims

Old
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

This article was mentioned earlier today

Quote:
McIlrath refined that style as the AHL season went along, collecting five assists and 125 penalty minutes in his 45 games. By season's end, Beukeboom was excited to see the emergence of a prospect who played so much like, well, himself.

"Now you're going to see him really come on. He's a very valuable commodity from the Rangers' perspective. Even though they're deep [on defense], they don't have that type of player," Beukeboom said. "From Day One, his first game, I think he was looking forward to the confrontation part of the game. His first game, he fought a man. He's a joy to be around and I'm looking forward to seeing where his development takes him."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681359

Gordie Clark told Jim Cerny in June/July the Rangers plan is assigning McIlrath to the Pack and having him play major minutes. Rangers management will re-evaluate McIlrath around Christmas time.

The Rangers don't have a physical presence on D. Not even close.

Closed Thread