vCash: 50
Huge opportunity for Sami.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:24 PM
justheducks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Anyone else think that this could open the door and make it easier for Teemu to come back?
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed now that we cleared some salary cap room.

justheducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Anyone else think that this could open the door and make it easier for Teemu to come back?
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed now that we cleared some salary cap room.
If it was a forward yes it would have but salary was never the issue with teemu the issue is we have better younger players than him currently and he wants to have a top role

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Stefan Warg will play for Ducks opening night.

You heard it here first

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'm with ya Soj. I hope he does figure it out because he's very talented. I just want to see it before I believe it though...He hasn't put it together yet so it doesn't really give me a reason to believe this year will be his year. Big year for him...hope he's training his ass off.
I agree. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially after the season he just had. It wasn't just the number of mistakes we saw, but the fact that they seemed to be the same mistakes over and over again. That, to me, is a little disheartening, because you want to see a young player(and, to be fair, 23 is still very young for a defenseman) learn from his mistakes.

I'm going to cross my fingers that he can step it up and hit that next level, but I need to see it happen. Until he proves otherwise, I'm just going to assume what we see is what we get. The players that, I'd hope, surprise us are Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen. For everyone else, I'd expect more of the same(except maybe Lovejoy, who I don't expect to maintain his playoff level).

08-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Salary was never the issue with Teemu. The question is his role, and this doesn't change that at all.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
justheducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Salary was never the issue with Teemu. The question is his role, and this doesn't change that at all.
I am talking from a Bob Murray point of view. I highly doubt that Teemu signs a "bargain" deal. It will make it easier to pull the trigger knowing we will still have quite a bit salary room now just in case another injury happens. If Souray doesn't get hurt then we have a salary problem if Teemu takes anything more than $3 million.

Old
08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I am talking from a Bob Murray point of view. I highly doubt that Teemu signs a "bargain" deal. It will make it easier to pull the trigger knowing we will still have quite a bit salary room now just in case another injury happens. If Souray doesn't get hurt then we have a salary problem if Teemu takes anything more than $3 million.
Teemu and Murray were just on record saying the price tag was not an issue, and never was, but that Teemu wants assurances that, if he plays well enough, he can earn a top role. What you're saying basically flies in the face of what they just said.

Old
08-20-2013, 01:43 PM
PhoenyX

Pretty sure Beach said he will be ready to start the season.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

He did, and Murray said he's learned not to argue with him about that sort of thing.

Whether or not his body agrees with him has yet to be determined, but he's such a physical freak I wouldn't put it past him. I don't want him coming back too soon and reinjuring himself though.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:01 PM
justheducks

Quote:
Teemu and Murray were just on record saying the price tag was not an issue, and never was, but that Teemu wants assurances that, if he plays well enough, he can earn a top role. What you're saying basically flies in the face of what they just said.
Glad you believe everything you read...
You are crazy if you think that price tag doesn't matter to a BUDGET team.
You know Bob will try and squeeze every penny where he can cause that is the kind of person he is.
And all I said was that it makes is EASIER to sign Teemu knowing we will have more salary cap room cause no Souray for half the season. I don't see how that statement is wrong.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
You know Bob will try and squeeze every penny where he can cause that is the kind of person he is.
And all I said was that it makes is EASIER to sign Teemu knowing we will have more salary cap room cause no Souray for half the season. I don't see how that statement is wrong.
You're behind on the times. The report is that Samueli gave Murray the green light to spend money. But, of course, maybe I'm just believing everything I read.

No, what you said is that this opens the door to sign Selanne, and that simply isn't true. Losing Souray has no significance on bringing Selanne back.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
What kind of person is that? A smart GM in any market?

It's also questionable how "budget" the team currently is with the addition of revenue sharing - I don't know that the amount the Ducks are getting was ever announced, but it could be enough to allow them to now spend to the cap while maintaining the level of losses Samueli was already willing to do.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:22 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
definitely huge to see if our kids can step up. god that souray contract is looking mighty mighty bad. eveyrone knew term was a problem with how injury prone he was

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:34 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
I'm as high on Lindholm as anyone, but your expectations are not realistic. If he plays as well as you're suggesting, he'd be challenging for the Calder.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lindholm has the potential to be a terrific defenseman, but this would be his first season and you're expecting him to replace a veteran who was one of our best last season.

It's no secret that I've questioned how good Sbisa can be for a while now, but he definitely has the talent to be a top 4 guy. It's the mental part that I don't know about. He seems to get tunnel vision, and he makes some truly stupid decisions. We definitely need him to figure it out, because losing Souray will hurt.
How are they not realistic? Most mention that his game could be just as strong as Brodin's is and Brodin should have essentially been 1 or 2 in Calder voting last season. Had he not missed the first few games, he probably would have.

Lindholm could be just as good. He could easily bea top 4 guy

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:35 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Unless it is said anywhere, this could have just been a freak accident, someone elses mistake that got him hurt, not necessarily because he is "injury prone".

This just means come playoffs he will be way more rested then others and he will just dominate!

Also I would put Fistric over Lindholm, experience most likely wins in this case.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Yowza. I always worried about Souray staying healthy, but he hurts himself training?

Regardless of what Beauch says I'm not sure he will be ready to start the season or that he will be close to 100% even if he does start the season.

This is going to make for a tough start to the season. The only way we survive this if is Sbisa steps up big and there is certainly some doubt about that. Sami doesn't play Souray's or Beauch's game. If we can't keep the puck out of our own net it really won't matter if Sami scores and we keep losing 6-4.

I guess it would also help if Fasth fixes his 5 hole and Jonas figures out the angles on the short side.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
This just means come playoffs he will be way more rested then others and he will just dominate!
yeah...well...

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Paul4587

This is one of the many reasons I've been so critical of our defense going into this season. We lack top end guys and what good top end guys and when looking at our top pairing it's hard to really rely on guy like Souray with his history. So we now officially have two top 4 defensemen going into this season. We're going to be seeing a lot of Lovejoy and Sbisa in the top 4 at this rate.

Fistric is a good #7-8 guy but I really hope something else is in the works - 4-6 months is a long time to be without our 3rd best defenseman especially considering Beauch is coming off ACL surgery.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:59 PM
AngelDuck

Just FYI, Souray is out 4-6 months from when he had the surgery, not from now. So it's really more like 3-5 months from now. Still a long time.

He had his surgery on July 17th.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
This is one of the many reasons I've been so critical of our defense going into this season. We lack top end guys and what good top end guys and when looking at our top pairing it's hard to really rely on guy like Souray with his history. So we now officially have two top 4 defensemen going into this season. We're going to be seeing a lot of Lovejoy and Sbisa in the top 4 at this rate.

Fistric is a good #7-8 guy but I really hope something else is in the works - 4-6 months is a long time to be without our 3rd best defenseman especially considering Beauch is coming off ACL surgery.
I think they'll wait to see what the situation is in camp, but who knows, maybe there's a good 2nd pairing guy that can be had on the trade market that we can't pass up.

I'm pretty sure that Fistric is there to keep the press box warm most nights.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:55 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I hate Fistric. Would rather re-sign Lydman.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I hate Fistric. Would rather re-sign Lydman.
Lydman all but announced his retirement didn't he?

Anyway I'll take a shot at the pairings:

Fowler - Beauchemin
Allen - Lovejoy
Sbisa - Vatanen

Top heavy - a good first pairing and essentially two third pairings. Sbisa - Vatanen worries me but so does Sbisa - Lovejoy. Splitting up Fowler and Beauch is also an option but I don't really trust anyone else to play on the top pairing with Beauch except Fowler.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I would go with

Fowler-Lovejoy
Beauchemin-Allen
Sbisa-Fistric/Vatanen/Lindholm

Lovejoy was good in playoffs, maybe he can repeat that. Allen can be the muscle while Beauchemin recovers and Beauchemin carries the puck. Sbisa plays with the one who earns the spot.

So if Beauchemin isn't ready for the season start, they are doomed.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
He will be on LTIR, We save some money.
Actually it's the opposite. For a cap team, there is cap money freed up. But for a budget team, it's worse because you still have to pay for the injured player and the replacement.

edit: oh and as to the topic. I just have to laugh. Because that's the only think I can do.

I don't quite get the tweet. Did he have surgery on July 17? Or he was injured on the 17th and just had surgery now?

Last edited by snarktacular: 08-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote