Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I would go with

Fowler-Lovejoy
Beauchemin-Allen
Sbisa-Fistric/Vatanen/Lindholm

Lovejoy was good in playoffs, maybe he can repeat that. Allen can be the muscle while Beauchemin recovers and Beauchemin carries the puck. Sbisa plays with the one who earns the spot.

So if Beauchemin isn't ready for the season start, they are doomed.
I absolutely hate Lovejoy on that top pairing. I didn't rate his game as highly as most in the playoffs - he was much improved over his Pittsburgh days but he still turning the puck over a ton, he and Fowler were vulnerable in front of the net as neither seemed willing to clear the crease and it was his retarded clear that led to the icing in game 6 OT that cost us the game.

If he has to be used in a #4-5 role then fine (still not ideal IMO) but no way do I want him playing #2-3 minutes.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Lydman all but announced his retirement didn't he?

Anyway I'll take a shot at the pairings:

Fowler - Beauchemin
Allen - Lovejoy
Sbisa - Vatanen

Top heavy - a good first pairing and essentially two third pairings. Sbisa - Vatanen worries me but so does Sbisa - Lovejoy. Splitting up Fowler and Beauch is also an option but I don't really trust anyone else to play on the top pairing with Beauch except Fowler.
Still better than Fistric *cringe*

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Selanne138

Opening night defensive lineup

Fowler-Lovejoy
Sbisa-Allen
Vatanen-Fistric

Or some other combination of those 6. That is a scary thought. Going to now say that Lindholm makes the opening night roster and plays a well enough to ask questions when Beauch comes back.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

If Beauch is not ready for opening night and the Ducks ice a d of Fowler, Sbisa, Allen, Lovejoy, Vatannan and Fistric t, it could be a long season. That D is Oilers D bad.

I really hope Beauch is ready.

Last edited by KelVarnsen: 08-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Fistric does legitimately add an element of snarl to the defense. It comes with a huge helping of skating away from the actual play to provide it, but he's going to add an otherwise missing element.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Elvs

Wow, though blow. Unless someone surprises, I have a hard time believing this team will reach the playoffs. Souray was our 2nd best defenseman most of the regular season imo. Paul already said it, Beauchemin and Fowler are the only two defensemen on the team that should have any business in the top 4. As for Fistric, he's big and he's mean. I like him as a 7th defenseman when everyone is healthy.

Last edited by Elvs: 08-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Fistric is essentially the other side of the coin as Lovejoy. I would probably have more faith in Vats and Leeeends to eat the minutes.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

We would probably need Fowler to play at the same defensive level as last season, but he needs to start producing some offensive numbers as well (like his 40-point first year).
Sbisa needs to get better, especially his decisions in the defensive zone.
Wouldn't expect Lovejoy to be any better than last season, borderline top4 D imo.
Lindholm could have a Brodin-ish season, who knows? They have quite similar build-up to their NHL debut, but Lindholm should have the size advantage. And an injury disadvantage...?
Vatanen should be a force on the powerplay and help our struggling puck movement as well.
Allen should...clear the crease.

I believe in our talented young guys, and just because Souray (who essentially was a healthy scratch during the end of last season) is injured long-term, it shouldn't jeopardize our playoff chances too much. But we do need Beauchemin to get back quick and healthy. This season he will be more important than ever.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
visiting from the stars board, but 50+ posts in without how this affects kyle cumiskey? is he a viable replacement while souray is on the shelf?

about fistric, he's big and strong but slow with hands of stone. he'll battle for you and lay some tremendous open ice hits. his ideal role is as a #7/8.

ginblossoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Fistric is essentially the other side of the coin as Lovejoy. I would probably have more faith in Vats and Leeeends to eat the minutes.
At this point I agree. Allen stepping up would be helpful but at this point he is what he is - a decent #5.

Old
08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
visiting from the stars board, but 50+ posts in without how this affects kyle cumiskey? is he a viable replacement while souray is on the shelf?

about fistric, he's big and strong but slow with hands of stone. he'll battle for you and lay some tremendous open ice hits. his ideal role is as a #7/8.
Only if you have a speed skating competition.

08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Terry Yake

wow if sbisa doesn't step it up bigtime we are royally screwed. the defense wasn't great to begin with and with souray out, it just got alot worse

even if lindholm does get the call up, do we really think he's going to make an impact right away? this is sbisa's time to shine and for the FO to ultimately decide whether he stays or goes

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Exit Dose

It'll be interesting to see if guys like Clark and O'Brien step it up to fight for the temp job.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

The problem with expecting guys like Sami or Hampus to pick up the slack is that their best chance for success would be to be paired with a vet who can help cover for them and that they can learn from. We are pretty much fresh out of those kind of guys except for Beauch and I don't want any rookie playing top pairing no matter who they are with.

I think it really is time for Sbisa to take a big step up.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
eenok*

hello non plan having marks here for a long time but finnish newspaper flash news big time stated former montrealler backline king policedfensman and really good at it souray to stay out long time (months at days)

so hello bells ringing..winds in change for anaheim bad or positive. the only my opinion worth really of dirty police job for team out ..what to wear in anaheim dress til back?

i think this

vatanen: lovejoy
fowler:beaucheming
allen:????????

i think the new dfensman is for filling in here as dfensman nr7. sbisa will in as BB is boss play. i think sbisa will have lot errors at game this year as BB sure give him lots time. i dont think he will make a move at this game in game. sbisa will play killing team or not.as always....iwould play some else..anyone, or just give him very limited icetime...very little..like 3,5-4mins game

lindholm? dont think so,in my book not good , perhaps not will be competing in NHL in future..my book of course no offense

will do enough touchness in backline? i say put some forward do some touch jobs at homeend. also i state that speed at dfensmans legs can handle hard situations around own zoun. and of course brains a la vatanen

vatanen in 2nd line also can be ok. as long as KEEROLEfeeded to PP . that will light him up for herogaming etc.

EENOK,HOCKEYPROFESSOR,IL,FINLAND

Last edited by eenok*: 08-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.
eenok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Paul4587

Vatanen and Lovejoy will barely touch the ice together (both RHS, not to mention that pairing isn't a likely scenario) let alone play as the top pairing. That lineup is hilarious though - nice work leaving out Sbisa.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenok View Post
hello non plan having marks here for a long time but finnish newspaper flash news big time stated former montrealler backline king policedfensman and really good at it souray to stay out long time (months at days)

so hello bells ringing..winds in change for anaheim bad or positive. the only my opinion worth really of dirty police job for team out ..what to wear in anaheim dress til back?

i think this

vatanen: lovejoy
fowler:beaucheming
allen:????????

i think the new dfensman is for filling in here as dfensman nr7. sbisa will in as BB is boss play. i think sbisa will have lot errors at game this year as BB sure give him lots time. i dont think he will make a move at this game in game. sbisa will play killing team or not.as always....iwould play some else..anyone, or just give him very limited icetime...very little..like 3,5-4mins game

lindholm? dont think so,in my book not good , perhaps not will be competing in NHL in future..my book of course no offense

will do enough touchness in backline? i say put some forward do some touch jobs at homeend. also i state that speed at dfensmans legs can handle hard situations around own zoun. and of course brains a la vatanen

vatanen in 2nd line also can be ok. as long as KEEROLEfeeded to PP . that will light him up for herogaming etc.

EENOK,HOCKEYPROFESSOR,IL,FINLAND

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
IDuck

Like a fine wine eenok

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:04 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
sbisa needs to really step up this season but its gonna be nerve wracking for me to watch because of sbisa stepping up isn't about doing more, its about doing less. he needs to keep his game super simple and when he does that, he's a real effective top-4 d-man. we got to see flashes of that the season before the lockout where he had some stretches where he looked like a legit top-4 d-man. was keeping everything simple and when he could he'd just skate it out of the zone. hopefully he's ready to deliver some more consistency now

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
The problem with expecting guys like Sami or Hampus to pick up the slack is that their best chance for success would be to be paired with a vet who can help cover for them and that they can learn from. We are pretty much fresh out of those kind of guys except for Beauch and I don't want any rookie playing top pairing no matter who they are with.

I think it really is time for Sbisa to take a big step up.
I'd probably be okay with someone like Lindholm with a guy like Lovejoy, because of how he plays. With Sami, though, I agree. I think a veteran presence could help, and maybe rein him in when he gets a bit too loose. You don't want to change his game, but you want a vet there to cover for him and maybe give him poke if he gets a little gung-ho.

Really though, we need Sbisa to figure it out, and if he can't do that I don't like his chances in Anaheim beyond this season.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:20 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

He hurt himself "throwing" a "40 lb medicine ball"... Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

I guess it's better than a snow plow incident or pancakes.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:39 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'd probably be okay with someone like Lindholm with a guy like Lovejoy, because of how he plays. With Sami, though, I agree. I think a veteran presence could help, and maybe rein him in when he gets a bit too loose. You don't want to change his game, but you want a vet there to cover for him and maybe give him poke if he gets a little gung-ho.

Really though, we need Sbisa to figure it out, and if he can't do that I don't like his chances in Anaheim beyond this season.
honestly i'd run

beauch-sami
fowler-sbisa
lovejoy-lindholm

just has the most balance out there imo.

edit: oh snap forgot about allen.

beauch-sami
fowler-sbisa
allen-lovejoy

allen/lovejoy were good together

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
He hurt himself "throwing" a "40 lb medicine ball"... Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

I guess it's better than a snow plow incident or pancakes.
I don't know about that. If I have to get hurt I'd prefer the pancake route.

Old
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
Like a fine wine eenok
More like two buck Chuck left open for a week.

Old
08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
honestly i'd run

beauch-sami
fowler-sbisa
lovejoy-lindholm

just has the most balance out there imo.

edit: oh snap forgot about allen.

beauch-sami
fowler-sbisa
allen-lovejoy

allen/lovejoy were good together
It might be the most balanced, but it would probably be a train wreck. When your depth takes that kind of hit, you're probably better off going top heavy. Sami would get manhandled on the top pairing, and Sbisa and Fowler have never looked good together. Sbisa is far too aggressive, and eager to move the puck, when he should defer to Fowler. Beauchemin and Fowler would probably spend more time covering for their partners than playing their game.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote