HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/27 game - is anyone listening?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 07:44 PM
cazzy

vCash: 500
Where to beginÖ..
Twelve hours of driving and one speeding ticket later and Iím still cranky about the game.

Mark this down in history because Polly-Anna cazzy is actually about to say something BAD about the Avs. I love the hard hits and fights in a game just like a lot of fans, but this WWF Smackdown in the desert was the responsibility of both coaches especially Granato. At one point in the game he had Worrell, McAllister, McCormick and Cummins out on the ice at the same time. I understand the anxiety behind wanting to make sure that your top two lines stay healthy all year and sending out a message but this is not the way to do it. And Murray was pulling the same thing. Why would he want to play Brennan, Avery and Flinn. Doesnít he already know what these midnight beer league wanna-bes bring to the table? Meanwhile Dustin Brown and Noah Clarke are shmoozing in the VIP lounge.
At least Granato was smart by not playing the STP line or Blake. I hope none of them were anywhere near the state of Nevada. Judging by what I witnessed, thereís no telling what any of the fans would have done if they saw Blake. Iím just glad there were metal detectors at the gates.
The whole Kings organization is just absolutely classless. From their fans, to the way they handle the whole Blake thing, down to the way their PA announcer mocked Peter Forsberg's name. I guess when Gretzky left he took all the classiness with him.

Even though the refs called a million penalties they did not have any control of this game at all. And whatís the deal with changing their mind on the delay of game penalty? The guy was in the box, the time was up on the scoreboard and then they changed their mind?? Cechmanek sent the puck over the glass and it did not hit anyone or anything on the way. Did they change this rule?

But the bottom line is the fact that Avery pulled the most despicable, cowardly, embarrassing, disgusting, pathetic thing there is to pull in hockey. As he and Forsberg were in the box yelling at each other Avery pointed at his stick and let Forsberg know that he was going to use it on him as soon as they got out. This is not a part of his job as an ďagitatorĒ this is just a cowardly act that doesnít belong in hockey. This is no better than the guys who would say things to Theo Fleury about his past to get him off his game. I guess once and Red Wing always a Red Wing.

I donít care about the three goals. Abby was amazing.

I agree with Jori on DJ Smith. However many penalties he wound up with, every one of them was a stupid one. He could have easily had two or three more but the refs either didnít see them or just got tired of calling them.

Highlights of the trip were listening to a Kings fan complain about it being cold in the arena and seeing Ziggy heading back to his room looking like something the cat dragged in at 5:30in the morning just as I was leaving.

It may not sound like it but I had a great time. I try to follow the rookies as far as my little paycheck will take me and they did NOT disappoint. even in this crazy game. Getting to see two penalty shots by rookies and watching Liles continue his solid play was worth enduring everything else.

So the odometer on the Avs-head-mobile that I started at the beginning of my vacation reads 2,978. One trip to Vegas, a trip to Ft Collins, a trip to Vail and a butt load of trips to the practice facility. Itís time to go back to work. Itís been a great journey. Getting to meet some fellow HF-ers and getting to see all the amazing things in rookie camp, camp and preseason has made it the best vacation ever.

PS to any King fans that might be trolling. I wonít be reading any of your replies

PSSÖI guess Iíll stoop to your levelÖ.

King-3 Avs-1 Ooooooooooo

Stanley Cups: Avs-2
Kings-zero

Old
09-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Sakic19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy
Where to beginÖ..
Twelve hours of driving and one speeding ticket later and Iím still cranky about the game.
Agreed with you on all accounts. Liles still looked great despite the lack of game flow. Neither coach was trying to hide the fact this was a fight, not a hockey game. And, those fans representing the franchise don't represent the rest of the hockey community very well.

There was an old woman behind me complaining about any Kings penalties. Everytime she did so, I made a very loud baby crying noise. The wife and I had great seats. About 15th row center ice behind the benches.

Oh, and that goalie problem we've had? There isn't one. Abby was freaking amazingly good. When did this happen? Looks like he's spent the offseason preparing for his new role.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy
Where to beginÖ..

Mark this down in history because Polly-Anna cazzy is actually about to say something BAD about the Avs. I love the hard hits and fights in a game just like a lot of fans, but this WWF Smackdown in the desert was the responsibility of both coaches especially Granato. At one point in the game he had Worrell, McAllister, McCormick and Cummins out on the ice at the same time. I understand the anxiety behind wanting to make sure that your top two lines stay healthy all year and sending out a message but this is not the way to do it. And Murray was pulling the same thing. Why would he want to play Brennan, Avery and Flinn. Doesnít he already know what these midnight beer league wanna-bes bring to the table? Meanwhile Dustin Brown and Noah Clarke are shmoozing in the VIP lounge.
At least Granato was smart by not playing the STP line or Blake. I hope none of them were anywhere near the state of Nevada. Judging by what I witnessed, thereís no telling what any of the fans would have done if they saw Blake. Iím just glad there were metal detectors at the gates.
The whole Kings organization is just absolutely classless. From their fans, to the way they handle the whole Blake thing, down to the way their PA announcer mocked Peter Forsberg's name. I guess when Gretzky left he took all the classiness with him.

Even though the refs called a million penalties they did not have any control of this game at all. And whatís the deal with changing their mind on the delay of game penalty? The guy was in the box, the time was up on the scoreboard and then they changed their mind?? Cechmanek sent the puck over the glass and it did not hit anyone or anything on the way. Did they change this rule?

But the bottom line is the fact that Avery pulled the most despicable, cowardly, embarrassing, disgusting, pathetic thing there is to pull in hockey. As he and Forsberg were in the box yelling at each other Avery pointed at his stick and let Forsberg know that he was going to use it on him as soon as they got out. This is not a part of his job as an ďagitatorĒ this is just a cowardly act that doesnít belong in hockey. This is no better than the guys who would say things to Theo Fleury about his past to get him off his game. I guess once and Red Wing always a Red Wing.

I donít care about the three goals. Abby was amazing.

I agree with Jori on DJ Smith. However many penalties he wound up with, every one of them was a stupid one. He could have easily had two or three more but the refs either didnít see them or just got tired of calling them.

Highlights of the trip were listening to a Kings fan complain about it being cold in the arena and seeing Ziggy heading back to his room looking like something the cat dragged in at 5:30in the morning just as I was leaving.

It may not sound like it but I had a great time. I try to follow the rookies as far as my little paycheck will take me and they did NOT disappoint. even in this crazy game. Getting to see two penalty shots by rookies and watching Liles continue his solid play was worth enduring everything else.

So the odometer on the Avs-head-mobile that I started at the beginning of my vacation reads 2,978. One trip to Vegas, a trip to Ft Collins, a trip to Vail and a butt load of trips to the practice facility. Itís time to go back to work. Itís been a great journey. Getting to meet some fellow HF-ers and getting to see all the amazing things in rookie camp, camp and preseason has made it the best vacation ever.

PS to any King fans that might be trolling. I wonít be reading any of your replies

PSSÖI guess Iíll stoop to your levelÖ.

King-3 Avs-1 Ooooooooooo

Stanley Cups: Avs-2
Kings-zero
That sucks about the Speeding ticket. First off the PA Announcer is not the regular Kings PA Announcer. That was the PA announcer of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Kings usual PA Announcer David Courtney also does the Anahiem Angels Games. And the Dodger PA announcer sucked I agree he didn't know anything. He was switching things all around.

The person complaining about it being cold in the Arena could be the stupidest thing I've heard. The game is played on Ice it isn't supposed to be warm. Stupid Kings fan.

Abby was amazing I agree there. He kept it close IMO.

First off I believe the Avs send their lineup to the Kings first so when Murray sees Cummins Worrell McAllister he has to put in Flinn and Brennan just in the case that someone starts something. So blame your own coach before you put any fault on the Kings. And Avery he has playing on the checking line and not as an enforcer. Think of it this way. If Worrell and Cummins sit then Brown probably gets in and only Flinn and or Brennan play. Murray actaully told Flinn not to fight tonight. And I heard that from Flinn himself.

As for this
"Even though the refs called a million penalties they did not have any control of this game at all. And whatís the deal with changing their mind on the delay of game penalty? The guy was in the box, the time was up on the scoreboard and then they changed their mind?? Cechmanek sent the puck over the glass and it did not hit anyone or anything on the way. Did they change this rule?"
You had to end up paying real close attention on that play or you totally miss what happened. It took me about 5 minutes to figure it out. If you notice on that play Smithson was given a Penalty before Cechmanek flipped the puck over the glass. So When Cechmanek touched the puck the play was blown dead. So considering Smithson had a penalty call against him Cechmanek handling the puck was control of the puck therefore that never happened. Right call by the Officails.

And last this bugs me right here.

How can you make a broad generlization about an organiztion that you only have seen or been around for 1 or 2 days max. Just what you see and hear on the TV can not make you say anything about another organization. Then could I say about the fans that all of them are stupid and are loud based on the 4 drunk Avalanche fans that wouldn't shut up about their offense yesterday(Yada Yada I know Sakic Kariya and Selanne didn't play) or could I say that basically you guys are all bandwagoners considering Colorado had a team in the 70's and they are now in New Jersey with 3 cups and you guys needed a transplant team from Quebec that was already loaded. No. I see people on this board and see there is knowledge. Look around and not just at 2 days. I saw Blake yesterday did I want to run and do something to him. No. I've met the man many times off the Ice and he is a very nice guy. The reason he is booed in LA was some of his conduct. He ripped the C of his chest in the preseason when he wasn't happy with a contract offer he was given. He had to be persuaded by Andy Murray to put the C back on his Chest. That and related that he said he was going to test the Free Agent market and then Resigned the night before didn't help him either. Robitaille left after the season is he getting Booed No he isn't Why. He didn't make any of his contract meetings public til he signed with Detroit and did he rip the A of his sweater. No he kept the A on. And I already covered about the PA Announcer.

Please Open your eyes first.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19
There was an old woman behind me complaining about any Kings penalties. Everytime she did so, I made a very loud baby crying noise. The wife and I had great seats. About 15th row center ice behind the benches.
You were sitting Close to me. I was behind the Avs Bench row X in U13.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
And last this bugs me right here.

From my experiences, I agree with Cazzy. At the game 7 in 2001 there were 4 Kings fans sitting behind me being completely obnoxious. They were talking trash saying things like the whole state of Colorado sucks and went as far as mocking John Elway (eventhough it was a hockey game they were attending). At one point one of the guys was chanting "rednecks" at the Avs fans in my section. Then I went to the Vegas game last year and basically had the same experience as Cazzy (walking away thinking that all Kings fans are classless a-holes). At the Kings game this past season when Forsberg scored the hat trick there was a Kings fan in front of me being very rude and ended up punching an Avs fan that appeared to be at least 7 years younger than him (the Kings fan looked to be early 20's and was drinking beer so he had no business hitting a junior high kid).

I'm sure there are classy Kings fans out there, but you guys certainly seem to have a whole lot fans out there making that unimaginable. My experiences with Kings fans cover over 10 games and two states and I think that Kings fans ,as a whole, are classless. I don't think Cazzy made such a broad generalization.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
I'm sure there are classy Kings fans out there, but you guys certainly seem to have a whole lot fans out there making that unimaginable. My experiences with Kings fans cover over 10 games and two states and I think that Kings fans ,as a whole, are classless. I don't think Cazzy made such a broad generalization.
I think you are making an inaccurate blanket statement. I am an Avs fan living in L.A., and the times I've seen games here, I've only noticed that the fans are more passionate than they are at Lakers or Dodgers games. Never had a problem with anyone.

Even the playoff game I went to 2 years ago wearing my Avs cap was a pleasant experience, no one gave me too hard a time, everyone was rooting on their team, and the building was electric. And the fans are pretty knowledgable. It's not like going to a Wild game, but considering this is L.A., not shabby at all.

That being said, I am sure there are obnoxious fans, maybe a lot of them, but what do you expect from a place as large as L.A.? Hopefully y'all won't judge all Kings fans because of a few bad apples, it's not really the way things are from everything I've seen.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:32 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
From my experiences, I agree with Cazzy. At the game 7 in 2001 there were 4 Kings fans sitting behind me being completely obnoxious. They were talking trash saying things like the whole state of Colorado sucks and went as far as mocking John Elway (eventhough it was a hockey game they were attending). At one point one of the guys was chanting "rednecks" at the Avs fans in my section. Then I went to the Vegas game last year and basically had the same experience as Cazzy (walking away thinking that all Kings fans are classless a-holes). At the Kings game this past season when Forsberg scored the hat trick there was a Kings fan in front of me being very rude and ended up punching an Avs fan that appeared to be at least 7 years younger than him (the Kings fan looked to be early 20's and was drinking beer so he had no business hitting a junior high kid).

I attended my first Kings game at game five in the forum when Edmonton eliminated LA (Ironically at the hands of the Great One). Back then the Kings in their horrid color scheme had a knowledgable dedicated fan base, if a bit rowdy. Back then the Dodgers were doing very well as were the Raiders and Lakers. Because of this I would guess there was less of a bandwagon attendance. Sure there was still a segment of celeberty watching etc, but the King fans seemed great to me at the time (10 years old I think I was). After the LA Kings made it to the finals things changed in the fanbase that attended the Forum. As with all NHL clubs, tickets got more expensive and the attendees changed. It got better after Greztky moved and they had a bad season or two, but then the Kings eliminated Detroit in the first round and they got popular again. I know for a fact that there are some really great, die hard Kings fans that follow the club without the Oakland Raider fan mentality. Non-myopic fans who love the sport, not just the popularity. Then again, because of the population base and the new risen popularity of the franchise there's a pretty ugly segment that is often associated with the Lakers or back when the Raiders were winning football games in LA. I think it's just natural of all sports teams, it just gets overblown when the city of said teams contain like 10 million people. The potential for braggarts is much higher, the potential for game attendees gets to be much more about who you know, rather than are you a fan. I don't begrudge any King fans and I simply ignore those that are fans of convenience with little knowledge of the game. I wouldn't draw conclusions about everyone from that instance. I certainly can appreciate your frustration however.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Laperriere22*

There's one sub-group of Kings fans I could do without. That group is the one comprised of people that, for some reason, aren't repulsed by Matt Johnson's actions in ruining Jeff Beukeboom's career. I've read more than a few that have found some sort of humor or irony or whatever word they would use for it in that act. It was, and still is, one of the most gutless plays I've ever seen in the sport of hockey. And yet, every so often, I come across a Kings fan that talks up that play to be more than just an act of cowardice. I could really do without that group of Kings fans and I don't care how large or small that group is.

Beyond that, I wish people would stop assuming I'm a Kings fan. Otherwise, fans are fans. Most of them suck and team allegiance doesn't matter in terms of how much they suck.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Thats good to know that I am classless. I guess I should goto a Dodger game and sit there and watch the Beach Ball and try not to get shot by a Giants Fan.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Thats good to know that I am classless. I guess I should goto a Dodger game and sit there and watch the Beach Ball and try not to get shot by a Giants Fan.
Look at all this confusion. The dude that got shot a few weeks ago was a Giants fan.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6879906.htm

And it really is funny to go to a game at Dodgers Stadium, there's not a whole lot of passion there. But a lot of beachballs! I'd have to say the most on-the-ball fans in LA are the Kings fans.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Oh yea, that was Forsberg's 1st career fighting major too
Really? He was on the ice for the game against Detroit in 1997. He fought with Igor. I thought for sure he got one in that game.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner
Really? He was on the ice for the game against Detroit in 1997. He fought with Igor. I thought for sure he got one in that game.
McCarty didn't even get a fighting major for the work he did on Lemieux. That's why the Avs were so irate when he scored the OT goal, because he should have had 3 fighting majors and an automatic ejection. Most of the players on the ice didn't get fighting majors during that brawl which was really weird. Most players got double minors for roughing and/or 10 min misconducts.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Look at all this confusion. The dude that got shot a few weeks ago was a Giants fan.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6879906.htm

And it really is funny to go to a game at Dodgers Stadium, there's not a whole lot of passion there. But a lot of beachballs! I'd have to say the most on-the-ball fans in LA are the Kings fans.
See I have heard both that it was a Dodger Fan shooting a Giant fan and I've heard it the other way around.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
McCarty didn't even get a fighting major for the work he did on Lemieux. That's why the Avs were so irate when he scored the OT goal, because he should have had 3 fighting majors and an automatic ejection. Most of the players on the ice didn't get fighting majors during that brawl which was really weird. Most players got double minors for roughing and/or 10 min misconducts.
I've never understood why McCarty became such a hero for what he did to Lemieux. Sure he got the better of Claude, but he basically jumped him from behind. Usually when someone attacks an unsuspecting person from behind they aren't celebrated for it. In my mind, neither McCarty nor Lemieux acted like men during that fateful "fight". Claude could have at least stood up and thrown a few punches, even if he still "lost". It is even more sickening that McCarty wasn't thrown out and eventually scored the OT winner. That changed both teams' seasons around. Mike Keane was certainly right, Detroit was gutless that night, for myriad reasons.

Also, Forsberg and Larionov were mostly wrestling before all hell broke loose that game. Neither player, IIRC, received a fighting major, just roughing minors. I think Saturday was Foppa's first 5 minutes for fighting (congrats Peter, now never do that again!) There was a Sports Illustrated article, from I think late 1996 or early 1997, about the dynamic duo of Sakic and Forsberg. I don't remember the context, but Peter was quoted as saying that he would "get his ass kicked" if he ever dropped the gloves. It was a pretty good article, I'm going to have to hunt for it.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
I've never understood why McCarty became such a hero for what he did to Lemieux. Sure he got the better of Claude, but he basically jumped him from behind. Usually when someone attacks an unsuspecting person from behind they aren't celebrated for it. In my mind, neither McCarty nor Lemieux acted like men during that fateful "fight". Claude could have at least stood up and thrown a few punches, even if he still "lost". It is even more sickening that McCarty wasn't thrown out and eventually scored the OT winner. That changed both teams' seasons around. Mike Keane was certainly right, Detroit was gutless that night, for myriad reasons.
I agree completely. What's sickening to me is how he dragged Lemieux over to the boards and kneed him in the face and never got a major for that. That's why there was so much blood on the Big Boy advertisement.

Closed Thread