HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So with all those Swedes on the team...

Old
09-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
I guess one of the points I'm trying to make is this:

How many Swedes would have Detroit Red Wings as their favorit team with no Swedish players in the team?

Answer: Probably not many

Question: Are you really a fan of Detroit Red Wings if you only like it because of the Swedes?

Personally I think it's ok liking a specific team because of the Swedes, I do, ;-) but does it make you a real long term fan of the team, probably not?

I can understand some real fans here getting tired of all the bandwagoners.

Having said this, many people from the Nordic countries may actually have strong reasons for having a specific favorit NHL team. ;-)

Talking about Sweden where I come from, about 1,3 million of Swedes moved to North America at the end of 1800 century and beginning of 1900 century.

About 20% of all emigrants moved back to Sweden thus bringing a lot of American culture and influences to Sweden over the years (Sweden is still very influenced by USA).

Minnesota is the state with by far the largest population of Swedish ancestry, 9.6% of the entire population year 2005. At the 1990 U.S. population count recorded no less than 4.7 million Americans Swedish descendants.
Did you spend 2 days on wikipedia for this second post to me?
Jokes a side, the history you posted is not news to me. And tbh it's not really relevant to spin further on that wheel.

Let's turn the table, what criterias do YOU think a fan must fulfill to call him/herself a club/team supporter?

I'm sorry but I interpret your posts as you are the classic "I have more right than you to cheer for this team, stop cheering for MY team"-guy.
It's not meant as an insult or anything. Please prove me wrong - GO

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Fandom is arbitrary from birth. I was born in Michigan so here I am.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
RedWinger10

I'd be fine with only 8 Swedish players. Wings should look to dump Sammy ASAP. Even if its for a deep pick.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I'd be fine with only 8 Swedish players. Wings should look to dump Sammy ASAP. Even if its for a deep pick.
Alas, Sammy has a NTC. He'd have to agree and considering guys like Morrow are still out there, I doubt Sammy is all that appealing at more salary and giving up compensation.

I always argued the best part of Sammy's deal was it was 2 years. I still think he can contribute this season, sort of like how Cleary did in the most recent playoffs, and then we can walk the dusty trail that Cleary is currently strolling down as we speak.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

I heard Obama is in Sweden now to, amongst other things, renegotiate Samuelssons terrible contract

Uno Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I always argued the best part of Sammy's deal was it was 2 years.
Which is one reason you've always been wrong with Sammy's contract. The best thing about Sammy's contract being 2 years is that it wasn't three years or four years.
Ideally, I t should havve been 1 year or, even better, zero years.

Hopefully the end of the upcoming season marks the end of the TrashHeap 2.0 era of Ken Holland's career.

And we say say good bye to 2nd-Go-Around players like Bertuzzi, Quincey and Samuelsson

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Which is one reason you've always been wrong with Sammy's contract. The best thing about Sammy's contract being 2 years is that it wasn't three years or four years.
Ideally, I t should havve been 1 year or, even better, zero years.

Hopefully the end of the upcoming season marks the end of the TrashHeap 2.0 era of Ken Holland's career.

And we say say good bye to 2nd-Go-Around players like Bertuzzi, Quincey and Samuelsson
Don't bet on us saying goodbye to Quincey.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Hope we do, though. We have so many kids coming up through the ranks, and Q really isn't overly special. Good stop gap, but to build around for the next four or five years? Ugh.

I also wonder if re-signing Q will be tied to re-signing Ericsson. If we lock E up, it makes Q far more expendable heading into the summer. If we can't get Ericsson to sign, I can see Quincey inked just for insurance.

09-04-2013, 10:26 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Hope we do, though. We have so many kids coming up through the ranks, and Q really isn't overly special. Good stop gap, but to build around for the next four or five years? Ugh.

I also wonder if re-signing Q will be tied to re-signing Ericsson. If we lock E up, it makes Q far more expendable heading into the summer. If we can't get Ericsson to sign, I can see Quincey inked just for insurance.
That's what I'm thinking. Either way, I don't see Q as getting a long-term deal out of Holland. I predict if he's re-signed it's for two years, max.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
My guess is that Holland is going to do something to get us a naturally physical, defensive defenseman.
It's the one thing our D really lacks. We have plenty of speed and puck moving ability

Old
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Which is one reason you've always been wrong with Sammy's contract.
It's relative to the other contracts handed out that year. Namely, Hudler at 4 years.

I prefer even a LTIR Sammy than a playing Hudler, because I don't want Hudler clogging the top 6 over the next few years. Besides, the team ended up with Alfie anyway, so that stopgap was fixed. Excellent happenstance that leaves things wide open for Tatar and Nyquist to establish themselves in the 16+ minute range next season, barring no big UFA signing in 2014.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
My guess is that Holland is going to do something to get us a naturally physical, defensive defenseman.
It's the one thing our D really lacks. We have plenty of speed and puck moving ability
Emelin
Seidenberg
Girardi
Phaneuf
Orpik

Next year's UFAs that would fit the bill. I think the first 4 are going to be re-signed. Orpik might hit the market but he's been regressing the past 2 years and would be more of a stopgap. But Wings don't really have naturally physical Dman in pipeline that would be expected to play in top 4 within 2-3 years imo. Maybe Marchenko depending how his game adapts.

So trade route seems like the best (only) option.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Would kill for Emelin in a Wings jersey.

Girardi's negotiations are going to be tough, think they hold onto him, but that is far from certain given the logjam in New York.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
It's relative to the other contracts handed out that year. Namely, Hudler at 4 years.

I prefer even a LTIR Sammy than a playing Hudler, because I don't want Hudler clogging the top 6 over the next few years. Besides, the team ended up with Alfie anyway, so that stopgap was fixed. Excellent happenstance that leaves things wide open for Tatar and Nyquist to establish themselves in the 16+ minute range next season, barring no big UFA signing in 2014.
Ah. Well I think you are even wronger now.

Who cares about Hudler and 4 years. If for some reason we didn't need Hudler after two years, he's a 20-goal/50-point guy who is still young and tradeable.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:52 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:

Who cares about Hudler and 4 years. If for some reason we didn't need Hudler after two years, he's a 20-goal/50-point guy who is still young and tradeable.
And soft with a questionable work ethic.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
JPE123

Quote:
Fandom is arbitrary from birth. I was born in Michigan so here I am.

I would say most of the time that's true but in my case I was born in Chicago and was a big Hawks fan for years. I moved to Michigan in 1994 and fell in love with the Wings and the Joe. Never looked back and now I'm back in Chicago but still Wings fan. Something about Detroit hockey.

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
I would say most of the time that's true but in my case I was born in Chicago and was a big Hawks fan for years. I moved to Michigan in 1994 and fell in love with the Wings and the Joe. Never looked back and now I'm back in Chicago but still Wings fan. Something about Detroit hockey.
According to some posters here, you are not a 'true' DRW fan and you are a bandwagon Hawks fan for leaving the team for the simple reason of relocating.
I.E "Not worthy".

Obviously I don't agree with them, but I can imagine you wont be the most popular kid @ the party if you open with "I was a big Hawks fan"

Old
09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Swed Wings View Post
Did you spend 2 days on wikipedia for this second post to me?
Jokes a side, the history you posted is not news to me. And tbh it's not really relevant to spin further on that wheel.

Let's turn the table, what criterias do YOU think a fan must fulfill to call him/herself a club/team supporter?

I'm sorry but I interpret your posts as you are the classic "I have more right than you to cheer for this team, stop cheering for MY team"-guy.
It's not meant as an insult or anything. Please prove me wrong - GO
I didn't have the exact numbers of American people of Swedish ancestry in my head, no, of course there are better sources than Wikipedia. I don't understand the problem though? 2 days, maybe for you, I'm a computer professional. ;-)

I'm a little bit split on this subject and it's sensitive because generalization always stirs up emotions.

- For me personally it's ok to be a fan for almost any reason.

- But... I can really understand irritation among "real" long term die hard fans when a lot of us mostly care about our Swedes and not so much (or nothing) about the team long term?

Example: How many Swedes continued following Colorado Avalanche when Forsberg left? Answer: Not many, that's for sure. I didn't either but follow them more closely now because another favorit Swede of mine is playing for them, Landeskog.

This is not rocket science, I'm just stating a fact, a truth among the majority of European NHL fans, not all, but the majority.

and I would love leaving this subject, all I want is the last word. ;-)

Last edited by 21: 09-05-2013 at 10:20 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:

If he's young and productive, what are the odds he'd get traded by Holland?

There you go.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
I'm saying you're as much a fan as anybody else. It doesn't matter where you're from. It's arbitrary. Fans are fans. I'm a fan because I was born in Michigan, which is totally random, and doesn't make me any more or less a fan than anybody else. It was pure luck, which has no weight over somebody just liking the team later in life.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:05 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
If he's young and productive, what are the odds he'd get traded by Holland?

There you go.
For that matter, how many players does Holland trade, productive or not?

Old
09-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Zathronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Would kill for Emelin in a Wings jersey.

Girardi's negotiations are going to be tough, think they hold onto him, but that is far from certain given the logjam in New York.
Sorry, not going to happen.

Habs fans

Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
For that matter, how many players does Holland trade, productive or not?
Last one was stuart and before that?????????

Chance on Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Now that Holland looks hellbent to turn the Red Wings to the Blue and Yellow wings, (don't know if its an overcompentation for the loss of Lidström), Detroit is set to get a lot of attention in Swedish media next season.

I wonder if we're going to see a lot of Swedish hockey fans on the Detroit forum here because of that.

Detroit Red Wings do have two Michigan boys on the team, I think it's good that they do, it's a Michigan team after all. Although Abby might be getting more minutes than he deserves if his really going to play on the first line.

What do you fans from Michigan/(or the US at least) think, does it matter were the players comes from or is it just the principle of best available players that's matter?

I dont do this often but read just a few posts on this and moved back to op questiong here.

Michigan grew up 28 years. Is great to get a hometown kid from wmu or michigan etc.. who grew up a wing

However I like whoever detroit gets and dont really care nationality etc..

I am happy to see more and more guys from other countries canada and europe stay in the united states and become coaches and have children etc.. This is good for US hockey which I would like to continue growing etc.. I think is very important to hockey.

If was asked who the swedes are on our team could name a few but not all of them probably. I do know the stars where they are from and basically just accept the other players and once they get over here to ahl unless looking up stats or something in a debate will not go back to find out they played in say sweden or russia lol.

Without looking at the stars in todays game can not name the us or canadian olympic hopefuls 100% I figure would have to guess at some and be wrong

Good news is worldwide and US hockey seems to be growing This can only be a good thing for the game!!

WANTING TO ADD. When was travling etc.. went to many arenas actually and even two that were in seasons they won the cup. Was more redwings shirts than the home teams for those games. I dont think the wings get a lot of bandwaggoners like other teams. The blackhawks would be a case in point their numbers have shot through the roof of fans since their recent wins. People coming out of the woodwork.

I dont care if you like a few teams or players or your a semi hockey lover a fan is there ups and downs good and bad. That is a good fan. Everyone deserves to be the fan of their choice. I think Detroit has some of the most loyal fans in the world. I also think they are up there with everyone on fans. I truly believe wing fans have been fans for many many years. Through the thick and thin winning all the time for 22 years help and the history.

I see teams like chicago have a huge spike of people talking etc.. and am like ok whatever. Yet whatever type of fan you are that is your god given right. I really havent met a lot of people in my lifetime who ever told me they were a wing fan who moved or did anything that made them a fan somewhere else more ever. That is a testament to what this franchise is and is very cool.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 09-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.
robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
I didn't have the exact numbers of American people of Swedish ancestry in my head, no, of course there are better sources than Wikipedia. I don't understand the problem though? 2 days, maybe for you, I'm a computer professional. ;-)

I'm a little bit split on this subject and it's sensitive because generalization always stirs up emotions.

- For me personally it's ok to be a fan for almost any reason.

- But... I can really understand irritation among "real" long term die hard fans when a lot of us mostly care about our Swedes and not so much (or nothing) about the team long term?

Example: How many Swedes continued following Colorado Avalanche when Forsberg left? Answer: Not many, that's for sure. I didn't either but follow them more closely now because another favorit Swede of mine is playing for them, Landeskog.

This is not rocket science, I'm just stating a fact, a truth among the majority of European NHL fans, not all, but the majority.

and I would love leaving this subject, all I want is the last word. ;-)
Not a problem, but obviously I was referring to the 2 day later reply and I pointed out it was a joke, Mr. Hax0r

It's an interesting subject, I agree, hence me discussing it. My "problem" is that so many fans act like they deserve to cheer for a team more than others.
As someone pointed out earlier, there are many types of 'fandom'.

What I think (could be wrong) is the most frustrating to you is the fans that cheer for a team in upswing and at the same time acts like they always did,
when they obviously didn't and doesn't have a clue about the 'hardcore-parts' of the time, like prospects/office etc.

My point is that every fan is not like that.

Some just cheer for a team for the entertaiment and what is the harm in that.

Your Forsberg example is leading me to believe that, you are emotionally dissapointed that others stop following Colorado and at the same time you think you are the bigger fan - for staying - deserving more "fan-cred points".
But you also said you stopped following them for a while, which is actually arguing yourself.

You are not stating any fact, you are just spinning around on nonsense.
You are the fan-type you despise