HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Tarasenko fitter, hungry and ready to go

Old
08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
The Blues hardly have any 60 point players and someone is expecting a 20-year old kid to do it? Lol. Lower your expectations dude.
First off, he'll be 22 in December. Secondly, that kid produced offense on par with Malkin and Kovalchuk two years ago in the KHL.

The Blues have no one with his offensive pedigree.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
The Blues hardly have any 60 point players and someone is expecting a 20-year old kid to do it? Lol. Lower your expectations dude.
I'm just saying based on all the hype, and based on who he has been ranked above on prospect lists that he should be able to produce a little more than that. I thought this guy was the next big thing, not another perron or berglund 40-50 point player.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Kasparov

vCash: 500
Quote:
the kid is an offensive dynamo. it's certainly not out of the question. Probable? not likely, but the potential is there.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Boy poor ole frank went from Jesus on skates one off season to barely able to crack 50 points the next didn't he??

I'm excited to see what Tarasenko brings to the table this year. Even with the improved conditioning I could still see him fading as the season goes a long. It's a big jump going from ~50 games with an easier travel schedule to ~82 with a tougher one. I don't know if one off season is enough to get over the hump or not. It very well could be, but if it's not I'm not that concerned about it. The kid seems to have a great attitude and is willing to put the work in so he will get to where he needs to be conditioning wise to be a consistent scoring threat before too much longer.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Kreegz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
It's a big jump going from ~50 games with an easier travel schedule to ~82 with a tougher one.
He played nearly 80 games between the KHL and the NHL last year, and sustained 2 concussions that caused him to miss some time as well. Also the travel in Russia is just as demanding and he has been playing at a professional level since 2008. I think he has learned how to deal with travel at this point.

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
SteenMachine

He still has the benefit of not being on most opposing coaches' radar for defensive assignments so maybe he'll have another hot start and force his way into permanent top 6 minutes. The season is just too long to predict how it'll turn out considering his linemates and ice time could change drastically if Hitch decides to use him on LW as well.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:22 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
Every year we hear about someone who could have a breakout season. Sure would be nice if someone did one of these years.
Heh.

I remember when it was EJ, Osh, Bergy, Perron.... We gotta strike at least one of these times right?

Nothing against any of those guys (except maybe EJ) but dangit the Blues overrate their prospects or something.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:31 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
Heh.

I remember when it was EJ, Osh, Bergy, Perron.... We gotta strike at least one of these times right?

Nothing against any of those guys (except maybe EJ) but dangit the Blues overrate their prospects or something.
Alex Pietrangelo?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegz2 View Post
He played nearly 80 games between the KHL and the NHL last year, and sustained 2 concussions that caused him to miss some time as well. Also the travel in Russia is just as demanding and he has been playing at a professional level since 2008. I think he has learned how to deal with travel at this point.
He had 1 concussion. He played 70 games last season, and 69 in 2011/12.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:13 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Heh.

The Blues overrate their prospects or Blues fans overrate their prospects? To me, it's more of the latter.

Bergy, Oshie and Perron have developed pretty much exactly as they were expected to. EJ's a different story but who knows how he would've turned out without blowing out his knee.

I would say that the Blues shouldn't have hyped their rookies so much years ago but they actually turned out as expected. The problem is that fans bought into the hype TOO MUCH and all of a sudden, the perception in fans' heads were that we had future superstars on our hands instead of future "good" players.

In regards to Tarasenko specifically, he has higher potential than Oshie, Bergy & Perron but he's also not guaranteed to reach it. I think he's going to be a very good player in this league but I would guess that he would be more likely to break out next season than this season.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:51 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

come on guys, we aren't overrating our kids more than other fanbases.
everyone just focusses on his own teams prospects and thats why freaking everyone is overrating this kids.
and yes, everyone likes the imagination of some "breakout seasons" that hardly happen as expected but thats more a product of the media and off-season madness. thats not a Blues thing and not even a hockey thing, just human beeing.

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Turning into regular top 6 NHL players (Oshie, Perron) and you can argue Berglund as a fringe top 6....probably 2nd line on a lot of teams, that's a good track record for late first round picks. But we all hoped that there might be lightning in a bottle with one of those guys turning into an all-star caliber player.

On the Blues right now, I think there's Pietro (whose virtually already at that level) and Tarasenko. I believe Schwartz has a chance, but he's more likely to be comparable to Oshie in terms of his standing against the league's elite. He'll be valuable to the Blues, but not a superstar. Hey, whatever formula gets the Cup to St Louis, I'm on board. They don't necessarily have to have one of those guys become a superstar....but I do think one or two of those guys have to have a 'beast-mode' post-season at the right time. It wouldn't hurt to have a healthy starting goalie.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 02:41 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
The Blues overrate their prospects or Blues fans overrate their prospects? To me, it's more of the latter.

Bergy, Oshie and Perron have developed pretty much exactly as they were expected to. EJ's a different story but who knows how he would've turned out without blowing out his knee.

I would say that the Blues shouldn't have hyped their rookies so much years ago but they actually turned out as expected. The problem is that fans bought into the hype TOO MUCH and all of a sudden, the perception in fans' heads were that we had future superstars on our hands instead of future "good" players.

In regards to Tarasenko specifically, he has higher potential than Oshie, Bergy & Perron but he's also not guaranteed to reach it. I think he's going to be a very good player in this league but I would guess that he would be more likely to break out next season than this season.
I don't know if Berglund or Perron turned out to be who they were expected to. I guess it depends on who you talk to but Berglund was hyped up like crazy, I remember the Sundin comparisons. And Perron was also talked about as potentially being a 70-point guy.

All turned out to be fine players so maybe some fans just took it too far.

But I agree with the post above. We need some of these guys to start stepping up in the playoffs big time. None of them have been more than average really.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:31 PM
jarmoismyhero

Sounds like he is going to get good PP time and a real top 6 role which is what I really was hoping for. I just hope a slow start or a tough stretch of games does not put him on the third line playing 13 minutes a night. Same thing with Schwartz. Need to give these 2 guys some real minutes in the offensive zone with talent around them.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
and i'm gonna rewatch highlights of that first detroit game where tarasenko made quincey look like an amateur.
This.
I got so ****ing pumped when I saw it live. Unbelievable.

Keep Your Head Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Keep your head up Tarasenko!
Yep. Very important adjustment for him to make if he wants to play a lenghty career.

Keep Your Head Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
oPlaiD

Some Blues fans seem to have this weird idea about overrating our prospects because ten and twenty years ago our best "prospects" were guys that barely deserved the label.

The local media would still write articles boosting them when they were called up, so when they inevitably disappointed the fans became jaded.

Now we have guys like Tarasenko who was legitimately a top 5 prospect in all of hockey. That's a far cry from the Petr Sejnas of the past.

It's the same with Cards fans - some of them thought Anthony Reyes was supposed to be this amazing ace and like to compare him to the current pitching crop whenever Shelby Miller allows a couple runs, but its really comparing apples to oranges.

It WILL be a disappointment if Tarasenko is only a 50 point player, because he's finally a guy we can expect to be more than that, and that's different from anything we've had in the past.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Quaz

I agree with those of you that say every fan base over-hypes their prospects to some degree. It would be nice if Tarasenko, Schwartz, Jaskin, or Rattie develop into an All Star caliber forward. It still pains me to think that they passed on drafting Couture. Could you imagine if the Blues had gone off the board and picked Toews instead of EJ and had picked Couture instead of trading down? Such is life for a Blues fan!!

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
stlbluz

Here's a good read.

Blues' Tarasenko Calls Rookie Season 'Average'

MOSCOW, August 26 (R-Sport) – Russian hockey forward Vladimir Tarasenko offered a restrained evaluation of his rookie NHL season with St. Louis Blues Monday, telling R-Sport the campaign was “good, but average.”

The 21-year-old was drafted 16th overall by the Blues in 2010 and split two seasons with Sibir Novosibirsk and SKA St. Petersburg before leaving the KHL for St. Louis.

In the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, he scored eight goals and 11 assists in 38 appearances, earning Rookie of the Month honors in January after leading all rookies with nine points. But Tarasenko missed 10 games after suffering concussion on February 20 and netted only two goals the rest of the season after returning to action on March 16.

Speaking in Sochi after Russia’s two-day Olympic national team orientation camp, Tarasenko said his numbers were partly a result of the injury and a questionable work ethic and attitude last season on the road to recovery. He vowed to improve.

“I’ll try to do better this season. My self-requirements have increased,” he said. “Because of my youth I didn’t really know how to condition myself and how to prioritize. Now I’ve got an understanding after talking to guys like [former New Jersey Devils star] Ilya Kovalchuk that you have to take care of yourself and prepare hard.”

Tarasenko played 31 games with SKA during the lockout – alongside Kovalchuk, who retired from the NHL to join SKA in July – registering 14 goals and 18 assists for 32 points.

The 6-foot, 219-pound Tarasenko said he has ramped up his preseason workout routine in preparation for his first full NHL season. “The amount of work I do has changed; it’s become so much more,” he said.

stlbluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:20 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Alex Pietrangelo?
He has never been in the category of "Will have a breakout season !/?" Ergo, he doesn't count here. He has been solid from day 1.

Quote:

I dont think Bergs, Osh, and Perron have developed as expected by Blues fans. The general concensus with them is that they would be top-line players within a few years. Well... none of them are consistent top-line players.

Maybe you are right and the Blues hyped them too much and the fans bought it. Thats a good point!

I haven't seen any reason to give Tarasenko more hype nor have I seen this potential that everyone talks about. I hope I eat crow but until he can prove it on NHL ice in NHL games hes just another ho-hum 'lets hope he turns out to be something' prospect.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Oshie97

Blues need a consistent scorer for a change. Stewy and Tarasanko have the best shot at being it, just hope one of them can put us over the top.

Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:47 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
He has never been in the category of "Will have a breakout season !/?" Ergo, he doesn't count here. He has been solid from day 1.

I dont think Bergs, Osh, and Perron have developed as expected by Blues fans. The general concensus with them is that they would be top-line players within a few years. Well... none of them are consistent top-line players.

Maybe you are right and the Blues hyped them too much and the fans bought it. Thats a good point!

I haven't seen any reason to give Tarasenko more hype nor have I seen this potential that everyone talks about. I hope I eat crow but until he can prove it on NHL ice in NHL games hes just another ho-hum 'lets hope he turns out to be something' prospect.
That's the point I'm trying to make here - that I think it's the fans that overhyped those guys more than the Blues themselves. No scout in their right mind ever projected those 3 to be top line guys. All were described as having "top-6" potential and top-6 is a nice way of saying a 2nd liner. To me, they developed pretty much exactly as they were expected to...but that's just me.

Tarasenko though HAS been projected as a top line caliber player though. I would personally be disappointed if Tarasenko topped out at the same level as Oshie, Perron and Bergy. It might not be yet this season but I eventully think Tarasenko will be better than those 3.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The only players that we have drafted with actual projections to be top pairing or 1st line material have been Johnson, Pietrangelo, and Tarasenko. I think Schwartz is kind of in-between that group and the Oshie, Perron, Eller, and Berglund group.

So far, Blues scouting has been about spot on, but like mentioned earlier, Blues fans had higher expectations because we didn't have any legit prospects before them for what seemed like forever.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
That's the point I'm trying to make here - that I think it's the fans that overhyped those guys more than the Blues themselves. No scout in their right mind ever projected those 3 to be top line guys. All were described as having "top-6" potential and top-6 is a nice way of saying a 2nd liner. To me, they developed pretty much exactly as they were expected to...but that's just me.

Tarasenko though HAS been projected as a top line caliber player though. I would personally be disappointed if Tarasenko topped out at the same level as Oshie, Perron and Bergy. It might not be yet this season but I eventully think Tarasenko will be better than those 3.
I hope so! If not I don't see him lasting long here either. Or just becoming a trade-chip.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:

Well the other thing Blues fans hadn't seen in a while is a player with some good hands that could actually hit the net. It was shocking to see a guy like Oshie and Perron dangle past people and actually hold onto the puck without eating the boards. I think people's minds just take that and run, and then you suddenly realize those moves only work so often and on certain teams. Then when the team is forced to actually set up one-timers and feed the slot they choke on short passes and puck handling... and eventually we see why a guy like Perron gets stuck on someone's 2nd line for most of his career.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote