HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Forsberg vs Crosby

View Poll Results: Forsberg vs Crosby. Who was better?
Forsberg 78 40.21%
Crosby 116 59.79%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2013, 11:29 AM
  #76
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!
 
dr robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Forsberg was one of my favorite players growing up, but he was never "the guy". There were always better players than him. Crosby is the best and has been the best for a couple years. I personally don't think that the talent in hockey has decreased, so I would have to assume that Crosby is better than Forsberg.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
  #77
hawkman
3 Cups in 6 years
 
hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
231 Michael Bullard C 1980-1981 1991-1992 727 329 345 674 -102 703 112 2 28 3 1 1,849
232 Phil Goyette C 1956-1957 1971-1972 941 207 467 674 +4 131 32 0 16
233 Paul Maclean R 1980-1981 1990-1991 719 324 349 673 -35 968 115 0 37 3 0 1,513
234 Stanley Smyl R 1978-1979 1990-1991 896 262 411 673 -77 1,556 74 13 20 0 0 1,903
235 Daymond Langkow C 1995-1996 2011-2012 1,090 270 402 672 +81 547 72 11 42 4 3 2,456
236 Henrik Zetterberg DET L 2002-2003 2012-2013 714 263 409 672 +146 289 88 9 55 1 6 2,488
237 Craig Ramsay L 1971-1972 1984-1985 1,070 252 420 672 +328 201 17 27 32 1,614
238 Reginald Leach R 1970-1971 1982-1983 934 381 285 666 +123 387 88 5 58 2,866
http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.h...rt=points&pg=8

These are just some of the 238 players who have outscored Crosby. He's a real deserving HHoFer.

__________________
hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
  #78
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Uniqueness, creativity and artistry are means to an end, they are what get players the points, wins and results on the ice. They certainly make a player more memorable but those things are already factored into their overall play. If Forsberg is more creative and artistic and unique than Crosby (not sure that he is) why are his one ice results lesser? Because obviously Crosby has better scoring ability, better speed, etc.
On the contrary, these things have nothing to do with achieving results. In no way they factor into the results. You can be an artist and achieve results (Gretzky) or not achieve results (Kovalev), be a workhorse with results (Messier), or a workhorse with a specific assignment (Draper), or a workhorse without results at all (half the league).

Quote:
What I care about when comparing players is their effect on the ice.
For those reasons a player like Datsyuk, despite being probably the most creative and unique in the game is not the best in the game. He is however a player I will always remember and appreciate having seen play, but his creativity and uniqueness don't make him better than some of his peers, his overall play does.

If I had a choice between two players; a creative one and one who is incredibly boring and only scores garbage goals but is slightly better than the creative player. I take the boring player every time, it will be more fun to watch the creative player, but the boring one will help my team more.
If you want to take Robitaille over Bure, fine. A valid and a popular viewpoint, when all you care about is winning the game. I, however, disagree and believe that in evaluating player's legacy, his uniqueness must be accounted for. Forsberg is head and shoulders over Crosby in this regard, but Crosby's obvious statistical dominance negates that aspect, and Crosby wins.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
  #79
Forsberg21Sakic19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Have to say Forsberg. I think people are forgetting how difficult the clutch and grab era really was. Crosby may pass Forsberg at some point but combined playoff and international success, Forsberg takes it at this point. It's a shame his injuries prevented us from seeing him at 100% for more than a handful of seasons. Great question though

Forsberg21Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
  #80
Forsberg21Sakic19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Just to add. I have never seen someone control the pace of a game better than Forsberg. Crosby and Malkin have elements of it but Peter changed he flow of the game when he was on the ice

Forsberg21Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #81
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
On the contrary, these things have nothing to do with achieving results. In no way they factor into the results. You can be an artist and achieve results (Gretzky) or not achieve results (Kovalev), be a workhorse with results (Messier), or a workhorse with a specific assignment (Draper), or a workhorse without results at all (half the league).
Sure they do, Datsyuk's creativity nets him goals, takeaways and beautiful set ups all the time, those are certainly results. Crosby and Forsberg's creativity also generated plenty of highlights, points and wins for their teams. Obviously you have to work hard as well to be the best, but without any creativity Kovalev would not have been a noteworthy player, he certainly wasn't picking up lots of points by crashing the net and working his ass off. His artistry was what he got by on.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
  #82
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.h...rt=points&pg=8

These are just some of the 238 players who have outscored Crosby. He's a real deserving HHoFer.
What exactly is the point of this? Raw career point totals make for incredibly dumb comparisons especially for guys like Crosby and Forsberg, and it doesn't seem to be a response to anything else in this thread, and of course the suggestion that Crosby isn't going to make the HHOF is one that no sane person would suggest. Guys like Steve Thomas, Jason Arnott and Ray Ferraro have more points than Forsberg, and I hope everyone who ever clicked on a thread on HOH would note why Forsberg should make the Hall but Ray Ferraro shouldn't.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  #83
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg21Sakic19 View Post
Just to add. I have never seen someone control the pace of a game better than Forsberg. Crosby and Malkin have elements of it but Peter changed he flow of the game when he was on the ice
I have to agree with this. Hysterical to see some posts of people claiming Crosby is by far better, and you don't understand hockey if you think Forsberg is better.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
  #84
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Forsberg was one of my favorite players growing up, but he was never "the guy". There were always better players than him. Crosby is the best and has been the best for a couple years. I personally don't think that the talent in hockey has decreased, so I would have to assume that Crosby is better than Forsberg.
Thought most everyone agreed Forsberg was the best player in the world for at the very least 1 season. Most say at least 2. Definitely the first time I've ever read he was never the best player though. I think you're in minority here.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
  #85
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,043
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I don't like the kid and I do love Forsberg for his game: love the style or hate hockey.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  #86
Sorry
Registered User
 
Sorry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Crosby isn't a unique player? I guess having the most feared backhand(pass and shot) possibly ever in the sport isn't unique or anything. He stands out in a game more than anyone else in the league night in and night out. His skating and puck-handling are unmistakable. He's a drone?



That's one damn electrifying drone.

In terms of artistry, being stylistically pleasing and graceful, all that crap, Crosby isn't Lemieux or anything, sure. But to say he isn't unique, or that he is some boring robot to watch on the ice, that's just ignorance.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #87
tombombadil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Thought most everyone agreed Forsberg was the best player in the world for at the very least 1 season. Most say at least 2. Definitely the first time I've ever read he was never the best player though. I think you're in minority here.
He was, without a doubt, the best player in the game, from the 2002 playoffs, until injury in 2004. 2 years of utter, 200 foot domination. Outside of that, he was in the talks, and, much like Crosby, aside from injury, was probably the best player in the game for the amalgamated period of about 98-04 ish, depending on how one values the total package vs. the Jagr. Crosby has the same amount of Hart/Art Rosses, but everyone sorta feels he's been the best, when healthy, since Ovie dropped off.

Their careers are very similar, as are their games. I shudder at the posts claiming post-season superiority for Crosby... Canadian site, though, I guess.

This is a very close question, and, in my mind comes down to whether you prefer physical puck protection or goal-scoring.

I took Foppa - I think that type of player, like a mythical Achilles (shame about the feet), inspired teammates, and puts more fear into opposition... and the numbers shake out close considering era.

However, I wouldn't look sideways at someone taking Sid - only those who are acting like this isn't very close.

Back to your point - yes, there should hopefully be very few who would say that Foppa was NOT THE best player in the world for at least 2 years.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
  #88
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Those claiming Crosby has been the best player in the NHL for quite some time need to remove their bias goggles.

Last time I checked, in the same timeframe (excluding PPG (points per game), Malkin has accomplished more than Crosby has and they have been in the league at the same time.

Crosby has been considered the best player in the NHL for about the same amount of time as Forsberg.

During Forsberg's era, Jagr was the inarguable best player of the NHL. During Crosby's eras, it has been a combination of Crosby, Jagr, Thornton, the Sedins, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Malkin on any given season for the best player.

In the last 3 seasons, Crosby has yet to play more than 41 games in a season. I am willing to bet that Crosby if he were to play a full season (70 games or more), he would not win any of the major awards, be it the Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay or Rocket Richard.

Crosby's defense, faceoff ability and goal scoring ability are being vastly overrated on here. He won a Rocket Richard, good for him. Does it make him better than Kovalchuk, Stamkos and Ovechkin in that regard? Absolutely not. Things had to go very well for him in 2009-10 for him to win that award, for one Ovechkin missed 10 games and yet only scored 1 less goal and Crosby tied a sophomore for the award. He is no Datsyuk, Towes or Bergeron defensively either. As for faceoffs, check Bergeron again. His accomplishments speak more to the talent of the NHL, or therefore lack of it than it does to Crosby's abilities. Crosby would have gotten mauled in the Dead Puck Era and would be out of the NHL in 7 seasons with his concussion issues.


The way some are talking about Crosby, you would think he was the second coming of Beliveau or something.

I look at Crosby in the last 2 playoff years, sorry in the last 4 playoff years, and I see a player who is supposed to have Captained the Stanley Cup favorites to early playoff exists annually to the hands of underdogs. The way Philly and Boston handled him in the last 2 playoffs tell me that he is nowhere as good as most are claiming. Against Boston, he was ineffective on faceoffs, his defense was terrible and he was actually the direct reason for some of Boston's goals and offensively he was downright terrible. I'm sorry but those are not the traits of the NHL's best player.

You never saw that sort of terrible play from any of the NHL greats; not from Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Beliveau, Richard, not from Jagr and even not from Forsberg.

Until Crosby actually mans up in the playoffs and or strings together another strong full season from start to finish, he is still behind Forsberg.


Last edited by livewell68: 08-22-2013 at 06:35 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
  #89
Ace88*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,382
vCash: 500
Wow, this is actually a lot closer than i initially thought. At first i was like, Crosby is better than Forsberg was, but now that im thinkin about it, i cant pick one really. They both dominated their competition, albeit in far different ways in far different times. On the one hand, Forsberg just clobbered the points standings in an era where it was difficult to do so. On the other hand, Crosby has a very comparable PPG in an era where talent is diluted to the point that even 100 points is impressive as hell now.

I still stick with Crosby. For many people, it would come down to playing style. Borderline psycho talent that made guys looks just stupid with really flashy plays that could blow your mind (Forsberg), or a guy that is just so absurdly efficient at destroying the opposition, a fine surgical instrument of sheer domination (crosby)

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  #90
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Wow, this is actually a lot closer than i initially thought. At first i was like, Crosby is better than Forsberg was, but now that im thinkin about it, i cant pick one really. They both dominated their competition, albeit in far different ways in far different times. On the one hand, Forsberg just clobbered the points standings in an era where it was difficult to do so. On the other hand, Crosby has a very comparable PPG in an era where talent is diluted to the point that even 100 points is impressive as hell now.

I still stick with Crosby. For many people, it would come down to playing style. Borderline psycho talent that made guys looks just stupid with really flashy plays that could blow your mind (Forsberg), or a guy that is just so absurdly efficient at destroying the opposition, a fine surgical instrument of sheer domination (crosby)
Care to elaborate on this? I for am picking Forsberg but when did this occur? In Forsberg's only Art Ross winning season, he won the Art Ross by just 2 points and lost the Pearson.

Last time I checked, in Forsberg's era only one player actually clobbered the point standings and that player is still playing in the NHL.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:36 PM
  #91
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Those claiming Crosby has been the best player in the NHL for quite some time need to remove their bias goggles.
Well it depends on how you define it. I don't think there's been much debate about whether he's the best player in the NHL for the past 3 years (examples being the TSN list and the THN list done by the players) and will always appear first on such lists. The better thing to say would be that he hasn't always had the best regular seasons because he got injured a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Last time I checked, in the same timeframe (excluding PPG (points per game), Malkin has accomplished more than Crosby has and they have been in the league at the same time.
That is a highly contestable point to just spout as universal truth. I think most people would consider Crosby the more accomplished of the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Crosby has been considered the best player in the NHL for about the same amount of time as Forsberg.
I'd say it was really 2 seasons for Forsberg and it's been 4 by Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
During Forsberg's era, Jagr was the inarguable best player of the NHL. During Crosby's eras, it has been a combination of Crosby, Jagr, Thornton, the Sedins, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Malkin on any given season for the best player.
This goes into another long argument that you haven't made. Forsberg's era extends into the 2000s when Jagr was playing below par with the Capitals and the Hart was won by Pronger, Sakic, Theodore, Forsberg and St.Louis and other players like Lidstrom, Iginla, Naslund and Brodeur were also discussed as the best of the world, nor was Jagr considered the best before '97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
In the last 3 seasons, Crosby has yet to play more than 41 games in a season. I am willing to bet that Crosby if he were to play a full season (70 games or more), he would not win any of the major awards, be it the Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay or Rocket Richard.
Is there any reason why you think this? He just had a season where didn't play the full year and still won the Lindsay, what is the reason to support this bold claim besides baseless conjecture? And of course before his injury he had a massive lead in the Art Ross and the Hart, which he still only lost by a very small margin, but hey, let's ignore that, because you have a hunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Crosby's defense, faceoff ability and goal scoring ability are being vastly overrated on here. He won a Rocket Richard, good for him. Does it make him better than Kovalchuk, Stamkos and Ovechkin in that regard? Absolutely not. Things had to go very well for him in 2009-10 for him to win that award, for one Ovechkin missed 10 games and yet only scored 1 less goal and Crosby tied a sophomore for the award. He is no Datsyuk, Towes or Bergeron defensively either. As for faceoffs, check Bergeron again. His accomplishments speak more to the talent of the NHL, or therefore lack of it than it does to Crosby's abilities. Crosby would have gotten mauled in the Dead Puck Era and would be out of the NHL in 7 seasons with his concussion issues.
Crosby had a career .51 G/G so it wasn't just one crazy year. The major point about the goal scoring is that he is a better goal scorer than Forsberg, in this topic which is dedicated to the discussion of Crosby vs. Forsberg. I don't think people were saying he's a better goal scorer than Ovechkin because of that, but it is very important to this discussion. Nor have I heard many people suggest that Crosby is Bergeron level defensively.

Again you're going to have to do better than just saying that the talent now sucks without any actual greater points about it, in addition to violating the whole comparing players against their peers deal. That also seems like a point better suited for the early 90's, instead of the late 90's and early 2000's. Same with that "Crosby would be out of the NHL in 7 seasons" ********. What is that actually a point about? It's not like the rate of injuries or concussions has gone down, nor is "what if we had a time machine and transported player X" a salient point in HOH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I look at Crosby in the last 2 playoff years, sorry in the last 4 playoff years, and I see a player who is supposed to have Captained the Stanley Cup favorites to early playoff exists annually to the hands of underdogs. The way Philly and Boston handled him in the last 2 playoffs tell me that he is nowhere as good as most are claiming. Against Boston, he was ineffective on faceoffs, his defense was terrible and he was actually the direct reason for some of Boston's goals and well offensively he was downright terrible. I'm sorry but those are not the traits of the NHL's best player.

You never saw that sort of terrible play from any of the NHL greats; not from Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Beliveau, Richard, not from Jagr and even not from Forsberg.
Philadelphia didn't handle him at all. Crosby dominated possession (17.66 Corsi) and scored often (8 points in 6 games), it's more that Pittsburgh suffered from one of the worst goaltending performances in modern NHL history, and of course a lot of that was done on the powerplay. As was shown before, there were numerous series where Forsberg was relatively ineffective, including in 2003-2004 when he was the best player in the NHL but was shut down by Scott Hannan. Jagr also had a nightmare series against the Devils in 05-06 (1 point in 3 games when he was 2nd in the Hart voting and won the Pearson) and also in 2000-01 (0 points in 5 games when he won the Art Ross, 2nd for the Pearson and 3rd in Hart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Until Crosby actually mans up and strings together a strong full season from start to finish, he is still behind Forsberg.
First of all, "man up" is an extremely stupid phrase to use here. It's hard to take you seriously when you say something like that. Second, Forsberg is not a great example of a guy playing full seasons.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
  #92
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,520
vCash: 500
Crosby bested Forsberg's career high in goals. In 41 games.

Sid's recent playoff performances have left alot to be desired. Guy needs to stay healthy for a full season. And our GM/Coach need to find him a legit RW.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
  #93
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I am willing to bet that Crosby if he were to play a full season (70 games or more), he would not win any of the major awards, be it the Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay or Rocket Richard.
Are you serious? Crosby in the each of the last 3 years has put up numbers that would require him to play worse than he ever has in his entire career for an extended period of time to lose the scoring race. You really think that would have happened each of those years and that he is not the favourite to lead the league in scoring next season if healthy? By the way he may not need 70 games to win the Lindsay or Hart he just missed 25% of the season and still won the Lindsay and was very close to winning the Hart.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  #94
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
Philadelphia didn't handle him at all. Crosby dominated possession (17.66 Corsi) and scored often (8 points in 6 games), it's more that Pittsburgh suffered from one of the worst goaltending performances in modern NHL history, and of course a lot of that was done on the powerplay. As was shown before, there were numerous series where Forsberg was relatively ineffective, including in 2003-2004 when he was the best player in the NHL but was shut down by Scott Hannan. Jagr also had a nightmare series against the Devils in 05-06 (1 point in 3 games when he was 2nd in the Hart voting and won the Pearson) and also in 2000-01 (0 points in 5 games when he won the Art Ross, 2nd for the Pearson and 3rd in Hart.
Please don't fall into his trap of turning every thread into a Jagr discussion. It is an impressive skill though.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
  #95
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
Well it depends on how you define it. I don't think there's been much debate about whether he's the best player in the NHL for the past 3 years (examples being the TSN list and the THN list done by the players) and will always appear first on such lists. The better thing to say would be that he hasn't always had the best regular seasons because he got injured a lot.


That is a highly contestable point to just spout as universal truth. I think most people would consider Crosby the more accomplished of the 2.


I'd say it was really 2 seasons for Forsberg and it's been 4 by Crosby.


This goes into another long argument that you haven't made. Forsberg's era extends into the 2000s when Jagr was playing below par with the Capitals and the Hart was won by Pronger, Sakic, Theodore, Forsberg and St.Louis and other players like Lidstrom, Iginla, Naslund and Brodeur were also discussed as the best of the world, nor was Jagr considered the best before '97.


Is there any reason why you think this? He just had a season where didn't play the full year and still won the Lindsay, what is the reason to support this bold claim besides baseless conjecture? And of course before his injury he had a massive lead in the Art Ross and the Hart, which he still only lost by a very small margin, but hey, let's ignore that, because you have a hunch!


Crosby had a career .51 G/G so it wasn't just one crazy year. The major point about the goal scoring is that he is a better goal scorer than Forsberg, in this topic which is dedicated to the discussion of Crosby vs. Forsberg. I don't think people were saying he's a better goal scorer than Ovechkin because of that, but it is very important to this discussion. Nor have I heard many people suggest that Crosby is Bergeron level defensively.

Again you're going to have to do better than just saying that the talent now sucks without any actual greater points about it, in addition to violating the whole comparing players against their peers deal. That also seems like a point better suited for the early 90's, instead of the late 90's and early 2000's. Same with that "Crosby would be out of the NHL in 7 seasons" ********. What is that actually a point about? It's not like the rate of injuries or concussions has gone down, nor is "what if we had a time machine and transported player X" a salient point in HOH.


Philadelphia didn't handle him at all. Crosby dominated possession (17.66 Corsi) and scored often (8 points in 6 games), it's more that Pittsburgh suffered from one of the worst goaltending performances in modern NHL history, and of course a lot of that was done on the powerplay. As was shown before, there were numerous series where Forsberg was relatively ineffective, including in 2003-2004 when he was the best player in the NHL but was shut down by Scott Hannan. Jagr also had a nightmare series against the Devils in 05-06 (1 point in 3 games when he was 2nd in the Hart voting and won the Pearson) and also in 2000-01 (0 points in 5 games when he won the Art Ross, 2nd for the Pearson and 3rd in Hart.


First of all, "man up" is an extremely stupid phrase to use here. It's hard to take you seriously when you say something like that. Second, Forsberg is not a great example of a guy playing full seasons.
1. For the first bolder part, I will go by trophy count:

Malkin has 2 Art Ross trophies, 1 Hart, 1 Lindsay, 1 Conn Smythe and 1 Calder.

Crosby has 1 Hart, 2 Lindsays, 1 Art Ross and 1 Rocket Richard (it was Ovechkin's if he hadn't missed 10 games).

It seems that Malkin is more accomplished.

2. To the second bolded part, between 1994-2002, Jagr had 5 Art Ross trophies, a 2nd place finish to none other than Lemieux, and two top 5 finishes. He also had 1 Hart, 2 Pearsons and was runner up for the Hart 4 other times with one 4ht place finish. Jagr was by far the most dominant offensive force of the 1994-2006 era if you exclude Lemieux. Jagr was also robbed of the Hart in 1999-00 despite winning the Art Ross in just 63 games and despite still walking away with the Pearson. The only other player in his era that was in the discussion was Hasek and he was a goalie, that era favored goalies in general.

I'm not even going to argue against any of your other points because I am pretty others will find issues with them as well.

BTW, Crosby has not been the best player in the NHL for 4 seasons.

The only season he was truly the best player in the NHL was 2006-07. This past season, his playoff failure was far too obvious for him to deserve the title of best player.

Crosby has been benefiting from the PPG argument over the past 3 seasons because he has yet to string together a full season for us to really know how his PPG would have been. History has shown us that the longer a player plays, the harder it is to maintain a high PPG. Take Jagr's 1999-00 season for instance. Jagr had 71 Pts in his first 39 games and wound up finishing with 96 Pts in 63 games. His last 24 games, (because he was injured) he only scored 25 Pts.

Crosby's PPG in 2011-12 is no more impressive than a player who scores 82 Pts in 82 games.

As the half seasons thread found in the By the Numbers has proven, Crosby's stretches including his vastly overrated 2010-11 41 games stretch aren't even among the top 5 of the last 20 seasons.

All Crosby has shown is that he can play great hockey for short periods of time. The last time he had a full season, he didn't win the Hart or the Art Ross, the legendary and overly talented Henrik Sedin won them.

In regards to Jagr's series against the Devils, I think you conveniently omitted the fact that Jagr has serious shoulder injuries in both instances with the 2005-06 season being where he actually dislocated his shoulder and needed surgery to repair it in the offseason. In fact, the only reason why Jagr is even credited with 3 games played is because he played about 6 minutes combined in the last 2 games he played with this very same aforementioned dislocated shoulder. Hardly what I would call Jagr being healthy. Oh and btw in 2005-06, Jagr was 34 and past a player's natural prime. He wasn't a 26 year old player the way Crosby was this year when he embarrassed himself against the Bruins.


Last edited by livewell68: 08-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
  #96
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Are you serious? Crosby in the each of the last 3 years has put up numbers that would require him to play worse than he ever has in his entire career for an extended period of time to lose the scoring race. You really think that would have happened each of those years and that he is not the favourite to lead the league in scoring next season if healthy? By the way he may not need 70 games to win the Lindsay or Hart he just missed 25% of the season and still won the Lindsay and was very close to winning the Hart.
25% is very impressive if it was actually a full season, 25% of 48 games is nothing like 25% of an 82 game season.

Ovechkin had a better 50 game stretch in 2009-10 than any of the recent stretches Crosby has had and even he didn't win the Hart or Art Ross trophy. Saying Crosby could have done this and that is pointless since he didn't do any of it.

He still only has 1 Art Ross trophy to show for all his "best player in the world" title.

Malkin and Ovechkin who are his comparable and direct competitors have accomplished more individually and have a better trophy case.

Crosby takes the cake for the best PPG in shorts spurts but other than that, he just another what if player until he proves his doubters wrong. Last time I checked, it was the "fat, past his prime, declining" Ovechkin who won the Hart in 2012-13 and the old, way past his prime St.Louis who won the Art Ross and not the so-called "best player in the world" Crosby.


Last edited by livewell68: 08-22-2013 at 07:07 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:03 PM
  #97
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,032
vCash: 500
You can say Crosby suffered from a terrible goaltending performance, but if you're going to play that card you have to acknowledge Crosby's stats might have been skewed by a similarly terrible performance from Bryzgalov.

That's a weird series, I put an asterisk by anyone who put up gaudy numbers on either team. I suspect Bryz and Fleury combined to pump out the worst goaltending any series has seen. If it's not the worst it has to be high on the list of worst.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
  #98
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You can say Crosby suffered from a terrible goaltending performance, but if you're going to play that card you have to acknowledge Crosby's stats might have been skewed by a similarly terrible performance from Bryzgalov.

That's a weird series, I put an asterisk by anyone who put up gaudy numbers on either team.
Crosby was what 2nd in the series in scoring to a good player who had the best stretch of hockey in his life? If his team wins the series no one would hold an 8 point series against him. Forsberg has had worse series' than that.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
  #99
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You can say Crosby suffered from a terrible goaltending performance, but if you're going to play that card you have to acknowledge Crosby's stats might have been skewed by a similarly terrible performance from Bryzgalov.

That's a weird series, I put an asterisk by anyone who put up gaudy numbers on either team. I suspect Bryz and Fleury combined to pump out the worst goaltending any series has seen. If it's not the worst it has to be high on the list of worst.
Bingo.

Over the last 4 playoff seasons that Crosby has played in, he has been outplayed by an opposing player on ever occasion where his team played. Again not the trait of the "world's best player".

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
  #100
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Bingo.

Over the last 4 playoff seasons that Crosby has played in, he has been outplayed by an opposing player on ever occasion where his team played. Again not the trait of the "world's best player".
Which Ottawa Senator or New York Islander outplayed Crosby in rounds 1 and 2? So you are saying Crosby is not the best player, even though he literally just won the award for being the best player?

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.