HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want the future captain to be?

Old
04-02-2012, 09:35 PM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 500
Who do you want the future captain to be? 2013 Edit: Do we need a captain?

Lets say Iginla was traded this or maybe next offseason... Who is your pick to captain this team and assume his leadership role? For now and long term.

Last edited by RIP Chris Butler: 09-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.
RIP Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
The only real candidates I see are GlenX, Gio, and Tangs. GlenX and Gio have the same problem both are to emotional and loss their cool in games that isn't a trait I would want to youth to get. That leaves Tangs as the next captain.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Giordano

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
It would be Giordano. I don't think there's anyone else who really has showed they deserve it. I would have no problem with Giordano as captain, and Tanguay and someone else wearing the A's. Maybe a character guy like Jackman.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:15 PM
theConstant

Defs Gio. I like Tanguay and Cammy as assistants. I don't think Glencross is ready for a letter yet.

theConstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

I want a guy who hates to lose and expects that of his team mates. I want a warrior who leads by example but is willing to take a team mate aside and kick his ass if need be. I want Scott Hartnell.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I want a guy who hates to lose and expects that of his team mates. I want a warrior who leads by example but is willing to take a team mate aside and kick his ass if need be. I want Scott Hartnell.
Bouwmeester for Hartnell.

No wait, I was really serious.
Don't think Gio is really a good choice but he's certainly the best one. Prone to fiery irresponsible plays as mentioned, and has been on and off in terms of intensity this year along with the rest of the team. I'd just want him to stay with the A instead of a C.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Ozil

Gio all the way. Not even a difficult choice considering who we'd have left

Ozil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:26 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktotheface View Post
Lets say Iginla was traded this or maybe next offseason... Who is your pick to captain this team and assume his leadership role? For now and long term.

Mark Giordano.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Body Checker

Glencross? Pouty baby Glencross? No not captain material.

Giodano definitely an option.

Baertschi a few years down the road as well maybe. See how he develops.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
goodsauce

Sven Baertschi

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Medium Rare*

No one on the current roster. The guy I think is the future captain is not far enough into his career. I would acquire a veteran to be a transitional captain for 2 or 3 years.

But then again this is the age where captaincy doesn't mean a whole lot and it will probably go to Giordano who IMO shouldn't even have a letter on his jersey because he is too emotional sometimes and often takes bad penalties.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
No one on the current roster. The guy I think is the future captain is not far enough into his career. I would acquire a veteran to be a transitional captain for 2 or 3 years.

But then again this is the age where captaincy doesn't mean a whole lot and it will probably go to Giordano who IMO shouldn't even have a letter on his jersey because he is too emotional sometimes and often takes bad penalties.
Some of the best captains in the game take bad penalties. Giordano doesn't take many bad penalties anyways, so I don't understand your criticism. Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Jim Peplinski (I only included him because you seemed to like him as a captain), Brendan Morrow, Ryan Callahan and many others play with emotion. I don't want an automaton as captain anyways. Give me a guy who plays with emotion any day.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:58 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
If Iggy was traded, and no other leader came in, it would have to be Gio. I think he'd step up with the added responsibilities - and I'd much rather have an emotional captain than an unemotional captain.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:

Ya, let's at least see what Ferland can do in Abby

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Ya, let's at least see what Ferland can do in Abby
I was talking about Bouma actually. I think he is a natural leader and has the ability to lead in a bottom 6 role, much like Dave Lowry did during his stint as Flames captain

Old
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Gary83*

Giordano is one of those players whose play I could see declining being a captain. Cammy seems to have a pretty good attitude, guy hates to lose, I would give it to him.

I think in the future a good captain would probably be someone like Ramage, Reinhart or Ferland. The types of players that will leave it all out on the ice.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
flamesfever

Short term i think the easy answer is Giordano....long term...i don't think we have that player yet.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
The Gnome

Gio is captain material IMO. Maybe a little pre-mature, but he is getting there. All of you posters who say he takes stupid emotional penalties, I'm sorry but your just wrong. He doesn't do that on a consistent basis, I've seen it only a few times this year. No idea where that crap is coming from. If Iggy goes, the choice is easy.

Gio

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Gio is captain material IMO. Maybe a little pre-mature, but he is getting there. All of you posters who say he takes stupid emotional penalties, I'm sorry but your just wrong. He doesn't do that on a consistent basis, I've seen it only a few times this year. No idea where that crap is coming from. If Iggy goes, the choice is easy.

Gio
Agreed. I don't know where the comment on stupid penalties comes from. Bourque used to take them when he was here and it's the one thing I dislike about Glencross, but Giordano takes very few bad penalties.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:
I was talking about Bouma actually. I think he is a natural leader and has the ability to lead in a bottom 6 role, much like Dave Lowry did during his stint as Flames captain
Be honest now- Are you Lance Bouma/ Lance Bouma's mom? Because I'm not sure anyone else on earth sees what you apparently do.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 134
Cammalleri for me. Even if Iginla stays and is the captain for the next 5 years I'd like to see Cammy get an A, preferably at the expense of JayBo.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Be honest now- Are you Lance Bouma/ Lance Bouma's mom? Because I'm not sure anyone else on earth sees what you apparently do.
Just because I look beyond stats doesn't mean I'm related to anyone. I have had this opinion of Bouma before he ever played a professional game because of things that were said about him while he was a member of the Vancouver Giants. Leadership is not about stats, its about getting your team to follow you. Its about doing what you need to do night after night. Bouma by all accounts was that guy in Vancouver and I have seen nothing to sway that opinion.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Rangediddy

Easily Gio.

Tanguay is the type of player everyone should look to for leadership, but he isn't emotional enough to lead and motivate a team.

Cammy has the heart, but I'd be too worried about consistency issues and giving him the C may boost his ego to Dion Phaneuf levels (at which point I could see Gio putting him back in his place).

Glencross is an emotional rollercoaster, and would get fired up enough, but I just don't see the leadership in him.

Gio is a great candidate. I've said from his return from Russia that he was going to captain this team after Iggy. Giving him the C could even elevate his game further, which the thought of makes my pants tight.

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Just because I look beyond stats doesn't mean I'm related to anyone. I have had this opinion of Bouma before he ever played a professional game because of things that were said about him while he was a member of the Vancouver Giants. Leadership is not about stats, its about getting your team to follow you. Its about doing what you need to do night after night. Bouma by all accounts was that guy in Vancouver and I have seen nothing to sway that opinion.
Regardless of his leadership qualities there is now way he is going to be a captain next year if we move Iggy.

As it stands right now; Bouma is a 4th liner, has played very little in the NHL, and is 21 years of age.

He is nowhere close to being captain material.

Not only that, but IMO, your captain has to be a player who sees a lot of icetime. Either a top 4 dman or a top 6 forward, who excels on the PK/PP.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote