Notices

Team physical fitness [UPD - Buff down 30 lbs]

Old
08-25-2013, 11:07 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
Team physical fitness [UPD - Buff down 30 lbs]

Is it just me or is this team taking fitness to a whole new level?

Scheifele - Gained 18 lbs of muscle since end of last year. Says his training at GRHPT was the best he's ever had. Up to 196. Watching videos it is noticeable how fast his release is, he almost looks like Lemieux with the way he holds the stick a bit high but absolutely snaps it. Even just a year ago he looked like a pencil necked kid, now he looks like a football player.

http://illegalcurve.com/2013/08/23/w...sn-radio-1290/

There's a couple good interviews on Jets TV where you can see he looks pretty beefy.

Trouba, Sutter, Melchiori - Also attended GRHPT. Not much is known about their physical shape, how much weight has been gained. I imagine we'll find out Troubas weight at camp. Trouba is also attending USA olympic hockey camp.

Peluso - Also at GRHPT and I think he's a bit of a pet project of GR, drew his praise on a 1290 interview a while back. Up around 236-238 "depending on water intake" and lost about 4.5% body fat.

Bogosian - Trains at the same place as the GRHPT, but has trained under Lorne Goldenberg since he was 15, who is basically Roberts mentor. Players call him meatball for a reason. Invited to USA olympic hockey camp. HFboards was salivating over Stamkos lifting 500 lbs:

Yet here's Bogosian lifting 525 lbs with much more control, not letting the weights bounce:

Byfuglien - Rumors were around shortly after the draft that he was getting into monster shape - started by none other than ps241 on here. He can elaborate if he chooses. Turns out his source was correct as this photo shows(linked from IC who I'm sure don't mind):

Wheeler also stated on his conference call that we are going to be surprised with Buff. Wouldn't elaborate too much. Also consider Buff is invited to the USA olympic hockey camp. Mike Russo of the Star Tribune also recently tweeted this:

Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 20 Aug

@joey_salamon: @Russostrib is Big Buff looking leaner as the summer photo showed? Lean and mean Buff? Looking good
Quote:
gary lawless ‏@garylawless 1h

Very solid source out of Minnesota says #nhljets defenceman Dustin Byfuglien is down 30 pounds from year end. Good sign for Jets. #bn
Wheeler and Ladd - Haven't heard much from either of them with regards to physical shape, but they've never had questions in the past and both are invited to their respective olympic hockey camps. Ps241 has a source saying wheeler has definitely gained some muscle this off season.

Pavelec - Not a peep. Stated at the end of last year he needs to change a few things, maybe physical fitness is one of them. Invited to Czech olympic hockey team.

Frolik - Not much is known, potential olympian.

Slater - Always been a fitness and nutrition nut. Not concerned about him, he'll be in good shape.

Jokinen - Had a bad year, and decided to take out his aggression on a huge tire on July 8th:

https://twitter.com/MrsJoki/status/3.../photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/MrsJoki/status/3.../photo/1/large

His forearm looks pretty huge in that past picture. Invited to Finnish training camp

Evander Kane - Showed up in Winnipeg a while back (went back to Vancouver and to Vegas since) looking in good shape:

http://instagram.com/p/dMpPFNzNzy/#
http://instagram.com/p/dMov96TNzK/#

Haven't heard much about guys like Redmond, Postma, Little, Wright(he looked pretty skinny at the draft party), Stuart (always seems in decent shape, looked good at the draft party), Setoguchi, Thorburn is busy with his bulldozer. If anyone wants to add feel free.

Last edited by allan5oh: 08-31-2013 at 08:47 AM.
allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:52 AM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 500
I've definitely felt something different about this off-season compared to the previous two. There really does seem to be a different attitude amongst many of the guys who've been with the team for a while. I think/hope that there was something of a "moment of clarity" at the end of last season that led to a new level of commitment. I mean the last two seasons the team has been so close to making the play-offs...like two or three wins away. I think missing the cut last year was very frustrating for guys like Ladd and Wheeler and Kane (to name a few) as they saw how just a couple of better performances during the year would have done it and I suspect there might have been some intense locker room discussions about what needed to happen in order for them to get over that hump.

I'm sure those sorts of discussions go on all the time with varying degrees of impact and varying results, but I get a sense that in this case there might have been a big "buy in" from the team at large...I don't remember nearly as many twitter postings regarding training in previous years. It almost seems like the players are keeping each other posted and sort of egging each other on.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:03 PM
JSR84
Displaced Jets fan.

@allan5oh I remember you from the Heights / Route 204 days. lol

JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Potrzebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Pavelec - Not a peep. Stated at the end of last year he needs to change a few things, maybe physical fitness is one of them. Invited to Czech olympic hockey team.
I was thinking the same thing about the group's fitness level for this coming season. I agree it seems that there is a new level of commitment amongst them - whether that's the edict from management or just amongst themselves I don't know but it can only be good. I don't think it's coincidence that so many of them seem to be so focused on it all at once.

Didn't Pavs' agent tweet a pic of him from Montreal where he was actually looking pretty trim as well?

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Sixty Minute Man

Totally agree with this post. It's really great to see. I do remember seeing a pic of Pavelec working out (I think it was in the Freep), but I can't seem to find it again. Anyway, I thought at the time that he was looking fitter than he did during last season. I've often wondered if perhaps his conditioning was what was holding him back.

Sixty Minute Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:33 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Wheeler is noticeably more muscular in the upper body this summer than he was the year the Jets arrived in Winnipeg according to a source that is reliable.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:37 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Same source as last time?

Old
08-25-2013, 01:37 PM
DancesWithWookies

Great Post. Those pics of Jokinen with the tire are a beaut.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:47 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Same source as last time?
You mean the early breaking Buff weight loss source?

Old
08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the group's fitness level for this coming season. I agree it seems that there is a new level of commitment amongst them - whether that's the edict from management or just amongst themselves I don't know but it can only be good. I don't think it's coincidence that so many of them seem to be so focused on it all at once.

Didn't Pavs' agent tweet a pic of him from Montreal where he was actually looking pretty trim as well?
If you can find that pic that would be great.

Old
08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
You mean the early breaking Buff weight loss source?
Yes.

Old
08-25-2013, 02:21 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 951
A commitment to team physical fitness seems to be one of many encouraging signs this off season. Everyone seems to be in on the act. Can't wait until camp.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:22 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Yes.
The source is the same one who broke the Jenny Craig Buff news. Wheels has always been fit he is just more muscled this summer.

Old
08-25-2013, 03:09 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
It's almost scary that so many guys on the team seem to be making a big commitment to physical fitness. Really hope all the hard work will bear fruit for years to come.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:29 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Wheeler is noticeably more muscular in the upper body this summer than he was the year the Jets arrived in Winnipeg according to a source that is reliable.
That's interesting about Wheeler. Hopefully it'll show some good results on ice. But I feel like Wheeler's weakness physically is getting knocked down or off the puck too easily for a 6'5 guy. I'll assume he's more muscular all around since I doubt a professional athlete at the highest level would skip leg day.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:10 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Great OP allan.
Like everyone here I'm loving the commitment to fitness our core is showing.
Also nice to have posters like PS who have worthwhile tidbits of information.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 06:17 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is it just me or is this team taking fitness to a whole new level?
It's not just you. I can't friggin' wait for the season to start. Looks like the commitment level has been raised several notches.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Repoman

Is this something the Jets seem to be undergoing more than any other teams? You would think in this day and age most professional athletes would be working hard in the off season to improve themselves. I mean you see the other guys at the Gary Roberts camp but is there any other teams that seem to be adopting these kind of team fitness concepts? I rarely go to any other boards except the main one a bit so I don't know if other teams are doing similar things. I hope not :-)

I am definitely pumped for the season to get going!

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Sixty Minute Man

Found these on tumblr

tumblr_ms03niPhLz1rfrfpxo1_1280.jpg
Czech workout?

tumblr_mros5g59aE1rfrfpxo1_1280.jpg

Sixty Minute Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:46 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Pavs doesn't look fat in the pic... so thats good.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
jimsabo21

Truthfully, I think this simply brings the Jets to being an average "fitness" team. Yes, more players are doing it, but more players on ALL TEAMS are doing it also. This Gary Roberts thing must have 75% of Ontario players registered! This trends back to the early 90s. Teams like Detroit (specifically Babcock) have zero tolerence for even "average fit" players. In an interview with H&L earlier this summer, he eluded to the fact that essentially nothing separates hockey teams now aside from fitness levels. He stated games are won and lost 45 seconds into shifts. When both teams are caught on a extented shift, who can take advantage?

Dallas Eakins in Edmonton is also an absolute fitness nut.

Again, glad to hear many Jets players seem committed, but if everyone else in the league is on the same program, this just brings you back to par.

jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 12:03 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

I think we were an average to slightly below average team the past couple years with regards to fitness. The good news is there's a big variation in fitness levels on our team, so it's easier to bring up our "average" fitness. Guys like Bogosian were always in fantastic shape.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Here's the pictures of Pavelec at the Octagon Hockey Summer Pro Training Camp in Montreal via Allan Walsh.

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/369911064097341441

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/369476111773618177

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
I think we were an average to slightly below average team the past couple years with regards to fitness. The good news is there's a big variation in fitness levels on our team, so it's easier to bring up our "average" fitness. Guys like Bogosian were always in fantastic shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
Truthfully, I think this simply brings the Jets to being an average "fitness" team. Yes, more players are doing it, but more players on ALL TEAMS are doing it also. This Gary Roberts thing must have 75% of Ontario players registered! This trends back to the early 90s. Teams like Detroit (specifically Babcock) have zero tolerence for even "average fit" players. In an interview with H&L earlier this summer, he eluded to the fact that essentially nothing separates hockey teams now aside from fitness levels. He stated games are won and lost 45 seconds into shifts. When both teams are caught on a extented shift, who can take advantage?

Dallas Eakins in Edmonton is also an absolute fitness nut.

Again, glad to hear many Jets players seem committed, but if everyone else in the league is on the same program, this just brings you back to par.
I agree with both these posts and the bolded part. Our challenge was not that our team was not fit our issue is we had some guys that weren't with the program. The very good news is that it seems like everyone is now with the program depending on how Pavs is doing this summer (photos look ok). I believe it is table stakes for everyone to show up fit to training camp in the new NHL but this is the first season it appears the Jets can check that box.

Old
08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

vCash: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Here's the pictures of Pavelec at the Octagon Hockey Summer Pro Training Camp in Montreal via Allan Walsh.

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/369911064097341441

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/369476111773618177

Dammit. I no longer have the body shape and build of a professional goalie. Well, I still have the same shape...

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote