Notices

New additions further strengthen the Anaheim Ducks Top 20 ranking

Old
08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
New additions further strengthen the Anaheim Ducks Top 20 ranking

The Anaheim Ducks added several key prospects this off-season via drafting and trade. While the Ducks world was shaken by the trade of Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, in return they received two tremendous pieces in Jakob Silfverberg and Stefan Noesen. They also added via draft Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen, and Keaton Thompson. The addition of these talented players has caused a bit of a shuffle in the rankings, not due to poor play or a downgrade of potential, but simply due to an increase of quality players in the system.

The Ducks continue to add to a very strong system with many talents poised and ready to make the jump to the NHL.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:55 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Ratings look good. Although I would say Gibson is a borderline 8.5C.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

overall rankings look good.

Only thing I would change, is that I think Gibson should be an 8.5C and Lindholm should be an 8.0C. Otherwise, pretty good.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:48 AM
AngelDuck

Only thing I don't agree with is Laganiere being ahead of Sorensen and Roy...what has he done to deserve that ranking?

Edit: And Andersen is too low IMO

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks fellas. This was actually way more difficult to put together than it seemed going in. I can totally see where you can rate those guys higher, just didn't want to jump the gun on my own end. I think we are looking at both of them on the cusp of being higher. Always better to underrate than over in my opinion as long as the underrating isn't egregious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Only thing I don't agree with is Laganiere being ahead of Sorensen and Roy...what has he done to deserve that ranking?

Edit: And Andersen is too low IMO
He was tremendous last season. So many good players in front of him though. I swear this whole list, if you just look at the rankings it looks like so many players are getting slighted, but the reality of this system is that it's ridiculously deep.

Look at the Kings system (I know I know sorry it's just the other one that I work on.) And Martin Jones is seventh. Seventh. Andersen is as good if not better and look where he is on this list. Such a deep system.

And Laganiere had some great success in the NCAA...and he has a ton of desirable physical attributes that out-weigh Roy at least. Sorensen is still pretty raw.

Always look forward to the reactions and input from you guys! I make note of it all trust me!

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 08-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Thanks fellas. This was actually way more difficult to put together than it seemed going in. I can totally see where you can rate those guys higher, just didn't want to jump the gun on my own end. I think we are looking at both of them on the cusp of being higher. Always better to underrate than over in my opinion as long as the underrating isn't egregious.

He was tremendous last season. So many good players in front of him though. I swear this whole list, if you just look at the rankings it looks like so many players are getting slighted, but the reality of this system is that it's ridiculously deep.

Look at the Kings system (I know I know sorry it's just the other one that I work on.) And Martin Jones is seventh. Seventh. Andersen is as good if not better and look where he is on this list. Such a deep system.

And Laganiere had some great success in the NCAA...and he has a ton of desirable physical attributes that out-weigh Roy at least. Sorensen is still pretty raw.

Always look forward to the reactions and input from you guys! I make note of it all trust me!
While I understand and agree that ratings like 8.5B or 9.0C should only be given rarely, I am of the opinion that the Ducks' top-level prospects have been graded too low.

Both Gibson and Silfverberg have not only shown flashes of great potential, but kept that level of play for a whole season. That is a tremendous feat for players at that age, especially for Gibson with him being a goalie, who traditionally develop much slower and rarely play in the NHL prior to age 24/25.

I'd say Gibson might be either an 8.5C or a 9.0D, es he has already been the best goalie among professional, grown-up athletes at the WC this year. Unless the injury bug bites him hard or he somehow gets his head in the clouds, this guy is almost penciled in to be a perennial All-Star in the NHL as he virtually has no major flaws; his game is extremely polished and well-rounded for a goalie at that age.

Silfverberg I may be a bit biased and wishing more than objectively observing, but his play in Ottawa was very impressive. He wasn't seen as one of the biggest breakout candidates in the NHL for nothing on the official NHL's page a few weeks ago. Looking at raw potential, I'd say he's an 8.5 for sure, especially with that wicked wristshot of his. Now the question remains if he will be able to reach his full potential, and I'm rather optimistic of that - especially under an offensive-minded coach like Boudreau. So I think 8.5C sounds about fair.

Etem and Lindholm both might slide up a notch as well, having them 8.0D and 8.0C respectively.

That's just my POV, so take it with a grain of salt. However, I think most people around here would agree with me. Other than that, I think the ranking in itself is pretty fair.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Gibson should have a higher rating, he's more than the standard "good" goalie prospect. sure he could flop but anyone can, he's arguably the top goalie prospect around right now and i don't think the rating reflects that

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
The Anaheim Ducks added several key prospects this off-season via drafting and trade. While the Ducks world was shaken by the trade of Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, in return they received two tremendous pieces in Jakob Silfverberg and Stefan Noesen. They also added via draft Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen, and Keaton Thompson. The addition of these talented players has caused a bit of a shuffle in the rankings, not due to poor play or a downgrade of potential, but simply due to an increase of quality players in the

The Ducks continue to add to a very strong system with many talents poised and ready to make the jump to the NHL.… read more

More...
Appreciate the write up. We have cannons waiting to be fired in the backfield. There's a serious youth movement brewing we just gotta wait and see what we exactly have here. I think it's something special. Really really optimistic about this. Can't wait thank you For the write up HF! Very nice of you

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Lindholm at 7.5c feels low, as does Gibson's rating.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:12 AM
mighty all the way

I agree with the ratings and the order pretty much except Anderson, but like you said our system is just soo deep. Thanks for the write up!

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Lindholm at 7.5c feels low, as does Gibson's rating.
Gibson needs 9.0 IMO kid has dominated everything in his path. I hope we see him this season. Bring in the backfield cannons!!! Super hyped for this season and its months away hahaha

Old
08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I would definitely agree that Gibson and Lindholm have an argument to be ranked a tad higher, but I see where he he's coming from. I thought that was a good article. Thanks.

08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
randyc

Norfolk

Based on the lack of free agent signings, the youth movement will start in Norfolk this season. Our season will be boom or bust depending on how well and how quickly the youngsters adapt to the stepped up competition. Of course hoping for the boom.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Yemeth

Thanks you for the interesting article/analysis!

Cheers...

Yemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
The Anaheim Ducks added several key prospects this off-season via drafting and trade. While the Ducks world was shaken by the trade of Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, in return they received two tremendous pieces in Jakob Silfverberg and Stefan Noesen. They also added via draft Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen, and Keaton Thompson. The addition of these talented players has caused a bit of a shuffle in the rankings, not due to poor play or a downgrade of potential, but simply due to an increase of quality players in the system.

More...
Thanks for the write up. It's well thought out and just like us in our own annual ranking palooza, after Karlsson, it's was a free for all.

I like some of the reasoning on why you ranked certain players above others such as Silf above Gibson, but it's not consistent when you had Andersen being the MVP for the Admirals at the AHL level (my interpretation of Andersen) with so many other prospects not accomplished at that level being rated higher. I suppose it's the consistency thing.

Another aspect on consistency is with putting Silf over Gibson you are putting production over potential. But I get tweeked out to see Etem above Lindholm as you state all the holes that Etem has and no holes, besides experience, for Lindholm.

As for ratings, many on this board have the same concern. Gibson has the potential to be a franchise goalie, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will achieve it. Similarly, Lindholm seems to possess a #1-2 defenseman and yet has the same ratings as Vatanen and Theodore, who have obvious defensive holes.

I didn't know that DSP (Smith-Pelly) had a solid statistical scoring output in Norfolk. Then I looked up Norfolk's team stats... it resembles that of Theodore's team such that a majority of players had negative plus/minus ratings! ha ha ha All I do know of DSP is that he's been a disappointment despite is solid scoring. No raving at the NHL nor AHL level last year from the coaches where it once was when he initially made the NHL squad. Again, if this is based upon performance, DSP should have been falling faster than a one hit wonder trying to make another big hit. I think you may have DSP rated that high because the potential still remains. Again, inconsistency of the ranking.

Maybe it's just me, but most of the write-ups on the Ducks' acquisition of Noesen sees Noesen as a single entity not associated to Rakell, his center for the past 3 and a half years. Nor that they could be made to become or retained to be a pair in the Ducks' organization. Curious, why is Rakell listed as a RW? Noesen's also listed as a RW. They played on the same line for 3 1/2 years. ::: eyes looking around ::: Plymouth's official site has Rakell as a center and Noesen as a LW.

Again, I thank you for the write up. Lots of goodiness of information there. I was wondering, in your next write up, could you use the following template because it gives us readers more info up front:

Rank # (Last Rank #) Player name, Position
Player Rating (in words what that means)
Height: , Weight:
Shoots:
Acquired (draft/trade)
Current League: (spent a majority of time there... 4 -9 games probably don't count)

Example:

4. (5) Hampus Lindholm, D
Rating: 7.5C (Above average #3-4 defenseman)
Height: 6'3", Weight: 195 lbs
Shoots: Left
Acquired: Drafted first round, 6th overall, in 2012
Current League: AHL - Norfolk Admirals

This way the information can readily be compared for newer readers such as comparing the heights of defenseman Lindholm, Vatanen, and Theodore. As well as gives a feel as to who's a bean pole as readers can easily pick out three or four players' weights to say, "OMGoodness, he's thinner than the blades he sharpens to skate on!" heh

But I would like the rating done verbally so that when you write it or whomever writes it can visually see that they just ranked Lindholm as above average #3-4 defenseman just as they write all that goodiness about Lindholm. What's the shortfall for making Lindholm an above average #3-4 defenseman? And wow, doesn't that make our scouting department look very bad to have drafted, at best, a #3-4 defenseman with the 6th overall pick. The 7th overall pick in 2012, Minnesota's Mathew Dumba, has an 8.0C (a #2 defenseman) rating and hasn't accomplished as much as Lindholm has at the AHL level. Also, Lindholm is 3 inches taller with the best endurance out of all the players coming out of the 2012 draft. See. That quickly opens up discussions and such. And considering this is an HF prospect rating, I see inconsistency with the ratings. heh

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
Based on the lack of free agent signings, the youth movement will start in Norfolk this season. Our season will be boom or bust depending on how well and how quickly the youngsters adapt to the stepped up competition. Of course hoping for the boom.
Confused here. Are you talking about Norfolk's season or the Ducks' season?

If Norfolk, I think they'd be happy to be acquiring all these new talents from FA signees like Lags and Whitney to incoming freshmen Noesen-Rakell, O'Brien, and possibly Gibson (I think he's coming to Norfolk.) That's adding to DSP, Clark, Lindholm/Vats (whichever one that doesn't make it to the big club), Andersen, and possibly Etem. Heck, I forgot to put Friberg into the mix as well. That's a lot of of our top 20 there!

As for the big club, the following players are just trying to build off of their success (as the article mentioned) or maintain it to develop consistency at the NHL level: Palms, Silf, Beleskey, and Bones. The only two players that really need to get their skates on ice more (feet wet) are Holland and Maroon. Lindholm or Vatanen will be lodging time while Souray is still preparing his body for the playoffs (that was a quip). As for forwards, I don't necessarily see boom or bust. The team has a first line (pairing anyways) and a veteran third line. Virtually, it's mostly the same crew all over again. On defense, just one spot open now to Vatanen or Lindholm. Either one can be sheltered on the third pairing.

What is this boom or bust you speak of? That is all dependent on our own top players as they dictate play such as Getz, Perry, Beauch, Fowler, Hiller and Fasth.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

I disagree with the rankings, as i would put every one of them a ''10 A'' ranking.

A nice read though, obviously, a few disagreements, but that`s only fair with this deep of a poll. Only 3 players below 7.0. (2 of them are Devo and Andersen - a guy with NHL experience and a SHL MVP and AHL starter already).
Thank you for article Jason Lewis

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Paul4587

Best rankings we've had in a while IMO. I don't agree with everything but for the most part it's pretty good.

As others have said Gibson is more like an 8.5C and Lindholm should probably be 8.0C. Karlsson is another guy I would rate higher too.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Exit Dose

Glad to finally see some revising. I'm a little surprised that Wagner fell out of our top 20.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 06:41 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

As i've thought for a while now, DSP is becoming more and more expendable trade wise. He needs to have a good camp or he's going to risk getting passed by. If he just focused on a north/south physical game he would be a highly effective player

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
As i've thought for a while now, DSP is becoming more and more expendable trade wise. He needs to have a good camp or he's going to risk getting passed by. If he just focused on a north/south physical game he would be a highly effective player
DSP needs to show something. I considered him expendable last season. The only problem is he has no value.

Old
08-22-2013, 07:24 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Did Etem's rating drop?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Exit Dose

Yeah. I think he was 8.0C before.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Growing pains. He needs to show he can bring the offense at the pro level, and consistently.

It's important to remember that an 8.0 is top line forward category. A 7.5 C still puts him as a potential top six player(and possibly a good one). 8's can get thrown around a little too much by some(mostly fans), but they are very good players.

Last edited by Sojourn: 08-22-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
idiroft

Players out of the top 20: Wagner, Sarault, O'Brien, etc, damn Ducks are deep!

idiroft is online now   Reply With Quote