Old
08-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Growing pains. He needs to show he can bring the offense at the pro level, and consistently.

It's important to remember that an 8.0 is top line forward category. A 7.5 C still puts him as a potential top six player(and possibly a good one). 8's can get thrown around a little too much by some(mostly fans), but they are very good players.
Three words. Top Line Minutes

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiroft View Post
Players out of the top 20: Wagner, Sarault, O'Brien, etc, damn Ducks are deep!
Yes we are! Backfield cannons are reaaaaady

Old
08-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
That's easy to say and difficult to justify. Etem didn't blow up when he was given top line minutes in the 'A'. The potential is there, but more minutes per night isn't going to magically turn him into an elite scorer. He still has to find a better approach to playing offense at the pro level.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let him earn them like everyone else. Getzlaf, undeniably our best forward, had to work his way up the line-up. Stop with the entitlement ********. Etem doesn't deserve anything yet, except a chance to play for a spot.

08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Growing pains. He needs to show he can bring the offense at the pro level, and consistently.

It's important to remember that an 8.0 is top line forward category. A 7.5 C still puts him as a potential top six player(and possibly a good one). 8's can get thrown around a little too much by some(mostly fans), but they are very good players.
Yeah exactly. Etem at 7.5 means he will top out at a fringe 1st liner which is a pretty realistic prediction.

Quote:
Let him earn them like everyone else. Getzlaf, undeniably our best forward, had to work his way up the line-up. Stop with the entitlement ********. Etem doesn't deserve anything yet, except a chance to play for a spot.

Yep and Getzlaf unlike Etem put up the numbers of a 2nd line player when he was on our 4th line. 39 points in 57 games compared to Etem's 10 points in 38 games. Getzlaf forced the issue, Etem has yet to do so.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
I guess 5 pts in the last 5 games in A playoff!!! Doesn't justify some serious minutes. You're right Soj dump Etem to the AHL cause he actually gave a **** when we were in the playoffs. Long Beach aside he actually had heart and determination when he played. This kid is the next back bone for our team you just fail to realize it. I see a mixture of Travis Moen and Rob Nieds in this player with the golden scoring touch. Sticking up for line mates having Palms back! Not
*****ing or complaining for a fourth line role! Work ethic off the charts!!! This player wants to PLAY!!! Let the player play with REAL minutes and a REAL line to play WITH!!! No more mixing and matching

Old
08-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I'm starting to think you're a broken record. Where did I say anything about the AHL? And wow... 5 games. And the 30 something games before that? How many points did he get, again? Or in the AHL? It isn't like the regular season is 82 games, and consistency is important for a player. Nope. 5 games is obviously a significant enough period to hand him a top line job. Yup.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:09 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
He still needs to earn it at camp just like everyone else. As I recall Kreider had a good playoff showing and then stunk it up in the AHL. 5 playoff games are no guarantee.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

And if Etem is going to be the backbone of this team, he should have no problem working his way up the depth chart. That isn't an argument to hand him opportunity on a silver platter. Great players excel regardless. See Bobby Ryan in his first season. That is a player proving he deserves more opportunity. What has Etem done that comes close to that? 5 games? Please. Bobby was productive with George ****ing Parros as a linemate. If Etem is the player you say he is, then he doesn't need to be playing on the top line to show it.

The funny thing is, I'm sure Etem would love the challenge of working his way up the line-up, and I think he'd feel a sense of accomplishment from doing it. Yet, here you are, acting like he's entitled to it.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:32 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I'm with Soj here. I'm a huge Etem fan, but he still has to earn a roster sport. Top 6 may be a bit premature.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
I guess 5 pts in the last 5 games in A playoff!!! Doesn't justify some serious minutes. You're right Soj dump Etem to the AHL cause he actually gave a **** when we were in the playoffs. Long Beach aside he actually had heart and determination when he played. This kid is the next back bone for our team you just fail to realize it. I see a mixture of Travis Moen and Rob Nieds in this player with the golden scoring touch. Sticking up for line mates having Palms back! Not
*****ing or complaining for a fourth line role! Work ethic off the charts!!! This player wants to PLAY!!! Let the player play with REAL minutes and a REAL line to play WITH!!! No more mixing and matching
I love it!!! Strong Beach baby!!! This team is so loaded on offense! Play Etem on the 1st line, **** everyone else!!

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:55 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
He still needs to earn it at camp just like everyone else. As I recall Kreider had a good playoff showing and then stunk it up in the AHL. 5 playoff games are no guarantee.
Beat me to it.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Paul4587

Apart from the elite nearly every player in the NHL will be thrown around various lineups during their career. There's no such thing as set linemates for most NHLers.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I love it!!! Strong Beach baby!!! This team is so loaded on offense! Play Etem on the 1st line, **** everyone else!!
We need a avatar for this ****. Ohh we can't cause Soj is always so damn critical at seeing players prosper. The back field cannons are ready??? What you gonna do when youth movement is in front of you?

Old
08-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Yup. I hate seeing our own prospects do well.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:05 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Could someone please lock this idiot out? I guess I don't have to name his name, right?

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Elvs

Quote:
And Andrew Cogliano led the Ducks in ES goals playing with Koivu and Winnik. His work ethic is off the charts. Don't you Think he deserves some serious minutes with Getzlaf and Perry and some PP time?

Not saying Etem doesn't deserve a chance in camp, but you should look up every 3rd and 4th liner that has had a streak of 5 points in 5 games. There's a few.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
Could someone please lock this idiot out? I guess I don't have to name his name, right?
Hey! I actually LIKE Sojourn.

Plus, he outranks me.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 06:50 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Hah, good one. I like Sojourn, too and remember him from back in the days when he was at AD and was one of, if not the, single-most objective and valuable members. The only other that came somewhat close was Dark Knight, whom I think I've seen around here somewhere as well.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
The Anaheim Ducks added several key prospects this off-season via drafting and trade. While the Ducks world was shaken by the trade of Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, in return they received two tremendous pieces in Jakob Silfverberg and Stefan Noesen. They also added via draft Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen, and Keaton Thompson. The addition of these talented players has caused a bit of a shuffle in the rankings, not due to poor play or a downgrade of potential, but simply due to an increase of quality players in the system.

The Ducks continue to add to a very strong system with many talents poised and ready to make the jump to the NHL.… read more

More...

I hate to even "quote" the article because it does such a poor job of ranking PROSPECTS. Please do some research on players and positions before you post this stuff. Have you seen these guys play at all? Go purchase a copy of The Hockey News and read and learn. BTW Etem and Silfverberg are NHL players, not prospects, neither will ever see the AHL.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
randyc

Talking About Norfolk

HockeyDuckie I was speaking about Norfolk. I would agree, on paper we have some very highly rated prospects possibly coming our way. And I expect we will have a couple of forwards come down who didn't make the cut in Anaheim.

My point was that while all of these prospects excelled at their previous level whether juniors or NCAA, they are making a big jump up in the level of competition when they come to the AHL.

I got to see Whitney and Sarault play at the end of last season and they impressed me.

For all of our sakes, I am hoping that each prospect makes a quick adjustment to the AHL and can make positive contributions to the team. Etem first looked lost in Norfolk last season and then about December the lights came on and his game picked up dramatically. But I have seen a number of highly touted prospects who for whatever reason couldn't step it up.

My remark about veterans is that at the AHL level those overage veterans really help as mentors to the younger players showing them what they need to do to make it at the AHL level and beyond. And I want them all to succeed and have short stays in Norfolk and be in the Honda Center with Ducks sweaters on.

So my point is right now we don't know how well they will do. And with the lack of veteran signings the success or lack thereof in Norfolk depends on the youngsters. I am hoping they do very well.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I don't see too much wrong with the write up, at all, like most others. I do believe that a few ratings are on the low side, and for the reasoning I point to my own attempt (dating back to prior to the Ryan trade, thus leaving out Silfverberg and Noesen). I particularly think that the ceilings for Gibson, Lindholm and Theodore are a tad low given their attributes.

I'm also surprised that Etem and Karlsson have been downgraded compared to a year ago. Especially the latter. Karlsson had a remarkable season in the SEL (now SHL) winning the rookie of the year title there (which puts him into pretty remarkable company on its own). He really made a bigger step within one year that could have been expected from the typical "7.5C"-prospect he was last year. A downgrade is a bit weird. With Etem the question always was his adaption to the pro game. And while those already existing questions certainly were proven to be reasonable throughout his AHL-campaign, his period of play in the NHL shed a positive light as well. Make no mistake, it was a short stint, which isn't really suited to entirely answer all those questions positively. But the questions were there before, and are more of a factor towards the likeliness-rating than the upside, anyway. I don't really think that this season as a whole has given anyone much of a reason to downgrade Etem's upside, when a transitional period was expected by everyone when he was still rated an 8.0C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
I hate to even "quote" the article because it does such a poor job of ranking PROSPECTS. Please do some research on players and positions before you post this stuff. Have you seen these guys play at all? Go purchase a copy of The Hockey News and read and learn. BTW Etem and Silfverberg are NHL players, not prospects, neither will ever see the AHL.
Well, that's weird. What do you disagree with, in particular? "Prospect" and "NHL Player" aren't mutually exclusive by most definitions, including the only relevant one in this case, being HF's, where players are considered prospects until they have played 65 NHL games or hit a certain age. So by HF's standards which the author has to go by, they are indeed prospects. And with no word does he say they are going to be in the AHL.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
HockeyDuckie I was speaking about Norfolk. I would agree, on paper we have some very highly rated prospects possibly coming our way. And I expect we will have a couple of forwards come down who didn't make the cut in Anaheim.

My point was that while all of these prospects excelled at their previous level whether juniors or NCAA, they are making a big jump up in the level of competition when they come to the AHL.

I got to see Whitney and Sarault play at the end of last season and they impressed me.

For all of our sakes, I am hoping that each prospect makes a quick adjustment to the AHL and can make positive contributions to the team. Etem first looked lost in Norfolk last season and then about December the lights came on and his game picked up dramatically. But I have seen a number of highly touted prospects who for whatever reason couldn't step it up.

My remark about veterans is that at the AHL level those overage veterans really help as mentors to the younger players showing them what they need to do to make it at the AHL level and beyond. And I want them all to succeed and have short stays in Norfolk and be in the Honda Center with Ducks sweaters on.

So my point is right now we don't know how well they will do. And with the lack of veteran signings the success or lack thereof in Norfolk depends on the youngsters. I am hoping they do very well.
Right now if i had to guess on the roster for Norfolk it would be something like below.

Laganiere
Sarault
Noeson
Friberg
Rackell
Whitney
Mitchell
Wagner
DSP
Stortini
Cramarossa
Kurtz

Gagne
Warg
Heed
O'Brien
Yonkman
Grant
Clark

Gibson
Andersen

So its a little young and could use some help up front and on the backend. But if Holland or Karlsson end up there then it will be a big boost. Similar on the backend if after Beauchemin is healthy Lindholm/Fistric comes down you will be good. So it might be a little rough at the start but after everything gets settled in Anaheim you will have a good decent team.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

That goaltending duo is just absurd(in a good way).

Old
08-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Based on Duthie's comments about the talk of Gibson being not just the best goaltender prospect out there, but the best the league has seen in quite some time, I would say a 9.0C or a 8.5C would be more accurate. Lindholm should probably be an 8.0C as well. I think these two are very special prospects that just don't quite get the attention that they should.

Otherwise, no real complaints. Ranking our top 20 must be quite hard, seeing as there's probably 25-28 guys deserving of a top 20 ranking. I notice Whitney cracked the list, and I think I like that. The kid's pretty underrated, even around here, but he could be a nice one.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote