HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Broker: Vancouver Heritage Classic tickets not selling well

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I honestly think tv numbers will start dwindling for these events once the college football playoff comes, and they need something to make it even watchable, which its not now.
Oh ya, for sure you can stage an outdoor game in practically any climate, Nevada, Arizona, wherever, portable bleachers & seating, dressing rooms etc. Personally I got bored with the stadium games a few years back, the odd one interesting me, like the AHL playing at Ivor Wynne in Hamilton, the up-coming Wings vs Leafs tilt in Ann Arbour looks like a winner, but generally speaking no, not a big fan of them and its because of the ridiculous venues. Sure there convenient & somewhat cost-effective but still, could really crank it up several notches with some beyond interesting venues & locations if they used some imagination. And now their just flooding the market with them. Milk that cash cow for all its worth. Cant say Im impressed.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I went to the Caps/Pens on...will likely never go again. The NHL is making this less special every year IMO.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:24 PM
cutchemist42

I agree Killion. The NHL is so infatuated with huge and terrible stadiums that nothing unique will ever happen sadly. You would think if an Austrian league at the time could pull it off, the NHL could earn money on a unique location as well

Old
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

^That must have been a nice experience. Looks great.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
This is a similar issue they had with Montreal vs. Calgary. No one cares. Talent wise, both are likely the best of the Canadian teams, but most would prefer a heated rivalry. It does no service Vancouver and Ottawa have not even played one another in well over a year. They should have gone with Edmonton or Ottawa/Toronto. Hell, Vancouver/Toronto would have some bite to it.

Nevertheless, tickets will move as March draws near, although I do suspect the NHL will be a tad disappointed with the result.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well the Las Vegas temp arena was 13,000, how much would that have cost?
I don't know of the specifics but I suspect it's a re-occurring event so they probably have much of the equipment located near the area and they've already optimized the way in terms of efficiency in how to stage the event in that particular environment since I believe they've had their exhibition game over a few years.

Quote:
I guess what I want to know is how much tv revenue alone these games earn? Could you not charge a bigger premium for an 18,000 seat temp stadium while cutting out the cheaper upper bowl tickets that cost more to service? Ciykd yiu earn more in tv revenue due to the actual uniqueness of the event?
How much would it cost to set up an 18K seat temp stadium in a comparatively remote location like a Whistler (which is about a two hours drive from Vancouver). You've got infrastructure issues and accommodation issues. Hotel space and logistics for people to get there even with only "18K." BC Place is located in the heart of downtown, with the Hotels (for the out of town visitors) and Mass Transit and parking.

Quote:
I honestly think tv numbers will start dwindling for these events once the college football playoff comes, and they need something to make it even watchable, which its not now.
The Vancouver Event won't take place until after the College Football Season is over and after the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Oh ya, for sure you can stage an outdoor game in practically any climate, Nevada, Arizona, wherever, portable bleachers & seating, dressing rooms etc. Personally I got bored with the stadium games a few years back, the odd one interesting me, like the AHL playing at Ivor Wynne in Hamilton, the up-coming Wings vs Leafs tilt in Ann Arbour looks like a winner, but generally speaking no, not a big fan of them and its because of the ridiculous venues. Sure there convenient & somewhat cost-effective but still, could really crank it up several notches with some beyond interesting venues & locations if they used some imagination. And now their just flooding the market with them. Milk that cash cow for all its worth. Cant say Im impressed.
For a one-time event that occurs maybe every decade or maybe five years, it will work in Vancouver. Especially if they tie-in an alumni game with former Canucks "greats" like Bure and Linden, who haven't skated in "alumni" games as a Canucks, so it would be good for nostalgia reasons to host them ever so often because to be honest, I'm probably just as interested if not more so, to see a 1/2 speed Bure on the ice one more time than the actual game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
This is a similar issue they had with Montreal vs. Calgary. No one cares. Talent wise, both are likely the best of the Canadian teams, but most would prefer a heated rivalry. It does no service Vancouver and Ottawa have not even played one another in well over a year. They should have gone with Edmonton or Ottawa/Toronto. Hell, Vancouver/Toronto would have some bite to it.

Nevertheless, tickets will move as March draws near, although I do suspect the NHL will be a tad disappointed with the result.
I think the event will sell-out and the promotion actually starts going during the course of the season. Right now, the NHL and Canucks for that matter has done very little in this regards and I don't think it's really necessary to put too much into marketing when it would be more optimal to do it when the season actually begins.

I wonder if they will tie-in the Bure Number Retirement Jersey Ceremony at or around the time of the Heritage Classic? Instead of 18K seeing it in person, we can have over 50K witnessing it live (making it the largest Jersey Retirement Ceremony in history).

Last edited by Betamax*: 08-28-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: that particular environment
Old
08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
You would think if an Austrian league at the time could pull it off, the NHL could earn money on a unique location as well.
Ya, see, you could build a temporary structure like this somewhere in Ottawa or out in Kanata for example, going full on Gladiator, absolutely packing the faux Coliseum.

... then playing it to the hilt, Gary Bettman or Eugene Melnyk acting as off-ice Ref.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:19 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Ya, see, you could build a temporary structure like this somewhere in Ottawa or out in Kanata for example, going full on Gladiator, absolutely packing the faux Coliseum.

... then playing it to the hilt, Gary Bettman or Eugene Melnyk acting as off-ice Ref.

MVP of game gets to yell out the "Are you not entertained!?"

Old
08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
MVP of game gets to yell out the "Are you not entertained!?"
... yep. Play it up to the Maximus.

And you could easily come up with natural themes & locations in all 30 markets no problem. Imagine what you could do with Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Winnipeg etc etc etc. Make it a "real" event. Worth the price of admission & then some.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
... yep. Play it up to the Maximus.

And you could easily come up with natural themes & locations in all 30 markets no problem. Imagine what you could do with Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Winnipeg etc etc etc. Make it a "real" event. Worth the price of admission & then some.
I guess that could be stage two, once they exhaust the existing football/baseball stadium options and milk it for all its worth!

Old
08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
I guess that could be stage two, once they exhaust the existing football/baseball stadium options and milk it for all its worth!
Arguably they may well have already done so, Elsie ready for retirement out on the back 40. Oversaturation of what is essentially a mediocre event at best doesnt have much shelf life. I say kick it up several notches or trim back on the number of Outdoor Classics to like 2 per annum tops. Maybe include the All Star Game as well, though Skills Competitions you'd want in the host cities arena.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM
BeardedCanuck

vCash: 309
Quote:

Not sure if you just meant we should build a faux coliseum for it, but just to make it clear that game was done in a 2000 year old coliseum in Croatia.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentknfei View Post
Not sure if you just meant we should build a faux coliseum for it, but just to make it clear that game was done in a 2000 year old coliseum in Croatia.
Indeed, and well aware they played that game in the real deal. No, Im suggesting a set, like they build for films. Doing a Coliseum pretty straightforward.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
BeardedCanuck

vCash: 309
Quote:
Indeed, and well aware they played that game in the real deal. No, Im suggesting a set, like they build for films. Doing a Coliseum pretty straightforward.
Yea even a set would be pretty awesome, just wanted to make sure, and to point it out because, hadn't seen it pointed out besides the pictures do didn't, want people coming in here later thinking it was just a set.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Forever27

The prices are ridiculous. No ******* kidding they aren't selling well. I was excited to go to this because I thought that the worst tickets might start at $40-50, knowing full well that I'd be paying more than the view and venue is worth to soak in the atmosphere. But at $100 for the worst seats? No ******* way.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentknfei View Post
Yea even a set would be pretty awesome, just wanted to make sure, and to point it out because, hadn't seen it pointed out besides the pictures do didn't, want people coming in here later thinking it was just a set.
Oh ok, and no, that locations the Real McCoy. 110% Genuine Ancient Ruin of a Coliseum. Absolutely stunningly beautiful site to be playing an outdoor game. In Vancouver provided Mother Nature cooperated & we didnt get rained on, you could conceivably build-in temporary bleacher seats in re-configuring Nat Bailey Stadium, which as is has held close to 9000. You could double that no problem & then some. Swangard in Burnaby another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
The prices are ridiculous. No ******* kidding they aren't selling well. I was excited to go to this because I thought that the worst tickets might start at $40-50...
Ya well thats just it. Most people are familiar with BC Place Stadium. They know "nose bleeds" mean nose bleeds. If reasonably priced then ok, but not at $100++ (parking possibly or Skytrain it I guess, but add drinks, food etc etc, easily drop $300+ between 2 people). Yep. Welcome to BC. Bring Cash.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Ya well thats just it. Most people are familiar with BC Place Stadium. They know "nose bleeds" mean nose bleeds. If reasonably priced then ok, but not at $100++ (parking possibly or Skytrain it I guess, but add drinks, food etc etc, easily drop $300+ between 2 people). Yep. Welcome to BC. Bring Cash.
Well, on a more positive note, for the "nose bleed" spectators least the TV experience via their upgraded jumbotrons at BC Place will be almost as good if not better than what they would experience if they just saw it at home in their couch!

re:

Source: http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index....-upgrades.html

Quote:
Our 4-sided centre hung video board, including two sideline screens which measure 68 by 38 feet each, displays High Definition video to virtually every seat in the house. Weighing 100,000 pounds, the entire entertainment unit may be raised to the roof or lowered to the floor, depending on the event or game requirements.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
What type of event would it be good for if it's lowered to the floor?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker MacDonald View Post
Quidditch

Old
08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Oh ok, and no, that locations the Real McCoy. 110% Genuine Ancient Ruin of a Coliseum. Absolutely stunningly beautiful site to be playing an outdoor game. In Vancouver provided Mother Nature cooperated & we didnt get rained on, you could conceivably build-in temporary bleacher seats in re-configuring Nat Bailey Stadium, which as is has held close to 9000. You could double that no problem & then some. Swangard in Burnaby another possibility.
I think the ship has sailed for a true "open air" Heritage Game in Vancouver when the Whitecaps FC couldn't get the go-ahead to have their soccer specific Waterfront Stadium and was in effect, "forced" to play at BC Place which has turned out to be pretty good for them after the fact.

Judging from Whitecaps FC President, Bob Lenarduzzi's recent comments, those stadium plans are in the back burner and they are pretty much committed to playing at BC Place for quite a long time. Which makes sense, because of the potential upside of being able to have crowds that would be double of what any soccer specific stadium would have brought.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
It's a good thing there's still half a year left to sell tickets. At $100 a ticket (or more), it's not surprising that people would want to wait to see if prices drop or if they will even have the money to spend on it come March.

08-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think the ship has sailed for a true "open air" Heritage Game in Vancouver when the Whitecaps FC... Judging from Whitecaps FC President, Bob Lenarduzzi's recent comments, those stadium plans are in the back burner and they are pretty much committed to playing at BC Place for quite a long time.
Ya, and as you mention, "backburner" but definitely still simmering. Pretty innovate & dynamic concept, design. Location incredible. The field & seating etc on a raised platform over rail & transit lines right in the heart of old Gastown, the North Shore Mountains in the horizon looking out over Coal Harbour. Like an infinity pool only for soccer specifically. Pretty spectacular. Cant see that plan being mothballed permanently so I guess we'll see. Would make for an awesome Outdoor Game, but again, inclement weather, raining as it usually does through the winter months, problematic.

Old
09-01-2013, 01:45 AM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker MacDonald View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
Quidditch
Roller derby.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
jammyrft

Out of all the teams Vancouver could be playing. Boston, Chicago, any Alberta team, Habs, leafs, Kings etc but we're playing Ottawa (Nothing against Ott but Van has no vested interest in that team AT ALL)

Not to mention very very expensive tickets, expensive parking, over priced beer, food and a stadium not built for hockey

NHL is striking out here. There was a chance to sell 60,000 seats but they're trying to squeeze the life out of Vancouverites just because its hockey.

Premium seats could have been priced accordingly. But what about the other 30,000 seats where people could actually afford to go and not spend an arm & leg. Could have made those tickets $20 so family's can go. PATHETIC

The way I see it if you make the event cheap for people to go, they'll have more money to buy jerseys, merchandise, food, beer, local restaurants etc... Considering this one game could cost an average day out (parking, 2 tickets, food, couple of beers) anywhere from $250-$700 depending on the tickets you buy $93-$300+) it's really not worth it.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I think the event will sell-out and the promotion actually starts going during the course of the season. Right now, the NHL and Canucks for that matter has done very little in this regards and I don't think it's really necessary to put too much into marketing when it would be more optimal to do it when the season actually begins.

I wonder if they will tie-in the Bure Number Retirement Jersey Ceremony at or around the time of the Heritage Classic? Instead of 18K seeing it in person, we can have over 50K witnessing it live (making it the largest Jersey Retirement Ceremony in history).

Now that would be memorable and an excellent way to mend fences with Bure after all past ownership did to screw him over.

Closed Thread