HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Broker: Vancouver Heritage Classic tickets not selling well

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
DJ Omnimaga

vCash: 500
Maybe just move the team to Seattle or Quebec?

Old
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Open roof = raining during a semi-outdoor game.
Closed roof = a regular indoor hockey game with a worse ice surface.
But that would be an issue any month. March has the least amount of average precipatation in Vancouver in any month during hockey season, outside of April.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
But that would be an issue any month. March has the least amount of average precipatation in Vancouver in any month during hockey season, outside of April.
Ya. And certainly youd want to consider that when staging an outdoor game however, precipitations heavy regardless & even planning it for March, you just dont know. Sketchy at best. Was a big concern during the 2010 Games as you know. When its nice out here its stunning, perfect conditions. But it can change within hours. You watch the weather reports on TV or whatever, well, if I had nickle for every time they got it wrong.... Get patterns from Alaska, up from Mexico, the Coast Mountains with their own unique climate, like being in a constant spin cycle being buffeted 3 ways & unfortunately much of it grey & almost always wet. Periodically over the last 100yrs Trout Lake & Lost Lagoon have frozen allowing public skating & hockey, but thats been very rare & less frequent what with climate change. Really, the NHL & the Canucks had no choice but BC Place.

Old
02-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Rocko604
KEEP SINDEN OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I was curious when it was first announced and would have gone just to soak up the atmosphere, but once the prices came out it was pretty easy to make the decision to not go. NHL got greedy, plain and simple. They thought they could take advantage of a ravenous hockey market and assumed the public was too stupid to actually exercise any self-control. There is a lot of money in Vancouver but it's also a very expensive city to live in, there are very few families that could drop the kind of money that the NHL was asking them to. A family of 4 would be very thrifty and lucky if they could take in that event and all the trappings that come with it for under $600 dollars. That might change with these sales, but if they're anything like me, they've earmarked that money for something else already.

Could've been a wonderful event for families who normally can't get to Canuck games, but instead the NHL tried to gouge them and made it even less affordable than a regular Canuck game.

Edit: Looked up the cheapest ticket package available with that 20% family discount. My total still came to $500.00 after fees and taxes for 4 tickets. Add parking, food and other miscellaneous expenses and you're closer to $700 when it's all said and done.
Check Stub Hub. Lots of tickets under $100 if you don't mind being near the top of the upper bowl.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
thebigbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Check Stub Hub. Lots of tickets under $100 if you don't mind being near the top of the upper bowl.
damn... scalpers losing big time... those cost like $140... and sellers only getting around $60 back after fees on those tickets

Old
02-20-2014, 03:00 AM
BoHorvatFan

Our owners are very greedy, when I saw the ticket prices I laughed, no chance hunty I'm not paying that much to sit that far away from a game that won't even have a great atmosphere it's still an indoor game, just with seats that are way farther away than normal. The match up isn't even exciting, two non playoff teams with no rivalry at all playing on worse ice than usual? ew.

Old
02-20-2014, 03:50 AM
skeena1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Our owners are very greedy, when I saw the ticket prices I laughed, no chance hunty I'm not paying that much to sit that far away from a game that won't even have a great atmosphere it's still an indoor game, just with seats that are way farther away than normal. The match up isn't even exciting, two non playoff teams with no rivalry at all playing on worse ice than usual? ew.
Sorry to burst your bubble but its the NHL that gets the gate receipts from these games. They pay the home team a fee roughly the equivalent of a regular home game's gate.

That said, I agree with pretty much everything else you say.

Old
02-21-2014, 04:25 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
Maybe the US is a better hockey market !!
The need to lower the price to a couple of used losing lottery tickets.

Old
02-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

It was a dumb idea anyway.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:42 PM
cutchemist42

A computer glitch problem leads to an unfortunate incident....

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/glitch-promises...eams-1.1707758

Old
03-01-2014, 03:42 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

I assume the game is being promoted more in Vancouver, but I'm wondering is the NHL doing a good enough job of promoting the Heritage Classic across the league? For example on the NHL Network they are on set in Chicago at Soldier Field for the Stadium Series game between the Blackhawks and Penguins, however I don't see them doing that for the Heritage Classic.

Old
03-01-2014, 03:44 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I assume the game is being promoted more in Vancouver, but I'm wondering is the NHL doing a good enough job of promoting the Heritage Classic across the league? For example on the NHL Network they are on set in Chicago at Soldier Field for the Stadium Series game between the Blackhawks and Penguins, however I don't see them doing that for the Heritage Classic.
I don't think they're advertising that much in Vancouver. I've heard it talked about on the local news, but even then they mention how interest is fairly low. I think the NHL's just mailing it in and hoping for the best. They thought it would be an easy cash grab (Almost like the Bills in Toronto, but with a local team) and I think they'll be happy when it's over.

Old
03-01-2014, 03:55 AM
BoHorvatFan

cash grab is right thats all it is.

they think because we pay $200 to sit in the upper deck watching crappy hockey in our normal arena we'll pay even more to sit even farther away from the ice to watch even crappier hockey in a stupid dome.

Old
03-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

It's interesting to hear the arguments that the game "isn't being promoted enough" in Vancouver/in Canada - meanwhile, in any threads about troubled teams being moved noth of the border, the refrain is that hockey doesn't need promoting in Canada; the tickets sell themselves. Convenient how that's changed.

Old
03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
It's interesting to hear the arguments that the game "isn't being promoted enough" in Vancouver/in Canada - meanwhile, in any threads about troubled teams being moved noth of the border, the refrain is that hockey doesn't need promoting in Canada; the tickets sell themselves. Convenient how that's changed.
Don't really see the connection. Unless you have binoculars, most people at this game will be watching it on the scoreboard. Might as well be home watching on a TV.

This isn't the case of hockey not being popular in Vancouver. It's the case of the owners/NHL trying to take advantage of fans over the last few years (this game isn't the only example of it).

Old
03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Don't really see the connection. Unless you have binoculars, most people at this game will be watching it on the scoreboard. Might as well be home watching on a TV.
Gimme a break.

Quote:
This isn't the case of hockey not being popular in Vancouver. It's the case of the owners/NHL trying to take advantage of fans over the last few years (this game isn't the only example of it).
So disagreeing with the cost of something is now the same as being taken advantage of?

Old
03-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
So you're comparing one game in Vancouver to the lifetime of a franchise in, for example, Phoenix?

Old
03-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Gimme a break.

So disagreeing with the cost of something is now the same as being taken advantage of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
So you're comparing one game in Vancouver to the lifetime of a franchise in, for example, Phoenix?
How is buck aki wrong though? This game should have been sold out. I bet the Leafs would have, even at awful BMO.

Old
03-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Rocko604
KEEP SINDEN OUT!

Quote:
Quote:
Gimme a break.
RTN isn't exactly wrong. Have you seen the scoreboard in person? No doubt people will be watching that if their sightlines are bad. Even if you're at centre field, that scoreboard is right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
How is buck aki wrong though? This game should have been sold out. I bet the Leafs would have, even at awful BMO.
Because even at awful BMO field, it's still an outdoor game. If BC Place was a true outdoor stadium, then yes I'd expect the game to be sold out too. I can see where some Canucks coming from in that respect. They're basically going from one indoor arena to an indoor stadium with a small hole in the roof with ticket prices pretty much doubled. I know quite a few Canucks fans more than I know Sens fans, and yet the only people I know who are going are the Sens fans.

Last edited by Rocko604: 03-01-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old
03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
thebigbea

after what is happening with the weather is chicago/pitts game... and looking like will snow in vancouver, glad it's under roof... seriously no one wanna sit in the cold for whole game and freeze to death..

Old
03-01-2014, 08:57 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:

I was mostly referring to the behind the scenes political pressure they've tried to put on Vancouver and Abbotsford in relation to the buildings they're putting up around the arena and the concessions they were asking for when attempting to buy the Heat. But, yes, on top of that ticket prices have risen too high while on-ice quality has fallen, which I think is them taking advantage of season ticket holders (people who buy single game tickets have more choice in whether or not to attend a game).

The definition of "take advantage of" is "to profit selfishly by; exploit," which I think sums up what they've tried to do in the last 2-3 years.

And, yes, much of the stadium will probably be watching this on the screen for most of the game. The fans on the ends might not, but only because those screens are so much smaller. The centre screens are very large and hard to avoid.

Last edited by RTN: 03-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old
03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
cutchemist42

So I'm guessing this ended up sold out with cheaper/given-away tickets for the tv audience?

Old
03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
VanCanucks14

I don't know if it did end up being sold out. Last time about a few days ago they said it was 90% sold out so I'm guessing it's about 95% sold out now. They never did slash the ticket prices though. Yesterday and today the prices remained pretty sky high.

Old
03-02-2014, 03:10 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
is the game sold out

03-02-2014, 03:17 PM
VanCanucks14

Looks full so yes I'm going with sold out.

Closed Thread