HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Pax Macioretty

vCash: 500
Please play him with Subban!

Old
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
You'd have rather Tinordi out there playing the tough guys and potentially getting broken like Komisarek was? No way. Bringing Murray helps us making sure that Tinordi will never play THAT role in the next year for us.

People severely underrate his great PK abilities too. Seriously. This is the kind of addition our PK could use.
If Tinordi has a great camp and outplays the rest, then I don't see why we should send him down. He had a taste of the NHL last year and for what it was he did fairly well.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Maybe it was just a brilliant ploy by Bergevin to put Subban to the test.

"Oh yeah, win a Norris with Murray..."

Old
08-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
You want Murray to be on the 1st pairing? Are you nuts?

Old
08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
That would be a mistake IMO. Murray isn't very reliable defensively either and not fast enough to keep up with Subban. The best D to play with Murray is probably Gorges

Old
08-22-2013, 04:48 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That would be a mistake IMO. Murray isn't very reliable defensively either and not fast enough to keep up with Subban. The best D to play with Murray is probably Gorges
Gorges plays too many important minutes to be paired with Murray. I think Diaz would be perfect with Murray, especially given that Raphael is a very mobile defenseman.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
If by Subban you mean Diaz, then yeah, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164
Gorges plays too many important minutes to be paired with Murray. I think Diaz would be perfect with Murray, especially given that Raphael is a very mobile defenseman.
Diaz and Murray would complement each other well on a low ES minute 3rd pairing. They have completely opposite skillsets.

The ''bad'' thing with Murray being on the team is it means Tinordi won't make it as a regular this season, which isn't dramatic imho. Next season neither Bouillon or Murray are going to be back and will be replaced full time by Tinordi and Beaulieu. In the meantime they are going to get a lot of ice time anchoring Hamilton's blueline and get call-ups depending on who needs replacing.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Tinordi has a great camp and outplays the rest, then I don't see why we should send him down. He had a taste of the NHL last year and for what it was he did fairly well.
The NHL might not be the best place for him to try timely crushing hits, defend his teammates and develop his nasty side. Do you want a Hal Gill or you want a nasty, tough mother ****er out there? Because if his physical game stays where it's at, really, I can't say Tinordi would have turned out the way I hoped.

There are still elements of his game that need to be worked on in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL might not be a disastrous decision, but to say he would waste his time in the AHL? No such thing. He could still greatly improve his confidence and ability to be physical and play on the edge in a much slower-paced league.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Another article on Murray's decline, written at the trade deadline: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1484
Yet Doug bagged 2 goals -1 asst for Pens in playoffs.

I mean come on Mathman,its a 1.5 million dollar player...not 4.5 million....ok?

Heck Hall Gill was on decline first year in Montreal, he still gave us good work...
Souray was done said so many as he played away in Ahl,he gave Dallas and the Ducks good service..

Doug got gas left in his tank,AND this is his first tiime in a big hockey mad market...
When the man starts hitting, listen to.the Bell Centre fans....Murray will be a fan favorite.

..He is playing for a contract,so will get the best of what he has.

Last edited by Habaneros: 08-22-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Shero getting laughably fleeced because he ridiculously overvalued Murray does not excuse Bergevin.
This is a very good deal for Bergevin. He's going to be a 6th dman who provides a dimension we don't have, I think your e pectstions for what a 6 th dman should be is most likely out in left field.

This is a good move, I'm not particularly fond of Murray, but he'll do what he's supposed to.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The NHL might not be the best place for him to try timely crushing hits, defend his teammates and develop his nasty side. Do you want a Hal Gill or you want a nasty, tough mother ****er out there? Because if his physical game stays where it's at, really, I can't say Tinordi would have turned out the way I hoped.

There are still elements of his game that need to be worked on in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL might not be a disastrous decision, but to say he would waste his time in the AHL? No such thing. He could still greatly improve his confidence and ability to be physical and play on the edge in a much slower-paced league.
One of the hunters kind of eluded to that this summer in a radio interview saying that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Tinordi because we haven't seen his physical side yet.

Same thing with Tinordi he mentioned something about just trying to stay up with the team so he just tried not to mess up, now he wants to establish his role on the team.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:55 PM
ChoseLa

Drewiski would be lucky to even play a hockey game this season:

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gorges
Diaz
Bouillon
Tinordi
Murray

Are all ahead of him and it wouldn't take much for Pateryn to get ahead of him even at pre-season camp. And i'm counting that Beaulieu wouldn't be considered. Emelin should miss a month wich isn't a big enough window for injuries to hit the team that enough defencemens would be out for him to play on a third pairing.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:56 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

So :

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Diaz
Bouillon-Drewiske

Call-ups :

1.Tinordi 2. Beaulieu 3. Pateryn

Does that look pretty realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa
Drewiski would be lucky to even play a hockey game this season:
We'll have to have lots of injuries, to say the least. Perhaps we won't call up players if some guys are only day-to-day and/or with the flu.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Another article on Murray's decline, written at the trade deadline: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1484
we GET it, you dont LIKE the signing, ..so why keep visiting the thread??

Old
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Gally11

Quote:
It's one year 1.5 mil to give us a physical dimension to our blueline while Emelin recovers.. I don't think this helps you prove your point at all.. Obviously he's declining so has his salary and term along with it lol

Old
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I mean come on Mathman,its a 1.5 million dollar player...not 4.5 million....ok?
I get that, but he's a 900k value player the Habs didn't really need being paid 1.5M and with the org possibly thinking he can play top-4 minutes when he should be a pressbox spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
This is a very good deal for Bergevin. He's going to be a 6th dman who provides a dimension we don't have, I think your e pectstions for what a 6 th dman should be is most likely out in left field.
My expectations for a 6th defenseman are about Bouillon-level. I would've hoped for Bergevin to acquire a better player than him. Murray isn't significantly better than Bouillon, if at all.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
we GET it, you dont LIKE the signing, ..so why keep visiting the thread??
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?

Old
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
ChoseLa

I've been saying that Murray is now too slow to play for a playoff team, on a loosing team he'd just be a regular 6th/7th defencemen. I'm counting on him to shed some weight and be back at his 2011-2012 form for the upcoming season : wich means a good 6th defencemen.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
One of the hunters kind of eluded to that this summer in a radio interview saying that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Tinordi because we haven't seen his physical side yet.

Same thing with Tinordi he mentioned something about just trying to stay up with the team so he just tried not to mess up, now he wants to establish his role on the team.
Establish his role or not, the NHL is significantly quicker than the AHL. And he didn't show much of his heavy-hitting prowesses in his stints with the big club. I'd rather him build some confidence, do it in the AHL with more regularity, and then coming in the NHL with this part of his game being integral to the player.

In the NHL, he puts himself into position for a big hit and he misses it; that's it. No more confidence. No time to adjust since it's a competitive league.

Getting him back in the AHL might be a good thing for the VERY reason that he saw some NHL action and knows what to expect.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?
Its ok if you don't like the signing. We got it the first time.

You don't have to constantly come here to try convincing everyone you hold the sole and only truth or worse, insult our intelligence by claiming he's not even an NHL defensemen.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I've been saying that Murray is now too slow to play for a playoff team, on a loosing team he'd just be a regular 6th/7th defencemen. I'm counting on him to shed some weight and be back at his 2011-2012 form for the upcoming season : wich means a good 6th defencemen.
Too slow for playoff team? He does have 72 games of playoffs exp...he did get 2 goals and 1 asst last year in playoffs with Pens.....only puts him 6 career playoffs points behind Andrei Markov....
Habs got put out in playoffs last year,wasnt because of slow......

Old
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

vCash: 905
I like the signing, he's a stopgap, a bit like Briere, he'll provide something we didn't have enough, and while he's very slow, at least forwards will watch themselves when coming down his side. But still, I wonder what the heck is happening with people crying about the fact that he's signed for 1.5M$ for 1 year. Calm the **** down...

We do have an awful lot of defensemen though, and Tinordi's not going to begin the season with us either. Wonder if one will get dealt...

Old
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

Such an awesome ****ing signing. Why the Pens didn't re-sign him at that cap hit and then trade Niskanen ($2.3M) I'll never know. ****ing L-O-V-E-D this guy when he was on the Pens.

Old
dackelljuneaubulis02

how many minutes was he getting in Pittsburgh?

Maybe with a decreased work load he can be more effective?

Even if he's extremely slow, we do get tougher and we get a crease clearer. Two things we need. Plus the buying time for Tinordi thing, I realy like. If he's paired with Diaz or Cube than he should be alright.

I can't see this not being a plus. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Drewiske surprises. He might've just not been able to adjust to our system quick enough. I think our D depth is in very good shape.

Old
Habsterix*

Only one year, only $1,5M, adding toughness at the blue line. Definitely a low risk move. He'll likely play sheltered minutes and on the PK.

I don't see why someone would lose sleep over that. Must be in the "bash Bergevin" agenda I guess...

Closed Thread