HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2013, 04:41 PM
  #376
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 17,539
vCash: 500
Please play him with Subban!

Pax Macioretty is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
  #377
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 32,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
You'd have rather Tinordi out there playing the tough guys and potentially getting broken like Komisarek was? No way. Bringing Murray helps us making sure that Tinordi will never play THAT role in the next year for us.

People severely underrate his great PK abilities too. Seriously. This is the kind of addition our PK could use.
If Tinordi has a great camp and outplays the rest, then I don't see why we should send him down. He had a taste of the NHL last year and for what it was he did fairly well.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
  #378
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Please play him with Subban!
Maybe it was just a brilliant ploy by Bergevin to put Subban to the test.

"Oh yeah, win a Norris with Murray..."

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:44 PM
  #379
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 32,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Please play him with Subban!
You want Murray to be on the 1st pairing? Are you nuts?

Kriss E is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
  #380
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 35,589
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Please play him with Subban!
That would be a mistake IMO. Murray isn't very reliable defensively either and not fast enough to keep up with Subban. The best D to play with Murray is probably Gorges

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:48 PM
  #381
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That would be a mistake IMO. Murray isn't very reliable defensively either and not fast enough to keep up with Subban. The best D to play with Murray is probably Gorges
Gorges plays too many important minutes to be paired with Murray. I think Diaz would be perfect with Murray, especially given that Raphael is a very mobile defenseman.

SB164 is online now  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
  #382
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,218
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Please play him with Subban!
If by Subban you mean Diaz, then yeah, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164
Gorges plays too many important minutes to be paired with Murray. I think Diaz would be perfect with Murray, especially given that Raphael is a very mobile defenseman.
Diaz and Murray would complement each other well on a low ES minute 3rd pairing. They have completely opposite skillsets.

The ''bad'' thing with Murray being on the team is it means Tinordi won't make it as a regular this season, which isn't dramatic imho. Next season neither Bouillon or Murray are going to be back and will be replaced full time by Tinordi and Beaulieu. In the meantime they are going to get a lot of ice time anchoring Hamilton's blueline and get call-ups depending on who needs replacing.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  #383
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Tinordi has a great camp and outplays the rest, then I don't see why we should send him down. He had a taste of the NHL last year and for what it was he did fairly well.
The NHL might not be the best place for him to try timely crushing hits, defend his teammates and develop his nasty side. Do you want a Hal Gill or you want a nasty, tough mother ****er out there? Because if his physical game stays where it's at, really, I can't say Tinordi would have turned out the way I hoped.

There are still elements of his game that need to be worked on in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL might not be a disastrous decision, but to say he would waste his time in the AHL? No such thing. He could still greatly improve his confidence and ability to be physical and play on the edge in a much slower-paced league.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
  #384
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Another article on Murray's decline, written at the trade deadline: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1484
Yet Doug bagged 2 goals -1 asst for Pens in playoffs.

I mean come on Mathman,its a 1.5 million dollar player...not 4.5 million....ok?

Heck Hall Gill was on decline first year in Montreal, he still gave us good work...
Souray was done said so many as he played away in Ahl,he gave Dallas and the Ducks good service..

Doug got gas left in his tank,AND this is his first tiime in a big hockey mad market...
When the man starts hitting, listen to.the Bell Centre fans....Murray will be a fan favorite.

..He is playing for a contract,so will get the best of what he has.


Last edited by Habaneros: 08-22-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Habaneros is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #385
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Shero getting laughably fleeced because he ridiculously overvalued Murray does not excuse Bergevin.
This is a very good deal for Bergevin. He's going to be a 6th dman who provides a dimension we don't have, I think your e pectstions for what a 6 th dman should be is most likely out in left field.

This is a good move, I'm not particularly fond of Murray, but he'll do what he's supposed to.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:54 PM
  #386
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The NHL might not be the best place for him to try timely crushing hits, defend his teammates and develop his nasty side. Do you want a Hal Gill or you want a nasty, tough mother ****er out there? Because if his physical game stays where it's at, really, I can't say Tinordi would have turned out the way I hoped.

There are still elements of his game that need to be worked on in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL might not be a disastrous decision, but to say he would waste his time in the AHL? No such thing. He could still greatly improve his confidence and ability to be physical and play on the edge in a much slower-paced league.
One of the hunters kind of eluded to that this summer in a radio interview saying that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Tinordi because we haven't seen his physical side yet.

Same thing with Tinordi he mentioned something about just trying to stay up with the team so he just tried not to mess up, now he wants to establish his role on the team.

Gally11 is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:55 PM
  #387
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 500
Drewiski would be lucky to even play a hockey game this season:

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gorges
Diaz
Bouillon
Tinordi
Murray

Are all ahead of him and it wouldn't take much for Pateryn to get ahead of him even at pre-season camp. And i'm counting that Beaulieu wouldn't be considered. Emelin should miss a month wich isn't a big enough window for injuries to hit the team that enough defencemens would be out for him to play on a third pairing.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  #388
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,218
vCash: 827
So :

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Diaz
Bouillon-Drewiske

Call-ups :

1.Tinordi 2. Beaulieu 3. Pateryn


Does that look pretty realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa
Drewiski would be lucky to even play a hockey game this season:
We'll have to have lots of injuries, to say the least. Perhaps we won't call up players if some guys are only day-to-day and/or with the flu.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  #389
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,127
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Another article on Murray's decline, written at the trade deadline: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1484
we GET it, you dont LIKE the signing, ..so why keep visiting the thread??

Redux91 is online now  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
  #390
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Another article on Murray's decline, written at the trade deadline: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1484
It's one year 1.5 mil to give us a physical dimension to our blueline while Emelin recovers.. I don't think this helps you prove your point at all.. Obviously he's declining so has his salary and term along with it lol

Gally11 is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
  #391
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I mean come on Mathman,its a 1.5 million dollar player...not 4.5 million....ok?
I get that, but he's a 900k value player the Habs didn't really need being paid 1.5M and with the org possibly thinking he can play top-4 minutes when he should be a pressbox spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
This is a very good deal for Bergevin. He's going to be a 6th dman who provides a dimension we don't have, I think your e pectstions for what a 6 th dman should be is most likely out in left field.
My expectations for a 6th defenseman are about Bouillon-level. I would've hoped for Bergevin to acquire a better player than him. Murray isn't significantly better than Bouillon, if at all.

MathMan is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
  #392
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
we GET it, you dont LIKE the signing, ..so why keep visiting the thread??
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?

MathMan is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
  #393
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 500
I've been saying that Murray is now too slow to play for a playoff team, on a loosing team he'd just be a regular 6th/7th defencemen. I'm counting on him to shed some weight and be back at his 2011-2012 form for the upcoming season : wich means a good 6th defencemen.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:01 PM
  #394
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
One of the hunters kind of eluded to that this summer in a radio interview saying that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Tinordi because we haven't seen his physical side yet.

Same thing with Tinordi he mentioned something about just trying to stay up with the team so he just tried not to mess up, now he wants to establish his role on the team.
Establish his role or not, the NHL is significantly quicker than the AHL. And he didn't show much of his heavy-hitting prowesses in his stints with the big club. I'd rather him build some confidence, do it in the AHL with more regularity, and then coming in the NHL with this part of his game being integral to the player.

In the NHL, he puts himself into position for a big hit and he misses it; that's it. No more confidence. No time to adjust since it's a competitive league.

Getting him back in the AHL might be a good thing for the VERY reason that he saw some NHL action and knows what to expect.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  #395
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,218
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?
Its ok if you don't like the signing. We got it the first time.

You don't have to constantly come here to try convincing everyone you hold the sole and only truth or worse, insult our intelligence by claiming he's not even an NHL defensemen.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  #396
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I've been saying that Murray is now too slow to play for a playoff team, on a loosing team he'd just be a regular 6th/7th defencemen. I'm counting on him to shed some weight and be back at his 2011-2012 form for the upcoming season : wich means a good 6th defencemen.
Too slow for playoff team? He does have 72 games of playoffs exp...he did get 2 goals and 1 asst last year in playoffs with Pens.....only puts him 6 career playoffs points behind Andrei Markov....
Habs got put out in playoffs last year,wasnt because of slow......

Habaneros is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
  #397
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?
 
L4br3cqu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,786
vCash: 905
I like the signing, he's a stopgap, a bit like Briere, he'll provide something we didn't have enough, and while he's very slow, at least forwards will watch themselves when coming down his side. But still, I wonder what the heck is happening with people crying about the fact that he's signed for 1.5M$ for 1 year. Calm the **** down...

We do have an awful lot of defensemen though, and Tinordi's not going to begin the season with us either. Wonder if one will get dealt...

L4br3cqu3 is online now  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  #398
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!
 
Coach Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,757
vCash: 500
Such an awesome ****ing signing. Why the Pens didn't re-sign him at that cap hit and then trade Niskanen ($2.3M) I'll never know. ****ing L-O-V-E-D this guy when he was on the Pens.

Coach Travis is offline  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  #399
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
how many minutes was he getting in Pittsburgh?

Maybe with a decreased work load he can be more effective?

Even if he's extremely slow, we do get tougher and we get a crease clearer. Two things we need. Plus the buying time for Tinordi thing, I realy like. If he's paired with Diaz or Cube than he should be alright.

I can't see this not being a plus. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Drewiske surprises. He might've just not been able to adjust to our system quick enough. I think our D depth is in very good shape.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now  
Old
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  #400
Habsterix*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,473
vCash: 500
Only one year, only $1,5M, adding toughness at the blue line. Definitely a low risk move. He'll likely play sheltered minutes and on the PK.

I don't see why someone would lose sleep over that. Must be in the "bash Bergevin" agenda I guess...

Habsterix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.