HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio
We do have an awful lot of defensemen though, and Tinordi's not going to begin the season with us either. Wonder if one will get dealt...
It definitely gives options to Bergevin. We have a lot of defense and center depth, two key positions most teams need. We can either acquire a bigger piece at the deadline or trade older assets for picks without even hurting the team much.

Bergevin is strengthening the organisation with moves like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich
Such an awesome ****ing signing. Why the Pens didn't re-sign him at that cap hit and then trade Niskanen ($2.3M) I'll never know. ****ing L-O-V-E-D this guy when he was on the Pens.
Thanks for your input. Its nice to know someone who actually watched him play and didn't solely rely on obscure statistics appreciated his work.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:07 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Too slow for playoff team? He does have 72 games of playoffs exp...he did get 2 goals and 1 asst last year in playoffs with Pens.....only puts him 6 career playoffs points behind Andrei Markov....
Habs got put out in playoffs last year,wasnt because of slow......
Well his career point total in PO doesn't change that he was a liability and slow as molasse in his stint with the Pens. I'm not against the signing, love the big meathead, i'm just saying last year performance won't cut it, we have to hope it was just a down year and he still has some good left hockey in him.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Douglas Murray is one of the worst D-men in the league. He's another marginal defenseman on a team that had already accumulated too many of them.

His only quality is that he's big. That's little consolation given that he's unable to provide NHL-quality defense.

If the notion that Marc Bergevin was some sort of excellent GM wasn't completely dispelled by his off-season so far, we should be free of this notion now.

I hope the front office will now cease to accumulate mistakes as sacrifices to the false idol of size.
You couldn't be more wrong. You could try but you'd fail. Like Hal Gill, Murray's true worth won't reveal itself until the playoffs. When the league throws out the rule book for the post season, you'll be glad he's punishing your opponents best players in front of your net.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
It definitely gives options to Bergevin. We have a lot of defense and center depth, two key positions most teams need. We can either acquire a bigger piece at the deadline or trade older assets for picks without even hurting the team much.

Bergevin is strengthening the organisation with moves like these.
Yep if it's a fluke year and we end up in the basement by TDL, Marc will have a lot of options to acquire picks and younger players. I mean Murray was acquired for 2 2nd rounders, hillarious.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Its ok if you don't like the signing. We got it the first time.

You don't have to constantly come here to try convincing everyone you hold the sole and only truth or worse, insult our intelligence by claiming he's not even an NHL defensemen.
What he said.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?
It's one thing to have discussions, it's one thing to analyze hockey moves 100% on micro-stats. It's completely useless.

If such a thing could be done, and you'd have been right with your numbers before, the Canadiens would've won the cup instead of Boston in 2011, and the abysmal start in 2011-2012 would have just been a rough patch, as you claimed that our losing record was purely due to bad luck.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

This signing means Tinordi will play in the AHL this season, what is a very good thing for his development..

Old
08-22-2013, 05:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

As a Swede, Murray could help Nygren with his transition to North America at least during camp or if Nygren sees any time in the NHL next season.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Its ok if you don't like the signing. We got it the first time.

You don't have to constantly come here to try convincing everyone you hold the sole and only truth or worse, insult our intelligence by claiming he's not even an NHL defensemen.
ignore him maybe? He's the only one with a different perspective on the signing. And he brings valid points. And that's with me liking this signing, for the same reasons everyone is: cross check people in the ribs when they get to close to price. But surely there are other things about this singing that can be discussed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
It's one thing to have discussions, it's one thing to analyze hockey moves 100% on micro-stats. It's completely useless.

If such a thing could be done, and you'd have been right with your numbers before, the Canadiens would've won the cup instead of Boston in 2011, and the abysmal start in 2011-2012 would have just been a rough patch, as you claimed that our losing record was purely due to bad luck.
This isn't about stats, if you don't like it ignore? i do enjoy other perspectives then the usual "Well i watched 400 more games then you, my opinion is valid"

MathMan engages in good discussions with many of our boards most knowledgeable posters, and that's a PLUS for everyone.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Shaby23

I hate this trade. This guy is so slowwwwww omg

Old
08-22-2013, 05:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
I wasn't under the impression that this was a praise-the-signing sort of thread. Isn't the point of these discussion forum things to have discussions?
Your contributions are very, very well received here, and we missed you when you went away. Don't bother responding to the mouth-breathers.

Your approach is very systematic and it's quite, different, than most of the rest of us. You're not always right because the fact is that "advanced" hockey stats - especially when it comes to things like scoring chances and whatnot - are not quite as accurate as moneyball stats in Baseball. But they're certainly much more important than older, more traditional fans and GMs want to give them credit for.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:22 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Douglas Murray is one of the worst D-men in the league. He's another marginal defenseman on a team that had already accumulated too many of them.

His only quality is that he's big. That's little consolation given that he's unable to provide NHL-quality defense.

If the notion that Marc Bergevin was some sort of excellent GM wasn't completely dispelled by his off-season so far, we should be free of this notion now.

I hope the front office will now cease to accumulate mistakes as sacrifices to the false idol of size.
Atleast MB only spent 1.5m on him....The pens signed Scuderi who is ultimately a similar player to Murray and they paid him 3.375m

Old
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I hate this trade. This guy is so slowwwwww omg
Ain't a trade bro, ain't a trade.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Tinordi has a great camp and outplays the rest, then I don't see why we should send him down. He had a taste of the NHL last year and for what it was he did fairly well.
and have guys like Cube, Drewiskie, Murray sent to the AHL ? we both know it's not going to happen. And the can't all be 7th D.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
ignore him maybe? He's the only one with a different perspective on the signing. And he brings valid points. And that's with me liking this signing, for the same reasons everyone is: cross check people in the ribs when they get to close to price. But surely there are other things about this singing that can be discussed?
Here is a more valid point on Doug Murray...
Why is Doug Murray's name on an 2014 Olymipic roster list?????
Anybody???

Sweden released its preliminary roster late Monday as it seeks to reclaim Olympic men's hockey gold at the Sochi Games in February 2014.

Defence
Jonas Brodin, Minnesota
Alexander Edler, Vancouver
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phoenix
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit,
Nicklas Grossman, Philadelphia
Erik Gustafsson, Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman, Tampa Bay
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Douglas Murray, Pittsburgh
Johnny Oduya, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey

Old
08-22-2013, 05:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Here is a more valid point on Doug Murray...
Why is Doug Murray's name on an 2014 Olymipic roster list?????
Anybody???
Sweden is not Canada. They only have so many defensemen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Old
08-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Hugo Sham

are people actually complaining about this signing? un ****ing believable.
6'3, 240 can hit and fight and will be paired with Diaz or Cube, in other words a skater and people are unhappy?

we've added parros, prust and murray to go along with moen and white and we're complaining? Bergevin understands we need to develop our talent and wants to surround the young guys with size and grit.

I'd still like a size upgrade in the top 6 but this is a good signing for 1.5 mill

Old
08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Sweden is not Canada. They only have so many defensemen.

Sweden is defending Champs....He is one on a list of 13 dman...his name certianally doesnt need to be there Mathman......So why is name there?What more do you know ?

Old
08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Stive Morgan
What?! No way!

vCash: 0
I can't remember the last time we had a Swede on the team (not counting call-ups like Engqvist)

Old
08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Does anyone know how many minutes he was getting in Pittsburgh?

Old
08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Sign a smaller, goal scoring winger to a two year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Sign a bigger, hard hitting defenseman to a one year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Welcome to Montreal, Douggie. The place where even if you're perfect, you still suck.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stive Morgan View Post
I can't remember the last time we had a Swede on the team (not counting call-ups like Engqvist)
Last time we had a swede and a big one was Mats Sundin....

Old
08-22-2013, 05:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Does anyone know how many minutes he was getting in Pittsburgh?
18:29 in the regular season, then 15:19 in the playoffs.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
jedimyrmidon

I can understand that some do not like this acquisition.

What I cannot understand is when some do not like this acquisition to the point where:

1) the 1.5M amount is seen as faaar too much for him because a) Douglas Murray is obviously not worth more than 900k (900k, I say!) if he were even worth any money at all because b) he's no longer an NHL defenseman (holy cow, that's taking it far)

MB, you dropped the ball

2) the 1.5M means that the cap structure is ruined. The Habs don't have any money play around with for bonuses and such. MB, man, you have no clue what you're doing, do you?

3) Did I mention that Murray is not an NHL Dman? There are articles arguing the point, and there is NO leeway for error. They are right. Any NHL GM who can't see this is incompetent. Oh, and don't even think of bringing up NHL GM's thinking he's still an NHL Dman as a sort of justification. There have been some pretty bad GMs and so obviously they cannot be relied upon to do much of anything right. Us armchair GMs see everything far more clearly. And besides, the 'appeal to authority' schtick won't get by me! I know all logical fallacies!

In my opinion, one can like or dislike the Murray deal, BUT there should be, I think, a REASONABLE amount of uncertainty in one's opinion that can allow for (i.e. a tolerance exists for) error on one's part, meaning the deal could, in fact, be good (or bad). In other words, I do not see how one could reasonably disagree with this deal so much that everything about it is wrong on many, many levels to the point where Bergevin's intelligence or credibility as an NHL GM is questioned.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Native

vCash: 605
i'm pleased with this signing. he simply fills a need that we have been sorely lacking. his shortcomings have been discussed ad nauseam. we get it.

if he's paired with a complementary partner, someone with obvious mobility, play within his limits, then he'll do just fine.

i think the shorten season affects players like him more. he's a big lug and with a regular length season, i believe he'll be sharper. i'm hoping he comes to camp in great shape, perhaps trim down 10-15 lbs.

when he's clearing bodies in front of the crease, i think many will be very glad he was signed. much like gill, many people were rolling their eyes, and yet, he came through for us.

welcome to montreal, crankshaft!

Closed Thread