HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Does anyone know how many minutes he was getting in Pittsburgh?
Averaging about 15 minutes. Highest in round one was 20 minutes and change while his lowest was just under 13 minutes.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Team_Spirit
SAINT RADULOV

vCash: 500
Solid pickup until Emelin is back.

Then trade him for a pick. Perfect.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
snakeye

Didn't read the whole thread, so sry if this has been mentioned, but what I'm concerned about are the following :

1) can he fight?

2) how much of the following does he bring?
A) intangibles
B) character
C) size
Thanks.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:40 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

To everyone saying Tinordi is not going to start the year with the Habs, then who does Bergevin plan to add back there until Emelin is back, Habs carry 8th dmen

1Subban, 2Gorges, 3Markov, 4Bouillon, 5Daiz, 6Murray, 7DD...

Still an open spot for Tinordi and you have have Bouillon and Murray split time being the 6th 7th dmen.

Tinodri's chances are actually pretty high, he showed that he can also play on RD something Murray can't do, and a position MT doesn't want Bouillon playing.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Disappearing Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Sign a smaller, goal scoring winger to a two year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Sign a bigger, hard hitting defenseman to a one year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Welcome to Montreal, Douggie. The place where even if you're perfect, you still suck.
Pretty much, the only good trade/acquisition Montreal could be possibly do would be a 6'5 centre who scores 150 points, fights 20 times a year and has a 1.00 SV%

Old
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Didn't read the whole thread, so sry if this has been mentioned, but what I'm concerned about are the following :

1) can he fight?

2) how much of the following does he bring?
A) intangibles
B) character
Thanks.
I'll answer #1:

Yes

Last edited by LLoyd Christmas I: 08-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old
Team_Spirit
SAINT RADULOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
MathMan,

The problem with only having puck-moving Dmen is that not all of them are good enough to win puck battles. The Habs towards the end of the season were getting absolutely massacred in their own zone and along the boards. Coupled with their Swarm defense-style, other teams were able to easily retrieve the puck and get quality shots on Price: they could walk in with impunity, take their time to place a shot, or just crash his crease. The Habs couldn't do anything about it.

So yes, ideally the Habs would get a guy like Chara who is a physical monster and has offense to his game... But seriously, who else out there fits that bill (even remotely) and wouldn't cost a fortune? When talking about a #5 or #6 Dman, the guys available usually have some weaknesses - they're almost always one dimensional in some way. You seem to prefer the PMD variety like Kaberle or Weber who fold in their own zone.

The reputation that the Habs are easily pushed around is real. It's not entirely deserved (the Habs have Subban and Emelin, two of the best open ice hitters in the game, and have Pacs, Eller and Galchenyuk now with guys like Bourque; Pleks can definitely play hockey), but the need for grit and physicality on the backend is a true need, not just a perceived one. I'm almost convinced Habs players tend to get injured because other teams hit to injure directly due to the Habs' reputation of being soft, i.e., other teams take liberties and feel emboldened against the Habs. Bergevin got a guy like Bouillon who isn't soft, but also isn't big enough to intimidate others or stick up for teammates.

Why does it seem like things devolve into a gongshow far more often with the Habs than for other teams (other than perhaps Pitt and Philly)? The Sens-Habs playoff series was supposed to be a good, civil one seeing as both teams hadn't really faced off against each other. Instead, the Habs get sucked once again into the hit-fest and obviously come out on the short end.
One of the few quality post in this thread.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
De Montreal
help

this is suucchhhh a good news for Hamilton

Tinordi - Dietz
Beaulieu-Pateryn
Nygren-Ellis

Old
08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Saundies

I'm not going to pretend that I've scouted Douglas Murray for years now and know exactly what he's going to bring to the table, but a one-year, 1.5 million dollar deal for a big, depth D-man is nothing to cry over. By the sounds of things, he's a good hitter and a very good guy to have on the PK. Imagine him and Gorges killing all of our penalties on the first wave, that can do nothing but help us in that regard.

Plus I don't understand how some fans could like Hal Gill so much and then cry about this signing. There is no way, despite what some people say, that Murray is slower than Gill was. And if he brings the same effectiveness on the PK that Gill did (because their offensive skills are about equal, aka "non-existant") then what is exactly wrong with this signing?

Imagine Emelin coming back and putting him and Murray on a D pairing for a game. They could probably create a whole hit-reel just by themselves.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Analyzer*

I'm happy with this.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
I'm not going to pretend that I've scouted Douglas Murray for years now and know exactly what he's going to bring to the table, but a one-year, 1.5 million dollar deal for a big, depth D-man is nothing to cry over. By the sounds of things, he's a good hitter and a very good guy to have on the PK. Imagine him and Gorges killing all of our penalties on the first wave, that can do nothing but help us in that regard.

Plus I don't understand how some fans could like Hal Gill so much and then cry about this signing. There is no way, despite what some people say, that Murray is slower than Gill was. And if he brings the same effectiveness on the PK that Gill did (because their offensive skills are about equal, aka "non-existant") then what is exactly wrong with this signing?

Imagine Emelin coming back and putting him and Murray on a D pairing for a game. They could probably create a whole hit-reel just by themselves.
Murray comes to play every night...he got heart.
He will be a fan favorite when he makes the boards rattle in Bell Centre ,you watch.

You dont pick up the nickname Swedish Thunder or tank or crankshaft for no reason ...

Old
08-22-2013, 05:49 PM
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

The guy actually has more block shots than hits, so that's our crease clearing D, except he's a lefty which is a bit awkward. I would have not made that signing mainly because of this. Also add that he's slowed so much I don't think he'll play much more than 16 minutes a game, but whatever, at least they didn't sign Hainsey. That would have been worst.

Bottom line feeling: meh.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
I'll answer #1:

Yes
Whoah i just learned he's Swedish! Totally thought he was one of them good ole Canadian boy.

Old
Jay Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Based on the people counting quality shots on Price, this is not what actually happened against Ottawa. Montreal actually outchanced the Sens by a fair margin, especially with the score fairly close. The big difference in that series was Anderson standing on his head and Price not so much.

The Habs had a nasty tendency to give up when down a couple of goals, but before it got to that point, they were outplaying the Sens handily. This, incidentally, was the exact same scenario as the Flyers-Habs playoffs of 2008, where the Habs dominated everywhere but the crease; if the Flyers used their size to dominate the smaller Habs in that series, there was no sign of it.

The idea that they were done in because they were too small or too soft is a lazy narrative that has little to support it.
Against Ottawa, we were handled in our own zone. Carey could've played better, but we were handled nonetheless. A big, SAHD was a definite need. As for the 08, Flyers series: if mine is the better team everywhere but the crease and I lose the series, what area of the ice do I address in the off-season?

Old
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
To everyone saying Tinordi is not going to start the year with the Habs, then who does Bergevin plan to add back there until Emelin is back, Habs carry 8th dmen

1Subban, 2Gorges, 3Markov, 4Bouillon, 5Daiz, 6Murray, 7DD...

Still an open spot for Tinordi and you have have Bouillon and Murray split time being the 6th 7th dmen.

Tinodri's chances are actually pretty high, he showed that he can also play on RD something Murray can't do, and a position MT doesn't want Bouillon playing.
There's only an open spot for a rookie if he plays all games. You don't prep up a prospect by making him warm up the stands.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Guy is built like an ox. Very strong. Underrated fighter among casual fans, but players know that he's a tough customer.

Neil wants no part of that.

Last edited by LLoyd Christmas I: 08-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Here is a more valid point on Doug Murray...
Why is Doug Murray's name on an 2014 Olymipic roster list?????
Anybody???

Sweden released its preliminary roster late Monday as it seeks to reclaim Olympic men's hockey gold at the Sochi Games in February 2014.

Defence
Jonas Brodin, Minnesota
Alexander Edler, Vancouver
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phoenix
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit,
Nicklas Grossman, Philadelphia
Erik Gustafsson, Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman, Tampa Bay
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Douglas Murray, Pittsburgh
Johnny Oduya, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey
You gotta give to the Swedes, it seems they might have a d-squad as good as Canada for the next Olympics!

Old
08-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Forsead

Good signing at least someone will clear the crease.

It also means Tinordi will surely start the season in Hamilton and I think that it's a good thing to not have a rookie defenseman having the burden to be the only physical guy.

Also just the fact that we'll not see Drewiske near the lineup makes me happy.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:57 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Not sure about this one, he has size and all but what else does he bring? Where will he play? Guess I'll see once the season starts!

Old
08-22-2013, 06:00 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Not sure about this one, he has size and all but what else does he bring? Where will he play? Guess I'll see once the season starts!
Hmmm helps a bad penalty killing unit..

Old
08-22-2013, 06:01 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Against Ottawa, we were handled in our own zone. Carey could've played better, but we were handled nonetheless. A big, SAHD was a definite need. As for the 08, Flyers series: if mine is the better team everywhere but the crease and I lose the series, what area of the ice do I address in the off-season?
I dunno, goaltending? Since the goalie is the guy who plays in the crease...

Of course, maybe you should consider that goalies can run hot or cold on the span of 5 games, so maybe you just decide Price is a decent enough goalie and can do better next time. (Same concept about the Ottawa series, incidentally.)

(To clarify: this is what I mean by "everywhere but the crease". In 2006 against Philly, Montreal had more shots, more shots from close in, and more shots from the crease than Philly and it wasn't particularly close. The difference was all goaltending.)

Old
Forsead

Peoples also forget that as near as the start of 2012 he was still playing like a top 4 guy.

Old
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Sign a smaller, goal scoring winger to a two year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Sign a bigger, hard hitting defenseman to a one year deal and everyone loses their mind.

Welcome to Montreal, Douggie. The place where even if you're perfect, you still suck.
I hate to say you're right. Those who criticize this move don't realize the market is dry and this is a no risk singing. Whats not to like? Seriously some habs fans need to take a step off their soap box and stop trying to be arm chair GMs.

Old
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Hence part of the reason he was signed August 22nd, to a 1 year deal at 1.5M

Old
08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
Guy is built like an ox. Very strong. Underrated fighter among casual fans, but players know that he's a tough customer.

Neil wants no part of that.

The GIF makes me like this signing even more.

Closed Thread