HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 09:22 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
2013 was a brutal year for veterans on every team across the league who assumed there would be no hockey and stopped training. I've given guys like Moen a pass for it so I'm willing to do the same for Murray.
Have to agree with you there.

There were also posters mentioning Murray clubbing while in Sweden. The lockout and the uncertainty of wether the season would ever resume definitely threw some players for a loop.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Andy

I really don't see the problem with this signing if Therrien plays Murray within his limits.

Also I don't see the connection between Murray being on the team and Tinordi being in Hamilton. If Tinordi plays well during training camp he will be on the team...I expect him to anyway, he didn't look out of place at the end of the year and the playoffs.

If the team is banking on Murray eating minutes and being a go to shutdown guy it could get ugly fast, but I doubt they have that in mind.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Lol...wow Mathman, you'd think the Habs just gave up 2 second round picks to get him,and gave him 4 million per yr.....It's 750,000 after Quebec taxes....It's a joke amount of money...
It's 1.5 M of the Habs' cap space that they could've space on a better version of the same player that didn't have the name recognition.

All those small overpays and bad signings add up.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Nope. Starts in Hamilton.
yes Ahl calibre depth player now...
We might be able to give him 5-8 minutes a night in Nhl.....depends ...
Habs might get him for 900,000k....they like paying for useless brand names aparently

Come on Teemu Selanne...one yr in Montreal plz...
We gave the Ducks Saku, Ducks owe us one here....

Old
08-22-2013, 09:29 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post
I disagree. Risk/reward he plugs a hole. Is it not even remotely possible he has a rebound year?
Everything is possible, but it's exceedingly unlikely as his decline has been going on for a few years. And while at 33 he's not old, he's still more likely to get worse than better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post
Who cares? In the division we are in does anyone have a better idea on how to shore up the team to deal with the Leafs & B's without selling the farm? Oh that's right - we didn't sell anything.
How does a pylon Murray help against a team like the Bruins, a club that wins because they're loaded with skilled forwards like Bergeron, Krejci, etc?

Old
08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Everything is possible, but it's exceedingly unlikely as his decline has been going on for a few years. And while at 33 he's not old, he's still more likely to get worse than better.

How does a pylon Murray help against a team like the Bruins, a club that wins because they're loaded with skilled forwards like Bergeron, Krejci, etc?
Mathman, go do yourself a favor and read the Hal Gill signing thread from 2009..2 yrs 2.25per...
Read how many said Gill was useless ,slowest man in earth..in the decline..Habs would.regret etc....
Didn't turn out that way did it ?
Lol, man even Talbot went.to a Montreal paper to tell (idiot fans) to give Hal a chance....
Mathman, your over reacting ,over small potatoes.....EMELIN might not be back this year....maybe playoffs if we make.it...Murray brings what we lost in EM ,and more.

Last edited by Habaneros: 08-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
After his decline in 2011-2012, he was given third-pairing type minutes by the Sharks in 2013 and got pasted. The Sharks traded him away when they found a taker (big misstep by Shero there), and replaced him with Hannan (pretty deft maneuver; they got two second round picks and ended up with a defenseman who was at worst equal to the one they gave up.)

The problem with Murray is that the Habs are paying for the brand name. He used to be a quality guy 3-4 years ago but that's not the player the Habs are getting. They're paying for the fact that he was good before, though. Shero did the same thing -- two seconds would have been fine for 2009 Douglas Murray, but 2013 Douglas Murray was worth nowhere near that.
No mention of his game with the Pens, uh? How convenient... And how... Mathman is that...

Go over to their board and see the comments they have about Murray. Quite a bit of them would have kept him instead of going after Scuderi or keeping Niskanen, and some even suggested before July 5th that they would rather keep him than Orpik.

Old
deandebean

Quote:
It's 1.5 M of the Habs' cap space that they could've space on a better version of the same player that didn't have the name recognition.

Haawww...Mathman, I missed you! Where were you, you big lug? You went missing in action during a winning season, what was that?

I know your bromance with Gomez ended when he got traded, but why leave so suddenly?

I missed reading your statistical essays on hockey. You must be extactic that your moneyball dude is doing good in Oakland (even though they haven't won diddly squat in, like 50 years, while my Yanks, the Anti-moneyball team, have accumulated pennants and world championships, ahem).

Seriously, it's nice to read you again.

Old
Dharvey33

Happy with this. A big physical dman that can clear the crease and fight.

He didn't cost us 2 2nd rounders too.

Give me him before cube anyday of the week.

We added a lot of mean guys on the team if we add Tinordi to that.
Murray, Tinordi, Parros. Me like it.

Not so soft anymore are the habs.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Why can't Tinordi beat out Bouillon instead ? Because, he isn't going to be trying to beat out Murray. Murray has his place as #4-5. Don't kid yourselves people, you will all be very happy with his play.

Very good cheap, short term signing. He will have something to prove for his next contract. It's going to be fun in Toronto and Ottawa...just to be able to defend ourselves. Thanks MB !!

Old
08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:

Who are you referring to?

Man Douglas is one tough mofo and he was doing quite well with Pittsburgh last year. Give him a speedy d to play with and he will look good.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:

If you think the Bruins' skill is what makes their success, you have absolutely no credibility left.

I'm sure the Bruins won against Pittsburgh with their skill.
I'm also sure it has nothing to do with the fact they're a DAMN tough team to play against, and that it pays off in the playoffs... Not a bit...

This guy you call a "pylon" is still better at skating than you are at analyzing a team.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:42 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Mathman, go do yourself a favor and read the Hal Gill signing thread from 2009..2 yrs 2.25per...
Gill was better then than Murray is now, and mostly looked good at even strength because Subban carried him. Otherwise he was mostly of use on the PK.

Quote:
Mathman, your over reacting ,over small potatoes.....EMELIN might not be back this year....maybe playoffs if we make.it...Murray brings what we lost in EM ,and more.
Murray can't replace Emelin. I really don't get that logic. Emelin is a much better player who's capable of playing top-4 minutes. Trying to slot Murray in Emelin's role is going to get the second pairing slaughtered by opposing top-6ers.

Unless, I suppose, you get Subban to carry him.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
MarkovsKnee

It's one year and it fills a need. I really don't see how anyone can be upset by this. Emelin is out at least until January. Murray will clear the crease in front of Price. With he and Markov on our blueline, we suddenly lack some speed back there.

I wouldn't mind a Markov-Subban, Gorges-Murray pairing. We'll see I guess.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I also wonder why people put "#7" and "Murray" in the same sentence, as he's just never been that his whole career. At his peak, he was your ideal #4 d-man. Now, he's more of a bottom-pairing d-man. But #7? Ask Pens fans. They almost all say he's a very decent 3rd pairing guy.
When Emelin returns, he's our #4. Diaz is in theory our #5. What remains is #6/7 to Boullion/Murray.

Therrien has to decide between 1.5M Bouillon - a guy he's coached in junior and loves - and 1.5M Murray. My money is on Bouillon is #6.

Old
Stive Morgan
Emelin is so slow.

vCash: 0
What number is he going to wear? 3 is retired and I don't think some fans would take too kindly to him wearing 33...

EDIT: I'm retarded.

Last edited by Stive Morgan: 08-22-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old
MathMan

Quote:
No mention of his game with the Pens, uh? How convenient... And how... Mathman is that...
Uh, yeah, there's a reason why the Penguins only played Murray 15:19 minutes in the playoffs. The only D who had less icetime per game was the 22-year-old rookie callup.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stive Morgan View Post
What number is he going to wear? 3 is retired and I don't think some fans would take too kindly to him wearing 33...
33 is retired too?
The **** is this post ...

Old
08-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Gill was better then than Murray is now, and mostly looked good at even strength because Subban carried him. Otherwise he was mostly of use on the PK.

Murray can't replace Emelin. I really don't get that logic. Emelin is a much better player who's capable of playing top-4 minutes. Trying to slot Murray in Emelin's role is going to get the second pairing slaughtered by opposing top-6ers.

Unless, I suppose, you get Subban to carry him.
Hits man..hits.....EM hit machine...gone ......
Murray has thrown 200 hit a yr some seasons...so we got.it back....And he is every bit
As nasty,and jump Murray he is goona give you punches back.....EM not so much...

Murray played against top NHL guys in San Jose .....not like he was a 7/8dman in his career....
Again man ,he's so slow but being considered to play on a Large Olympic ice surface in 2014...Again this isnt Campoli or Picard.....

Old
08-22-2013, 09:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
If you think the Bruins' skill is what makes their success, you have absolutely no credibility left.
Of course it's the Bruins' skill that makes them win. Especially their depth of skill. That's how they overwhelm clubs -- they have a Selke centre, an excellent offensive second line, and a fair amount of skill on their third line. Most clubs don't have the depth to match up against that.

And Chara, obviously. One of the, if not the, best D-men in the league.

The idea that they win by intimidation gets a lot of hype, but it's not actually true. It's great for fooling people into thinking they need to load up on "toughness" to stand up to them, though. The Sabres self-destructed because they became obsessed with that idea.

Boston is actually, on average, one of the smallest teams in the league. Despite having Chara. Their reputation is such though that this doesn't get noticed much.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Hits man..hits.....EM hit machine...gone ......
Murray has throw 200 hit a yr some seasons...so we got.it back....And he is every bit
As nasty,and jump Murray he is goona give you punches back.....EM not so much...
Hits are good for separating the other guy from the puck, but a guy who can hit and can do nothing else is probably a guy whose team spends too much time not having the puck.

Quote:
Murray played against top NHL guys .....not like he was a 7/8dman his entire career....
If we were getting the Douglas Murray of 2009, the guy who played against top NHL guys, I would not have enough hands to applaud this deal. But he's not that guy anymore.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Keep seeing him referred to as a pylon, and yet whenever you see him in open ice he's laying the body on players that are supposedly much better skaters than him. Where are the conspicuous examples of people actually getting around him, let alone getting around him like he was standing still (i.e. "like a pylon")?

Quote:
If we were getting the Douglas Murray of 2009, the guy who played against top NHL guys, I would not have enough hands to applaud this deal. But he's not that guy anymore.
We didn't even get '05/06 Bouillon back from Nashville, either, so the upgrade to the bottom pairing is welcome.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:55 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
When Emelin returns, he's our #4. Diaz is in theory our #5. What remains is #6/7 to Boullion/Murray.

Therrien has to decide between 1.5M Bouillon - a guy he's coached in junior and loves - and 1.5M Murray. My money is on Bouillon is #6.
Diaz, "in theory", in my books, is not guaranteed to be anything the way he finished last season.

Same with Emelin, nobody knows how he'll come back.

As for Bouillon, he's smaller and significantly older than Murray.

Go to the Pens board to ask them what they think of Murray. Can't believe that many of your guys underrate him that much.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:57 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Of course it's the Bruins' skill that makes them win. Especially their depth of skill. That's how they overwhelm clubs -- they have a Selke centre, an excellent offensive second line, and a fair amount of skill on their third line. Most clubs don't have the depth to match up against that.

And Chara, obviously. One of the, if not the, best D-men in the league.

The idea that they win by intimidation gets a lot of hype, but it's not actually true. It's great for fooling people into thinking they need to load up on "toughness" to stand up to them, though. The Sabres self-destructed because they became obsessed with that idea.

Boston is actually, on average, one of the smallest teams in the league. Despite having Chara. Their reputation is such though that this doesn't get noticed much.
The Sabres imploded because they aquired Ott and Scott now... And it keeps getting better...

Old
08-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Ewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
what he says.
What he says he says

Closed Thread