HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Phx-car-nyr

Old
08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Phx-car-nyr

To NYR
Yandle

To PHX
Tuomo Ruutu
Taylor Pyatt
Car 1st

To CAR
Mark Staal

Rangers PMD and PP QB in Yandle. Although it'd be better if he were a RHD, Yandle MDZ running the points on the PP doesn't look too shabby. They give up and elite defensive blueiner in Staal and a depth 3rd liner. Staal can be moved because of the stellar play of McDonagh and Giardi. To keep Staal past next year, it will cost Yandle's money or more.

Phoenix has a glut of blueliners and an even more talented bunch of young blueliners coming down the pipe. I'm a huge fan of OEL and the guy is already a beast. All this, maybe, makes Yandle potentially expendable. Ruutu can play top6 or 9 and can play wing or center. He can play with a Ribiero and Doan on the type line or pair with Kopikoski and you've got the great start of a very good 3rd, adding Pyatt to that line wouldn't be terrible thing either.

Carolina
Completes the Staalville quadratic equation. Ruutu and a 1st is comparable to what it took to get Jordan. Staal-Faulk is a heluva top pairing for the next 6+ years. Staal, Staal, Semin, Skinner are locks for the top6. Lindholm and Tlusty will make cases for themselves for the other two spots. This likely makes Ruutu a movable option.

Cap hits all around are fairly neutral. Even the lengths are fairly neutral. Ruutu and Yandle both have 3 years remaining and Staal has 2.

Only real concerns I see are:
Is player health an issue? Which really, unless we're medical examiners or trainers for the teams, it's just a big unknown.
Does this fill enough of PHX's needs to make moving Yandle worth it? IMO, NY and Carolina do this without thinking twice.

Thoughts?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
alpine4life

I dont think PHX will want that...

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:56 AM
BPD

I think more needs to go to Phoenix, but I can't say I hate the idea of Yandle and Staal being a centerpiece.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:56 AM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Phoenix gets bent over quite easily actually

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Phoenix gets bent over quite easily actually
I don't know about easily, but they need more coming in. Carolina's first is probably a mid-high round in the 9-13 range, Ruutu, when healthy is a solid 2nd liner - possibly a 1st liner on that Phoenix team. Pyatt's the oddball - the Rangers need to cut some salary and Pyatt's definitely part of that, but he's not a worthwhile enough piece to move without adding a bit more.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:00 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

I would think Phoenix would want a package of young, blue-chip forward prospects rather than aging forwards. The 1st is nice, but not enough to justify moving one of the better PP QB in the league.

IMO Ruutu and Pyatt doesn't do much for Phx since they have similar players on their team already and those two players aren't going to make them title contenders.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Pheonix will want more. And family ties or not, Carolina would probably prefer Yandle over Marc.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Hooliganx3

PHX would be much better off trading Yandle on their own. They will want a much bigger impact player coming back then Ruutu.

Hooliganx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:07 AM
pld459666

Phoenix says no easily.

A fragile player, a marginal player and a 1st that COULD be in the 13-18 range

They would pass.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I don't know about easily, but they need more coming in. Carolina's first is probably a mid-high round in the 9-13 range, Ruutu, when healthy is a solid 2nd liner - possibly a 1st liner on that Phoenix team. Pyatt's the oddball - the Rangers need to cut some salary and Pyatt's definitely part of that, but he's not a worthwhile enough piece to move without adding a bit more.
I've always been a big Ruutu fan. I think his past couple seasons and injuries limiting his playing, people have forgotten how good he is. The guy's got a complete game with an impressive blend of physicality and offensive ability. That's not something you see a lot of and not something people give up easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
PHX would be much better off trading Yandle on their own. They will want a much bigger impact player coming back then Ruutu.
Agreed, but I just don't see them finding that player. Everyone is tight to the cap this year and if Philly doesn't decide to break apart their team, when was the last time a major piece was moved? I just don't think a move like JJ for Carter is out there for PHX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
I would think Phoenix would want a package of young, blue-chip forward prospects rather than aging forwards. The 1st is nice, but not enough to justify moving one of the better PP QB in the league.

IMO Ruutu and Pyatt doesn't do much for Phx since they have similar players on their team already and those two players aren't going to make them title contenders.
IMO a healthy Ruutu helps any team. The guy is solid. I'd say they'd want to cash in players for chips if they were still being looking to keep costs low. However, with new ownership, winning and getting to the playoffs would be goal #1. Making a splash with a big move would be lots of free press. Bolstering their forward corpse while not creating a huge hole, because of their rich assets on the blueline, IMO, helps them achieve the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Pheonix will want more. And family ties or not, Carolina would probably prefer Yandle over Marc.
I disagree. Carolina has always been big on family ties, Staal, isn't the only family name they've gone with. Further with Pitkanen, Faulk, and Murphy on the way, their need isn't a PMD. They don't have anyone like Staal, few teams do. Edmonton just gave Ference a nice 4 year contract to a 34 y/o because they need that shutdown defenseman.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Kaibur

That's not enough for 3 prime years of Yandle.

The Yotes are probably shopping Klesla for a pick, prospect, or winger. Otherwise, they're fairly set for the start of camp.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Phoenix says no easily.

A fragile player, a marginal player and a 1st that COULD be in the 13-18 range

They would pass.
He played 82 games in 10-11 when he had 309 hits and 72 in 11-12. I don't know if I would call him fragile, though he may need to tone it down a notch as his physical style may be a tad bit much. IMO, healthy, he's quite comparable to Doan with a bit less offense.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

if the Rangers are giving up Staal its for a top 6 physical forward and not another defenseman.. Ruutu would be a good fit up front although big risk with his injury history. Rangers might have to free up a spot on defense for McIlrath if he has a great training camp... Rangers dont need another high priced defenseman...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:41 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
That's not enough for 3 prime years of Yandle.

The Yotes are probably shopping Klesla for a pick, prospect, or winger. Otherwise, they're fairly set for the start of camp.
I agree it's more likely for this season they'll trade one of their blueliners that aren't OEL or Yandle for a top9 forward. However over the term of Yandle's contract they'll likely need to decide whether they want to stick with Yandle and send a guy like Gormley or Murphy out to land a big time forward or bring up the kids and move Yandle. With a stacked blueline and kids like that coming, they've got good problems that teams would love to have.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:49 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
if the Rangers are giving up Staal its for a top 6 physical forward and not another defenseman.. Ruutu would be a good fit up front although big risk with his injury history. Rangers might have to free up a spot on defense for McIlrath if he has a great training camp... Rangers dont need another high priced defenseman...
Rangers haven't had two solid PMD since they won the cup with Zubov and Leetch. An Elite PPQB like Yandle is exactly what they need! Deep up the middle wins, G-D-C. Rangers are stacked with centers and an elite goalie. They have a shutdown pairing capable of logging tons of minutes as well as solid blueine depth. What they haven't had in a decade, is a PPQB. Yandle - MDZ looks a lot better than any other combination the Rangers can currently put up on the blueline PP.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
bernmeister

It is a good effort and can be salvaged, but not completely there and w/flaws from the beginning.

How about same three teams, fill in the blanks:
Faulk + __________ to Rangers for M Staal + Yandle to Canes
_________________ to Coyotes
Additional + to Carolina: ______________ (specify from)
Additional + to Phoenix: ______________ (specify from)
Additional + to NY : ______________ (specify from)

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

Horrifyingly bad value for Phoenix.

08-20-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Does this fill enough of PHX's needs to make moving Yandle worth it? IMO, NY and Carolina do this without thinking twice.
In my opinion this sums up the proposal and the thread, and the bolded part even more so.

There are plenty of other options to thin out the logjam on the blue line for the Coyotes at this point. The Coyotes don't need to move Yandle yet this return makes it look like they do.

If you think two teams do it without thinking twice it usually means you totally missed the boat on the third team.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
19NYSports91

Terrible for the Coyotes, Carolina barely had to give up much to get Staal.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
pspot

Maybe Murphy to Phx instead of Pyatt

pspot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Terrible for the Coyotes, Carolina barely had to give up much to get Staal.
Dude, Tuomo Ruutu and a 1st is a pretty solid price for Marc Staal - I'm a Rangers fan and I'm thinking that's a decent return to at least have us thinking about it.

Old
08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Eternal Sunshine

I think Skinner would be A LOT closer than Ruutu + 1st.

Phoenix has no reason to trade Yandle for anything less than exactly what they demand for him.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
veedubn1

1 - Phoenix isn't getting enough back for Yandle.

2 - Carolina can just sign Staal in a couple years... why give up good assets for him now?

3 - NY basically trades Staal for Yandle which is a big upgrade for them. NY is making out like bandits in the proposal.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Juxtaposer
Outro:Divina Comedia

vCash: 50
Phoenix doesn't come near that.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
pspot