HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mikhail Grabovski signs with Washington [1 year/$3 million] MOD warning post 352

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Gavy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not really true, it is well documented that he got in fights with Blake not once, but twice. Beauchemin once. His relationship with Carlyle was not good. Not even Kulemin was not at his wedding this summer, his best bud on the team. There are plenty of red flags in his history and we are not even talking about whether he hit a woman or not in a bar.

It may be only matter of time before Grabo is Grabo in Washington. A loose cannon.
All you did was speculate and guess.
I'M as die hard of a fan as they come, loved the guy. Worked hard, made great plays a lot, got better after being smashed around and WASN'T a distraction

Old
08-23-2013, 02:02 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Great signing
best of luck to him!!!

Old
08-23-2013, 02:06 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Good fit. Sorry to see him go and wish him the best of luck.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:36 AM
morrielly

vCash: 380
Wish him the best of luck. Really sad to see him go and i can't wait until he rebounds from this crappy year. One of my favourite leafs these past couple of years and i know you caps fans will love him.

It was a pleasure watching him in the blue and white (that boston game is something i won't be able to forget). He's as fearless as they come, a true warrior and i really hope he has great success in the years to come

Old
08-23-2013, 02:42 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
nice pickup for the caps. makes them a heck of a lot better in that this essentially replaces ribeiro.
not.even.close. both are headcases but one is clearly better than the other.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

I don't understand how anyone can think this is a bad signing.

Heck.. if he has some chemistry with Ovie, that could give them the option of playing Backstrom on the 2nd line and all of a sudden they have two solid scoring lines. Even if he shts the bed, it's 100% worth the low risk.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:00 AM
The_Chosen_One

The +/- metric is a very limiting statistic. However, one thing we can say is that in a shut down role, the centre plays the most important forward in the corps. Interestingly, Grabovski spent significantly more time against Krejci than McClement, and if both played together, Grabs was in the middle. McClement, in fact, was being replaced by JVR, Frattin, MacArthur, etc, when we were attempting to shutdown the Krejci line which actually proved effective in games 5, 6, and most of 7.

Furthermore, our so-called "best" defensive forward, Kulemin, was a -9. Similarly, McClement was a -4 despite a lighter ES role. I'm really seeing some severe double standards here. It's as ridiculous as the homer claim that Bolland is best "third liner" in the NHL. Anyhow, Grabovski played tough minutes, not to mention was first in ES ice time amongst forwards. It is understandable why his production didn't seem that high considering that his linemates weren't much better.

Truth is, he was actually pretty effective on the ice, but didn't get the lucky bounces. You simply don't spend that much time against the top lines if ineffective. He probably didn't like that role, but neither did Yzerman initially. That being said, Grabovski is quite versatile, plays a good game on both sides of the ice, and if given some strong linemates ( particularly Brouwer ), he's going to succeed.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 08-23-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old
08-23-2013, 03:05 AM
kiwidevil

Great deal for the caps.

He will be great with Oates.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:09 AM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

I so want him to score a hatty at the ACC, sign the 3rd puck and toss it to Carlyle.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:03 AM
rocky7
#TellitlikeitIsn't

no ****, that would be awesome.

Oates will use him right and put Grabo in a position to succeed and help the team tremendously. Washington just got alot better damnit.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:08 AM
SashaSemin28
408 Forever 63*

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I understand there's the Grabovski apologists and people that just so wanted him to be something more than he was. Fact is, he quit on his team. He showed the type of guy he was at times this year and he showed it even more on his way outta town.

There's a reason he sat in UFA this long.

I'd love to hear your theory....How else do you justify it? His honeymoon? His looking for the best situation? BS... He has to prove himself and there's a reason why he has to prove himself all over again. He showed character traits that teams just arent going to deal with anymore... It's that simple.
The Leafs bought him out the day before his wedding, he reacted like any normal person would, be monumentally pissed off. What would you do if you were sacked the day before your wedding? React like, oh well, whatever, must not speak my mind atall. He had a right to be pissed off, the Leafs should have bought him out when they bought out Komisarek, and the reaction would not have been what it was.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Had a feeling he would be here since July 5. Good signing. Should free up Backstrom + Laich for less defensive responsibility.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Unagi

Grabo for 1 year at 3 million? That is a good deal and no risk. Happy for Washington.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:43 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Had a feeling he would be here since July 5. Good signing. Should free up Backstrom + Laich for less defensive responsibility.
I'd say it increases Laich's defensive workload. If he stays at center, he'll be centering the third line, which will likely be their checking line.

08-23-2013, 05:00 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is it just me, or do the Ducks seem screwed next year. I thought they'd do something to address their top six depth in the off-season.
I don't really see it. Bonino hasn't yet gotten himself a name around the league, but he has been good and even more important for us as a 2nd line center in many ways. Holland's still there to compete with him for that role. Other than that, losing Ryan won't hurt our top-6 depth (some nights he wasn't even on the top-6) significantly compared to last season. He didn't have any chemistry left with Getzlaf/Perry or whoever made the 2nd line. Palmieri is more than ready for the added responsibility of a consistent top-6 role. Silfverberg is a top-6 player as well. Etem was a force and one of our three best players in the (short) playoffs to indicate he can be a factor earlier rather than later. And Dustin Penner will have a chance to show whether there's some of the chemistry left with Getzlaf/Perry. Most of those names aren't household names around the league, yet, but in general, that area isn't one that's particularly worrysome. Especially if Teemu comes back, that's a good level of competition for the top-6.

With Beauchemin having undergone surgery and possibly missing a few games to start the year and taking a bit to get to his level, and Souray out for longer, defense is actually a bit more of a concern right now. Not in a way that it takes more bodies there, but in that the guys competing for spots on defense (Vatanen and Lindholm) haven't yet shown as much as the young guns up front.

It will be an interesting year for us.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:35 AM
FrozenJagrt

Won't miss him
Decent player, works his tail off in games, but he was overpaid and didn't have a place on the roster
Kadri will be better offensively I think and Bozak provides faceoff wins and a chemistry with Kessel, the kind we haven't seen since the days of Antroponikarovsky

Old
08-23-2013, 06:38 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Good fit, wishing the best of luck in Washington for Grabo.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
What are his numbers with the leafs before Carlyle was hired, I think everyone agree's that Carlyle used him terribly. As he pointed out in his post getting bought out interview, he went over to the KHL and produced. It's not that producing in the KHL is the be all end all, but to say ZOMG HE SUCKZORZ!!!!!!! when he gets 3rd line ice time and starts in the defensive zone 60%+ of his ice time. No one claims he's a shut down center. You're coach played him as that for a year because he didn't like him(or whatever reason).

That says nothing of when he saw him, and it was reported that he basically was on vacation for a whole month back home after the wedding? Where does it say he didn't attend the wedding, this just further hurts peoples points about ZOMG IT TOOK HIM A WHILE TO SIGN!!!!.
you have none. . .

QOC doesn't matter as much when Grabo's all start in the defensive zone, and playing the 6th most foward minutes (or something close to it) isn't really great pp time.

Also since when did seeing someone once or so in the past month, more then a month after his wedding, indicate a summer, and possibly not attending said wedding?
Bad rebuttal. You should have started with In your opinion.

Fact is Randy Carlyle played him the only place he could when Kadri beat him out for #2C. Randy Carlyle did something that no coach could do in 9 years, make the playoffs. It's not his job to prop up Grabo. Proof of the pudding is Leafs did not need Grabo's contributions last season to make the playoffs. They were a better team without him being in the top 6. This is a fact. Kadri and Bozak were better, and it reflected in our Goals for, one of the best in the NHL.

Zone starts? This is the analytics go to point for Grabo and its a weak one, despite him getting the 4th most PP time amongst fwds on the Leafs last year. Mcclement and Kulemin's zone starts were higher, and both out pointed Grabo despite having no PP time with the Leafs last season.

But I just want to address your bolded point, you say RC played him at #3C because he didn't like him, tells me you do not watch many Leafs games. The facts are Kadri and Bozak outplayed Grabo by a wide margin. This is a team game, not a game where one player gets a pass because a coach needs to cater to him. RC went with players that are better at the top 6 center spots. Randy didn't misuse Grabo, he put him in the only spot he could. This is a fact, it reflected in the Leafs being better, and it is part of a big reason why they made the playoffs last season.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:06 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Bad rebuttal. You should have started with In your opinion.

Fact is Randy Carlyle played him the only place he could when Kadri beat him out for #2C. Randy Carlyle did something that no coach could do in 9 years, make the playoffs. It's not his job to prop up Grabo. Proof of the pudding is Leafs did not need Grabo's contributions last season to make the playoffs. They were a better team without him being in the top 6. This is a fact. Kadri and Bozak were better, and it reflected in our Goals for, one of the best in the NHL.

Zone starts? This is the analytics go to point for Grabo and its a weak one, despite him getting the 4th most PP time amongst fwds on the Leafs last year. Mcclement and Kulemin's zone starts were higher, and both out pointed Grabo despite having no PP time with the Leafs last season.

But I just want to address your bolded point, you say RC played him at #3C because he didn't like him, tells me you do not watch many Leafs games. The facts are Kadri and Bozak outplayed Grabo by a wide margin. This is a team game, not a game where one player gets a pass because a coach needs to cater to him. RC went with players that are better at the top 6 center spots. Randy didn't misuse Grabo, he put him in the only spot he could. This is a fact, it reflected in the Leafs being better, and it is part of a big reason why they made the playoffs last season.
Regardless, you are using a 46 game sample size. A shortened off year where he struggled. Everyome knows he is a great player who has a string of bad luck mixed with poor opportunities... and you have wasted alot of your time trying to convince people otherwise.

Last edited by Francesa: 08-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old
08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I don't understand how anyone can think this is a bad signing.

Heck.. if he has some chemistry with Ovie, that could give them the option of playing Backstrom on the 2nd line and all of a sudden they have two solid scoring lines. Even if he shts the bed, it's 100% worth the low risk.
Here is Ovie's chemistry with Grabo.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:11 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Here is Ovie's chemistry with Grabo.

Yes. 1 bodycheck. This is relevant how?

Old
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Gets a huge cheque from the Leafs to go away, and now gets to possibly play with the best winger in the business for a year to up his value. Rough life Grabo.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is it just me, or do the Ducks seem screwed next year. I thought they'd do something to address their top six depth in the off-season.

Thought Grabo was going to join the Ducks.
Anaheim is better without him, Burke knows this in retrospect. Plus he has had run ins with Koivu in the past, and Beauchemin. 2 respected leaders on the Ducks. It is curious Ducks tried to get Bozak instead, NHL GM's know Bozak is the better player, hockey boards somehow think a player that was bought out with minimal interest is better.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Anaheim is better without him, Burke knows this in retrospect. Plus he has had run ins with Koivu in the past, and Beauchemin. 2 respected leaders on the Ducks. It is curious Ducks tried to get Bozak instead, NHL GM's know Bozak is the better player, hockey boards somehow think a player that was bought out with minimal interest is better.
Why does your be all end all beloved +/- stat not apply to Bozak. ? Career -47 but grabos -10 is a stat you use in almost every post. You just dont make any sense bro

Old
08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Why does your be all end all beloved +/- stat not apply to Bozak. ? Career -47 but grabos -10 is a stat you use in almost every post. You just dont make any sense bro
Kulemin - who is supposedly the best defensive forward of all time - was a -9, while the best "third liner" in the NHL ( Bolland) was a -7. That guy is never consistent.

As for supposed chemistry issues with Ovechkin, I doubt it. Grabovski looked great with Datsyuk even though both are puck possession players. I could actually see Grabs doing quite well with Ovechkin especially due to his feisty playing style.

Closed Thread