HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mikhail Grabovski signs with Washington [1 year/$3 million] MOD warning post 352

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2013, 01:49 AM
  #276
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not really true, it is well documented that he got in fights with Blake not once, but twice. Beauchemin once. His relationship with Carlyle was not good. Not even Kulemin was not at his wedding this summer, his best bud on the team. There are plenty of red flags in his history and we are not even talking about whether he hit a woman or not in a bar.

It may be only matter of time before Grabo is Grabo in Washington. A loose cannon.
All you did was speculate and guess.
I'M as die hard of a fan as they come, loved the guy. Worked hard, made great plays a lot, got better after being smashed around and WASN'T a distraction

Gavy is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 02:02 AM
  #277
uncleben85
My face is my mask.
 
uncleben85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,800
vCash: 500
Great signing
best of luck to him!!!

uncleben85 is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 02:06 AM
  #278
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,135
vCash: 0
Good fit. Sorry to see him go and wish him the best of luck.

kihei is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 02:36 AM
  #279
morrielly
Registered User
 
morrielly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 499
vCash: 380
Wish him the best of luck. Really sad to see him go and i can't wait until he rebounds from this crappy year. One of my favourite leafs these past couple of years and i know you caps fans will love him.

It was a pleasure watching him in the blue and white (that boston game is something i won't be able to forget). He's as fearless as they come, a true warrior and i really hope he has great success in the years to come


morrielly is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 02:42 AM
  #280
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
nice pickup for the caps. makes them a heck of a lot better in that this essentially replaces ribeiro.
not.even.close. both are headcases but one is clearly better than the other.

THE HOFF is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 02:48 AM
  #281
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User
 
Kevin8se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
I don't understand how anyone can think this is a bad signing.

Heck.. if he has some chemistry with Ovie, that could give them the option of playing Backstrom on the 2nd line and all of a sudden they have two solid scoring lines. Even if he shts the bed, it's 100% worth the low risk.

Kevin8se7en is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 03:00 AM
  #282
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
The +/- metric is a very limiting statistic. However, one thing we can say is that in a shut down role, the centre plays the most important forward in the corps. Interestingly, Grabovski spent significantly more time against Krejci than McClement, and if both played together, Grabs was in the middle. McClement, in fact, was being replaced by JVR, Frattin, MacArthur, etc, when we were attempting to shutdown the Krejci line which actually proved effective in games 5, 6, and most of 7.

Furthermore, our so-called "best" defensive forward, Kulemin, was a -9. Similarly, McClement was a -4 despite a lighter ES role. I'm really seeing some severe double standards here. It's as ridiculous as the homer claim that Bolland is best "third liner" in the NHL. Anyhow, Grabovski played tough minutes, not to mention was first in ES ice time amongst forwards. It is understandable why his production didn't seem that high considering that his linemates weren't much better.

Truth is, he was actually pretty effective on the ice, but didn't get the lucky bounces. You simply don't spend that much time against the top lines if ineffective. He probably didn't like that role, but neither did Yzerman initially. That being said, Grabovski is quite versatile, plays a good game on both sides of the ice, and if given some strong linemates ( particularly Brouwer ), he's going to succeed.


Last edited by JeffMangum: 08-23-2013 at 04:43 AM.
The_Chosen_One is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 03:05 AM
  #283
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,370
vCash: 500
Great deal for the caps.

He will be great with Oates.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 03:09 AM
  #284
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...
 
JTPoni23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
I so want him to score a hatty at the ACC, sign the 3rd puck and toss it to Carlyle.

JTPoni23 is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 04:03 AM
  #285
rocky7
#TellitlikeitIsn't
 
rocky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: God's country
Posts: 3,380
vCash: 500
no ****, that would be awesome.

Oates will use him right and put Grabo in a position to succeed and help the team tremendously. Washington just got alot better damnit.

rocky7 is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 04:08 AM
  #286
SashaSemin28
408 Forever 63*
 
SashaSemin28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lancs, England.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I understand there's the Grabovski apologists and people that just so wanted him to be something more than he was. Fact is, he quit on his team. He showed the type of guy he was at times this year and he showed it even more on his way outta town.

There's a reason he sat in UFA this long.

I'd love to hear your theory....How else do you justify it? His honeymoon? His looking for the best situation? BS... He has to prove himself and there's a reason why he has to prove himself all over again. He showed character traits that teams just arent going to deal with anymore... It's that simple.
The Leafs bought him out the day before his wedding, he reacted like any normal person would, be monumentally pissed off. What would you do if you were sacked the day before your wedding? React like, oh well, whatever, must not speak my mind atall. He had a right to be pissed off, the Leafs should have bought him out when they bought out Komisarek, and the reaction would not have been what it was.

SashaSemin28 is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 04:15 AM
  #287
Reverend Mayhem
Registered User
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Had a feeling he would be here since July 5. Good signing. Should free up Backstrom + Laich for less defensive responsibility.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 04:31 AM
  #288
Unagi
Registered User
 
Unagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Grabo for 1 year at 3 million? That is a good deal and no risk. Happy for Washington.

Unagi is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 04:43 AM
  #289
JeffMangum
I'm v
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,352
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Had a feeling he would be here since July 5. Good signing. Should free up Backstrom + Laich for less defensive responsibility.
I'd say it increases Laich's defensive workload. If he stays at center, he'll be centering the third line, which will likely be their checking line.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 05:00 AM
  #290
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is it just me, or do the Ducks seem screwed next year. I thought they'd do something to address their top six depth in the off-season.
I don't really see it. Bonino hasn't yet gotten himself a name around the league, but he has been good and even more important for us as a 2nd line center in many ways. Holland's still there to compete with him for that role. Other than that, losing Ryan won't hurt our top-6 depth (some nights he wasn't even on the top-6) significantly compared to last season. He didn't have any chemistry left with Getzlaf/Perry or whoever made the 2nd line. Palmieri is more than ready for the added responsibility of a consistent top-6 role. Silfverberg is a top-6 player as well. Etem was a force and one of our three best players in the (short) playoffs to indicate he can be a factor earlier rather than later. And Dustin Penner will have a chance to show whether there's some of the chemistry left with Getzlaf/Perry. Most of those names aren't household names around the league, yet, but in general, that area isn't one that's particularly worrysome. Especially if Teemu comes back, that's a good level of competition for the top-6.

With Beauchemin having undergone surgery and possibly missing a few games to start the year and taking a bit to get to his level, and Souray out for longer, defense is actually a bit more of a concern right now. Not in a way that it takes more bodies there, but in that the guys competing for spots on defense (Vatanen and Lindholm) haven't yet shown as much as the young guns up front.

It will be an interesting year for us.

Vipers31 is online now  
Old
08-23-2013, 06:35 AM
  #291
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Won't miss him
Decent player, works his tail off in games, but he was overpaid and didn't have a place on the roster
Kadri will be better offensively I think and Bozak provides faceoff wins and a chemistry with Kessel, the kind we haven't seen since the days of Antroponikarovsky

FrozenJagrt is online now  
Old
08-23-2013, 06:38 AM
  #292
stakesishigh
how swede it is
 
stakesishigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,570
vCash: 1205
Good fit, wishing the best of luck in Washington for Grabo.

stakesishigh is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
  #293
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
What are his numbers with the leafs before Carlyle was hired, I think everyone agree's that Carlyle used him terribly. As he pointed out in his post getting bought out interview, he went over to the KHL and produced. It's not that producing in the KHL is the be all end all, but to say ZOMG HE SUCKZORZ!!!!!!! when he gets 3rd line ice time and starts in the defensive zone 60%+ of his ice time. No one claims he's a shut down center. You're coach played him as that for a year because he didn't like him(or whatever reason).


That says nothing of when he saw him, and it was reported that he basically was on vacation for a whole month back home after the wedding? Where does it say he didn't attend the wedding, this just further hurts peoples points about ZOMG IT TOOK HIM A WHILE TO SIGN!!!!.
you have none. . .

QOC doesn't matter as much when Grabo's all start in the defensive zone, and playing the 6th most foward minutes (or something close to it) isn't really great pp time.

Also since when did seeing someone once or so in the past month, more then a month after his wedding, indicate a summer, and possibly not attending said wedding?
Bad rebuttal. You should have started with In your opinion.

Fact is Randy Carlyle played him the only place he could when Kadri beat him out for #2C. Randy Carlyle did something that no coach could do in 9 years, make the playoffs. It's not his job to prop up Grabo. Proof of the pudding is Leafs did not need Grabo's contributions last season to make the playoffs. They were a better team without him being in the top 6. This is a fact. Kadri and Bozak were better, and it reflected in our Goals for, one of the best in the NHL.

Zone starts? This is the analytics go to point for Grabo and its a weak one, despite him getting the 4th most PP time amongst fwds on the Leafs last year. Mcclement and Kulemin's zone starts were higher, and both out pointed Grabo despite having no PP time with the Leafs last season.

But I just want to address your bolded point, you say RC played him at #3C because he didn't like him, tells me you do not watch many Leafs games. The facts are Kadri and Bozak outplayed Grabo by a wide margin. This is a team game, not a game where one player gets a pass because a coach needs to cater to him. RC went with players that are better at the top 6 center spots. Randy didn't misuse Grabo, he put him in the only spot he could. This is a fact, it reflected in the Leafs being better, and it is part of a big reason why they made the playoffs last season.

Interactif is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:06 AM
  #294
CreeksideStrangler
Registered User
 
CreeksideStrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Bad rebuttal. You should have started with In your opinion.

Fact is Randy Carlyle played him the only place he could when Kadri beat him out for #2C. Randy Carlyle did something that no coach could do in 9 years, make the playoffs. It's not his job to prop up Grabo. Proof of the pudding is Leafs did not need Grabo's contributions last season to make the playoffs. They were a better team without him being in the top 6. This is a fact. Kadri and Bozak were better, and it reflected in our Goals for, one of the best in the NHL.

Zone starts? This is the analytics go to point for Grabo and its a weak one, despite him getting the 4th most PP time amongst fwds on the Leafs last year. Mcclement and Kulemin's zone starts were higher, and both out pointed Grabo despite having no PP time with the Leafs last season.

But I just want to address your bolded point, you say RC played him at #3C because he didn't like him, tells me you do not watch many Leafs games. The facts are Kadri and Bozak outplayed Grabo by a wide margin. This is a team game, not a game where one player gets a pass because a coach needs to cater to him. RC went with players that are better at the top 6 center spots. Randy didn't misuse Grabo, he put him in the only spot he could. This is a fact, it reflected in the Leafs being better, and it is part of a big reason why they made the playoffs last season.
Regardless, you are using a 46 game sample size. A shortened off year where he struggled. Everyome knows he is a great player who has a string of bad luck mixed with poor opportunities... and you have wasted alot of your time trying to convince people otherwise.


Last edited by Francesa: 08-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.
CreeksideStrangler is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
  #295
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I don't understand how anyone can think this is a bad signing.

Heck.. if he has some chemistry with Ovie, that could give them the option of playing Backstrom on the 2nd line and all of a sudden they have two solid scoring lines. Even if he shts the bed, it's 100% worth the low risk.
Here is Ovie's chemistry with Grabo.


Interactif is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:11 AM
  #296
CreeksideStrangler
Registered User
 
CreeksideStrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Here is Ovie's chemistry with Grabo.

Yes. 1 bodycheck. This is relevant how?

CreeksideStrangler is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM
  #297
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Gets a huge cheque from the Leafs to go away, and now gets to possibly play with the best winger in the business for a year to up his value. Rough life Grabo.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:19 AM
  #298
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is it just me, or do the Ducks seem screwed next year. I thought they'd do something to address their top six depth in the off-season.

Thought Grabo was going to join the Ducks.
Anaheim is better without him, Burke knows this in retrospect. Plus he has had run ins with Koivu in the past, and Beauchemin. 2 respected leaders on the Ducks. It is curious Ducks tried to get Bozak instead, NHL GM's know Bozak is the better player, hockey boards somehow think a player that was bought out with minimal interest is better.

Interactif is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
  #299
CreeksideStrangler
Registered User
 
CreeksideStrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Anaheim is better without him, Burke knows this in retrospect. Plus he has had run ins with Koivu in the past, and Beauchemin. 2 respected leaders on the Ducks. It is curious Ducks tried to get Bozak instead, NHL GM's know Bozak is the better player, hockey boards somehow think a player that was bought out with minimal interest is better.
Why does your be all end all beloved +/- stat not apply to Bozak. ? Career -47 but grabos -10 is a stat you use in almost every post. You just dont make any sense bro

CreeksideStrangler is offline  
Old
08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
  #300
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Why does your be all end all beloved +/- stat not apply to Bozak. ? Career -47 but grabos -10 is a stat you use in almost every post. You just dont make any sense bro
Kulemin - who is supposedly the best defensive forward of all time - was a -9, while the best "third liner" in the NHL ( Bolland) was a -7. That guy is never consistent.

As for supposed chemistry issues with Ovechkin, I doubt it. Grabovski looked great with Datsyuk even though both are puck possession players. I could actually see Grabs doing quite well with Ovechkin especially due to his feisty playing style.

The_Chosen_One is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.