HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign Andrew Alberts [1 year, $600,000]

Old
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
MS

vCash: 500
OK, at $600k I don't mind this.

Is a bit odd since he actually played better last season than he did when he got the *ridiculous* 2 year/$2.5 million deal in the summer of 2011. He's been overpaid by $500k the past two seasons, but at least he's getting market value now.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Let's ignore the fact that Edler and Bieksa had a bad season, Kesler and Booth missed a majority of the season, Schroeder and Kassian are now older and have more experience, no more goalie controversy to distract a certain player, and a new coaching staff.
SSShhhh your not playing the game right.

this is the part where the fan base tosses the GM under the bus even though we have 2 president trophies, A Stanley Cup Final and the best record in the NHL over the last 5 years..... all thanks to Burke and Nonis of course....

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Great deal for a good #7 and decent #6

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Is a bit odd since he actually played better last season than he did when he got the *ridiculous* 2 year/$2.5 million deal in the summer of 2011. He's been overpaid by $500k the past two seasons, but at least he's getting market value now.
It does suggest to me that Gillis is going after another D (and using a guy like Alberts as the #7/#8 guy - by virtue of what he's paying him; essentially NHL minimum wage).

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
XXX-Tanev

Spares: Weber, Alberts
First callup: Corrado

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Pure depth move, I don't expect him to play more than 20 games.

On a sidenote, it looks Canucks have filled out their Roster:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Gaunce/Schroeder-HansenSestito-Richardson-Wiese

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Weber
Alberts
That is a putrid 3rd line, and a pretty weak 2nd line.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Alberts @ 600K >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murray @ 1.5

Solid depth signing.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:14 PM
NoShowWilly

perfect for a 4th LHD. allows the team to have corrado as a first callup if they decide to go with weber on the 3rd pair.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Weber
Alberts - Corrado

as our 8 im really happy. much better than 7/9 being lefties.

NoShowWilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I liked Alberts game last year. He is a great hitter but was given a red light under AV's regime. His knock as a depth defenseman is that he has to play meaner. I think it was the St Louis game where he snapped a little bit and went after Backes. If he can do that from time to time, he'll be a serviceable dman.

He's no longer a young player. It's getting to the point where his career could come to an end in the NHL if he doesn't perform. Lets hope he comes looking to make an impression on Torts.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:16 PM
CCF23

Why are people penciling Weber in over Corrado? With what Corrado showed in his brief stint, I think he's given a good look at cracking the top 6, with Weber and Alberts rotating as the 7/8 guys.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Alberts @ 600K >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murray @ 1.5

Solid depth signing.
I wanted Murray, but I do agree with this. I've got no problems, at all, with Alberts. He's a legit bottom-pairing NHL defenceman, IMO.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:21 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Why are people penciling Weber in over Corrado? With what Corrado showed in his brief stint, I think he's given a good look at cracking the top 6, with Weber and Alberts rotating as the 7/8 guys.
Corrado clearly has the potential to be a top 4...
From what I have seen...
But he still needs more offense.

I don't know if he was asked to be safe...
Or if his offensive game still needs work...
But I do think Corrado will be better served...
If he stayed in the AHL...
At least for the start of the season.

That way...
There is less pressure for him to perform...
And he can show if he has the offensive skills.

nameless1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Yeah, pretty weird. That deal was terrible when signed, but I don't mind this one at all. Looks like there really isn't much of a market for depth guys on the blue line.

This also completely makes up for the Tanev over-pay ... so what are we sitting at ... just over $2 million in cap space now or something? That's assuming a 22-man roster I think ... I wonder if we'll just hold onto that cap space.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I wanted Murray, but I do agree with this. I've got no problems, at all, with Alberts. He's a legit bottom-pairing NHL defenceman, IMO.
Yeah, we've got fairly decent depth on the back end now with Corrado/Alberts/Weber as the 6/7/8 guys. All 3 are capable of playing NHL minutes.

Old
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Let's ignore the fact that Edler and Bieksa had a bad season, Kesler and Booth missed a majority of the season, Schroeder and Kassian are now older and have more experience, no more goalie controversy to distract a certain player, and a new coaching staff.
Those are a lot of optimistic assumptions that you're making, if you're suggesting that all of the above are going to reverse/lead to a better outcome for the Canucks.

The team is worse. And though it is good that we no longer have both Luongo/Schneider, the guy that we kept doesn't want to be here, and the guy that we traded is our reigning MVP.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Tanevian*

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
SSShhhh your not playing the game right.

this is the part where the fan base tosses the GM under the bus even though we have 2 president trophies, A Stanley Cup Final and the best record in the NHL over the last 5 years..... all thanks to Burke and Nonis of course....
But didn't you hear, we've lost Roy and Raymond.

BTW, it's all thanks to Mike Keenan. Without the Linden trade......

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
var

Big on this signing. Alberts has been improving. Should give us a good amount of flexibility in terms of injuries or performance fluctuations with Corrado.

var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Took a big paycut... more than 50%.

This will mean Alberts will have played parts of 5 seasons with the Canucks. You rarely see fringe veteran players like him spend so much time in one team.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Those are a lot of optimistic assumptions that you're making, if you're suggesting that all of the above are going to reverse/lead to a better outcome for the Canucks.

The team is worse. And though it is good that we no longer have both Luongo/Schneider, the guy that we kept doesn't want to be here, and the guy that we traded is our reigning MVP.
From the guys we lost, Raymond was a middling player who never fit anywhere in the lineup. Lapierre had his worst season here last year, and it's reasonable to expect Richardson to be able to replace what we lost with Lapierre, and Roy ended up being invisible when things mattered.

As for the goaltending, Schneider was definitely our MVP last year, but that's nothing new. Both Schneider and Luongo have been (or have been one of) the team's MVP for years. In a system with a greater emphasis on defensive structure and shot blocking I seriously doubt goaltending will be an issue.

The other side of the coin, obviously, is all that went wrong for us last year. As has been mentioned, Kesler was injured almost the entire year, same with Booth. We'll also (hopefully) see growth out of guys like Kassian, Tanev, and even guys like Hansen can still improve. We also have no idea how a new voice will impact the veterans on the team.

There are positives and negatives going into this season, and it's not fair to paint the season with either brush, I don't think, just because of how much uncertainty there is. We're definitely no longer the Stanley Cup favourites we were 3 years ago, but we're still a contender and if we have a few important things fall our way (Kesler stays healthy, Kassian shows development, Torts system once again makes us one of the best defensive teams in hockey), then you never know what can happen.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

sounds about right for a #7/#8

we still have a gap on bottom LD, though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post
I don't see it that way.

Booth takes over Derek Roy.

Richardson is better than lappy in many ways.

Raymond sucks.

So yah we lost Schneids. Tell me something I don't know. We also gain a coach who likes rookies vs one who hates rookies.

Put Kassian in the top line and move burrows n the 2nd and we have a killer top 6 if they perform. I like Booth many forget how good he was and he showed signs of being that player until injured.
Ridiculous. Maybe you didn't watch the 12 games that Booth played in last year, but he was pathetic. And now it's not even looking like he'll be ready to start the season. At this point, I'd rather have Raymond on my team than Booth.

Richardson was a healthy scratch for an extended period on the Kings. He's not a better player than Lappy.

Put Kassian on the top line. Okay, why? Is he better than Burrows? Nope. Has he done anything to deserve it? Nope. The guy's barely even shown an ability to consistently score at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. 8 goals in 29 AHL games last year? That's your "killer" top line winger?

Old
08-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Took a big paycut... more than 50%.

This will mean Alberts will have played parts of 5 seasons with the Canucks. You rarely see fringe veteran players like him spend so much time in one team.
I don't think it'd have happened without the league wide cap crunch. Fringe guys bearing the weight of the lockout.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
****! I was really hoping that we'd be finally rid of Alberts.

Hope it's only 1 year.
He actually played better last year ! More physical.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Ryp37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ridiculous. Maybe you didn't watch the 12 games that Booth played in last year, but he was pathetic. And now it's not even looking like he'll be ready to start the season. At this point, I'd rather have Raymond on my team than Booth.

Richardson was a healthy scratch for an extended period on the Kings. He's not a better player than Lappy.

Put Kassian on the top line. Okay, why? Is he better than Burrows? Nope. Has he done anything to deserve it? Nope. The guy's barely even shown an ability to consistently score at the AHL level, let alone the NHL. 8 goals in 29 AHL games last year? That's your "killer" top line winger?
Did you watch any of the AHL games last year

Booth will be effective we need someone with size to drive the net which he does very well, can also play the body

quit being so doom and gloom it's pathetic

Ryp37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
moog35

Quote:

You forgot to mention that Torts is a terrible coach and the Sedins suck and Kesler is garbage

Anyways to stay on topic i'm happy with this signing. Having a bottom pairing D who can clear the crease is never a bad thing and I though Alberts was one of our better D in the playoffs. He plays a simple game and doesn't make nearly as many mistakes as he used to. Were getting an improving player at a decreasing salary

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Well, it's last year's team...

MINUS Cory Schneider
MINUS Derek Roy
MINUS Mason Raymond (likely)
MINUS Max Lapierre

PLUS Brad Richardson
PLUS Mike Santorelli

In other words, we're worse. Pretty significantly worse.
So watch another team?

Honestly.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote