HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks re-sign Andrew Alberts [1 year, $600,000]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2013, 09:02 AM
  #126
Jyrki21
Registered User
 
Jyrki21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Cyprus
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
So depressing. That's what you get for having an agent for a GM, no idea how to build a team.
I'm curious -- with about 85 of cap space and about the least illustrious UFA list in recent memory, what were you really expecting here? A massive blockbuster trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
now Corrado's probably gonna play full time in AHL with Weber/Alberts alternating in and out of the lineup
This is the Canucks we're talking about -- all three are going to be playing in the top four when the first wave of injuries hits in the second week of October.


Last edited by Jyrki21: 08-23-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:24 AM
  #127
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,996
vCash: 500
I agree, anything less than Shea Weber as a 6/7 is unacceptable. Fire Gillis.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  #128
Guardian452
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I find this deal a bit alarming because it appears Gillis is grinding players. Why? What is the cap cushion for?

Murray and Fistric signed elsewhere after the Canucks publicly admitted to interest. They didn't get more money. Is it possible the much hated Canucks did not enhance their image by adding the polarizing Tortorella? If so, shouldn't the team be lavish with the guys that are willing to play here? Lavish might be too strong a term, but chiseling is, for sure, not the way to go.
According to my math 1.5M (Murray) > .9M (Fistric) > .6M (Alberts).

Signing Tanev was the first priority. With little cap room left, whoever is the #6/#7 defenseman wasn't going to get much than league minimum. And I'm guessing that Anaheim upped their offer to Fistric after they discovered Souray was out for 4 months.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
  #129
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I find this deal a bit alarming because it appears Gillis is grinding players. Why? What is the cap cushion for?

Murray and Fistric signed elsewhere after the Canucks publicly admitted to interest. They didn't get more money. Is it possible the much hated Canucks did not enhance their image by adding the polarizing Tortorella? If so, shouldn't the team be lavish with the guys that are willing to play here? Lavish might be too strong a term, but chiseling is, for sure, not the way to go.
A few things...

1) They might have gotten slightly more money than 'nucks were offering. Might be 100k more, 200k more, etc... I didn't see any reports on what the 'nucks actually offered just that they were interested. Given the situation, i doubt MG would have offered more money than both players got... he might have offered similar or slightly less.

2) Probably more importantly guaranteed playing time. Both of them signed where they pretty much will be given a spot. On 'nucks, they'll have to earn a spot and quite possible either end up being injury replacement. Remember Hamhus, Garrison, and Edler are all LHS (like they are) and more neutral on the left side. Also pretty much Tanev and KB3 have spots locked up leaving only 1 spot if everyone is healthy. That means signing here almost guarantees you're fighting with at least 2 others (don't forget possible tryouts/young player having unexpected offseason development, etc) for the last spot on the team and if either Weber or FC out plays you, you'll end up being the 7th dman (aka Albert's role last year). Both of them also have the advantage of being RHS. On top of that, Weber might have an advantage of being a RHS PP specialist (since our PP was pretty bad last year, might be something the coaching staff considers).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
  #130
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I find this deal a bit alarming because it appears Gillis is grinding players. Why? What is the cap cushion for?

Murray and Fistric signed elsewhere after the Canucks publicly admitted to interest. They didn't get more money. Is it possible the much hated Canucks did not enhance their image by adding the polarizing Tortorella? If so, shouldn't the team be lavish with the guys that are willing to play here? Lavish might be too strong a term, but chiseling is, for sure, not the way to go.
Now you are just trying way too hard.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:16 PM
  #131
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I agree, anything less than Shea Weber as a 6/7 is unacceptable. Fire Gillis.
I am very impressed with the fans that think the salary is "decent". It can't get much lower. "Awww ****, we should have paid him $575K!"


Last edited by PG Canuck: 08-23-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: let profanity filter do its job
Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
  #132
Castle1*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
600k for alberts is a good deal. the other couple hundred grand went to tanev. all those whiners thinking tanev got too much can now quit crying as they should know tanev got a bit more and alberts got a bit less and it works out to the same total it should be.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
  #133
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26,021
vCash: 500
Don't really have an issue here.

Am in the same boat as those who think the team looks waaaaay too similar to the garbage we saw last year but I'll give it 20 games to see if Torts and the new staff makes that big a difference.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:13 PM
  #134
Ozone
Registered User
 
Ozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I feel like last year, Alberts proved that he was a legitimate #6 caliber defenseman-- Bargain at 600k as the #7 guy
Exactly.

Great deal, great depth re-signing.

Ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 08:55 PM
  #135
Elliot20
Registered User
 
Elliot20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
How can you complain about this. Almost league minimum and guy proved he can fill in temporarily as a 6th and 7th

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #136
CanucksRollin
Canadagold2014!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
This is all I have to say, it was a good deal and for ppl going on about 575K BIG DEAL!!! Alberts can be like our Chara but not skilled like him. Alberts had a great season and he can clear all the trash around the net, we need guys that are gonna stand up for the goalie and bring a gritty presence.

CanucksRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
  #137
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 50
Solid signing. Happy Alberts is back rather than signing Murray. 100K over league minimum is very manageable, and I thought he'd ask for more.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:50 PM
  #138
jammyrft
Registered User
 
jammyrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up North eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
I'm actually pumped to have Alberts back. On most nights he's usually our most physical defenseman. And probably the biggest. Some fans seem to have blinders on last year because he actually played damn good. He signed another year while taking a near 50% pay cut. Sounds good to me!

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
  #139
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,380
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Solid signing. Happy Alberts is back rather than signing Murray. 100K over league minimum is very manageable, and I thought he'd ask for more.
He probably did but probably no other team in the NHL was willing to pay his asking price.

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:23 PM
  #140
Chubros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Totally right. Because you do not understand it, it is dumb.

By reset, he referred to the coaching change. Like everyone, let's stop and reevaluate how we're going about things, then proceed. He was not referring to a massive team shake up.
He was not specifically referring to a coaching change when he made the reset comment. In the same presser he also said he was weighing all options and that he hadn't made a decision about a coaching change.

Saying he was going to reset the organization is such an ambiguous statement that it could mean almost anything. It was a dumb statement because it is virtually meaningless. Ascribing to it a specific meaning after the fact is just as dumb.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 12:20 AM
  #141
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,270
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Well, it's last year's team...

MINUS Cory Schneider
MINUS Derek Roy
MINUS Mason Raymond (likely)
MINUS Max Lapierre

PLUS Brad Richardson
PLUS Mike Santorelli

In other words, we're worse. Pretty significantly worse.
Way to be disingenuous as usual. Let's shoot for a little more accuracy, yes?

+ Fully healthy Kesler
+ Fully healthy Booth
+ Schroeder
+ Possibility of Gaunce/Horvat/Jensen

Kesler > Roy
Booth > Raymond
Luongo = Schneider
Richardson = Lapierre

But in case that is too positive for you, we can assume Booth and Kesler get injured and we miss the playoffs. Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Don't really have an issue here.

Am in the same boat as those who think the team looks waaaaay too similar to the garbage we saw last year but I'll give it 20 games to see if Torts and the new staff makes that big a difference.
Call me a crazy optimism, however I believe the board is in for a surprise the difference an actual second line makes. We were without Kesler and Booth for practically the whole season. Could we use some additions? Sure, but the deadline is there for a reason.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:28 AM
  #142
shottasasa
Registered User
 
shottasasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Great deal for the Canucks. I also liked Alberts play at the end of last year.

I don't have the article handy but I read somewhere that Alberts wife is a lawyer who is licensed to practice in BC. So if they were to move she would have to get her license changed, which is a pain especially if AA only stays with that team for one year and moves again. This is just speculation but that could be a reason AA chose to stay here even if he may have had better offers elsewhere. Plus they may just love living in Vancouver, which is completely understandable.

shottasasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
  #143
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,380
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shottasasa View Post
Great deal for the Canucks. I also liked Alberts play at the end of last year.

I don't have the article handy but I read somewhere that Alberts wife is a lawyer who is licensed to practice in BC. So if they were to move she would have to get her license changed, which is a pain especially if AA only stays with that team for one year and moves again. This is just speculation but that could be a reason AA chose to stay here even if he may have had better offers elsewhere. Plus they may just love living in Vancouver, which is completely understandable.
Yeah, another factor when it comes to that "hometown" discount is the additional "cost" to move to another city. Other than uprooting the rest of your family, the changes in lifestyle, etc.. It wouldn't surprise me if another team(s) maybe offer him a bit more than what the Canucks offered but when you factor in moving expenses, and potentially situations like you illustrated, at the end the extra money isn't worse the additional lifestyle changes of moving to another city, especially if it's only for a one year contract.

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 05:21 PM
  #144
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
+ Fully healthy Kesler
+ Fully healthy Booth
Why are my instincts telling me not to expect that to last?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:32 PM
  #145
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,270
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Why are my instincts telling me not to expect that to last?
Because as a Canucks fan. You must always be pessimistic.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:05 PM
  #146
ziploc
Registered User
 
ziploc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksRollin View Post
This is all I have to say, it was a good deal and for ppl going on about 575K BIG DEAL!!! Alberts can be like our Chara but not skilled like him.
I...really don't think this is an apt comparison. Alberts is big. Chara is big (bigger, stronger). They both play hockey. They both have letters in their names. Here the comparables end.

I do like the deal however. Alberts is more than fine for his role and salary.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 07:29 PM
  #147
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
I...really don't think this is an apt comparison. Alberts is big. Chara is big (bigger, stronger). They both play hockey. They both have letters in their names. Here the comparables end.

I do like the deal however. Alberts is more than fine for his role and salary.
Nothing alike. No coach has *ever* said "I sure wish we had a guy like Chara.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:30 AM
  #148
Cool Hand Goof*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
damn

considering what rome got im surprised alberts keeps signed with us for so low

must really love the city / team

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
  #149
ARSix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
I thought Alberts would get 1 mil on the nose. Which makes me think my "signing radar" is calibrated too high and people are getting paid less under this cap.

But then, I thought Tanev would get 1.2-1.3 for two years, and he got 1.5 for one. Seems excessive. So maybe I'm only over-valuing UFA's, and under-valuing RFA's.

But then, I thought Schroeder would get a million bucks AAV, and he only got 600k.

Basically the value of players doesn't make any sense to me. But given that I thought it'd take over $3M to get those three guys under contract, and it cost only 2.7M, I'm pleased with Gillis's work rounding out the depth here.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 02:00 PM
  #150
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Yeah, another factor when it comes to that "hometown" discount is the additional "cost" to move to another city. Other than uprooting the rest of your family, the changes in lifestyle, etc.. It wouldn't surprise me if another team(s) maybe offer him a bit more than what the Canucks offered but when you factor in moving expenses, and potentially situations like you illustrated, at the end the extra money isn't worse the additional lifestyle changes of moving to another city, especially if it's only for a one year contract.
i always assumed that free agents would get some kind of generous subvention for relocation costs-- movers, probably also closing costs for the old and new house transactions ( these are, after all, businesses dealing at a scale of more than a hundred million dollars). there still would be other hassles, like school for the kids, job for the wife, but i know most teams have a staff to help with family adjustment stuff too. your point is still valid: there would still be costs, but i suspect most if not all teams do whatever they can to make moving as painless as possible.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.