HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Budsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I still think the value is just too far off. Holland can likely fetch a mid to late 1st... Liles just can't right now. No market for him.
I don't totally disagree with you and it would depend, on how high they are on Holland but Holland really hasn't done anything so far, if you check his stats and I'm not big on stats, it's not great but he has potential but maybe we would have to, take back some cap say a million and then they may do it.

Liles is not totally useless he is very much in the same position as Beauchemin was when we traded him to them, here he was next to useless and people thought Burke had pulled off the trade of the century but he became one of their best defencemen and he still is.

Liles was a good defenceman when Wilson was coach and played well in his system and that is why he got that contract but under Carlyle's system he is not a good fit but who knows, what he will be in ANA and the system they have.

If you look at Gardiner, he is struggling here too, under Carlyle's system and I hope he can put it all together and become a solid presence on the Blue Line.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I don't totally disagree with you and it would depend, on how high they are on Holland but Holland really hasn't done anything so far, if you check his stats and I'm not big on stats, it's not great but he has potential but maybe we would have to, take back some cap say a million and then they may do it.
Honestly, I'd retain up to 1.3, since that's what we'd have to retain in a buyout anyway. It allows JML to play and probably sweetens it enough that teams would be willing to do it. 3 years at 2.5 for a guy who can give you 30+ points ain't too bad.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Drew311
National Treasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
DSP is not even close to Gunnarson's value. I don't know what Gunnarson would bring back if we dealt him (I have a feeling he will be a victim of the cap crunch sooner or later), but it will be more than that. Or at least, I think a better prospect and no pick because I doubt anyone trades a 1st for him but he's worth more than a 2nd.
I would think he'd be worth a good prospect + 2nd.

Maybe something like DSP/Rakell plus ANA 2nd.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Honestly, I'd retain up to 1.3, since that's what we'd have to retain in a buyout anyway. It allows JML to play and probably sweetens it enough that teams would be willing to do it. 3 years at 2.5 for a guy who can give you 30+ points ain't too bad.
I don't think I would do it, for any more than this year only, the reason they didn't buy-out Liles, was it would carry through those years and there will be a big cap cruch next year and a lot of players to be re-signed and they didn't want that dead cap for a buy-out.

If Holland is included in a deal, his cap hit is 1.295 mill and so for this year only, we would only have about 1.5 million extra cap which would make it, so we could have a full 23 player team and with enough flexability, to call up a player from the Marlies for injuries.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Tyler Biggs*

Things are looking up. One my favorite Leafs is the coach! He's really a great coach and the right person to lead this particular team right now.

And we still have Clarkson waiting in the wings; Clarkson - Lupul - Kadri. ooooh!

They have a few things to iron out just like every other team in the NHL at the start of the season. Pre-season is audition time for the young prospects. So the final team really hasn't had all the much game time to adjust to the new players and get their timing down. Let's have this discussion at about the ten game mark. Personally Bernier & Reimer are a 'problem' most teams would love to have!

Go Leafs!

Last edited by Tyler Biggs*: 10-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old
10-04-2013, 06:30 PM
ShLou Foot
6-8-5-13

Gunnar for DSP/Cramarossa and a pick. That may work

Old
10-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Rakell, gibso and so on so forth.

10-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Tyler Biggs*

I hope Nonis is working on a long extension for Franson.

Great start to the season. 2-0. Let's keep them coming. The haters will hate this start. Go Leafs Go.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Tyler Biggs*

Four points is worth as much in October as in March so good on Leafs netminders. Fraser being out will hurt as he is the most physical presence TO has on blueline and not sure that a 19 year old skill guy will fill the gap. They may have to consider bringing up someone from the farm if Fraser is out more than a few games, but we will see.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post

Great start to the season. 2-0. Let's keep them coming. The haters will hate this start. Go Leafs Go.
too early for an extension for franson...it's only been two games.

Maybe after 75% of the season done can we get a good grasp on him.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:46 AM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
too early for an extension for franson...it's only been two games.

Maybe after 75% of the season done can we get a good grasp on him.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe players signed to one-year contracts can't sign an extension until January 1st. I suppose they could begin the negotiation process anyways and just wait to ink it until the new year, but I think that's the rule.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:53 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would think he'd be worth a good prospect + 2nd.

Maybe something like DSP/Rakell plus ANA 2nd.
I'd want a 1st. Bottom half 1sts and good prospects are usually the starting point in packages for young top 4 D.

Edit: holy Grabner. Kid looks insane. 3 breakaways last night?!

Last edited by dubplatepressure: 10-05-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old
10-05-2013, 07:43 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
I'd want a 1st. Bottom half 1sts and good prospects are usually the starting point in packages for young top 4 D.

Happy birthday to him, he turned 26 today.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:12 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
Happy birthday to him, he turned 26 today.
He has unreal wheels. Top 3 in the league easy. I love that Raymond brings that too.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say absolutely not from ANA perspective. Former 1st round center with size ready to take the jump, for an overpaid bottom pairing D who was waiver fodder?

Un bloody likely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Well we traded Colbourne to the Flames, for their 4th rd pick and he was a first round pick of Boston's and I'm not sure the Ducks wouldn't certainly, at least think about it.
Colborne is dirt cheap, Liles has a contract no one would take for free.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
10-05-2013, 09:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Breakaways good offense or bad defense?

----------------

Anyway, how are the Leafs trading one of their 3 top 4 defenders when they're looking at using a junior player because they have an injury on the blueline?

How does that make any sense?

Ranger has been so overrated because he played top minutes on a dreadful Lightning team 5 years ago.

Let's see if Gardiner can get his head on straight, Rielly is capable of playing against men, and Ranger can get back to NHL caliber before the Leafs start dumping effective, 21 minute a night 26 year old defenders.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Tyler Biggs*

Toronto is going to be a top tier team in a few years, Gardiner, Rielly, Percy, Blacker all coming up, Franson will be even better, Kadri, JVR and Kessel will be in their primes, perhaps 1st rounder Gauthier will become that number 1 centre, and our goaltending will be solid, good times coming in Leaf land.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Toronto is going to be a top tier team in a few years, Gardiner, Rielly, Percy, Blacker all coming up, Franson will be even better, Kadri, JVR and Kessel will be in their primes, perhaps 1st rounder Gauthier will become that number 1 centre, and our goaltending will be solid, good times coming in Leaf land.
Add Matt Finn to that group of D!

Old
10-05-2013, 05:37 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Breakaways good offense or bad defense?

----------------

Anyway, how are the Leafs trading one of their 3 top 4 defenders when they're looking at using a junior player because they have an injury on the blueline?

How does that make any sense?

Ranger has been so overrated because he played top minutes on a dreadful Lightning team 5 years ago.

Let's see if Gardiner can get his head on straight, Rielly is capable of playing against men, and Ranger can get back to NHL caliber before the Leafs start dumping effective, 21 minute a night 26 year old defenders.

Good point... not so sure.

Agree to some extent on Ranger... it seems to be shift by shift for him - some good, some bad(ish). I think once Reilly gets his look Liles will be back on the big club. Also agree on Gardiner - needs to focus.

Old
10-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Tyler Biggs*

Let's not get too cocky Leaf fans. We are a good team and we will go deep in the playoffs (hopefully). But that all depends on how much gas our young players will have after 82 games. We still need another big scorer up front and our defence looks a little soft still. It's a work in progress still. GO LEAFS GO!

Old
10-05-2013, 05:58 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Let's not get too cocky Leaf fans. We are a good team and we will go deep in the playoffs (hopefully). But that all depends on how much gas our young players will have after 82 games. We still need another big scorer up front and our defence looks a little soft still. It's a work in progress still. GO LEAFS GO!
I would say we're absolutely fine as far as scoring is concerned. Our blue line will make or break our season. If Gunnar struggles, Franson can't play 5v5, or Dion goes down for whatever reason, we're going to be in tough against opposing teams' top lines. Tonight is a huge test for us...

Old
10-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Tyler Biggs*

Raymond, Bernier and Bolland. All studs tonight. The Leafs best players tonight! Nonis Rules!

Old
10-06-2013, 07:09 AM
dubplatepressure

Yup. Bad game for the blue line though.... Lot of work to do still...

Old
10-06-2013, 08:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yup. Bad game for the blue line though.... Lot of work to do still...
They did seem to pull it together after the 4th. goal though.

But man were 4/6 of them dreadful. Franson and Ranger looked worse than Rielly who should have been the nervous one. Right off the start of the game the Sens got gift 3 open shots on net which Reimer stopped.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Tyler Biggs*

Scrivens and Frattin for Bernier may very well go down as one of the greatest trades in Maple Leafs history.

Closed Thread