HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Scrivens and Frattin for Bernier may very well go down as one of the greatest trades in Maple Leafs history.
Yeah, despite 90% of the people here complaining about it because we already had our starter, it was a slap in the face to Reimer and Frattin was too valuable to give up.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:36 AM
BayStreetBullies*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolas View Post
Yeah, despite 90% of the people here complaining about it because we already had our starter, it was a slap in the face to Reimer and Frattin was too valuable to give up.
I don't recall too many people losing sleep over trading Frattin.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:40 AM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

It's bittersweet, I love Reimer but Bernier looks amazing. Burke loves Reimer too, and Calgary needs a goalie. Too early to tell who will be better but I hope Nonis hangs onto the right one, whoever it may be. Go Leafs!

Old
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Can anyone see the huge value of Fraser now....the top +/- player on the team

He is the only true defensive D we have

Old
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
showtime8

I'm pumped that the Leafs have started 3 and 0, but a little concerned about one glaring area that could give the Leafs problems down the road: shots against.

Both goaltenders have seen way too many shots and very good scoring chances at that. The Leafs gave up 38 shots in Montreal and 36 shots at home to Ottawa. It got more respectable against Philadelphia only giving up 25, but at what point are the goaltenders not going to be able to save your backside each game?

I knew this defence would be suspect because of the lack of quality shutdown defencemen. And we've all heard the argument that Phaneuf is better suited to play 22 minutes a night instead of the 27:01, 26:32 & 25:05 that he's already played. But what choice does Carlyle have? Gardiner & Rielly are both not capable of shutting down anyone. Ranger has had a rough start to the season, but has shown signs that he will be coming on soon. Franson has improved greatly and also should give them a boost, but isn't the proto-typical "shutdown" guy. Fraser is injured and is a guy that can shutdown, but how much ice-time do you really want to give to him?

IMO, for the Leafs to succeed this season and get beyond the playoff bubble, they need to get a guy that can have a bigger impact with ice-time and shutting down players.

The name has been tossed out there this off-season, but Stephane Robidas could be a guy to target. Also, not the biggest name out there but Derek Morris from Phoenix could be a guy that would peak my interest.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I'm pumped that the Leafs have started 3 and 0, but a little concerned about one glaring area that could give the Leafs problems down the road: shots against.

Both goaltenders have seen way too many shots and very good scoring chances at that. The Leafs gave up 38 shots in Montreal and 36 shots at home to Ottawa. It got more respectable against Philadelphia only giving up 25, but at what point are the goaltenders not going to be able to save your backside each game?

I knew this defence would be suspect because of the lack of quality shutdown defencemen. And we've all heard the argument that Phaneuf is better suited to play 22 minutes a night instead of the 27:01, 26:32 & 25:05 that he's already played. But what choice does Carlyle have? Gardiner & Rielly are both not capable of shutting down anyone. Ranger has had a rough start to the season, but has shown signs that he will be coming on soon. Franson has improved greatly and also should give them a boost, but isn't the proto-typical "shutdown" guy. Fraser is injured and is a guy that can shutdown, but how much ice-time do you really want to give to him?

IMO, for the Leafs to succeed this season and get beyond the playoff bubble, they need to get a guy that can have a bigger impact with ice-time and shutting down players.

The name has been tossed out there this off-season, but Stephane Robidas could be a guy to target. Also, not the biggest name out there but Derek Morris from Phoenix could be a guy that would peak my interest.
the Leafs have always been the kind of team to be high up in shots against. its a little of the "live by the sword/die by the sword" mentality. and it's always been more of "quality of the shot" (which okay the last three games have been pretty much giftwrapped by our lack of defensive team play), but most of the time it's the sheer quantity.

but yeah we need another big minute muncher who can shut down.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Fraser is the best +/- player on the team and people are talking him down...

Old
10-06-2013, 12:46 PM
nidnus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Fraser is the best +/- player on the team and people are talking him down...
All summer people were calling him a scab, little do they know how valuable he really is. It makes me angry how useless ppl are unless they are under 23 yrs old

Old
10-06-2013, 12:59 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:

It'll be interesting to follow along this season and see if there is any differentiation in SOGA between Reimer and Bernier throughout the season. As you pointed out, the Flyers game is the only one where we allowed fewer than 30 shots, and last night Bernier faced 6 fewer shots than Reimer, despite having 4 more minutes of ice-time. Perhaps it could be attributed to Bernier's superior rebound-control, or maybe the way he calms down the guys in front of him, but 4 periods a piece is likely too small a sample-size to draw many conclusions just yet.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Watching Fraser push guys with one hand and defend the net is a thing of beauty and cant wait for him to return we will be much better when he does and much tougher

Old
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
It'll be interesting to follow along this season and see if there is any differentiation in SOGA between Reimer and Bernier throughout the season. As you pointed out, the Flyers game is the only one where we allowed fewer than 30 shots, and last night Bernier faced 6 fewer shots than Reimer, despite having 4 more minutes of ice-time. Perhaps it could be attributed to Bernier's superior rebound-control, or maybe the way he calms down the guys in front of him, but 4 periods a piece is likely too small a sample-size to draw many conclusions just yet.
Reimer plays great when his rebound control is working, he sucks when it isn't. Bernier is a puck sponge, rarely see him give up a significant rebound.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Leafs in 7

Where has Chuck Woods been ? Any News or Rumblings big guy?

Old
10-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 312
Here is to hoping that Gardiner and Reilly will both be full timers one day down the road. Would break my heart trading Jake

Old
10-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Leafs in 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
Here is to hoping that Gardiner and Reilly will both be full timers one day down the road. Would break my heart trading Jake
Yes but a Gardiner + Reimer package would net us a good player or prospect

Old
10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
samwitch

I wonder if the Rangers are likely to re-sign Girardi? If not, he would look real good with Phaneuf I think.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Gardiner + Kulemin for Girardi. Girardi comes with an extension

Old
10-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
is this him

Old
10-06-2013, 07:30 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
don't like that at all, we have a chance at him through free agency.

Reimer+Ranger(or gunnar)+1st for Ryan nugent hopkins.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

Although I agree, less shots is better, we haven't given up that great of quality shots.

TSN's gametracker is pretty neat, shows you where stuff like shots take place on the ice. And against Ottawa last night if you look at it, in the 3rd period it appears they only got 2 shots (out of 10) that took place below the hashmarks. And then another 5 shots were up close to the blueline near the boards. Still 5 shots, but you won't often score from up there.

http://gametracker-nhl.tsn.ca/17780

Old
10-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Feel bad for Gardiner, after the stuff with Caryle and now all the trade talk about him. Not sure how he can play 100% with all this **** on his mind.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Feel bad for Gardiner, after the stuff with Caryle and now all the trade talk about him. Not sure how he can play 100% with all this **** on his mind.
Why? He's a professional player making millions, besides everyone at somepoint is subject to trade rumours. The thing with Carlyle is just the media milking it for all its' worth, there is no "bad blood" between them, Carlyle made a comment about him not being in top form (which is true), he saw Jake taking too many risky plays and he pulled him aside to let him know where he went wrong/how to fix things it doesn't mean Carlyle has beef with him... just means Randy is doing his job.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:57 PM
tooncesmeow

Anyone else feel like this team is going nowhere? All these longterm deals with NTC's, the team is getting into its prime, into the point where it turns from a rebuild into a contender and they're still lacking key pieces. Toronto has depth, but they still need a 1C, a partner for Phaneuf, and for an all-star goalie. They haven't foudn any solutions. :/

Old
10-06-2013, 11:13 PM
FlowNoMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
Anyone else feel like this team is going nowhere? All these longterm deals with NTC's, the team is getting into its prime, into the point where it turns from a rebuild into a contender and they're still lacking key pieces. Toronto has depth, but they still need a 1C, a partner for Phaneuf, and for an all-star goalie. They haven't foudn any solutions. :/
There are 2-3 years from their 'prime' I'd think.

Kadri is the potential number 1 center
Gunnarsson can pair with Phaneuf for now
One of Bernier/Reimer is going to be a star, Bernier in particular based on his play / demeanor.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:17 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
There are 2-3 years from their 'prime' I'd think.

Kadri is the potential number 1 center
Gunnarsson can pair with Phaneuf for now
One of Bernier/Reimer is going to be a star, Bernier in particular based on his play / demeanor.
Just seems like Bozak is so average, at most he looks like a 3C. I don't think Kadri has the potential to be a true 1C, maybe a high-end 2C like Mike Ribeiro, and Bernier/Reimer have a future but Toronto needs ot stop and just pick one already.

Still need to make a move to lock someone up down the middle that is a gamechanger, and a top D to help Phaneuf. Toronto also needs a go-to PK guy/heavy hitter similar to Hjalmarsson, Scuderi, etc.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
Just seems like Bozak is so average, at most he looks like a 3C. I don't think Kadri has the potential to be a true 1C, maybe a high-end 2C like Mike Ribeiro, and Bernier/Reimer have a future but Toronto needs ot stop and just pick one already.

Still need to make a move to lock someone up down the middle that is a gamechanger, and a top D to help Phaneuf. Toronto also needs a go-to PK guy/heavy hitter similar to Hjalmarsson, Scuderi, etc.
First bold, what? The season just started, it's only been three games. How fast do you want them to decide? The goalie situation will sort itself out in time. One of them will prove they're star quality before seasons end.

Second bold, why? Our PK is one of the best in the league, and mark Fraser is a capable tough defensive guy, and Phaneuf can throw big hits at times.

Closed Thread