HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
People, please lift your heads up.......stop looking at your shoes and look down the road. The Leafs aren't contending for the cup this year or next. Why trade Gardnier now? He's growing into a stud D man, and should peak just at the right time. Sure he looks like a defensive liability at times, but honestly who on the Leafs defence doesn't? Dion is the guy to trade, already overpaid, will want even more money next contract, and has good trade value. Packaged with other assets could get a #1 centre in return while freeing up cap space going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Completely disagree. Giving up on Gardiner right now would be a huge mistake...assuming they don't steal another young player with upside in return. Gardiner is my favourite Leafs D. What they should be looking for, is a better stay at home D to pair him up with.
I agree.

Leafs should be looking further down the road.

Burke seems to love Phaneuf.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Naah, more like trading a soft 3rd. pairing defender for a tough defensive minded 2nd. pairing defender and dumping a mistake contract in the deal.
Trading one of the best skating players in hockey, who's been a top-4 defenseman since the moment he stepped into the league, for a bottom pair bust on one of the worst d-corps in the league. yikes.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
People, please lift your heads up.......stop looking at your shoes and look down the road. The Leafs aren't contending for the cup this year or next.
yes they are.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:04 PM
zeke
#freewilly

"I really like what we're doing here, what direction the team is headed in," Phaneuf told LeBrun, saying talks are now in the hands of Newport. "They'll get together and talk, they'll handle it."

Old
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Tyler Biggs*

We're still soft defensively, not to mention still pretty bad at clearing the puck out of our end.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
yes they are.
prepare to be disappointed.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Trading one of the best skating players in hockey, who's been a top-4 defenseman since the moment he stepped into the league, for a bottom pair bust on one of the worst d-corps in the league. yikes.

You're serverly overrating Gardiner while terribly underrating Smid.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:03 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
You're slightly overrating Gardiner while barely underrating Smid.
Fixed that for you.

Gardiner's upside is clear and away better than Smid. You don't trade a player like Gardiner for Smid.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
They definitely won't be a top contender but they could actually surprise. The Leafs have a pretty balanced team, and really if the defense could actually get itself sorted out, they very well could do some damage in the playoffs.

The Leafs can score, and score well. They have one of the most potent offenses in the league and can roll out more than one scoring threat per line. KVR/Kessel is undoubtedly the top line but after them you have legit top 6 threats in Lupul and Kadri, plus guy like Kulemin (severly underrated offensively. He often does a ton of the work on goals but doesn't see his name on the stat sheet), Bolland, Raymond, Clarkson who can all do damage.

You have high end defensive play in McClement and Bolland.

Two talented goalies, meaning you can change on the fly if one struggles.

They are one of the fastest teams in the league, and tehy won't get beat up by other teams either.

If Carlyle can get something meshing in the defensive core, than you have yourself a pretty competitive team.

I know Leaf fans are used to being told we can't do much, but this is a team that will surprise a lot of people if they expect it to struggle or be a bubble playoff team.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Fixed that for you.

Gardiner's upside is clear and away better than Smid. You don't trade a player like Gardiner for Smid.
Gardiner certainly hasn't been top 4 "since the moment he came into the league".

He's had ups and downs; I won't deny his potential is sky-high (and wasn't suggesting we trade him for Smid). But you can't deny he's been inconsistent.

Smid is a very underrated player. Again, not proposing a swap. Simply saying that Smid gets a lot of flak just because he plays for a crappy team. He's instantly be our most relied upon dman defensively, along with Dion (which is exactly what we need to find).

Old
10-07-2013, 05:18 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
They definitely won't be a top contender but they could actually surprise. The Leafs have a pretty balanced team, and really if the defense could actually get itself sorted out, they very well could do some damage in the playoffs.

The Leafs can score, and score well. They have one of the most potent offenses in the league and can roll out more than one scoring threat per line. KVR/Kessel is undoubtedly the top line but after them you have legit top 6 threats in Lupul and Kadri, plus guy like Kulemin (severly underrated offensively. He often does a ton of the work on goals but doesn't see his name on the stat sheet), Bolland, Raymond, Clarkson who can all do damage.

You have high end defensive play in McClement and Bolland.

Two talented goalies, meaning you can change on the fly if one struggles.

They are one of the fastest teams in the league, and tehy won't get beat up by other teams either.

If Carlyle can get something meshing in the defensive core, than you have yourself a pretty competitive team.

I know Leaf fans are used to being told we can't do much, but this is a team that will surprise a lot of people if they expect it to struggle or be a bubble playoff team.
Anything could happen, but be realistic Vegas odds are 20 to 1, I for one wouldn't bet the farm.........

Old
10-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I don't think us giving Boston their hardest match up in the playoffs was a fluke.

Are we the BEST team in the east? No.

Can we COMPETE with any team in the east? Yes.

We won't walk over any team, but we won't get walked over either. Nobody is now able to beat us anywhere, anytime. And one thing that I believe is a big reason for that which is often missed is our coach. Randy Carlyle has won a cup so he knows what it takes and has shown that he can and is willing to change the game plan on the fly. Just the other night against Philly, Kadri wasn't going so he moved Bolland up. The result ended up being Bolland scored 2 goals and us winning the game. Same thing last year in the playoffs. We got destroyed in the first game so he inserted more speed in the line up for the next game trying to beat the Bruins that way instead and it worked.

Players are talked about all the time but coaching is one thing that is left out all the time. In the east, there are only a handful of guys that I would say are better at it than he is.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
TimeZone
Better than Eichel

Quote:
Open your eyes. This isn't 2008 anymore...the leafs ARE legit contenders. Do I expect them to win the cup? No. but they're more than a bottom-seeded playoff team at this point.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
Open your eyes. This isn't 2008 anymore...the leafs ARE legit contenders. Do I expect them to win the cup? No. but they're more than a bottom-seeded playoff team at this point.
and people wonder why a traditional rebuild won't work in Toronto.....................the Leaf are about half way to being a contender........not for one year, but year in year out. Hopefully Nonis is looking at the long game.

Old
10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I don't think us giving Boston their hardest match up in the playoffs was a fluke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
Chicago was Boston's toughest match up .

If you believe we're legit contenders then you should expect them to have a legit chance of winning the cup . Nonis has done an excellent job of clearing out the trash and adding solid players who fit our needs in a very short time .

We've improved but we're not going deep in the playoffs playing as sloppy as we have been . It's still early but I don't see Nonis sitting on his hands if we keep playing like we are . The wins are great but you can't rely on our goalies to bail us out the entire season .

RC and Nonis aren't stupid and they both know the key to going deep in the playoffs is to play as error free hockey as we can . I could see him moving a major piece for a solid young defensive D if our play doesn't tighten up .

Old
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Chicago was Boston's toughest match up .

If you believe we're legit contenders then you should expect them to have a legit chance of winning the cup . Nonis has done an excellent job of clearing out the trash and adding solid players who fit our needs in a very short time .

We've improved but we're not going deep in the playoffs playing as sloppy as we have been . It's still early but I don't see Nonis sitting on his hands if we keep playing like we are . The wins are great but you can't rely on our goalies to bail us out the entire season .

RC and Nonis aren't stupid and they both know the key to going deep in the playoffs is to play as error free hockey as we can . I could see him moving a major piece for a solid young defensive D if our play doesn't tighten up .
Oops, my mistake, I meant to put in the east somewhere in there. You are right.

Old
10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
and people wonder why a traditional rebuild won't work in Toronto.....................the Leaf are about half way to being a contender........not for one year, but year in year out. Hopefully Nonis is looking at the long game.
Why wouldn't it have worked ? We missed the playoffs for almost a decade and the arena was still full .

Old
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
LEAFSIN4

Only reason I don't want to move a guy like Gardiner right now is because until his UFA contract he will always be a cheap PMD with huge potential. That type of asset should only be traded in packages to get better players (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc)

Teams like, Edmonton, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, NYR, Washington, and San Jose all are facing pressure to either win or change it up and they all have impact players that may be moved depending on how their season goes.

Point is, wait till the deadline and see who's in a desperate situation.

Personally, I would try to do a deal with Vancouver for Kesler if they decide to go into rebuild mode.

Bozak+Gardiner for Kesler?

Old
10-07-2013, 06:29 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFSIN4 View Post
Only reason I don't want to move a guy like Gardiner right now is because until his UFA contract he will always be a cheap PMD with huge potential. That type of asset should only be traded in packages to get better players (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc)

Teams like, Edmonton, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, NYR, Washington, and San Jose all are facing pressure to either win or change it up and they all have impact players that may be moved depending on how their season goes.

Point is, wait till the deadline and see who's in a desperate situation.

Personally, I would try to do a deal with Vancouver for Kesler if they decide to go into rebuild mode.

Bozak+Gardiner for Kesler?
Kessler is not the same player he once was. he's broken down, and isnt afraid to dive when injuries dont get in the way.

Old
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Kopitar would be awesome. They could then move Carter in the middle. Highly unlikely the Kings move him though.

What makes the most sense is something around Gardiner for O'Reilly at the trade DL
so your willing to trade a very good young dman on an entry level contract
for a maybe 2nd line center who has to be qualified next year at over
6M a year.

wow just wow

so if we do that we cant sign any of phaneuf bolland franson
or kulemin

Old
10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
highslot

mackinnon makes more sense although we might have to give up more than gardiner.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Anything could happen, but be realistic Vegas odds are 20 to 1, I for one wouldn't bet the farm.........

Vegas odds had Jays as the best team in baseball.

This gives your argument ZERO validity.

Nevermind, you get negative validity.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Larcos_Unal

Quote:
Originally Posted by highslot View Post
mackinnon makes more sense although we might have to give up more than gardiner.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

JVR, Gardiner, Gauthier for MacKinnon... I would do it.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:51 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
so if we do that we cant sign any of phaneuf bolland franson
or kulemin
Not going to get into the trade aspect of this but quoted is so wrong, I don't know where to start. Either you think those guys are going to make around 1.5 million each or you think the cap is going down. (Which it's not). I wish people would understand that the cap is going to rise.

Closed Thread