HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area & Season Ticket Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 12:14 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueAndRed View Post
Twice defend went from $24 -> $27 this season which isn't the end of the world. But a jump to $40 something would be untenable for 44 games.
Agreed, but notice how you didnt an eyelash at that a not insignificant 12.5% jump?

Makes one wonder if you'd bat an eyelash next year if you're paying $30 for those seats.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Agreed, but notice how you didnt an eyelash at that a not insignificant 12.5% jump?

Makes one wonder if you'd bat an eyelash next year if you're paying $30 for those seats.
I would think so. You like to talk about the economic feasibility of season ticket plans and it becomes extremely doubtful for those seats once the $30 barrier is crossed.

Old
11-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
I saw a notice in row 9 of the defend twice balconies (the current STH price is $27) offering the seat for a STH price of $35. That is a nearly 30% increase in what is very likely the most price sensitive part of the arena.

The defend twice balconies were pretty much sold out since the introduction of the $22 seats but I have noticed this season (despite adding another 2,000 STHs) that there are plenty available for single game purchase. I suspect that there was a migration back to the uppers because the STH prices were improved there with the reinstatement of different pricing tiers (center, sides, corners).

The defend twice balconies are going to return to being a complete ghost town if this is their pricing strategy. People will either pay a bit more to move back to the uppers or drop their plans altogether if their price range does not exceed $30.

It is even worse for row 9 in the defend twice balconies because it was moved from the cheapest tier (which went from $22 to $23 this season) to the middle tier (which went from $24 to $27 as you said). Those STHs got hit with a $5 increase and now might face another $8 in the span of two seasons. This is completely unsustainable especially in a section of the arena very likely filled with bargain hunters.
I got hit with this this year. I was row 9 of 121 and went from $22 to $27 (almost a 25% increase). I renewed but moved back a few rows on relocation day to the now $23 tier. If they make another major increase next year, I'm dropping my ST and will just use StubHub to go to most games.

Old
11-03-2013, 06:28 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Yeah jumping from $22 to $27 in one season is one thing...going from $22 to say, $35 in two seasons is another. That'd be above a 50% increase for a team not likely to make the playoffs for either season and when extra (mostly single for me) tickets are getting even harder to sell due to a variety of factors.

Like gic intimated, raising the prices is also the surest way to get the 'rowdy' element out of the building (although I wouldn't qualify myself in that). Good luck to the Devils trying to fill those seats after, seems like they'd rather have a 8000-9000 wine-and-cheese crowd than a 14-15,000 crowd of actual fans.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 11-03-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old
11-03-2013, 07:24 AM
BigBlueAndRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

The boiling frog scenario. I'd probably talk it over with the other STHs I sit with in the section about moving to a comparable price section with another increase like that.

I love going to Devils games, but except for the premium games (and playoffs), it's been fairly easy to buy tickets below face value on Stubhub the last few season when I wanted to bring a bunch of friends.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:09 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Like gic intimated, raising the prices is also the surest way to get the 'rowdy' element out of the building (although I wouldn't qualify myself in that). Good luck to the Devils trying to fill those seats after, seems like they'd rather have a 8000-9000 wine-and-cheese crowd than a 14-15,000 crowd of actual fans.
This is absurd paranoia. The Devils change a goal song and dont (very understandably) want people yelling sucks/swallows, and all of a sudden you think they're trying to turn it into a higher-class sort of PGA or ATP event? Do you honestly believe this? Truly? Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueAndRed View Post
The boiling frog scenario.
Exactly.

I cant prove that that's what's going on (it might not be), but there is at least consumer behaviour data to support that pricing rationale. It is, however, just as likely that someone who prices at the Devils has decided they no longer want very cheap ST. The one thing I do know is that the Devils ticket ops has turned the significant opportunity a brand new arena in 2007 represented into an absolute mess. They screwed the pooch from day 1 with idiotic pricing schemes.

Of course, not all of it was bad. I long for the days of selling my $35 ST, buying an UL ticket for $20, and then sitting on the restaurant ledge with a full belly of prime roast., salad, potatoes, dessert etc....for roughly $60.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:42 AM
sbresistor

biggest problem for the Devils is not enough demand pure and simple

But along with that, they took an unnecessary risk by not allowing season ticket holders to purchase presale tickets at a much better discount. They essentially bet that the Devils would have a decent record and would able to move more seats at "crazy" high prices. Maybe they hedged this risk in some way, but it still leads to smaller crowds in the end because the team is terrible and last minute sales will be less.

I wonder what the season ticket presale sold numbers per game last year vs. this year are.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post

But along with that, they took an unnecessary risk by not allowing season ticket holders to purchase presale tickets at a much better discount. They essentially bet that the Devils would have a decent record and would able to move more seats at "crazy" high prices. Maybe they hedged this risk in some way, but it still leads to smaller crowds in the end because the team is terrible and last minute sales will be less.

I wonder what the season ticket presale sold numbers per game last year vs. this year are.
I bought a lot of extras last year at the offered discount. This year, I bought none. I've used the secondary market this year where you can find tickets to most games near, at, or even below ST cost.

They made such a big deal the last couple years bragging about how many new STH's they had. But keep raising prices, even after losing seasons, while limiting STH benefits and making unpopular changes to the game experience, and there will be a mass exodus of STH's.

And with their nutso single game prices...geez. Sometimes I look at the face price of my ticket and just have to laugh. Last night was $77. Add in the $10 worth of TM fees, it's hard to imagine someone paying almost $90 for my seat.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
I'm in agreement with the lot of you regarding the Devils lowering prices to the basement as some long-time plan to raise them and kind of handcuff renewals to either stick around or move.

All of this seems like incredibly poor timing. Everything is going down the toilet and you're going to post signs where STH say "hmm, I don't pay that much for this seat. Are they seriously considering raising prices for next year? Are they that stupid? I DEFINITELY won't renew now..."

Old
11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post

Oh significantly less. I can almost guarantee you that. They had the crazy 50% off promotion. Now I believe prices were a ton more expensive in comparison.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Informative article in The Record yesterday about new food options at the Rock (it also covers MSG for the curious). I found the quoted interesting:

Quote:
A walk around the Pru Center with Marinos [new executive chef] reveals a theme of his work since coming over earlier this year from a similar position at Citi Field. He mentions taking something "to the next level" repeatedly.

While Aramark makes the food decisions, the Devils' new ownership had been involved, Marinos said.

"We've been working closely with them," he said. "We're really excited about the effort to make this Jersey."
It would be nice if they could put the "of Newark" back into the Tastes of Newark section instead of the Aramark impostors that currently reside there.

http://www.northjersey.com/food_dini....html?page=all

Closed Thread