HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bruins/Hawks Game Six Oddity

Old
08-24-2013, 02:53 AM
brec7

vCash: 500
Bruins/Hawks Game Six Oddity

This is actually somewhat inspired by my posting in the the Canes/Devils thread below.

Everyone likely remembers the crazy finish to game 6 of this year's Stanley Cup final. The Hawks were down a goal late, put the extra attacker on the ice and tied the game.... and then shocked everyone even more when they scored the go ahead goal seconds later. Of course, there was still 50 some seconds left to play.

Naturally, when the Bruins gained the Hawks zone, they pulled the goalie in an attempt to tie the game. This means both teams pulled the goalie in an attempt to score a late tying goal... of the same game.

Can anyone else recall this happening before? My first thought was that it might have happened in that Canes/Devils game 7 but I'm certain Ward was still in Carolina's net when the tying goal was scored. Logic would dictate it's a rare occurrence- a team has to be down 2 goals with under 2 minutes left, then score 2 goals with enough time left for the newly trailing team to gain the offensive zone at least once.

brec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I'm trying to think of a game with a wild finish. There are lots of them, but those games often end up in overtime.

Off the top of my head, the closest game I can think of was Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup. USA scored (the Hull tip in shot) with about 3 minutes left. Amonte scored 45 seconds after that and then Canada has to pull the goalie and Gretzky misses with that puck going over his stick. USA didn't pull the goaile, but they came very close to doing so.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote