HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Jared McCann (2014, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, FLA)

Old
04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
A lot was made of Curtis Lazar's production last season, too. He was fifth on his team in scoring, and while he certainly didn't get top line minutes he played mostly with top prospects Mitch Moroz and Henrik Samuelsson. He also played on the top PP unit.

I spent most of last season urging everyone to forget about his lack of elite level point production. I've never watched McCann play, so I can't say it with the same authority I could with Lazar, but I think it'd be hypocritical for me to bash McCann.
Hasn't stopped any of the others from throwing their opinion out. My favorites are the one's who say he played mostly with Tolchinsky and not Watling/Bunting/Moore/Fritsch. He had 27 points all season with Tolchinsky, and 15 were on the PP and mostly from the beginning of the season. The same was true in the playoffs. He outscored Tolchinsky while only getting 2 of his 7 points with him. Somehow a guy not good enough to get drafted is the reason for the 12th rated player in an NHL draft, but the other players aren't given the same cons playing on stacked teams or with other high scoring but drafted players.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
My guess...he's referring to McCann turning into a Little type as a pro, not as a junior.
I get it... the challenge is trying to project to the pros from junior. My point is that Little was a much more dominant junior scorer than McCann, and perhaps that should be taken into consideration when trying to project McCann's pro potential vis-a-vis Little.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:26 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I get it... the challenge is trying to project to the pros from junior. My point is that Little was a much more dominant junior scorer than McCann, and perhaps that should be taken into consideration when trying to project McCann's pro potential vis-a-vis Little.
Yea I see both sides of this....McCann plays a Little style game but he is far less developed along that path than Little was at the same age. Little was already a dominant Junior and by far the best player on his team whereas McCann seems to be less physically mature at the same age. I like McCann and if he could become a Bryan Little clone one day he would be a heck of a draft pick this season

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM
saska sault

Little produced 100+ points in his 3rd year of junior. Little scored 6 more points in his second year then McCann did.. McCann out produced Little in his 2nd year in the playoffs. Both very similar stats in their second junior year. I don't remember who was on that team exactly, but I believe Little was the go to guy that year for the Colts... McCann has not been as it has already been stated. Comparing their stats in their draft year is not exactly fair as Little had an extra year of development.. Lets see how McCann produces next year as the go to guy and also in his 3rd year.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Little produced 100+ points in his 3rd year of junior. Little scored 6 more points in his second year then McCann did.. McCann out produced Little in his 2nd year in the playoffs. Both very similar stats in their second junior year. I don't remember who was on that team exactly, but I believe Little was the go to guy that year for the Colts... McCann has not been as it has already been stated. Comparing their stats in their draft year is not exactly fair as Little had an extra year of development.. Lets see how McCann produces next year as the go to guy and also in his 3rd year.
We my well end up with McCann in Winnipeg and I would be fine with that and I do get talking about how many years they have played in the OHL but at the end of the day oranges to oranges probably gets won by draft year vs draft year no?

For the record in Little's first year in the OHL (2 years before draft) he had 58 points compared to McCann's 44 points in his first year (one year before the draft). In their pre draft year Little had 68 points to McCann's 44 points and in their draft year Little had 109 points to McCann's 62 points. I believe its safe to say Bryan's development was more advanced as a junior every step of the way up to the draft but McCann is not physically mature yet so we might see a big jump next season especially if his role changes as well.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
A lot was made of Curtis Lazar's production last season, too. He was fifth on his team in scoring, and while he certainly didn't get top line minutes he played mostly with top prospects Mitch Moroz and Henrik Samuelsson. He also played on the top PP unit.

I spent most of last season urging everyone to forget about his lack of elite level point production. I've never watched McCann play, so I can't say it with the same authority I could with Lazar, but I think it'd be hypocritical for me to bash McCann.
It's actually not a horrible comparison, although Lazar's a much better pure goal scorer, so his upside is probably a bit higher. His 38 goals in in his draft year is tremendous, and he led his team in goals, which is saying something given some of the talent and depth ahead of him in terms of guys like St. Croix on the team as 1st line center, amongst others.

That said, it is also not unreasonable to expect Lazar as a potential elite 3rd line center, or perhaps just a solid two-way 2nd line guy. I would not be surprised if he never cracks 70 points at the NHL level. I love the guy, but we can't get carried away about his upside, as he is an up and down, shoot first center. They don't tend to put up huge numbers. He'll probably be one of those 25-25 guys, who cracks 30 maybe a few times. Perhaps not unlike the production you see from Mike Richards, which has always been up and down quite a bit, depending on how his team used him. Of course, if ends up with a winger like Drouin (like at the WJC), he'll obviously produce bigger numbers, but only in a scenario where he has an elite talent on his wing, or at center and he moves to the wing (quite possible).

And McCann isn't really at Lazar's level as a goal scorer, nor an elite play maker either as far as I can tell.

McCann's probably as sure an NHLer as anyone after the first half dozen picks or so, but I wouldn't surprised if he ends up as just a solid 15-15 type of guy who has to craft our a role in the bottom 6 on a team. You these from 1st rounders often, which people tend to forget. A career like a Paille or Malhotra would not be a surprise.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 02:38 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
We my well end up with McCann in Winnipeg and I would be fine with that and I do get talking about how many years they have played in the OHL but at the end of the day oranges to oranges probably gets won by draft year vs draft year no?

For the record in Little's first year in the OHL (2 years before draft) he had 58 points compared to McCann's 44 points in his first year (one year before the draft). In their pre draft year Little had 68 points to McCann's 44 points and in their draft year Little had 109 points to McCann's 62 points. I believe its safe to say Bryan's development was more advanced as a junior every step of the way up to the draft but McCann is not physically mature yet so we might see a big jump next season especially if his role changes as well.
I agree with saying draft vs draft year is fair.. I was just stating having an extra year of development in the same league usually helps. Not a knock against Little at all, as he was and is a heck of a player. Im just saying for comparing their draft years its not exactly a fair comparison if one player is a late birthday and gets the extra year to adjust to the league.

Comparing playing styles is a safe bet, compare the point totals in McCann's 3rd year to Little in his 3rd.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Amadeus
The Magician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
That's true but it's just a feeling. McCann is given a more two way role.on the team. He has the skill to score, that's for sure, and I think it'll translate like Little's.

Little was projected to score more but became a two-way guy. Wasn't expected.

04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
I agree with saying draft vs draft year is fair.. I was just stating having an extra year of development in the same league usually helps. Not a knock against Little at all, as he was and is a heck of a player. Im just saying for comparing their draft years its not exactly a fair comparison if one player is a late birthday and gets the extra year to adjust to the league.
Yea Little was born in November so he was old for his draft class and McCann was born in May so there is half a year’s difference in age. I also take into account McCann's late physical development and his usage and it makes me think he will have a very good draft +1 and +2 seasons. Lots to like about a kid that plays the game like Jared. He feels like a Jets type.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
This "development year" stuff is always over blown. They are only 6 months apart in birthdays, and as a result, McCann would have been more physically ready and developed when he entered the OHL given he was older when he was a rookie than when Little was. And even in Little's 2nd year of junior, when he was 6 months younger than McCann was this year, he still led his team in scoring. McCann was outscored by his line mate by 30 points this season. More importantly, Little stood out on the ice as a dominant scorer. McCann doesn't really come off that way.

I tend to put a lot of stock into where a guy's point production is relative to his line mates and team mates. You will often uncover some real gems that way. I still remember Mike Green putting up only 39 points in his draft year, so people weren't sure about his offensive upside, but his points per game was WAY better than anyone on the team - including all the forwards. Once surrounded by some equal talent, his offence took off. The opposite is often true of guys who were drafted high because of good numbers, but their line mates had a lot more to do with it. Sam Gagner put up huge numbers, but was the third highest scorer on his line. Edmonton taking him over Voracek or Couture was a mistake. Couture scored 40 less points or so than Gagner in the OHL that year as I recall, but was clearly the best offensive player on a mediocre 67's squad. And he is a more offensive gifted player. Don't get me wrong, Gagner was still talented, but just not elite 1st line material like many thought.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:51 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:

Comparing playing styles is a safe bet, compare the point totals in McCann's 3rd year to Little in his 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
That's true but it's just a feeling. McCann is given a more two way role.on the team. He has the skill to score, that's for sure, and I think it'll translate like Little's.

Little was projected to score more but became a two-way guy. Wasn't expected.

Just to be clear I am a huge Little fan and think he is an EXCELLANT 2 way player and a darling of the advanced stats community so this is not a knock on McCann at all.

Old
04-25-2014, 03:10 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
This "development year" stuff is always over blown. They are only 6 months apart in birthdays, and as a result, McCann would have been more physically ready and developed when he entered the OHL given he was older when he was a rookie than when Little was. And even in Little's 2nd year of junior, when he was 6 months younger than McCann was this year, he still led his team in scoring. McCann was outscored by his line mate by 30 points this season. More importantly, Little stood out on the ice as a dominant scorer. McCann doesn't really come off that way.

I tend to put a lot of stock into where a guy's point production is relative to his line mates and team mates. You will often uncover some real gems that way. I still remember Mike Green putting up only 39 points in his draft year, so people weren't sure about his offensive upside, but his points per game was WAY better than anyone on the team - including all the forwards. Once surrounded by some equal talent, his offence took off. The opposite is often true of guys who were drafted high because of good numbers, but their line mates had a lot more to do with it. Sam Gagner put up huge numbers, but was the third highest scorer on his line. Edmonton taking him over Voracek or Couture was a mistake. Couture scored 40 less points or so than Gagner in the OHL that year as I recall, but was clearly the best offensive player on a mediocre 67's squad. And he is a more offensive gifted player. Don't get me wrong, Gagner was still talented, but just not elite 1st line material like many thought.
Tolchinsky having 30 more points has no relation to McCann.. Tolchinsky was on the top line, and played first unit PP all season, also Tolchinsky was criticized all year for his lack of effort in his own end, resulting in him not playing PK at all. Tolchinsky was relied on to score only and played on a separate line for 90% of the season.

As for the extra year of junior before being drafted, I understand Little was younger during his 2nd year then McCann would be. I was only stating having an extra year of development in the OHL would only help you produce and become a more rounded player before the draft. Usually two similar players, in the same league, the same position.. if one is allowed to have 3 years vs 2 years, it will usually work in favor of the player with the extra year. Now if McCann becomes a player close to ask good as Little in the NHL, I think we can all agree that would be close to what his projects to be.

Old
04-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post

He had 12 points with Tolchinsky ES. How is that his linemate? Do you even watch the Hounds play?

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Whileee

Beyond the numbers, based on a limited viewing of McCann during the U-18 I just don't see a lot of "pop" to his game, and he made a number of plays that suggested some lack of hockey sense. I'd be interested to hear more about him that would provide justification for a top-10 pick.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
He had 12 points with Tolchinsky ES. How is that his linemate? Do you even watch the Hounds play?
I have watched them play several times, but I'm not a season ticket holder or Hounds fan or Hounds hater. I'm objective.

As to their playing together, there was reference to the two playing together early in the year, and the articles are easy enough to find. Here is one:
http://www.saultstar.com/2013/10/01/...mpelling-combo

As noted in the article, McCann was off to a really hot start with Tolchinsky, including four goals in a game playing with him, but by the sounds of your comments, like they were separated at ES as the season went on or at times. Not a huge surprise he cooled off in terms of production, when not with Tolchinksy. And when I did see the Hounds play, McCann was on the 1st PP unit with Tolchinsky, where a third of his goals came from this season, so clearly he benefitted from him later in the season too. I don't recall whether they were on the same line at ES, but I had thought they were.

But don't get me wrong, I'd take McCann over Tolchinsky. I'd love to have him on the Sens. If the Sens draft him with their 2nd rounder, I'd be quite pleased. But If I'm drafting in the top 15, I don't take McCann. At that point, there are plenty of forwards with much higher offensive talents, including OHLers like Fabri, Perlini and Ho-Sang. A bit more risk, but no question higher upside.

Old
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Sergei Shirokov

I thought he was very inconsistent on a shift to shift basis today.

He would have some shifts were he was flying, forechecking well, making nice passes & plays.

Others he would be floating, unengaged and just lacking the drive some of the other guys had.

His tools were very apparent, he just needs to work on playing with an edge more consistently. He should have a good year next year.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 12:04 AM
weems

Today looks like whats prolly a typical game for McCann.

He was good on the draw.
Showed his elite speed.
Made a few nice plays offensively.
Looked effective on the halfboard on the PP.

He didnt standout like Virtanen did but have a quietly solid game.

I think once he gets stronger and is giving a bit more of a role offensive he should really bust out.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Today looks like whats prolly a typical game for McCann.

He was good on the draw.
Showed his elite speed.
Made a few nice plays offensively.
Looked effective on the halfboard on the PP.

He didnt standout like Virtanen did but have a quietly solid game.

I think once he gets stronger and is giving a bit more of a role offensive he should really bust out.
So in your own words he was ineffective and failed to make an impact for a team that needed him to step up.

This whole tournament I did not see the kid I personally thought was going to contend at the top of the draft. He had 2-3 nice shifts a game, but lost the puck a ton being the architect of many broken plays and failing to be a relied upon player.

I just don't think he has top line guy in him ATM.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:41 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
So in your own words he was ineffective and failed to make an impact for a team that needed him to step up.

This whole tournament I did not see the kid I personally thought was going to contend at the top of the draft. He had 2-3 nice shifts a game, but lost the puck a ton being the architect of many broken plays and failing to be a relied upon player.

I just don't think he has top line guy in him ATM.
People are way to critical of the kid for lack of production. He impacts the game the same way a Ryan Kesler or Martin Hanzal do... obviously not the same players but the contribute great defensive plays, work hard and have the potential to light the lamp and make plays. Probably has the best wrist shot in the draft. Drafting a kid with offensive potential is great, sure he can put up numbers in junior but so could Rob Schremp.. how did that work out? Having a player that can already play both ends of the ice and has the skills to improve offensively is something I would draft any day of the week before a one dimensional player.

Old
05-03-2014, 06:11 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
People are way to critical of the kid for lack of production. He impacts the game the same way a Ryan Kesler or Martin Hanzal do... obviously not the same players but the contribute great defensive plays, work hard and have the potential to light the lamp and make plays. Probably has the best wrist shot in the draft. Drafting a kid with offensive potential is great, sure he can put up numbers in junior but so could Rob Schremp.. how did that work out? Having a player that can already play both ends of the ice and has the skills to improve offensively is something I would draft any day of the week before a one dimensional player.
I think we could see a bit of Joe Pavelski in McCann. Do-everything centre or winger with a rocket of a shot. He will be a very, very, valuable two-way player going forward and it looks like someone will get a great player in the latter half of the 1st here. Look for his points to jump next year for sure. Soo should be a force next year if Halverson can lock things down in net and McCann will be a big, big part of that. I've seen him play in excess of 20 minutes on more than a few occasions. There is no doubt fatigue was getting to him at points of this season and even during games sometimes, he was being asked to do a lot offensively and defensively at times.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
A strong blend of offense and defense awareness, McCann thrives at both ends of the ice. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound pivot has displayed an ability all season to not only bury the puck in his opponents net, but thwart that opponent from doing the same on his own net. McCann managed a respectable 27 goals and 62 points in 64 OHL games.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-d...untdown-15-11/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Sergei Shirokov

I kind of like Corniel more than McCann, they had similar point totals, and I like the size advantage Corniel has, he's also a good two-way player, with good playmaking ability and has a great shot himself.

I know some lists have McCann alot higher than guys like Bleackley, Corniel & even higher than Barbashev, but I don't really see how he is all that much better than any of them, to me Barbashev is the best, then the other 3 are in a similar class.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way?

Old
06-25-2014, 02:53 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I kind of like Corniel more than McCann, they had similar point totals, and I like the size advantage Corniel has, he's also a good two-way player, with good playmaking ability and has a great shot himself.

I know some lists have McCann alot higher than guys like Bleackley, Corniel & even higher than Barbashev, but I don't really see how he is all that much better than any of them, to me Barbashev is the best, then the other 3 are in a similar class.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way?
I definitely agree that Barbashev is the cream of those players. I made my first and only list of the top 30 a few days ago and put McCann (early teens) not far behind Barbashev (#9) and considerably above Bleackley and Cornel (mid/late 20's). If I were to sit and re-evaluate, bumping McCann down a couple spots would probably be one of the things I'd do, but I do feel he's a better prospect than Bleackley and Cornel. Out of Bleackley and Cornel, Cornel's the guy I could see us sitting here at this time next year talking about how he's drawn even or surpassed McCann.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:13 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I definitely agree that Barbashev is the cream of those players. I made my first and only list of the top 30 a few days ago and put McCann (early teens) not far behind Barbashev (#9) and considerably above Bleackley and Cornel (mid/late 20's). If I were to sit and re-evaluate, bumping McCann down a couple spots would probably be one of the things I'd do, but I do feel he's a better prospect than Bleackley and Cornel. Out of Bleackley and Cornel, Cornel's the guy I could see us sitting here at this time next year talking about how he's drawn even or surpassed McCann.
What about Larkin? He's another guy I have in that class, though I question if he has the upside of those 4 offensively?

On my list I currently have Corniel at 23, McCann & Bleackley at 25 & 26, then Larkin at 27.

Old
06-25-2014, 03:47 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
What about Larkin? He's another guy I have in that class, though I question if he has the upside of those 4 offensively?

On my list I currently have Corniel at 23, McCann & Bleackley at 25 & 26, then Larkin at 27.
I had Larkin at #21 which is basically between McCann and Bleackley/Cornel. His offensive production at the next level is definitely a question but I think he's better at all of the other things than these guys, at least from what I got to see of the USNDTP this year. It's all so close in this draft. I feel really confident about Barbashev, which is why I have him very high at #9 and have him as my preferred target if we can trade up for another 1st in the teens, but I find myself frequently waffling on some of these other guys. I haven't seen anyone in this class in person so I'm definitely no expert, mind you.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote