HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton & Long Beach thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Hamilton & Long Beach thread

Not much to talk about so far but I thought we could use a thread for any news on either the Bulldogs or Long Beach.

For Hamilton the only news so far is the loss of Thinel and it appears that the oilers will lend goalie JDD although it's still a rumor at this point. Over on the oilers board there was some talk that Hamilton asked for two defensemen, Lynch and Woywitka which make a lot of sense as Plante might not be back thus meaing Archer and Cote would be the vets on defense.

Also interesting to see who will be the coach for Hamilton, as I assume Ron Wilson will get the job after being the assistant coach, but haven't heard anything yet.

If JDD is in Hamilton then it will be interesting to see what happens to Halak. Do they send him and Michaud to Long Beach? I assume that's the case, but perhaps they consider letting Halak go back to the Q as an overager as he could play a ton I would think, unless they feel he can take over the starters job in Long Beach.

As for Long Beach still no word if they are going to be our afillate but I would think they would be.

So far Long Beach has resigned Chris Kenady, Steeve Villeneuve, Mike Vellinga and today they resigned David Walker.

There's also a rumor on the Lewiston board that Long Beach has signed rw Sheldon Wenzel who was an overager for Lewiston this year and led the team in pims with 262. No idea if it's true or not.

Old
07-02-2005, 04:33 PM
caper13

i hope halak is in hamilton this year he is ready imo.

Old
07-02-2005, 04:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper13
i hope halak is in hamilton this year he is ready imo.

If JDD is sent to Hamilton, Halak likely will end up in the ECHL or perhaps back to the Q, cause I can't see them using 3 goalies as all 3 are young and need to play. I wouldn't expect JDD to get a ton of starts like Ellis did, as Danis should clearly be the starter but we'll have to see what happens.

Old
07-09-2005, 04:28 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Not much to talk about so far but I thought we could use a thread for any news on either the Bulldogs or Long Beach.

For Hamilton the only news so far is the loss of Thinel and it appears that the oilers will lend goalie JDD although it's still a rumor at this point. Over on the oilers board there was some talk that Hamilton asked for two defensemen, Lynch and Woywitka which make a lot of sense as Plante might not be back thus meaing Archer and Cote would be the vets on defense.

Also interesting to see who will be the coach for Hamilton, as I assume Ron Wilson will get the job after being the assistant coach, but haven't heard anything yet.

If JDD is in Hamilton then it will be interesting to see what happens to Halak. Do they send him and Michaud to Long Beach? I assume that's the case, but perhaps they consider letting Halak go back to the Q as an overager as he could play a ton I would think, unless they feel he can take over the starters job in Long Beach.

As for Long Beach still no word if they are going to be our afillate but I would think they would be.

So far Long Beach has resigned Chris Kenady, Steeve Villeneuve, Mike Vellinga and today they resigned David Walker.

There's also a rumor on the Lewiston board that Long Beach has signed rw Sheldon Wenzel who was an overager for Lewiston this year and led the team in pims with 262. No idea if it's true or not.
So we have an affiliation with the Oilers again in Hamilton where they give us 4 or 5 players similar to what we had with Tampa last year?

Old
07-09-2005, 05:21 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

I don't remember who's the second team sharing players with Edmonton, but it would be in their interest (Oilers) to send JDD over there. Danis is clearly the #1 guy with the Bulldogs and I can see Halak as his backup. Halak has nothing else to prove in the Q, would play on a not-so-good team (with the potential losses of Picard, Paiment and of course, Bourret) and Lewiston has Jonathan Bernier, a future starting goaltender in the NHL, who's ready for the starting job.

Old
07-09-2005, 08:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
So we have an affiliation with the Oilers again in Hamilton where they give us 4 or 5 players similar to what we had with Tampa last year?

Yes we have an affilation with the Oilers again, but this time no word yet as to how many players they will be sending. Over on the Oilers board there was some talk that JDD will be in Hamilton but I guess we will have to see what happens. It makes for a very interesting situation for Halak, as I can't see the dogs going with 3 goalies, which means Halak would likely end up in the ECHL with Michaud. The problem is how much ice time would he see over Michaud? If management feels he could get a lot more starts in the Q, perhaps they would chose to have him go back as an overager. It's not like he has played in the Q for the last 4 years and has outgrown the leauge, as he's only played one season and while he was one of the top goalies, it may be better for him to play a ton of games in the Q then every other or less.

The problem is he would take up an overager spot plus a Euro spot so even if Lewiston didn't want him, it may be hard to find another team for him. I dont think he'll end up in the Q again, as I think he'll likely play for Long Beach but I would think that management will have to take this into consideration assuming JDD is in Hamilton as Danis backup and Michaud is also in Long Beach.

Old
07-10-2005, 05:29 AM
RaTcine

Isn't JDD a real good G? Danis will maybe lose his #1 spot... I guess they'll play 50-50...

Old
07-10-2005, 12:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
Isn't JDD a real good G? Danis will maybe lose his #1 spot... I guess they'll play 50-50...

No, from what I've seen JDD has struggled and would not get anywhere near 50% of the games. I would suspect that number would be closer to 30% or so but we'll have to see how he fares, assuming he is loaned.

Old
07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Wenzel Is a hard mean player.

Last edited by montreal: 07-10-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTcine
Goaltender playing time could simply come down to the agreement sign. If they agree to 50/50 (which i doubt) it wont matter who is playing better.

Old
07-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

An interesting front office situation is starting to develop here in Hamilton. The Bulldogs have 2 more years on thier lease with Copps Coliseum and the City of Hamilton. Michael Andlauer has informed the city that they have drug their heels on the planned improvements to Copps long enough.
He has told the city that if the improvements are not started next year he is going to further pursue the idea of building an approximently 8,000 seat arena in the Hamilton area. Burlington and Ancaster were the actual cities named in the article.
For the city to put down money for the improvements or for Mr Andlauer to seriously consider a new arena I would suspect a long term deal will need to be signed with the Canadiens.

Old
07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach signs Jon Foster

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....&cat=1&id=4939

Very nice pickup for the Ice Dogs, hope they send him to Hamilton's camp. Habs management should keep an eye on him. Very hard working forward, who isn't the most skilled guy but scores some big goals while at Denver.

Old
07-12-2005, 05:19 PM
eddy

Quote:
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic.cgi?action=show_news&cat=1&id=4939

Very nice pickup for the Ice Dogs, hope they send him to Hamilton's camp. Habs management should keep an eye on him. Very hard working forward, who isn't the most skilled guy but scores some big goals while at Denver.
Does seem like a decent pick up, his NCAA stats seem pretty solid. He's not the biggest guy, 5'10 185, but his hard work probly makes up for that.

Old
07-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
when did the ahl release their day by day schedule last year? i can remember it was close to this time.

Old
07-13-2005, 06:47 AM
hockeychic28

Send a message via AIM to hockeychic28
I am thinking that the schedule came out late July or early August last year. If not even mid-August.

Patiently waiting for schedules!!!!

Old
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Looks like, for 6$US a game, we will be able to watch all of the Hamilton games online this season. Great news, although I really think their radio coverage is just excellent.

http://www.canoe.ca/Bulldogs/News/20...2/1128157.html

Old
07-14-2005, 11:07 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

small rumors about Long Beach,

I was told that Wenzel is indeed signed and will be in Long Beach. A person that I don't know, said they talked to Wenzel recently and Wenzel said that he thinks Jaroslav Halak will be in Long Beach next season as he thinks the two of them will be roomates. Makes sense, I just hope Halak is the starter or plays every other game, if it's true.

And about Jon Foster, there's a rumor that he won't be the only one signed from Denver's championship team as he might be joined by teammates Jeff Drumond and Kevin Ulanski, but we'll see what happens. Perhaps they won't be getting Rosa back, as the Stars might want to sign him after his strong rookie season.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Wenzel signs with Long Beach,

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....&cat=1&id=4966

Wenzel and Bonneau together on the same team? Should be fun watching the two of them in the ECHL, assuming of course Bonneau ends up in LB.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:41 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Wenzel signs with Long Beach,

Wenzel and Bonneau together on the same team? Should be fun watching the two of them in the ECHL, assuming of course Bonneau ends up in LB.
Best one-two punch in the ECHL!! Can't wait.

Old
07-23-2005, 07:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach adds Jon Foster's teammate at Denver, as they sign forward Kevin Ulanski, another solid hard working player for the Ice Dogs.

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....&cat=1&id=4980

Old
07-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Corey

I'm a lot more interested in Hamilton's comings and going than in Long Beach's because players on the Bulldogs are far more likely to appear in the Bell Centre some day. Basically, the Ice Dogs exist to provide injury replacements for Hamilton or to storehouse players who have used up their junior eligibility. At this point, what are the chances of, say, Urquhart, making the Habs?

Old
07-24-2005, 12:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I'm a lot more interested in Hamilton's comings and going than in Long Beach's because players on the Bulldogs are far more likely to appear in the Bell Centre some day. Basically, the Ice Dogs exist to provide injury replacements for Hamilton or to storehouse players who have used up their junior eligibility. At this point, what are the chances of, say, Urquhart, making the Habs?

ECHL has improved a good deal as a league overall imo. Plus there's always a chance that another Michael Ryder can come out of the ECHL and be one of the top rookies in the NHL a few years later.

As for Urquhart, I'd be shocked if he made the Habs unless he shows major improvement in his physical play and strength. I personally have doubts if he will win a roster spot with Hamilton this year depending on who the oilers end up sending.

Old
07-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Corey

Quote:
ECHL has improved a good deal as a league overall imo. Plus there's always a chance that another Michael Ryder can come out of the ECHL and be one of the top rookies in the NHL a few years later.

As for Urquhart, I'd be shocked if he made the Habs unless he shows major improvement in his physical play and strength. I personally have doubts if he will win a roster spot with Hamilton this year depending on who the oilers end up sending.
I was using Urquhart only as an example. In your opinion are there any Long Beach players witha reasonable chance of making the NHL?

Old
07-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
What are the chances of seeing o'byrne in hamilton this year?

Old
07-25-2005, 06:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I was using Urquhart only as an example. In your opinion are there any Long Beach players witha reasonable chance of making the NHL?

no but when Ryder made his 2nd trip to the ECHL, I didn't think he would make it either.

As for O'Byrne, I would expect him to play for Cornell again, who should be the early season favorite to win the ECAC again unless they lose Moulson and or McKee.

Closed Thread