HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton & Long Beach thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
aspin

vCash: 500
Who all do you guys/gals expect to be in Hamilton from your team this year? By the way the deal with the Oilers was for 7 players including the goalie.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
TroyM

Well we can safely say that Shasby, Flood, Morgan and Larrivee will not be there for some depth.

In nets we've got Danis, Halak and Michaud plus the one from Edmonton so it looks great in that respect.

Defence I'm thinking Cote, Archer, Sanford will definitely be playing. This'll have to be addressed. I'm assuming a pair comes over from Edmonton as well. Would be nice for one of our young Euro's to make the jump this year and see what they can do...

On forward there's Kostitsyn, Milroy, Ferland, Locke, Lambert, Urquhart, Carpentier, and Ivanans who are pretty much locks to play. Possibly Dagenais will be down with his two way contract. I'd assume at least one, perhaps two of Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin or Hossa will be down here, but if I had the waiver rules and free agent signings that'd be made clearer... Plus a few forwards from Edmonton, hopefully high calibre ones...

I think we'll have a decent team, the defence, depending on what comes from Edmonton, will be weak, but our forwards should be ok and the goaltending is looking great. Am I missing any key players here?

Old
08-01-2005, 08:22 PM
aspin

Holy,

Yeah the players Montreal are sending to Hamilton on D are really weak and pretty much ECHL players. Well here are the defence that need assigning by Edmonton most likely and Hamilton will probably getting three defencemen and really good ones at that.

Doug Lynch
Jeff Woywitka
Mathieu Roy
Jason Platt
Danny Syvret
Kenny Smith
Jordan Little

Ok so most likely Little and Smith will be sent to Greenville of the ECHL. Most at the Oiler board think that Lynch, Woywitka and Roy will be sent to Hamilton. Lynch and Woywitka had horrible years last year as did most of the Roadrunners. Roy on the other hand won their best defenceman award. Jason Platt is a solid defencemen that hits hard and it was his first pro year last year. Syvret has a chance of playing there but most likely weill be going to Des Moines......who knows though.

I am pretty sure that Rick Mrozik will not be back and Rocky Thompson and Dan Smith will not be back. You can check out all their stats on hockeydb.com. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...035912005.html

It looks like their may be some good Montreal forward prospects though.

As for the forwards, the Oilers that need assigining most likely are Brad Winchester, Nate Dicasmirro, Kyle Brodziak, Toby Peterson, J.J. Hunter, Dan Baum, Jesse Niinimaki, J.F. Jacques, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Zach Stortini, Brock Radunske, Simon Ferguson, Martin St. Pierre, J.F. Plourde, Ed Caron.

Guy F. seems to think that St. Pierre and Plourde will not be back at all. Caron, Radunske and Ferguson will most likely start the year in the ECHL. Dicasmirro and Peterson are career minor leaguers and will hopefully be farmed out to other teams. There is a rumour that the Oilers can place on player in Toronto and one in Norfolk. I would assume these two would be placed in those places. I would bet that Hamilton will see Jacques and Pouliot for sure and one of Niinimaki, Winchester, or Brodziak. Don't let Niinimaki's numbers fool you, I think he will have a much different year this year but the jury is still out on him. He is highly skilled but the work ethic and cultural differences had a large effect on his play. There are signs this summer that things will be different. I am sure you would also like Stortini and Hunter as players as well. If three defencemen are placed there it would only leave room for 3 forwards though. Hope this helps. If you have any questions or comments i would love to hear them.

In goal Deslauriers had his first pro year last year and it was an adjustment. He is a really good goalie though.

Just as an aside, isn't it time you guys cut Carpentiar loose already? Just my opinion.

Last edited by aspin: 08-01-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
aspin

I would think that Urquhart would be better this year than any of the other defencemen that you mentioned as being in Hamilton for Montreal.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:42 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
I would think that Urquhart would be better this year than any of the other defencemen that you mentioned as being in Hamilton for Montreal.
Not sure what you mean by that?

I don't think you should knock those three so much though. Cote is definitely a solid top 2, top 4 at worst for an AHL team. He's solid as they come. Archer is not too far behind in his development, probably will be top 4 for Hamilton this year. Both are good, big defensive defenseman. Sanford is small but fast and has good offensive potential, and very fiesty as well. The problem is depth, more specifically, that we have NONE. So three defenseman, especially those three, would be a huge help.

I'd say the D could shape up something like this, assuming we get those three players:

Cote-Roy
Archer-Woywitka
Sanford-Syvret

Although the third pairing is a little sketchy and I'd think they would give Sanford a solid stay at home guy to make up for his more offensive game. So maybe

Roy-Woywitka
Cote-Syvret
Archer-Sanford

Well it's all speculation now I guess. I think thats a decent defense line up though.

Getting three of those forwards is also going to be a great help, I'm glad we'll be getting top end prospects from Edmonton. I think our attackers will be damn good next year.

And the tandem of Danis-Deslauriers I think will be spectacular.

I definitely agree about Carpentier I can't say I enjoyed watching the guy last year, I could stand him on the 4th line though if we need to plug a spot there. Not sure what's happening with some of our top prospects so it's hard to try and predict a line up as of yet.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
aspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM
I'd say the D could shape up something like this, assuming we get those three players:

Cote-Roy
Archer-Woywitka
Sanford-Syvret

Although the third pairing is a little sketchy and I'd think they would give Sanford a solid stay at home guy to make up for his more offensive game. So maybe

Roy-Woywitka
Cote-Syvret
Archer-Sanford.
I think it will be Lynch instead of Syvret. Personally I think Lynch is the best of the four. He had a horrible year but he was playing hurt as well most of the year.....he had an awesome rookie pro year. He will be better than the other three in my opinion......maybe not quite as offensive as Syvret but he put up good numbers in junior and the year before. He will be way more physical though.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=157093

Last edited by aspin: 08-01-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old
08-02-2005, 07:06 AM
JF

By the way, I don't know if someone brought this up, but the new head coach for the Bulldogs is Don Lever.
link: http://www.canoe.ca/Bulldogs/News/20...8/1151003.html

Old
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Just by the way, for all of you penciling Sanford into your Dogs line-ups, we no longer have his rights since we didn't sign him.

I liked the little I saw in him last year and hope we re-sign him at some point.

Old
08-02-2005, 02:16 PM
TroyM

That sucks, I was impressed with him last year as well. Man we are short on d in Hamilton, the quality is looking good but I'm only counting 5 guys, really need to get some depth. But I suppose that's not too hard to address. I hope Sanford comes back, I don't see him ever cracking an NHL line up but he was fun to watch and seemed fine in the AHL.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach signs Luke Fritshaw

http://www.icedogs.com/fullstory.php?id=238

I'll move this over to the LB thread but I wanted to see what WHL fans think of Fritshaw a former Ducks pick. Also out of these new rookies signed in Long Beach, some of them will likely be sent to Hamilton's training camp in the fall.

Old
08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Looks like Hamilton is in trouble on defense as Lynch and Woywitka were traded to the blues. Archer and Cote are the only defensemen signed for Hamilton so far, not sure of Sanford's status as I thought there was a team option on his 2nd year but perhaps it was just a one year deal. Plante I believe is a UFA and Carpentier I'm not sure of as he can play defense.

I would assume the oilers send Roy and perhaps Syvret plus I'm sure we'll bring some defensemen to the rookie camp or perhaps steal one of Long Beachs.

Old
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Yeah, when I heard about the Pronger trade today I instantly thought of the impact on the Dogs' defense this year. With neither Shasby or Flood to work with, that depth chart of signed guys is pretty slim. I guess Gainey might have to do some looking around for a cast off or two to fill up the ranks, as I am sure there will be a few guys left after all this signing frenzy finishes up.

Old
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
aspin

The Oilers might be signing Matt Greene and who knows where he will end up.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:54 AM

James Sanford? I'm pretty sure he's still Habs' property...

TroyM: Jaroslav Halak has not been signed, he'll play with Lewiston for the 2nd straight year.

Ben Carpentier? I'm pretty sure he's a UFA.

Here's what I could see in Hamilton next year:

Offense:
I can't see Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Dagenais and Hossa all starting the year with the Canadiens, so I'm pretty sure one or maybe even two will be on the opening night lineup for the Bulldogs. I'm assuming on the first line with Kosty (who can play both wings anyway), along with the #1 center Edmonton will send us, since I don't see Locke taking that spot for now. He'll be centering the second line, and I could see Milroy having a good camp and sticking with him on that line, along with an Edmonton's prospect.

On our defensive minded line (#3), Lambert is probably a lock, while Ivanans/Bonneau/Vandermeer will battle it out for the enforcer spot, I could see one of them with the Habs (Vandermeer), one with the Dogs (Ivanans) and one in the ECHL (Bonneau). Lapierre I'm pretty sure is ready and will either center the 3rd or the 4th line, while Urquhart and Thinel will battle it out for the 13th forward spot, the other, off to the ECHL. Ferland will be taking 3rd line duties while the other Edmonton's forward completes the 4th line. Wich would give us:

Habs - Edm - Andrei Kostitsyn
Edm - Corey Locke - Duncan Milroy
Michael Lambert - Edm - Jonathan Ferland
Raitis Ivanans - Maxim Lapierre - Edm
**Cory Urquhart/Marc-Andre Thinel

Defense:
On D, it's pretty simple. We've got 4 solid defenders in Archer-Streit-Cote-Sanford, and Edmonton should send us 2 other good ones. A free agent should be sign to fill the #7 spot, but that should not be a problem. Wich gives us:

Mark Streit - Jean-Philippe Cote
Edm - Edm
James Sanford - Andrew Archer
**UFA

Goalies:
In Net, it's Danis the starter and the other the back up, no question. Michaud will be in the ECHL.

Yann Danis - EDM

Now, who do I see joining the Bulldogs from Edmonton? Well on offense, I could see Salmelainen, one of Pouliot/Schremp and one of Niinimaki/Peterson along with a lesser guy for the 4th line.

On D, obviously losing Lynch and Woywitka hurts, but we could see Matt Greene and Mathieu Roy wich is still a great pair.

In goal, it will probably be Jeff Drouin Deslauriers, a great goalie.

Old
08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Cote is a LD

Gainey said at the draft that he was going to try and sign Halak, so with Danis in the NHL to start the year most likely, Halak could get some starts in Hamilton.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Duster

Furthermore, I think Streit will be given every opportunity to make the big club. Gainey didn't sign him to play in Hamilton imo...

Old
08-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
AHL released their schedule today

http://www.canoe.ca/AHLImages05a/05-06sked_day.pdf

Old
08-05-2005, 07:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Habs/Hamilton resign with Long Beach

It's official, the Canadiens have renewed their affilation with Long Beach of the ECHL. It's not a surprise as the team enjoyed great success this year, going from one of the worst teams in the league the year before, to 3rd overall in the league despite a not so great playoff run.

http://www.icedogs.com/fullstory.php?id=239

Also Long Beach just lost one of their top players from last season, Evan Cheveire who goes overseas to play. I would assume Rosa won't be back either as Dallas might want to pick him up after a great rookie season assuming they still hold his rights.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Minor news but Hamilton lost another defensemen as Plante was not resigned as he just signed in Germany. Still haven't been able to find if Sanford had a team option. he was signed in october (10-8-04) but no idea if he will be back or not, leaving Hamilton very short on defensemen.

Old
08-09-2005, 02:31 AM
aspin

Salmelainen will not be there. If he does not make Edmonton he will be going back to Finland ala Jani Rita. As for players there was mention that if Green signs he will go to Iowa...Dallas' farm team with Syvret but i do not understand why they would not put Syvret in Hamilton with Roy since he is Canadian and since Platt and Greene are American they can put them in Iowa so they do not have to deal with the work Visa's as much.

As far as forwards go I would assume you will see some of these guys: Winchester, Brodziak, Niinimaki, J.J. Hunter, Martin St. Pierre maybe if they re-sign him, Pouliot and Jacques, Stortini or Baum. I would say Jacques and Pouliot would be for sure. Schremp will not be there. If he does not make the big club he will go back to junior. I hope they send Peterson and Dicasmirro who knows where.

Last edited by montreal: 08-14-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old
08-12-2005, 12:53 AM
katodelder

Anyone know the waiver rules on Plekanec, Higgins, Hainsey, and Hossa?

Old
08-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Fozz

Well, Halak was signed yesterday si I guess he'll be in Hamilton this year.

A couple of interesting un-drafted CHL veterans, Andre Benoit (Kitchener) and Luke Fritshaw (Prince Albert) will have tryouts with the team and could potentially play in Hamilton if they impress.

Old
08-12-2005, 06:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
Well, Halak was signed yesterday si I guess he'll be in Hamilton this year.

A couple of interesting un-drafted CHL veterans, Andre Benoit (Kitchener) and Luke Fritshaw (Prince Albert) will have tryouts with the team and could potentially play in Hamilton if they impress.

Fritshaw was drafted by the Ducks. Halak I can't wait to see him in Hamilton, although I don't think he'll play the full season once Danis gets back assuming JDD is the 2nd goalie. Benoit if he is signed which is still a rumor at this point. What I heard was that Hamilton already signed Benoit before the CBA (strange that it wasn't reported) but after the CBA the Canadiens want to sign Benoit and send him to Hamilton. But there's been nothing official anywhere and it's all just rumor and hearsay at this point. Benoit makes a lot of sense, and Hamilton is very thin on defense at this point. Fritshaw is signed by Long Beach but I guess something could be worked out if the Dogs really like him. Either way he's good depth for Hamilton as he can be called up or loaned if they need him.

Old
08-14-2005, 10:46 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach lost defensemen Gary Zink who signed in France. But they add another rookie forward out of the NCAA as they sign Michigan's Woodard, a former pick of the panthers.

http://www.icedogs.com/fullstory.php?id=240

Old
08-19-2005, 07:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Long Beach goes out and signs another rookie forward from Denver the two time NCAA champs. LB signed Kevin Drummond, the smallish but speedy winger. Should be fun watching some Ice Dogs games.

http://www.icedogs.com/fullstory.php?id=241

Closed Thread