HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2013, 09:04 PM
StuCarterStats

vCash: 500
As per Spitfires Twitter Account
No longer with team following Blue v White game.
Paolo Battisti, Bryce Mayea, Mitch Graham, Aaron Luchuk, Matthew Hudie, Anthony Kotsovos, Drew Marlatt, Matthew Kenney, Jared Leslie, Colin Moore and Eli Billing.

Line up for game in Livionia v Plymouth Saturday night will be released Friday, August 30.

This is what you have following the Blue v White game of players that played in the game.

WINDSOR SPITFIRES
No Goaltender
30 Brendan Johnston
30 Dalen Kuchmey

No Player Pos
2 Patrick Sanvido D
3 Adam Bateman D
3 Liam Murray D
5 Nick Ebert D
8 Trevor Murphy D
10 Patrick Sieloff D
11 Nikita Yazkov RW
12 Ben Johnson LW
12 Chris Cobham LW
16 Kerby Rychel LW
17 Steven Janes LW
20 Andrew Burns D
21 Remy Giftopoul. C
21 Cam Hughes LW
22 Ryan Foss C
24 Zack Percy D
25 Slater Koekkoek D
26 Josh Ho-Sang C
27 Ryan Moore C
27 Brady Vail C
29 Ty Bilcke RW
37 John Bowen D

Last edited by StuCarterStats: 08-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Pukhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I was looking right at the line-up on Facebook, saw him under Bilcke's name.

"No longer in camp" after the game tonight (per Spitfires Facebook):

Battisti
Mayea
Graham
Luchuk
Hudie
Kotsovos
Marlatt
Kenney
Leslie
Colin Moore
Billing

Rumour at the game had it that Billing was destined for Essex Jr C this season. No confirmation, obviously, but that was the discussion.

As for the game:

White takes it 7-4 over Team Blue.

Blue was up 3-2 after one, but White scored 5 of the final 6 goals to take it.

Scoring:

Blue -

Graham 1g 2a
Giftopoulos 1g 2a
Yazkov/Marlatt 1g each
Ebert/Mayea/Koekkoek 1a each

White -

Rychel 1g 2a
R Moore 2a 1a
Bilcke 1g 1a
Sanvido 2a
Burns, Hughes, and Foss - 1g each
Murray, Kenney, and Ho-Sang - 1a each

Goaltenders:

Blue -

Billing - started, 4 goals on 12 shots
Johnson - 3 goals on 20 shots

White -

Battisti started - 3 goals on 23 shots
Kuchmey - 1 goal on 17 shots

(I think I got the goaltender stuff right. If I'm wrong, please let me know)

Fight:

Ryan Moore v. Luchuk - Good toe-to-toe fight near the end. Both got their shots in. I think Luchuk dropped him at the end, but not certain.

Almost fight:

Bilcke v. Percy - Percy hit Ho-Sang pretty good, so Bilcke tried to get at him. Threw a few punches, they both went down. Bilcke got 4, Percy got 2.
No goals on Kuchmey. All 4 were on batistti

Old
08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
punch1943

Quote:
I was looking right at the line-up on Facebook, saw him under Bilcke's name.

"No longer in camp" after the game tonight (per Spitfires Facebook):

Battisti
Mayea
Graham
Luchuk
Hudie
Kotsovos
Marlatt
Kenney
Leslie
Colin Moore
Billing

Rumour at the game had it that Billing was destined for Essex Jr C this season. No confirmation, obviously, but that was the discussion.

As for the game:

White takes it 7-4 over Team Blue.

Blue was up 3-2 after one, but White scored 5 of the final 6 goals to take it.

Scoring:

Blue -

Graham 1g 2a
Giftopoulos 1g 2a
Yazkov/Marlatt 1g each
Ebert/Mayea/Koekkoek 1a each

White -

Rychel 1g 2a
R Moore 2a 1a
Bilcke 1g 1a
Sanvido 2a
Burns, Hughes, and Foss - 1g each
Murray, Kenney, and Ho-Sang - 1a each

Goaltenders:

Blue -

Billing - started, 4 goals on 12 shots
Johnson - 3 goals on 20 shots

White -

Battisti started - 3 goals on 23 shots
Kuchmey - 1 goal on 17 shots

(I think I got the goaltender stuff right. If I'm wrong, please let me know)

Fight:

Ryan Moore v. Luchuk - Good toe-to-toe fight near the end. Both got their shots in. I think Luchuk dropped him at the end, but not certain.

Almost fight:

Bilcke v. Percy - Percy hit Ho-Sang pretty good, so Bilcke tried to get at him. Threw a few punches, they both went down. Bilcke got 4, Percy got 2.
The lineup as shown on my I-Pad was cut off after 2 goalies & 13 players so a few were missed...my error.

Billings was signed as backup for the Jr C team a few days ago from what I was told.

Some of the cuts were a bit surprising to me...but in some cases it's the age that catches them as much as the talent. All in all the young additions seem to be finding their way.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:45 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Full release here...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/MR0137.php

Old
08-29-2013, 09:53 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
No goals on Kuchmey. All 4 were on batistti
Thanks. Haha, I'm still in training camp mode myself, apparently.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Actually after tonites deletions there are now 28 players left with the club

They are the following

Goal
DeKort=Kuchmey-Johnston

Def
Percy
Brown-injured
Ebert
Koekkoek
Seiloff
Bowen
Sanvido
Murphy
Bateman
Burns
Murray

Forwards
Giftop-HoSang-Hughes
Cobham-Foss-Bilcke
Moore-Rychel-Janes
Vail-Johnson- Yazkov

injured
Marchese- probably long term
Verbeek-

Players also not in camp aside from the 11 tonite and have gone home are

Killins,Busby,Markovic,Trublin,Andlauer,Marra,Schm itt, and Morgan

Old
08-29-2013, 10:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Some thoughts after tonites game

Little surprised about Graham being cut,though I expect him to be called up once some of forwards leave town for NHL camps/tournament
Was hoping Mayea might get a further look,perhaps he is looking at school options,Kotsovos was in tough with 10 D signed plus Percy,he played very well tonite,needs to do what he does best be physical and nasty,his steady play impressed the staff,wont be 17 until late Dec,a year in London jr B should do him well,expect him to contend for a spot next yr,along with Markovic a rugged 16 year old with some offensive ability
Aaron Luchuk had a very solid camp a definite prospect with some nice upside,he is signed hopefullly he will get a cup of coffee this season
Kenney who was very good at rookie camp,struggled to keep that trend here at main camp but nevertheless should be pleased overall and work hard for next yr
Nice to see Ryan Foss amongst the guys still in camp,he has been a true pleasant surprise,wicked hands and a big body forward who can play both ways,almost veteran lik presence rarely seen in a 17 yr old rookie
In tonites game Ryan Moore was very good scoring twice,added an assist and got int a nice spirited scrap with Luchuk,held his own despite being, outweighted by 35 lbs by the slightly taller but stockier Luchuk
Andrew Burns played very well tonite scoring a goal and being a presence most of the night
Of the goalies tonite Kuchmey did not allow a goal in his 1 1/2 period of work,he was very solid and has the inside step on the back up job in net
Other players who had good efforts tonite were Bilcke,Graham,a goal and 2 helpers and Giftopoulous with1 goal and 2 assists
Jared Leslie suffered the games only known imjury,cartwheeling into the boards after being checked while being a bit off balance by Adam Bateman,this occurred in the 2nd period and he did not return
Forward Chris Cobham was listed on the roster but back spasms prevented him from playing

Old
08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
jughead42*

If Percy played well at the blue and white then I would not be surprised to see somebody like Bowen flipped to make room for him. Maybe DJ would give him a home in the Shwa. Does he fight well? If so I would wave good bye to Bowen, Percy is the better player right now.

Old
08-29-2013, 11:59 PM
OHLTG

Percy has some toughness, but not sure how much he uses it.

What about Bowen to London for Jammes? Gives them toughness, gives us a nice young forward?

Old
08-30-2013, 12:21 AM
coachfluffy

Nice to hear the good things about Foss, especially the parts about hockey sense and d zone awareness. Added to a little bit on the offensive side and hard work, I can see him becoming a favourite.

Old
08-30-2013, 06:06 AM
hockeylegend11

Just read on line Ryan Verbeeks brother Hayden has left the Sault camp with back tightness
virtually the same thing as Ryan
In the Sault they he has been experiencing that tightness for about a week,a couple days shorter then Ryan,who has yet to skate
Makes me concerned about their training regimen to get ready for the season,to have brothers going thru the same is troubling
The timetable for Ryan to return is unknown,while brother Hayden has been signed by Chatham to be 1 of their 16 year olds this season

Old
08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If Percy played well at the blue and white then I would not be surprised to see somebody like Bowen flipped to make room for him. Maybe DJ would give him a home in the Shwa. Does he fight well? If so I would wave good bye to Bowen, Percy is the better player right now.
You are right about the Spits dealing from their strength to get a forward...perhaps dealing a pair of the D men. You can only afford to carry 7 usually and it wouldn't surprise moi to see one of them be a rookie. Probably hard to deal now with a lot of the teams in transition because of the NHL camps but the Spits will probably deal sooner rather than later...with Marchese hurt it puts more pressure on to get another scorer and they HAVE to get goaltending help IMHO....

Old
08-30-2013, 08:02 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Nice to hear the good things about Foss, especially the parts about hockey sense and d zone awareness. Added to a little bit on the offensive side and hard work, I can see him becoming a favourite.
Now to get him signed on the dotted line.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
You are right about the Spits dealing from their strength to get a forward...perhaps dealing a pair of the D men. You can only afford to carry 7 usually and it wouldn't surprise moi to see one of them be a rookie. Probably hard to deal now with a lot of the teams in transition because of the NHL camps but the Spits will probably deal sooner rather than later...with Marchese hurt it puts more pressure on to get another scorer and they HAVE to get goaltending help IMHO....
Have to agree with the goaltending, very suspect to me.I would sure feel better if Pav was back.I hope Im wrong about the 3 tenders were carrying.

Also a little bit shocked that Bryce Mayea didnt get a longer look.Thought he played well the first morn of camp.A big dude.

Looking at our lineup with the cuts being made, mediocre middle of the pack at best.Hope WR can pull a rabbit out of his .......hat. lol.Couldnt say what I wanted to.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Percy would not be of good use as an OA. Even if you moved a D to get some scoring Murray and/or Burns would provide more value. By all accounts from people there wasn't exactly a lot of skill on display this camp and they will have issues scoring goals. Better get that solved before Sept 19th.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:05 PM
StuCarterStats

Spitfires have signed Foss.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:06 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Percy would not be of good use as an OA. Even if you moved a D to get some scoring Murray and/or Burns would provide more value. By all accounts from people there wasn't exactly a lot of skill on display this camp and they will have issues scoring goals. Better get that solved before Sept 19th.
Certainly have to agree..the best use of the O/A would be 1) a power forward who is physical and who can score. 2) A pure scorer...Percy is valuable in the short term only as a stop gap & only while others are away IMHO your O/A needs to play on this teams top 2 lines.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I would agree Percy would not be a bright use of an O/A spot when you have 9 guys plus Bowen younger
I do think at this point he is better then 2 or 3 of the 10,but his age is against him,he is the perfect example of a player who plays better at a higher level then the one he was at because of systems and the ability to adjust
Not alot of guys can do that,just like in the Ahl some are better then when they play in the NHL then the minors
He probably will be on a floating card till Oct 1 and then goes on a B card
Do I think he can play in the O yes but not just anywhere,just not here
As for the scoring while i would like to add more,especially with the loss of Marchese
who came into camp the best shape of his life,I am willing see what happens,having the 4th most goals back in the league at 188 incll Marchese 5th without,and with expected improvement by all returning players,especially added production from Johnson and Vail,and some of the D who missed alot of time,I dont think its dire yet
I do expect youngsters Moore and Yazkov to produce not at alarming rates but based on what I have seen there is alot of upside
I do think they may surprise some folks
I am also not worried about the goaltending yet,DeKort was ill the last time he played,his experience in Columbus should be something to build on going forward,while Kuchmey who struggled on day 1 was the best of the other 4 since,did not allow a goal last night in the blue-white game
No doubt I want to add a scorer or 2,but I am sure if u have most teams in the league,having 188 goals back,along with all 7 of your D back with out using an O/A spot they would say thats a good place to start
Is there work to be done absolutely,time to panic nope

Old
08-30-2013, 12:11 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuCarterStats View Post
Thanks for that,good signing,he has pretty darn good since Day 1 at rookie camp
and carried thru the main camp
He may replace Marchese on the top 3 lines,should be given the opp to do so

Old
08-30-2013, 12:17 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuCarterStats View Post

That's probably the best news to come out of the training camp.

Now if WR can get a scorer and a goaltender things will look a lot brighter.

I have to think that no other team in the OHL is going into the season with as little experience in net as the Spits...probably not even close. Unless one turns into the second coming of ------ fill (in the blank ) we are in for some tough times.....

Old
08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I have to think that no other team in the OHL is going into the season with as little experience in net as the Spits...probably not even close. Unless one turns into the second coming of ------ fill (in the blank ) we are in for some tough times.....
There are a number of teams in the O with goalies who have little experience
Sarnia,Guelph,Barrie,Brampton, and last yr Plymouth went with a 16 year old who by reg seasons end had 26 games exp in Nedeljovic
Dont think u are being fair with your criticism overall,did u know during the 1st half of last yr Dejkort when he played was 3.12 and Pavelka was 3.20
The Spits inability to score during the 1st hlf killed them while their d play was better but both goalies especially Dekort did not get the run support,in one stretch they only scored 7 goals in 5 games Dekort appeared in tough to win with that
Fast forward to the 2nd half and with the additions of Koko,Aleardi,Gifto and Koekkoek,things started great 5-0-0-1 in the 1st 6 games and allowing 11 goals,injuries started to hit the back end hard as we all know losing the 2 best for the year in Seiloff and Koekkek, leaving outside of ebert 16 and 17 year olds to lead the D
It was that inexperience that did in the Spits,they scored more goals but allowed even more
Could have both goalies played better yes but a battered team was a huge reason for the lack of success
This year with a healthy D,188 goals returning from the whole lineup I think DeKort and Kuchmey will be find,the past evidence for the most part says so
Dekort has gained invaulable exp from being in Montreal and will gain even more in Columbus I feel give it time

Old
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

There are a couple teams like Sarnia but they aren't expected to do much this year. A team that doesn't have much returning in net and is expected to do damage is Guelph. They have Mancina who did work in Leamington last year and was invited to that goaltending camp by Hockey Canada. He still has to prove it on the ice but we saw it last year with Ndjelkovic in Plymouth as a 16 year old. With the team Guelph has I imagine Mancina can hold things down for the time being.

In regards to Windsor and their goaltending situation one thing not discussed about last year was how poorly the situation was managed. We all saw Pavelka get tired down the stretch and why was that? It's because he played far too much. This year neither goalie has a lot of OHL experience so it's imperative that the situation is managed well. With the way the schedule is Kuchmey shouldn't get in a game until October but they have Plymouth/London back to back so pick your spot where you want Kuchmey to play.

Legend I understand they return a lot of goals but I can't get out of my head the last 2 years and how much of a struggle it was to get goals and now this year they actually lost 2 of their top 3 goal scorers if you go by goals per game which is the best indicator. Organization is counting on guys to pick it up but sports is a show me game don't just talk about it. I am sure the players have all heard about the amazing skill of Josh Ho-Sang well show it on the ice, Ben Johnson show the fans why you were worth a gold education package we are still waiting, Kerby show us that you can make people better around you. This is the final chance for many of the 19 year olds to make good on their talent or they will just go down with the likes of Rob Hennigar, Ahren Nittel, Brett Liscomb, Darryl Lloyd, Tom Mannino, Dan Growden and a list of others who came in with a lot of talent but never lived up to that billing. It's in the hands of Rychel, Vail, Sieloff and Koekkoek to make of it what they will.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:

What about Bowen to London for Jammes? Gives them toughness, gives us a nice young forward?
Bowen any good? Dont need him if all he brings is toughness. I dont recall him being that good mind you he would be a 6 or 7thdman for us. Ya I would do the deal!

Congrats on the Foss signing. Wow this guy could be an amazing sleeper. Passed over in the draft, good size, excellent poise for a 17yr old. Sounds like he had a heck of a week.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:09 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
We all saw Pavelka get tired down the stretch and why was that? It's because he played far too much.
I don't think it was all fatigue. At least not physical fatigue.

Quote:
Bowen any good? Dont need him if all he brings is toughness. I dont recall him being that good mind you he would be a 6 or 7thdman for us. Ya I would do the deal!
6'3 225lbs, hard-hitting d-man. Not the fleetest of foot, no real offence, but will play a steady game and fights anyone.

I'm excited about Foss. While I don't know much about him, heard nothing but good so far.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:16 PM
jughead42*

Quote:

Can we quit using the "L" word? Whenever we do a bunch of their banana chucking fans show up to remind us how infinitely skilled their club is and it's annoying. Do they log in every day and do a HF wide search for the word "London" just so they don't miss an opportunity to throw their useless 2 cents at every mention of their club? Next time suggest trading him to the Steelheads or something, they've got like one fan and he probably doesn't have the internet.

Closed Thread