HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

HFNHL Lightning Top 20 Prospects Update

Old
08-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Canuck09

vCash: 500
HFNHL Lightning Top 20 Prospects Update

Bolstered by 6 day one picks in the draft this list got a little deeper since the last update. This list includes 3-4 players that have the potential to be elite players in the NHL, followed by 10-12 more that could be solid contributors.

Rank/(Previous)/Player
1. (NR) Seth Jones - D
Drafted #2 overall a couple months ago. Is expected to make the NHL as an 18 year old and has potential to be a franchise D.

2. (1) Mikail Grigorenko - C
Not a very productive rookie season in the NHL, but now that he knows what to expect, hopefully he makes the most of it this year.

3. (2) Teuvo Teravainen - C
The star of the recent WJC evaluation camp tournament just signed his NHL contract but will spend one more season in Finland before considering coming over.

4. (3) Andrei Vasilevski - G
It will be a while before we find out what he can possibly do in NA, but has huge potential.

5. (4) Tomas Hertl - C
Signed his pro contract and is going to have a pretty good shot to make the Sharks this season.

6. (NR) Ryan Pulock - D
Booming shot and good size, Im expecting good things from him this year in the WHL.

7. (6) Calle Jarnkrok C
Had a great SHL season and got his first taste of NA hockey in the AHL at the end of the season. The Wings will likely take the slow and steady approach as usual.

8. (5) David Rundblad D
Now that he has signed his new 2 year contract we know hell be staying in NA and will hopefully get a shot at making the Coyotes out of camp.

9. (NR) Anthony Mantha RW/LW
Has good size, can skate and was the only 50 goal scorer in the draft so we know he can score. Being another Wings prospect Ill have to be patient.

10. (NR) Eddie Lack G
Recently acquired via trade with the Flyers. Stuck behind the circus that is Roberto Luongo in Vancouver, one can only hope he gets enough games as a backup to show his stuff.

11. (7) Victor Rask C
12. (NR) Morgan Klimchuk - LW
13. (9) Vincent Trocheck - C
14. (8) Henrik Samuelsson - C
15. (11) Michael Stone - D
16. (12) Zack Budish - LW
17. (14) Magnus Nygren - D
18. (NR) Justin Bailey - LW
19. (13) Adam Almqvist - D
20. (NR) Peter Cehlarik - RW

Canuck09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Hossa

Impressive turnaround with the prospect group. I'd probably do the rankings differently but that's because you're 7-9 deep in first round calibre prospects. I would probably have Teravainen behind Hertl, Jarnkrok and even Mantha, but all of them have offensive upside.

I like the 11-20 collection as well. A guy like Trocheck is a significantly better prospect now than when he was drafted, and Mike Stone looks to be in the NHL to stay.

Looking back, a couple years ago I completed a trade with your predecessor for Bobby Ryan. It went down like the following:

To Vancouver Canucks
Bobby Ryan
Tampas 3rd in 2013 (Philippe Desrosiers)

To Tampa Bay Lightning
Patric Hornqvist
Luke Adam
David Rundblad
Vancouver Canucks 1st in 2012 (Andrei Vasilevski)

Since then you've cashed in Hornqvist (and others) for Kulikov), although Adam has not really gone anywhere. Regardless, a pretty good haul for the franchise and a steep price I paid to get it done.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Impressive turnaround with the prospect group. I'd probably do the rankings differently but that's because you're 7-9 deep in first round calibre prospects. I would probably have Teravainen behind Hertl, Jarnkrok and even Mantha, but all of them have offensive upside.
Are you just not a believer in Teravainen's game overall? I've been forced to believe since I drafted him for the Oilers, but his dominance at the recent WJC camp tourney made me feel a little better about him going forward. Still plenty of risk with him of course, but his offensive upside seems pretty high.

Canuck09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
Are you just not a believer in Teravainen's game overall? I've been forced to believe since I drafted him for the Oilers, but his dominance at the recent WJC camp tourney made me feel a little better about him going forward. Still plenty of risk with him of course, but his offensive upside seems pretty high.
In my opinion his only downside at this point is his size. He seems slight. Otherwise he seems to be a genuine talent who is performing better than expected.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
I'm just a bit skeptical of the Finnish development system right now. Clearly Teravainen has offensive upside, but it's a country that has struggled to develop players over the past ten years (eg. have they medalled at the WJC since Lauri Tukonen's years?), although the last 2-3 have suggested a turnaround may be in progress. Nonetheless, even Mikael Granlund, whose accomplishments in Finland and internationally are a level above Teravainen's, struggled with the size and speed of the NHL game, and was seemingly surpassed by both Jason Zucker and Charlie Coyle by year's end. Obviously Teravainen's talented, that's not in question, but are his weaknesses being developed well with Jokerit?

By contrast, Jarnkrok plays not only in a stronger developmental league (at least of late - Sweden had its own drought not long ago), but for Brynas, a team that has done a great job developing players in recent years (eg. Jakob Silfverberg). Of course, Hertl's coming from another struggling league and program, but he and Mantha bring an element of size that Teravainen obviously does not have.

That being said, it was more a comment about your depth, that you could have Teravainen at #2 and I might have him at #8 and it would not see wildly out of place.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote