HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Calgary

Old
08-25-2013, 04:18 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

vCash: 500
Toronto - Calgary

This was briefly discussed in another thread. Basically Toronto gets a bit better at the cost of a draft pick, Calgary gets younger at the cost of the slightly better defenseman. Liles needs to be in there for salary reasons.

To Calgary: Cody Franson, JM Liles, Joe Colborne, 2014 1st

To Toronto: Mark Giordano, 2nd 2014 or 2015 (Flames choice), Ryan Howse

Toronto gets their guy to stabilize the defense, Flames get younger players and a decent pick to help the rebuild. Liles, as mentioned, for salary purposes and Flames get Colborne to compensate for that. I dont really want to budge on the 2nd round pick, i know Flames would rather give up a 3rd instead, but the Leafs dont have a 2nd round pick in 2014 and with this trade wouldn't have a 1st. Howse included to keep Calgary away from the 50-contract limit.

Thoughts?

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:29 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

don't like anything about Liles, but i'd probably do that

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:38 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

I'd do it from a Leafs perspective, Gio is an upgrade over Franson on the right side, Liles is merely a cap dump and can help solidify CGY defense corps. They get a solid C prospect in Colborne who's better then Howse and the first will likely be in the 20-30 range so it's not a huge loss there...

CGY continues their rebuilding process by adding a younger growing D in Franson, a 1st and another good prospect, but you'll some posters in here that won't even look twice at the deal because Liles is in it.

Honestly, I'm not sure if CGY would pull the trigger on this one, the values there though. Good proposal.

Giordano = Franson, 1st
2nd, Howse =< Liles, Colborne it's close

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 08-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
SyndicateProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

I guess it's not bad, but there's too many moving pieces here. Take out Colborne, the 2nd and Howse and it's better. So Franson, Liles and a 1st for Giordano. Don't think Calgary would take that though, they would probably be looking for younger players.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 04:53 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Because Colborne sucks and Calgary is deep(ish) at C prospects. Someone else could easily top this offer.
Aside from Monahan and Klimchuk who do they have at C that's a legit prospect? And yes Colborne sucks, you are error

Forgot Jankowski but we all know he's still 5 years away, but you can easily swap out Colborne for one of our D prospects instead, the art of negotiations

Old
08-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Man Bear Pig

The value is even but damn, I really,really don't like giving up an unknown first rounder from a Leafs POV. The team could really go either way.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The value is even but damn, I really,really don't like giving up an unknown first rounder from a Leafs POV. The team could really go either way.
High risk high reward, the added cap space would be enough for me to do the deal though.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
Aside from Monahan and Klimchuk who do they have at C that's a legit prospect? And yes Colborne sucks, you are error

Forgot Jankowski but we all know he's still 5 years away, but you can easily swap out Colborne for one of our D prospects instead, the art of negotiations
They also have Reinhart, Jankowski and Knight in terms of prospects and Backlund as young centers on their NHL roster. Not bad at all, IMO. What they really need is PMD prospects, they basically have none. I don't know the Leafs prospect pool very well, but if they replace Colborne with a PMD prospect, it becomes a lot more appealing for them.

Also, in case you don't know, I Am Error is a Legend of Zelda reference. Just FYI

Old
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Funk21

Wow this is such a bad trade on so many levels:

TmL

First we get older and add another left shooting dman with similar offence and less size for about the same money Fanson is looking for-i see your logic

Second, we give up our first round pick too-heck why don't we give you our 2015 too!

Third, great you take Lilies off our hands but he can still run a PP and is very serviceable at a little over inflated salary

Lastly, we give you a potential 3rd line winger/center for a guy that is about as useful to the TML as a bag of pucks

Awesome deal, you should be a GM in the NHL

Funk21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post

TmL

First we get older and add another left shooting dman with similar offence and less size for about the same money Fanson is looking for-i see your logic

Second, we give up our first round pick too-heck why don't we give you our 2015 too!

Third, great you take Lilies off our hands but he is can still run a PP and is very serviceable at a little over inflated salary

Lastly, we give you a potential 3rd line winger/center for a guy that is about as useful to the TML as a bag of pucks

He's a Leafs fan, just thought you should know that. I suggest you watch Gio a little more. He's a legit player.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:03 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
They also have Reinhart, Jankowski and Knight in terms of prospects and Backlund as young centers on their NHL roster. Not bad at all, IMO. What they really need is PMD prospects, they basically have none.

Also, in case you don't know, I Am Error is a Legend of Zelda reference. Just FYI
No you're right, I wasn't aware of Calgarys depth down the middle, and you're name is still funny either way...

Like I said earlier you can just swap Colborne out for a dman, it's quite simple. Plus you essentially get two OFD in Franson and Liles(PMD) so really I don't see an issue from CGY POV

Old
08-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
High risk high reward, the added cap space would be enough for me to do the deal though.
First rounders, potentially top 10 selections are worth more than freeing up a little cap space. If the Leafs were an elite team, it's a no brainer. At this point in time the Leafs are in that 5-10 range in the East. A few serious injuries or bad goaltending and they could easily hover around 20th overall IMO. Now, I don't believe that'll happen but it's possible.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:07 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:

TmL

Third, great you take Lilies off our hands but he can still run a PP and is very serviceable at a little over inflated salary

you are the reason so many ppl despise Leaf fans, at least be courteous if you don't agree with a deal. Lol it's not as bad as you portray.

I thought Gio was RH, I guess we good always shuffle Dion to the right side

Old
08-25-2013, 05:11 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
First rounders, potentially top 10 selections are worth more than freeing up a little cap space. If the Leafs were an elite team, it's a no brainer. At this point in time the Leafs are in that 5-10 range in the East. A few serious injuries or bad goaltending and they could easily hover around 20th overall IMO. Now, I don't believe that'll happen but it's possible.
In all honesty, the Leafs are a better team then last years, at worst they got slightly slower.

The first will not be a top 10 pick and I'm almost positive that we'll be in serious contention for a playoff spot, high risk but we are a better more stable team after this deal.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
In all honesty, the Leafs are a better team then last years, at worst they got slightly slower.

The first will not be a top 10 pick and I'm almost positive that we'll be in serious contention for a playoff spot, high risk but we are a better more stable team after this deal.
The Leafs are going into next season with two inexperienced goalies and are weak down the middle. They could easily slide if things don't align.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:21 PM
western redmen

vCash: 562
Quote:

Forgot Jankowski but we all know he's still 5 years away
Reinhardt Arnold knight ext, our bottom 6 is covered

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
The Leafs are going into next season with two inexperienced goalies and are weak down the middle. They could easily slide if things don't align.
What about Reimer/Scrivens last year?! That argument has no traction. I thought Toronto just solo fief their C depth this offseason?? Those are the least of our issues, I'd be more worried about the defense they're putting out in front of Reimer/Bernier

Maybe just sign a stop gap C to fill in incase of injury

Old
08-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Funk21

Quote:
He's a Leafs fan, just thought you should know that. I suggest you watch Gio a little more. He's a legit player.
And so is Franson, Lilies and to some degree Colbourne plus a first. This Calgary fan is proposing we do this trade for one player who while a good player is no Shea Weber and because they throw in a second and a guy who they will not even renew at the end of this season i'm not suppose to call him out on it. Please

Funk21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
And so is Franson, Lilies and to some degree Colbourne plus a first. This Calgary fan is proposing we do this trade for one player who while a good player is no Shea Weber and because they throw in a second and a guy who they will not even renew at the end of this season i'm not suppose to call him out on it. Please
Franson doesn't have a contract and Liles would be a cap dump... Try to think.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Not bad, not sure if I'd do it though.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
To Leafs: Giordano, 2nd

To Flames: Franson, Liles, Blacker, 1st

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
Just stop. Colborne sucks and isn't needed, Liles is nothing but a cap dump, Franson isn't signed yet and the 1st would probably be in the bottom-15 picks. The 2nd won't be that far behind the Leafs 1st and Giordano is a lot better than Franson. To think you could even get close to Weber with that package is laughable. Take off the homer glasses.

Old
08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Just stop. Colborne sucks and isn't needed, Liles is nothing but a cap dump, Franson isn't signed yet and the 1st would probably be in the bottom-15 picks. The 2nd won't be that far behind the Leafs 1st and Giordano is a lot better than Franson. To think you could even get close to Weber with that package is laughable. Take off the homer glasses.
You guys are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum and you're bringing personal bias into the equation.. Seriously it's not as bad as you too are saying it is or else why would either of you think your team is getting royally screwed??

Old
08-25-2013, 05:36 PM
SyndicateProject
I'd risk everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
To Leafs: Giordano, 2nd

To Flames: Franson, Liles, Blacker, 1st
I dont think the Leafs would do that... At all

Old
08-25-2013, 05:37 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
I'm a leafs fan and yall need to relax and watch the man play hockey

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote