HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The biggest rivalry in Sochi?

Old
07-28-2013, 02:22 AM
KHLJokers*

vCash: 500
The biggest rivalry in Sochi?

1. Russia & Canada

2. Sweden & Finland

3. Canada & USA

4. Czech Republic & Who ever hit hard their right wing in the first game

Can we see some epic battles or will it be Torino 2006 hug contest all over again?

KHLJokers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:59 AM
jfc64

Don't forget the battle of the Alps between Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Austria and France. The Vanek - Josi non-glove fight will be epic.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
1. Russia & Canada. Both teams and fans will settle for nothing but gold on russian soil.

2. Canada & USA. The US fans really believes a rematch is the most probable scenario. Lets just wait and see if it is not more probable for the game becoming a semi final instead.

3. Russia vs. USA. This is also a pretty probable semi final matchup, and the russians wont want to lose this one on home soil, that's for sure. I believe this would be a great game for the continued growth of the sport in the US.

4. Sweden & Finland. Finland is too weakened this time to make it a bigger one but it still would be a good quarter final game.

5. Czech Republic & Slovakia & Russia. Russia is probably too strong to make it a great rivalry this year, but the two other teams would be a good one in the quarters although it is more probable both goes out there against a stronger opponent, why not the russians?

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 07-28-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:05 AM
KHLJokers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
3. Sweden & Finland. Finland is too weakened this time to make it a bigger one as far as Sweden are concerned, but it still would be a good game.
I'm afraid that y are right. Finland should brace up for keeping this rivalry alive. Sweden produce so much more NHL-players than Finland at the moment. But seven months is quite long time,,, Hopefully we will see strong team Finland spring 2014

Old
07-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLJokers View Post
I'm afraid that y are right. Finland should brace up for keeping this rivalry alive. Sweden produce so much more NHL-players than Finland at the moment. But seven months is quite long time,,, Hopefully we will see strong team Finland spring 2014
Yes you are right but at the same time it is not a co-incidence that Finland has started producing multiple first round choices each year the last couple of years. The prospect plant is still not quite as good as Swedens, but perhaps that is simply becouse you have a notably smaller population. I mean, Sweden has always had more stars than Finland, although you're the only ones having "SISU" tatooed across your chests.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:20 AM
KHLJokers*

Yeah,,,, Our only change is that the team will weld to one. Good chemistry and patriotism are the strength of team Finland.... in paper we lose to Canada, Czech, Sweden, Usa and Russia (except goalies)

Old
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

I would say that Canada and USA has been the better/bigger rivalry since probably 2002. But this time Canadas biggest rival will be Russia because of where the tournament is being held, I think it will ignite some of the old fire between these two.

Beau Knows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:38 AM
JoeyBeans

Coming from a Canadian I would have to say Canada Vs USA. for multiple reasons..

JoeyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
SH15

The most emotional games will involve Russia for obvious reasons.

If Russia & Canada meet, it will be the most electric of any potential matchup.

Let's just hope it's not in a QF again

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
Coming from a Canadian I would have to say Canada Vs USA. for multiple reasons..
This is it for me. As a Canadian living in the US, it really heats up when Canada/USA play against eachother.

Side note: During the 2010 Olympics, everyone gave me such a hard time when the States beat Canada in the preliminary game. Thing is, I got the last laugh.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM
jigglysquishy

Canada/Russia

I don't even want to play the States. I just hate them. I at least would enjoy a Russia game.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
This is it for me. As a Canadian living in the US, it really heats up when Canada/USA play against eachother.

Side note: During the 2010 Olympics, everyone gave me such a hard time when the States beat Canada in the preliminary game. Thing is, I got the last laugh.
What do you think the US interest will be in Sochi 2014 considering the time change? I worry that interest will be minimal in the States (even moreso than usual in the grand scheme of things) especially with the time change and all. It's not like 2010 where everything was Prime Time.

Interested in your view as a hockey-loving Canadian south of the border

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
What do you think the US interest will be in Sochi 2014 considering the time change? I worry that interest will be minimal in the States (even moreso than usual in the grand scheme of things) especially with the time change and all. It's not like 2010 where everything was Prime Time.

Interested in your view as a hockey-loving Canadian south of the border
I certainly think it will drop but not as much as people think. I was a freshman in college during the last Olympics and it really put hockey on the map. My roommates (not hockey people) watched hockey for the rest if our four years and have told me how thy are excited.

It will never be Canada but I don't think not will be as bad as people think

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Lollipop

I see many people are talking about a Canada-Russia rivalty.

But why isn't there any rivalty between the two European top nations?

Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post

I believe that Sweden and Russia is not the biggest rivalry becouse firstly we have the Finns, secondly Russia is allready booked with the Canadians. You could say that we are underdogs to the whole situation, like we've always been, and always wants to be.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post

Sweden and Finland don't have a rivalry? It's huge here in Finland and even though Swedes say they don't care about it, they still get all worked up at least at media and here on the boards.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Sweden and Finland don't have a rivalry? It's huge here in Finland and even though Swedes say they don't care about it, they still get all worked up at least at media and here on the boards.
lol i think he was referring to Russia and Sweden.

Old
08-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
lol i think he was referring to Russia and Sweden.
Indeed he was. However, Finland's got rivalry with Russia, with all the history and what not. But Finland and Sweden is something else. Atleast in Finland, it's the ****ing ****.

Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:28 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

The Swedes who downplay the SWE-FIN rivalry are probably feeling a little underwhelmed. After all, it's a whole different thing to have a rivalry with Canada or Russia than merely measly lil' Finland.

Think about it. The others have this whole transatlantic tension thing, grand shades of the Cold War... but theirs only stretches over the Baltic Sea - and in comparison, feels more like a particularly rambunctious lobster party.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan Ruter View Post
Indeed he was. However, Finland's got rivalry with Russia, with all the history and what not. But Finland and Sweden is something else. Atleast in Finland, it's the ****ing ****.
I also like matches against Finland, but for us we have more to lose than to win so it's not much fun. I love you're avatar btw, that is too true lol. He's always been that way.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Bullwine85

To me, Canada is the big rival, and I get the feeling a rematch with them seems almost inevitable, but when they would meet is the question.

The matchup with Russia will also make big headlines due to our history with them and the fact that it's on their home ice, but any rivalry we've had with them has thawed a bit post-Cold War IMO.

Also would love to play vs. Sweden as well. No real rivalry with them, they're just fun to play against, win or lose.

On a side note, our matchup vs. Slovenia should bring up some "Koman Coulibaly can't save you this time" jokes

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:55 AM
VictorLustig

As a Swede, it's been Canada ever since this:

Probably the most intense game I've ever seen. Finland is also a team I hate losing against, I cheer for them if we're eliminated though.

VictorLustig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
As a Swede, it's been Canada ever since this:

Probably the most intense game I've ever seen. Finland is also a team I hate losing against, I cheer for them if we're eliminated though.
Don't worry, we avenged you later on that tournament

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:46 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 250
I still think the best rivalry internationaly is Canada Russia.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwine85 View Post
Don't worry, we avenged you later on that tournament

Ehh, well i guess it is something. Great moment for Team USA and hockey as whole no doubt. Fact is we all dislike Canada when it comes to hockey, their cocky fans and the many losses we have all suffered to them through the years. Yesterday i actually thought of making a new avatar with like all the flags except Canada on the left, then a "vs." in the middle, and Canadas flag on the right. Not only would this put into graphics what we all feel towards Canada when it comes to hockey, but fact is also that there are probably about a 50 percent chance that they win the whole deal in Sochi.

I must say that that 1996 WCoH semi was also my first appreciation of how great hockey can be. Sure, i have some memories from the 1994 Olympic Final, but not as nearly as strong for a number of reasons. My internet does not permit to watch the clip but i believe it was like 2-2 on overtime, and we hit the post then Canada got the rebound and they took it all the way up ice and won the game. A lot of Hawaii-hockey before that if i remember it correctly 17 years later.