HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Interesting thoughts on Team Canada in Dreger's podcast.

Thinks Crosby, Toews, and Tavares are the likely centers. Also said that Tavares has the potential to be the best player in the NHL next season - music to Isles fans.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...22090%20&id=13

Last edited by PWJunior: 08-26-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
08-26-2013, 10:01 PM
alphahelix

IMO Hall is the best natural LW in Canada, he is one of the fastest players at the camp, he is physical, and he is going to continue to score over a PPG again this season- which will lock his spot in. We can all cheer against him if we want but he is going to make this team.

I want to see Giroux Crosby and Stamkos on a line as they are the best, most creative, highest-speed offense generators on the planet and I'm certain they can think at the same level. Doughty and Keith will be the D pairing behind them -- they proved in 2010 that they can think and act at the same speed as Crosby.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

Thinks Crosby, Toews, and Tavares are the likely centers. Also said that Tavares has the potential to be the best player in the NHL next season - music to Isles fans.

Down the middle I would go:

Crosby
Tavares
Towes
M.Richards

Old
08-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

Crosby
Tavares
Towes
M.Richards
I would go
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Bergeron

Richards does not make it in my opinion
JT I think would be Better on the wing for the larger ice surface

Old
08-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
I would go
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Bergeron

I agree with Bergeron over Richards, I forgot about Bergeron. I do think Giroux would be the better winger because he's a bit faster than JT.

Old
08-26-2013, 11:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
My forwards and lines as of today for Sochi are as follows:

E.Staal Crosby Carter

Nash Getzlaf Perry

Stamkos Tavares St. Louis

Toews Bergeron Giroux

13th Forward- Patrick Sharp
14th Forward- Matt Duchene

No Edmonton Oilers will make the forward unit- RNH, Hall and Eberle (who a lot of posters love) are not yet ready for Prime Time. Maybe in 2018.
I hate the oilers and I'd take Taylor Hall on my team over both of your spare forwards.

I love your top 12 just not the line combos.

Old
08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:

Crosby
Tavares
Towes
M.Richards
Quote:
I would go
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Bergeron

Quote:
I agree with Bergeron over Richards, I forgot about Bergeron. I do think Giroux would be the better winger because he's a bit faster than JT.
Nice choice to have to make.

Old
08-26-2013, 11:56 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I would go
Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Bergeron

That's probably how I'd roll the centers too. Although I think Bergeron is going to play wing on a line with Toews and Nash (basically Mike Richards spot from last time). Also giving the shutdown/checking line two elite face off men on both sides.

So moving Bergeron to wing allows the 4th line to be anchored by the Ducks pair of Getzlaf and Perry.

I'd like to see Crosby center the two Lightning guys.

Giroux and Tavares would be a sick combo as well. JT can flat out finish.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:04 AM
KPower

I really want to see Patrick Sharp and Logan Couture on this team.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
SimpleJack

Despite what some have said, i think its important to keep Richards on the team ahead of some players who might have slightly more offensive skill to keep him on the line with Nash and Toews. Now when the upcoming NHL season starts maybe we'll learn more, maybe a guy like Duchene becomes just too good to ignore, maybe Corey Perry plays like he did when he won the Hart, and maybe Richard's play declines too much to keep him on the team. But for now....this is how I see it. (A revised lineup from what i had earlier, now with Tavares at center and a few other changes...)

Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Toews - Richards
Couture - Bergeron - E. Staal
Getzlaf, Perry

Subban - Weber
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Letang

Price/Luongo
Crawford

Old
08-27-2013, 12:18 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I get the feeling that TC is leaning towards a Crosby, Tavares, Toews, and possibly Bergeron/Getzlaf combination up the middle. Put the smartest players at center and then fill out the wings with the players with the best skill sets for the appropriate line. Crosby and Tavares are the most complete offensive catalysts that can play with anyone so they would likely anchor the scoring lines. Toews and Bergeron are the top 2-way guys and ideal for the 3rd/4th line duty.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:31 AM
featherhawk

stamkos - crosby - st louis
hall - tavares - e staal
nash - toews - giroux
getzlaf - bergeron - perry

duchene, sharp or couture

Old
08-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That's probably how I'd roll the centers too. Although I think Bergeron is going to play wing on a line with Toews and Nash (basically Mike Richards spot from last time). Also giving the shutdown/checking line two elite face off men on both sides.

So moving Bergeron to wing allows the 4th line to be anchored by the Ducks pair of Getzlaf and Perry.

I'd like to see Crosby center the two Lightning guys.

Giroux and Tavares would be a sick combo as well. JT can flat out finish.
Getzlaf can't skate well enough for the big ice

Old
08-27-2013, 12:53 AM
mpp9

I'd go with duos.

Kunitz/Crosby. MSL/Stamkos (Stamkos at wing). Getzlaf/Perry.

There's too many centers to possibly predict who goes to wing. Getzlaf brings the size and elite playmaking factor for a third line role. But with Tavares and Giroux likely battling for the 2C spot, Bergeron and Toews deserving of a spot at center. It'll be tough.

Kunitz-Crosby-Giroux
MSL-Tavares-Stamkos
E. Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Bergeron

Old
08-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3h
Expected lines for second session: Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp; Marchand-Bergeron-Eberle; Lucic-Duchene-Neal; Hall-J. Staal-U of C player filling in
So it was probably Marchand-Bergeron-Giroux and Hall-J.Staal-Eberle, right?

Old
08-27-2013, 01:56 AM
BumFortyOne

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Nash-Toews-Bergeron
Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Richards-Sharp

I like Crosby with Stamkos and St. Louis; Crosby and St. Louis drive the play while Stamkos gets into a spot to score. Hall, Tavares and Giroux would be a dynamic line and I like the speed on the wings. Toews gets Nash again and Bergeron takes Richards' spot; has the makings of a strong matchup line. Staal, Getzlaf, and Perry are big-bodied forwards who can play the role of physical fourth liners but still have elite offensive skill. Richards and Sharp provide versatility if a change is needed.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Mr Writer

What's on the sched. for today, a rd. of golf, lunch and see you in Feb.? Get to NHL camp boys and lets get this sucker going...

Old
08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Getzlaf can't skate well enough for the big ice
Well that just isn't true. He'll be on the team.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
While I agree with the most, I think we should take at least one or two very physical / energy players. (M.Richards, Ladd, Lucic, Benn, E.Kane)

It's always good when you have a player who brings the energy when it's needed.
I have Mike Richards on the team I put together, but he's very much on the bubble. I like him because he's a low-risk option in that he'll give you a 110% effort every shift, plays smart, plays physical, can kill penalties, and play well defensively in a matchup situation. You pretty much know what you're going to get. However, in the Kings games I watched this past season and playoffs he wasn't a catalyst offensively and Carter was noticeably the better player.

Lucic isn't an Olympic-quality player on the international ice, IMO. He's a poor skater, in the sense that he lacks acceleration and isn't agile at all (which is apparent even on the NHL ice surface), and the entire premise of having him on the team, to create a strong forecheck, would be negated in the likely event he couldn't get in on the forecheck in time. Like most players his size he's fairly fast once he gets going. He's also a liability defensively, as he seems to have poor instincts without the puck (and consistently does the "wide loop" on the backcheck, which is a pet peeve of mine ).

Kane would be a good option as a lower-line energy player - extremely fast, very agressive, and a good goal scorer. Played very poorly in the KHL during the lockout, which I speculate as being the reason he's not at the orientation camp.

I'm sort of indifferent to Ladd and Benn. Benn's not at the orientation camp, so that should tell you something. Good all-around player, still developing, but somewhat inconsistent. Ladd's a good character guy and can chip in in a variety of ways, but I wasn't a huge fan of his performance at the Worlds this year where he played with Giroux and Stamkos. I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if he were on the team, but I think he needs to get off to a great start next season to knock someone like Richards off the team and also to surpass the likes of Sharp, Nash, Couture and Hall who are probably ahead of him at LW.

I currently have Duchene on my team. Not as physical as these other guys, but extremely fast (like Kane), and very creative offensively. Sometimes that energy can be created by a change of pace too; he's a completely different player than, say Getzlaf or Tavares, which keeps the opposition on their heels.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Human
cynic

imo, centers for the four lines will be Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf and Bergeron. these four plus Tavares are in the mix.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Man, I can't wait!!!!!!

Old
08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
ChrisWinsor

What do ya think of this?

Giroux Crosby Nash
Stamkos Toews Tavares
Duchene Bergeron Richards
Perry Getzlaf E. Staal
Couture Sharp

Weber Pietrangelo
Keith Seabrook
Doughty Letang
Hamhuis Subban

Price
Luongo
Crawford

Old
08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I hate the oilers and I'd take Taylor Hall on my team over both of your spare forwards.

I love your top 12 just not the line combos.
People forget how good of all around player Patrick Sharp is. Steve Yzerman mentioned this during the Cup Finals. Whenever he has played for Canada on the big ice at the WHC, he has played great. Sharp's versatility- playing any position, all roles, and a solid two way game makes him a tremendous asset

for Sochi. Forget the line combos. My 14th forward is between Hall/Couture/Duchene, but as of right now, i have Duchene. Hall played himself off the team after his play the WC this year. Things could change from now until Sochi, especially if Hall lights it up the first couple of months.

Old
08-27-2013, 01:34 PM
PhoenyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Well that just isn't true. He'll be on the team.
Agree. No idea why some people are claiming Getzlaf can't skate well. He likes to slow the pace down sometimes like Thornton but Getzy can power through the neutral zone and into the offensive end better than just about anyone.

Old
08-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I think Tavares should play wing. He has shown in the past to be productive and effective as a winger and it allows less versatile (but still effective) centres to slot in at their original positions.

E.g. Playing Tavares at wing gives him the opportunity to play a bigger scoring role while letting a guy like Bergeron best utilize his skills as a two-way centre and face-off monster.

Closed Thread