HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 02:16 PM
SephF
Patreeky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Interesting thoughts on Team Canada in Dreger's podcast.

Thinks Crosby, Toews, and Tavares are the likely centers. Also said that Tavares has the potential to be the best player in the NHL next season - music to Isles fans.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...22090%20&id=13
What happened to Crosby?

Old
08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I think Tavares should play wing. He has shown in the past to be productive and effective as a winger and it allows less versatile (but still effective) centres to slot in at their original positions.

E.g. Playing Tavares at wing gives him the opportunity to play a bigger scoring role while letting a guy like Bergeron best utilize his skills as a two-way centre and face-off monster.
I agree.

And on international ice Tavares has traditionally been used on the wing, going back to his days at the World Juniors, and is a goal machine on big ice. One of his best assets is creating space, so when he has even more space, he does a good job of using it to give himself more time

I would start him on wing because as you say it does allow for a less versatile guy (IMO Getzlaf) to be a centre.

Old
08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I agree.

And on international ice Tavares has traditionally been used on the wing, going back to his days at the World Juniors, and is a goal machine on big ice. One of his best assets is creating space, so when he has even more space, he does a good job of using it to give himself more time

I would start him on wing because as you say it does allow for a less versatile guy (IMO Getzlaf) to be a centre.
Yesterday at the walk-throughs Babcock did have him at center though, with Stamkos at RW and Couture at LW. I don't want to read too much into the lines, but I did find that the most interesting piece of information from yesterday (as well as Babcock separating MSL and Stamkos). I'm not sure if anyone is clear yet on how to best utilize Stamkos (C, RW, or LW) and if you recall, he played RW with Giroux at the World Championships.

Old
08-27-2013, 02:58 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Yesterday at the walk-throughs Babcock did have him at center though, with Stamkos at RW and Couture at LW. I don't want to read too much into the lines, but I did find that the most interesting piece of information from yesterday (as well as Babcock separating MSL and Stamkos). I'm not sure if anyone is clear yet on how to best utilize Stamkos (C, RW, or LW) and if you recall, he played RW with Giroux at the World Championships.
I think the two centers who are guaranteed to move to wing are Stamkos and Staal. Stamkos as you said played on Giroux's wing at the Worlds and was very good.

Staal of course was Crosby's winger in the medal rounds of the Olympics.

JT was probably at center in the walkthrough's because of the amount of guys they had (e.g 8 lines of forwards) so they needed at least 8 guys to be centers. JT is one of those tweeners, who really could be a center or wing.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I agree.

From what I remember, Tavares was the 13th forward in the 2008 WJC and was a center in the 2009 - between DiDomenico and Esposito. As for the WHC, I think he did play wing during his 1st and was a center in the last 2 that he played in. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I distinctly remember Tavares centering Skinner and Eberle(?) in 2011. He did play wing while playing for Bern during the lockout, that I do know.

It's a fair point to put him at wing, but I just get the impression that TC wants him at center. With Crosby, JT probably has the highest hockey sense/instincts of all the forwards and putting him at his natural position would help form 2 dangerous scoring lines. While I was hoping to see Crosby and Tavares together on a line, wanting to separate your two best offensive catalysts to balance things out makes a ton of sense.

I'm curious to see how things play out.

Last edited by PWJunior: 08-27-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

I honestly think Phaneuf makes it.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:13 PM
neutral*

edit: nevermind.

Last edited by neutral*: 08-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old
08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Knowledge View Post
I doubt it. He's better than people give him credit for but Canada is rich on RH d-men. Only way Phaneuf would have a shot is if he played the left side. You never know how Phaneuf and other guys will start the season off, so I can't say for certain yet.
Isn't Dion a LH shot who plays the left side? I would think that helps his cause since Canada is so stacked at RD?

Old
08-27-2013, 03:18 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
I have Mike Richards on the team I put together, but he's very much on the bubble. I like him because he's a low-risk option in that he'll give you a 110% effort every shift, plays smart, plays physical, can kill penalties, and play well defensively in a matchup situation. You pretty much know what you're going to get. However, in the Kings games I watched this past season and playoffs he wasn't a catalyst offensively and Carter was noticeably the better player.

Lucic isn't an Olympic-quality player on the international ice, IMO. He's a poor skater, in the sense that he lacks acceleration and isn't agile at all (which is apparent even on the NHL ice surface), and the entire premise of having him on the team, to create a strong forecheck, would be negated in the likely event he couldn't get in on the forecheck in time. Like most players his size he's fairly fast once he gets going. He's also a liability defensively, as he seems to have poor instincts without the puck (and consistently does the "wide loop" on the backcheck, which is a pet peeve of mine ).

Kane would be a good option as a lower-line energy player - extremely fast, very agressive, and a good goal scorer. Played very poorly in the KHL during the lockout, which I speculate as being the reason he's not at the orientation camp.

I'm sort of indifferent to Ladd and Benn. Benn's not at the orientation camp, so that should tell you something. Good all-around player, still developing, but somewhat inconsistent. Ladd's a good character guy and can chip in in a variety of ways, but I wasn't a huge fan of his performance at the Worlds this year where he played with Giroux and Stamkos. I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if he were on the team, but I think he needs to get off to a great start next season to knock someone like Richards off the team and also to surpass the likes of Sharp, Nash, Couture and Hall who are probably ahead of him at LW.

I currently have Duchene on my team. Not as physical as these other guys, but extremely fast (like Kane), and very creative offensively. Sometimes that energy can be created by a change of pace too; he's a completely different player than, say Getzlaf or Tavares, which keeps the opposition on their heels.

You're right. I love Duchene. I don't know where he fits in, but he's really on the way to make it. Of course, if his start is cold, then he's not going anywhere IMO.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Razor29
1-1-0

vCash: 138
Would really like to see Duchene, Hall and Couture on the team. Speedy guys who play well on the large surface.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
neutral*

Quote:
Isn't Dion a LH shot who plays the left side? I would think that helps his cause since Canada is so stacked at RD?
No Idea what I was thinking. Delete my post please. Always thought he was a right handed D.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:26 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Knowledge View Post
No Idea what I was thinking. Delete my post please. Always thought he was a right handed D.
Haha, no biggie. I get brain farts all the time too. You made me scratch my head and I googled it to make sure.

Dion should definitely be in the mix.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
86Habs

Quote:
It may help his cause, but I for one certainly wouldn't want him there ahead of more consistent and reliable LHed defensive defenceman like Bouwmeester or Hamhuis.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:33 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
I honestly think Phaneuf makes it.
While Phaneuf is a good player, I don't think he makes the team. I'd take Boumeester, Letang, Hamhuis, and Subban over him.

These were my defensive lines for your reference:

Keith-Seabrook
Weber-Doughty
Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Subban

* The only player that may not be starting on my roster would be Seabrook. With Hitchcock coaching, I think JayBo and Piets both make the team.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
He sure is a LHer.

And he sure has a chance.
I doubt Canada takes 4 LHers, because that means we leave one of Seabrook / Letang / Pietrangelo / Subban home. And I doubt Phaneuf makes it over Letang / Pietrangelo / Subban just because he's LHer. These are the left-handers in the camp:

Keith, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, Phaneuf, M.Staal, Vlasic, Methot, (Hamonic ?)

Keith is an obvious choice. Then one of Bouwmeester / Hamhuis for sure, IMO. And the last one could be anyone.

Old
08-27-2013, 04:07 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
He sure is a LHer.

Keith is an obvious choice. Then one of Bouwmeester / Hamhuis for sure, IMO. And the last one could be anyone.
Why not take both? Hamhuis has shown that he has been great on international ice and I think Boumeester would do wonders at the tournament. If we want more "grit" on the backend, I'd take Subban over Phaneuf who would replace Boumeester.

Old
08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow

vCash: 50
Quote:

Kane would be a good option as a lower-line energy player - extremely fast, very agressive, and a good goal scorer. Played very poorly in the KHL during the lockout, which I speculate as being the reason he's not at the orientation camp.

Ladd's a good character guy and can chip in in a variety of ways, but I wasn't a huge fan of his performance at the Worlds this year where he played with Giroux and Stamkos. I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if he were on the team, but I think he needs to get off to a great start next season to knock someone like Richards off the team and also to surpass the likes of Sharp, Nash, Couture and Hall who are probably ahead of him at LW.
can't disagree with you more regarding Ladd at WC - thought he played very well in all situations.

and alluding to your earlier posts regarding grit/character (which I agree with 100%) , Ladd has those but he also happens to be an excellent plus possession player going up against other teams' toughs - I think he suffers from some 3rd line stereotype that people who don't regularly watch the Jets still cling to.

Old
08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
therealdeal

Does anyone know when Canada will be releasing their new Jersey? Anyone heard anything?

Old
08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
SB164

TSN’s Team Canada projection for Sochi 2014 is as follows:

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

Defence

Left Defence Right Defence

Duncan Keith Drew Doughty
Marc Staal Shea Weber
Jay Bouwmeester Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Boyle PK Subban

Forwards

Left Wing Centre Right Wing

Chris Kunitz Sidney Crosby Steven Stamkos
Eric Staal Jonathan Toews Rick Nash
Logan Couture John Tavares Claude Giroux
Patrick Sharp Ryan Getzlaf Jeff Carter

Old
08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Leidi J

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m
Read it, weep, gnash teeth, whatever: http://*******/15h956E Remember, tho, not personal preference exercise as much as mind reading staff.

Quote:
TSN today revealed its projected Team Canada for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. The projected selections represent the consensus opinion of the NHL on TSN panel featuring James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, and Ray Ferraro, who are all live on location in Calgary for Canada’s National Men’s Team orientation camp.

The projected team was revealed in two segments that premiered in tonight’s 6 p.m. ET edition of SPORTSCENTRE on TSN2 (click here to watch both segments).

TSN’s Team Canada projection for Sochi 2014 is as follows:

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

Defence
Left Defence - Right Defence

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Marc Staal - Shea Weber
Jay Bouwmeester - Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Boyle - PK Subban

Forwards
Left Wing - Centre - Right Wing
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash
Logan Couture - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Patrick Sharp - Ryan Getzlaf - Jeff Carter
--- - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis

Throughout the week, the NHL ON TSN panel will continue to bring hockey fans unparalleled coverage of Canada’s National Men’s Team orientation camp, with reports, features and in-depth analysis across all of TSN’s industry-leading platforms.
http://ctvmedia.ca/Network/TSN/Press...for-Sochi-2014

Old
08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Just lol @ TSN's list.

Kunitz making the team over Bergeron and the reigning Art Ross winner St. Louis.

Marc Staal shouldn't make the team over Hamhuis, but I understand TSN's reasoning as he's a "Staal" and TC might favor him due to his last name.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
TSNís Team Canada projection for Sochi 2014 is as follows:

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

Defence

Marc Staal Shea Weber
Dan Boyle PK Subban

Forwards

Tsn can't pick at all seriously Kunitz Boyle Boumesster sharp carter getzlaf
Taylor Hall is the fastest player and best LW in the nhl and they leave him off that's why I watch sportsnet

Old
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

Bergeron as a sub? Hate that team already. Especially since Couture and Kunitz are over him.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
whooers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
TSNís Team Canada projection for Sochi 2014 is as follows:

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

Defence

Marc Staal Shea Weber
Dan Boyle PK Subban

Forwards

Cannot see Couture making it, Ferraro however has a massive hard-on for him like I've never seen before

Old
08-27-2013, 07:01 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Kunitz LOL

And no Letang, his skating is superb for the big ice

Closed Thread