HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 06:08 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

vCash: 500
They said Corey Perry was "not very good" at WCs two years ago. He had 7 points in 8 games and was leading the team in +/- among the forwards with +7

Anyway, based on his play last season he shouldn't be on the team.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Team canada
Hall-Crosby-Tavares
Nash-Toews-Stamkos
E.Stall-Giroux-Perry
E.Kane-Bergeron-Eberle
Couture- Nugent-Hopkins

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Letang
Pietrangelo-Subban
Seabrook-Stall
Price
Luongo

PP Stamkos-Tavares-Nugent-Hopkins
Weber-Crosby

Perry-Toews-Hall
Giroux-Keith

PK

Bergeron-Stall
Weber-Keith

Toews-Perry
Doughty-Pietrengelo

Shootout Crosby
Toews
Giroux
Eberle
Tavares

Old
08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
ronnyweed

It's the Olympics, I stil don't understand why we can't qualify 2 teams. Other events have multiple entries from the same country.

Countries sweep the podium all the time, padding their medal count in sports they excel in.

Unless there's a different rule for team sports (not just hockey)

Old
08-27-2013, 06:34 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I think Lebrun was dead on when he said they might be overthinking things by putting Kunitz on the team just because Sidney "is familiar with him."

In terms of stuff that shows up on the scoresheet (skating, passing, shooting, etc), there's nothing Kunitz can do--zip--that St Louis doesn't do better. Obliterating D on dump-ins, which Kunitz does do better than St Louis, isn't something that's wise to attempt on international ice.

I'm also not sure whose ass Nash keeps kissing to keep a mortal lock on his roster spot for these things. He was awful in both Olympics. Did nothing in 06 and probably accounted for half of Canada's turnovers in '10.

I also got a kick out of Ferraro saying they can't take both Subban and Letang because they're both bad defensively. I agree, but I've yet to see a Habs fan admit that.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:05 PM
neutral*

vCash: 917
I think Hamhuis has to be at least depth on this team... You need a shutdown guy like him and he's one of the best in the league at it behind Weber and Chara.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:14 PM
86Habs

Re: TSN's projected roster:

- On defence, I'm surprised by the inclusion Boyle over Letang (the most obvious omission), Seabrook, and Hamhuis. They're banking on Staal regaining his form, which is fine, and I presume Hamhuis would be next up if he doesn't in order to maintain three LHed Dmen.

- Up front, I'd like to see Bergeron in a more significant role than 13th forward, and splitting up Stamkos and MSL is a little puzzling too. At least they're both there though. Couture is a pretty good selection IMO. As far as Kunitz goes, if he's on the same pace at the start of next season as he was for the majority of last season, I'll have no problem with him being there, as his play will have warranted it.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Chris Kunitz as the 1LW is just sad.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

If the names in the TSN mock are any indication, the entire left side of the forward lineup will pretty much be dictated by early season performance.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
No disrespect to Chris, but if he was not playing in Pittsburgh next to Crosby, his name would never have been brought up even in the orientation. Rather have Perry, Duchene or even Hall than this guy. I think Hockey Canada knows better than a bunch of TSN panelists. I heard one of the panelists (forgot who) make a case for Milan Lucic on the big ice for Canada (LOL). Give me a break TSN.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Yeah, having the league's top scoring left winger on your top line is "sad".

Old
08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
They said Corey Perry was "not very good" at WCs two years ago. He had 7 points in 8 games and was leading the team in +/- among the forwards with +7

Anyway, based on his play last season he shouldn't be on the team.
If you ignore last year (shortened NHL Season) Perry had 37 Goals and 50 Goals (leading the league) two seasons prior to that. He played very good hockey for Canada in 2010 and has played very well on the big ice for Canada at the WC's. If he has a good start to the year, i still want him on the team next to Getzlaf.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
It is sad. No disrespect to Chris, but if he was not playing in Pittsburgh next to Crosby, his name would never have been brought up even in the orientation. Rather have Perry, Duchene or even Hall than this guy. I think Hockey Canada knows better than a bunch of TSN panelists. I heard one of the panelists (forgot who) make a case for Milan Lucic on the big ice for Canada (LOL). Give me a break TSN.
Yeah, it's too bad that could never happen for Team Canada.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:45 PM
RacMan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
Team canada
Hall-Crosby-Tavares
Nash-Toews-Stamkos
E.Stall-Giroux-Perry
E.Kane-Bergeron-Eberle
Couture- Nugent-Hopkins

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Letang
Pietrangelo-Subban
Seabrook-Stall
Price
Luongo

PP Stamkos-Tavares-Nugent-Hopkins
Weber-Crosby

Perry-Toews-Hall
Giroux-Keith

PK

Bergeron-Stall
Weber-Keith

Toews-Perry
Doughty-Pietrengelo

Shootout Crosby
Toews
Giroux
Eberle
Tavares
awful team.....your oiler boys should not make it

Old
08-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacMan93 View Post
awful team.....your oiler boys should not make it
Hall is the best LW in the nhl and he will easily make the team

Old
08-27-2013, 08:49 PM
RacMan93

Quote:
Hall is the best LW in the nhl and he will easily make the team
hes on the buble. He was canada`s worst player at the world championships a few months ago.

the big ice does nothing for his game.

he is a pure north-south player

Old
08-27-2013, 08:50 PM
God Bless Canada

I picked 19 of the 23 players for the 2010 team. I think it's a much tougher proposition this time around. There are more options this time around, especially up front, and the big ice factor makes it more difficult. You still need to win the battles along the boards and in front of the net, but it's not as imperative on the big ice as it is on an NHL-sized ice surface.

Even goaltending becomes much more difficult to evaluate. The angles are different. The timing is different. There might be half a dozen goalies who are credible candidates in net. In the last two Olympics, you knew that Broduer and Luongo would be the top two goalies, and then it was a matter of finding the right personality to be a No. 3. It's out the window this time.

My picks at this time are Luongo, Crawford and Price, but Smith, Fleury and Ward are also options. Ward is tailor-made for that No. 3 role.

I have the three primary incumbents - Doughty, Keith and Weber - on D. Then it becomes a matter of finding the remaining pieces. I have Letang on the team; I love what he'd bring on the big ice. Pieterangelo is getting a lot of discussion. Staal would look good on the big ice in a sturdy role; Bouwmeester's one of those guys who'll likely be more effective on the big ice with his speed and anticipation.

I think Subban's the wildcard. If he maintains his play from last year, he should be on the team, especially if traditional IIHF rules apply, and we can dress him as a seventh defenceman. If his play tails off, he'll be in trouble. I have concerns about his ability to accept a lesser role, and I have concerns about his ability to play that steady game needed in a short tournament. I watched him throw a tantrum on the bench in the playoffs against Ottawa, and it's that type of conduct that concerns me about him.

I'm not sure about Seabrook or Boyle. Seabrook struggled in 2010; he could be even in tougher shape on the big ice. Boyle's play slipped last year; I'm not convinced he'll be able to regain the form we're used to seeing from him. Francois Beauchemin was an all-star last year, but I don't think he's in the mix. Guys like Phaneuf and Mike Green don't seem to be getting much discussion, in part because they're risky propositions in short tournaments.

Dan Hamhuis might be a nice darkhorse pick if you're looking for a solid, steady defenceman in a short tournament. It'll be interesting to see if a young defenceman (like Schultz or Hamilton) plays his way into consideration like Doughty did four years ago.

Up front, one of the biggest challenges will be finding centres who can shift to wing. Canada has an abundance of outstanding under-30 pivots. And while there are some strong candidates for the wings, the depth isn't as good as it is up the middle.

We know who the locks are. I wouldn't pick Kunitz. I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep up on the big ice. It's great that he and Crosby dominate in the NHL, but Kunitz could be a hindrance on big ice in the Olympics, playing against teams that don't have a weakness.

Logan Couture was my darkhorse pick until he was included on TSN's team. World class hockey sense who can play at centre or wing. And I do think Perry will be there. He's a terrific goal-scoring winger (something we don't have an abundance of) who thrives in front of the net.

If this was being played on small ice, a guy like Andrew Ladd would be an intriguing darkhorse pick, but on big ice, he's likely not much of an option. I'd also be hesitant to select Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, despite their excellent hockey sense. (It's so hard to not advocate a reunion of the Richards-Toews-Nash superline from the Vancouver Games).

One notable snub on the TSN list was Taylor Hall, but by the time December rolls around, and it's time to pick the team, he will be there. He's skilled, he's a great skater and he's a gifted goal scorer. He's tailor-made for Sochi.

There might be 12-15 players in the mix for the final few spots among the team's forward ranks. It'll make for a very interesting start to the season.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
hes on the buble. He was canada`s worst player at the world championships a few months ago.

He didn't play bad Ruff didn't play him at all

Old
08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
RacMan93

Quote:
He didn't play bad Ruff didn't play him at all
he played enough.

duchene is just a far superior talent. duchene,stamkos and giroux were the best players for canada at that tournament.

I just dont think hall has the skills to be playing with crosby,giroux,stamkos and tavares.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
he played enough.

duchene is just a far superior talent. duchene,stamkos and giroux were the best players for canada at that tournament.

I just dont think hall has the skills to be playing with crosby,giroux,stamkos and tavares.
Hall scored more than Giroux and Tavares he didn't play more much at the worlds he will be there

Old
08-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

IMO it should be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos

Staal-Toews-Duchene

Nash-Tavares-Giroux

Ladd-Bergeron-St.Louis
Eberle, Getzlaf

Doughty-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Seabrook-Keith
Methot-Letang

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Old
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
IMO it should be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos

Staal-Toews-Duchene

Nash-Tavares-Giroux

Ladd-Bergeron-St.Louis
Eberle, Getzlaf

Doughty-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Seabrook-Keith
Methot-Letang

Luongo
Price
Crawford
Kunitz and methot your kidding right

Old
08-27-2013, 09:20 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

No one on the team generated more shots/60 than Hall did at the Worlds.

The fact that he didn't get more ice was laughable.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Kunitz and methot your kidding right
It's been well documented the troubles of finding 'The' winger for Crosby. Who better than his NHL teammate? I think they should totally make Kunitz the 1LW

Old
08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
It's been well documented the troubles of finding 'The' winger for Crosby. Who better than his NHL teammate? I think they should totally make Kunitz the 1LW
Hall plays that same kind of game

Old
08-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Hall plays that same kind of game
I disagree, Hall plays at a much quicker pace and thats only the obvious difference.

Besides, why bother experimenting when you have something that works really damn well?

I know you want your boy to have the honor of playing the #1 LW spot, but it's not about that. It's about fitting in.

Closed Thread